New GK

541 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New GK

by Hound » 07 Jul 2022 11:20

Snowflake Royal Oh look. Bouzanis wasn’t required. Who'd have thunk it.

Would rather make that call later in the season. Have a feeling he’ll end up first choice (and Southwood will go anyway)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2022 13:55

Hound

Would rather make that call later in the season. Have a feeling he’ll end up first choice (and Southwood will go anyway)

I hope not. That would mean Lumley really was shit and we were choosing a 30 odd L2 keeper over either of our young keepers with more recent higher level experience.

I hope Southwood goes. He's been treated badly here and deserves a shot as No 1 somewhere that he can progress his career.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Jul 2022 14:03

YorkshireRoyal99

I still think we did need a back up goalkeeper, as it seems as if it's been made clear that Southwood is surplus to requirements, it's just his decision to not move. Fair play to compete for places, hopefully he can show signs of improvement.

Good news, that means the substitute keeper position in the two Middlesbrough games is now covered.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2022 14:21

Snowflake Royal
Hound

I hope not. That would mean Lumley really was shit and we were choosing a 30 odd L2 keeper over either of our young keepers with more recent higher level experience.

I hope Southwood goes. He's been treated badly here and deserves a shot as No 1 somewhere that he can progress his career.

Has he been treated badly?

I don’t think Ince rates him, and it’s the game that if that’s the case then he gets replaced

Not like he’s been made to train with the youths, publicly called out or anything

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2022 14:29

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound

I don’t think Ince rates him, and it’s the game that if that’s the case then he gets replaced

Not like he’s been made to train with the youths, publicly called out or anything

He had his contract extended and made his first team break through, got scapegoated after some errors and then told to leave within about 6 months. And so far we've not signed a replacement clearly better.

Yeah, I don't think he's been treated well.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2022 14:38

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal I hope not. That would mean Lumley really was shit and we were choosing a 30 odd L2 keeper over either of our young keepers with more recent higher level experience.

He had his contract extended and made his first team break through, got scapegoated after some errors and then told to leave within about 6 months. And so far we've not signed a replacement clearly better.

Hmm, thin line between being scapegoated and just the belief we could get someone better in. He was looking very shakey post the Hull error - admittedly not all his fault

Apparently not told to leave either

It’s a tough profession. Think the general feel was he wasn’t up to champ level at the moment. Can’t just keep playing him

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Jul 2022 14:58

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound

Hmm, thin line between being scapegoated and just the belief we could get someone better in. He was looking very shakey post the Hull error - admittedly not all his fault

Apparently not told to leave either

It’s a tough profession. Think the general feel was he wasn’t up to champ level at the moment. Can’t just keep playing him

Agree with that, I don't think he was up to this level, had a really good purple patch when Rafael stupidly got injured where he was excellent for about 4/5 games during a good bit of team's form, but looked unconvincing outside of that.

Hard to say without him playing competitive football for the club, but I think Lumley is overall a better goalkeeper than Southwood.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2022 16:22

:lol:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Aug 2022 15:25

Millsy
Stranded
Pepe the Horseman I know we need to give him a chance etc and fans are notoriously negative about players when they leave, but I haven't seen a single positive comment about him from Boro fans. Not even, solid shot stopper that's prone to an error. Just unanimously absolute shite.

Here you go :wink:

https://twitter.com/JoeJitsu2022/status ... wX55Mr3LGA

Also just read another that says - "Lumley is a perfectly serviceable mid-level championship keeper. However as any #Boro fan will tell you, he's got at least one rick a game in him hence the sale"

So hardly glowing but probably shows what he is - a mid-table Champ keeper who won't cut it for a team pushing for promotion but as the upper limit of our aspirations for this year is about 20th, he'll probably be fine.

Don't want to harp on with my opinion but that ["upper limit of our aspirations... 20th"] is exactly why it's a terrible idea, unless we're resigned to being relegated. Such a team needs a GOOD keeper. At the very least what Rafael was before he lost his head and became a liability. Or what Southwood was before he lost his head and became a liability. Ditto Hein, ditto Nyland.

My protestations thus far above have been assuming he was at least just an average keeper like Rafael was. If he's already known to be a bit of a liability then **** me this is nothing short of a ridiculous move and I therefore agree with whomever it is in pages above, who says that it's an odd move to move on our own boy Southwood to bring in this chap.

I refuse to believe we wouldn't be able to get someone better than someone with an error in him every game. No chance. I hope Ince et al know what they're doing - relegation season coming up with the dodgiest defence in the league already and another error-prone keeper.

God help us.

Still happy guys? Still defending this signing?

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 13 Aug 2022 15:46

TBF the 'Borough fans did try and warn us.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 13 Aug 2022 20:15

Snowflake Royal
Hound

And as his loan to Cheltenham is proving so far he is also shit

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 13 Aug 2022 21:43

You're only as good as the defence in front of you

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 13 Aug 2022 22:07

Millsy
Millsy
Stranded

Also just read another that says - "Lumley is a perfectly serviceable mid-level championship keeper. However as any #Boro fan will tell you, he's got at least one rick a game in him hence the sale"

So hardly glowing but probably shows what he is - a mid-table Champ keeper who won't cut it for a team pushing for promotion but as the upper limit of our aspirations for this year is about 20th, he'll probably be fine.

Don't want to harp on with my opinion but that ["upper limit of our aspirations... 20th"] is exactly why it's a terrible idea, unless we're resigned to being relegated. Such a team needs a GOOD keeper. At the very least what Rafael was before he lost his head and became a liability. Or what Southwood was before he lost his head and became a liability. Ditto Hein, ditto Nyland.

My protestations thus far above have been assuming he was at least just an average keeper like Rafael was. If he's already known to be a bit of a liability then **** me this is nothing short of a ridiculous move and I therefore agree with whomever it is in pages above, who says that it's an odd move to move on our own boy Southwood to bring in this chap.

I refuse to believe we wouldn't be able to get someone better than someone with an error in him every game. No chance. I hope Ince et al know what they're doing - relegation season coming up with the dodgiest defence in the league already and another error-prone keeper.

God help us.

Easily as good as De Gea … today

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 13 Aug 2022 23:09

Royal_jimmy
Snowflake Royal
Hound

And as his loan to Cheltenham is proving so far he is also shit

Reading got a right result getting rid of southwood! Dog shit! #ctfc

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Aug 2022 07:15

Millsy
Millsy
Stranded

God help us.

Given it was one game and he has otherwise looked solid, yes. If yesterday is the level he puts out consistently, then no.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Aug 2022 13:20

Joe does read hobnob so go easy

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Aug 2022 13:40

Well if he searches out social media about himself in general, the club should probably be trying to help him put a stop to that, because there's no way it ends well.

And he certainly shouldn’t be reading a fansite after dropping that performance if he values his mental health.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Aug 2022 20:11

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal I hope not. That would mean Lumley really was shit and we were choosing a 30 odd L2 keeper over either of our young keepers with more recent higher level experience.

He hasn't but he isn't any good either. I don't rate Southwood. He's too short and makes we many mistakes as Lumley. We've been haunted for keepers since Martinez left mind you. Never felt the defence played comfortably with Southwood in goal. Similar to when Mannone played for us.

If Lumley only does that for 3 games this season but is solid beyond that then I'll call him a success

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Aug 2022 20:40

Stranded
Millsy
Millsy

God help us.

Given it was one game and he has otherwise looked solid, yes. If yesterday is the level he puts out consistently, then no.

The ironic thing is, of course, these posters (or at least most of them), certainly wouldn’t be bumping this thread the other way around. People’s desires to look “right” are strange. Although finding it equally strange people going on about Southwood in a negative manner

Lumley will win us games and lose us games - I.e. the life of a goalkeeper

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Aug 2022 21:00

URZZZZ
Stranded
Millsy

The ironic thing is, of course, these posters (or at least most of them), certainly wouldn’t be bumping this thread the other way around. People’s desires to look “right” are strange. Although finding it equally strange people going on about Southwood in a negative manner

Lumley will win us games and lose us games - I.e. the life of a goalkeeper

Bumping this thread? No, probably not. But they'd be praising good performances.

It's certainly tempting when you get a load of shit for expressing an evidence based concern that later seems founded to get the sstisfaction of pointing out you were wrong to be dismissed. Because you'll rarely get anyone volunteering that you called it right. It's not really about looking right but vindication.

Obviously still too early to say how Lumley will go. But early signs are pretty much in line with the boro feedback and lowlights reel.

541 posts