Rumour - The return of Mark Bowen (and Eddie Niedzwiecki?)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - The return of Mark Bowen (and Eddie Niedzwiecki?)

by Hound » 11 May 2022 07:49

According to JLow Bowen keen to keep swift

Should we offer him a deal on say 20-25k a week? Not sure myself. Be a big chunk of wage

If the wba link is true and he would go there, I do wonder if he’d happily stay with us if we matched what they are offering

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 May 2022 08:18

Hound According to JLow Bowen keen to keep swift

Should we offer him a deal on say 20-25k a week? Not sure myself. Be a big chunk of wage

If the wba link is true and he would go there, I do wonder if he’d happily stay with us if we matched what they are offering

JLow's article suggests he would have to take a wage cut but it also say we can only offer new players 1 year deals again, which I don't think is true - if we stay within the wage budget.

If he has to take a wage cut then the only way I see him staying is if his personal situation means he doesn't want to move - I have literally no idea if he is single, married, has a family or whatever but if he is happy in his circumstances then even taking a cut to 15k pw may be preferrable to getting 25k and having to shift your life, for example Bruce is on record as saying players need to live near the training ground and not have a commute of more than 45mins I think it was.

He's been here 5 years now so may be a tougher wrench to move on when he may have built a good life in the area. Would say it is still very likely he will move on.

Also, whilst he is clearly a very good Champ player - I would be concerned if we put a lot of our eggs in a Swift shaped basket if it further limits our options to build the squad elsewhere. So yes, if the deal is right for all then fine but only if it is part of a wider plan to improve the squad markedly but a team built around a performing Swift and a fit and perfoming Joao has every chance of doing well but if we build around him and he is injured or off form, then there is a guaranteed struggle ahead.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 May 2022 08:35

Hound According to JLow Bowen keen to keep swift

No, our budget is slashed. We need to avoid big disparities in wage with squad.

If he'd take £18k or preferably lower, fine. We cannot pay over £20k. Our wage budget needs to fund 25 senior players and coaching staff, not sure if the ~30+ Academy players are included. That means we can't afford to pay an individual 1/16th or more of our budget.

Swift leaving could fund two players on £10k.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 11 May 2022 08:57

Honestly, I don’t want Swift to stay. He’s been a great player at times over the last 5 years but he’s often been injured and marked out of games. I like the idea of a clear out of the current squad which on paper should be have been much better but have been garbage most of the time.

As I’ve mentioned before I’ll be getting a season ticket for next season which is my first in a while and I want to see young hungry players with a few older heads who aren’t injured every 5 minutes. I really hope that the fans and the players can get back the rapport that has been evident in a couple of our most recent games. I may well be disappointed but I feel that the upcoming season is a really important one for the club and they’ll need all the support they can get.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 May 2022 09:15

blythspartan Honestly, I don’t want Swift to stay. He’s been a great player at times over the last 5 years but he’s often been injured and marked out of games. I like the idea of a clear out of the current squad which on paper should be have been much better but have been garbage most of the time.

As I’ve mentioned before I’ll be getting a season ticket for next season which is my first in a while and I want to see young hungry players with a few older heads who aren’t injured every 5 minutes. I really hope that the fans and the players can get back the rapport that has been evident in a couple of our most recent games. I may well be disappointed but I feel that the upcoming season is a really important one for the club and they’ll need all the support they can get.

I despair with some posts. You want our best player to leave? Am i reading it right? He's often injured? He played 38 games last season. Probably the one single factor that we stayed up in a god awful season. He played in every calendar month last season. Marked out of games? You seen his goal tally and assists from midfield? I take it, its a new season ticket you are getting?

But no - lets just bin off our one player, who pretty much every other championship club would want in their team!!! :roll:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 May 2022 09:19

If he wanted to stay at £20k/week, we'd be absolutely mad not to offer it to him.

If you have Puscas and Moore leaving, we can afford 1 or 2 players with a top-end wage.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 11 May 2022 09:37

Could Swift renew his contract with Reading but still move on in the summer? That way the club get a transfer fee but Swift still gets his move away? I guess he would miss out on a signing on fee (or similar) if he was a free agent (and lower wages?) Might not be worth his while but would be beneficial for the club he's been at for years.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 May 2022 09:39

morganb Could Swift renew his contract with Reading but still move on in the summer? That way the club get a transfer fee but Swift still gets his move away? I guess he would miss out on a signing on fee (or similar) if he was a free agent (and lower wages?) Might not be worth his while but would be beneficial for the club he's been at for years.

It "could" happen in theory, although I can't imagine he'd do that, nor the club really either.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 11 May 2022 10:46

morganb Could Swift renew his contract with Reading but still move on in the summer? That way the club get a transfer fee but Swift still gets his move away? I guess he would miss out on a signing on fee (or similar) if he was a free agent (and lower wages?) Might not be worth his while but would be beneficial for the club he's been at for years.

He'd be the first to have ever done that - and from then on it would be know as a 'Swift' transfer :D (as opposed to a Bosman transfer ... ).

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 May 2022 10:59

Hendo If he wanted to stay at £20k/week, we'd be absolutely mad not to offer it to him.

If you have Puscas and Moore leaving, we can afford 1 or 2 players with a top-end wage.

But it almost certainly would not be approved by the EFL as it would break our agreed business plan. We have a restriction on wages meaning we can’t give contracts that exceed an average wage we have committed to. The key issue is that as fans we don’t know what that average is !

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 May 2022 11:12

Nameless
Hendo If he wanted to stay at £20k/week, we'd be absolutely mad not to offer it to him.

But it almost certainly would not be approved by the EFL as it would break our agreed business plan. We have a restriction on wages meaning we can’t give contracts that exceed an average wage we have committed to. The key issue is that as fans we don’t know what that average is !

Is that actually true? I'm not suggesting it isn't, as I don't actually know, it just seems a bit odd as our players are all going to have varying wages anyway, so I wouldn't have thought the average wage that we can offer would matter because it would skew with every deal anyway.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 11:14

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

Is that actually true? I'm not suggesting it isn't, as I don't actually know, it just seems a bit odd as our players are all going to have varying wages anyway, so I wouldn't have thought the average wage that we can offer would matter because it would skew with every deal anyway.

He doesn't have a clue, none of us do. Just more pointless waffle from him.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 May 2022 11:24

It's a bit like that song "Return of the Mac" but with Bowen instead of Mac.

Ok, it's nothing like that. But it's probably the first RnB song I actually liked.

Thanks.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 11 May 2022 11:42

Well I will be the lone voice , I am not in favour of a Mark Bowen return . I didn’t think he was at all impressive when he was here , in either of his roles , although we don’t really know what role the Dof really does , and the rumours were that he wasn’t popular with the players .

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 11 May 2022 12:11

No chance Swift will take a 70% pay cut. He'll a decent contract at a top third Championship club.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 May 2022 12:13

PATRIQT No chance Swift will take a 70% pay cut. He'll a decent contract at a top third Championship club.

So why are WBA linked with him, etc...

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 May 2022 13:48

Just to say Swift joined in 2016 so we have had six years from him.
We cannot afford to pay him the competitive wage he will want. Besides surely he wants to test himself at a higher level? This may well be his last big contract and I would hope that he would join a PL club. He is technically good enough for the top flight.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 11 May 2022 15:00

paultheroyal
blythspartan Honestly, I don’t want Swift to stay. He’s been a great player at times over the last 5 years but he’s often been injured and marked out of games. I like the idea of a clear out of the current squad which on paper should be have been much better but have been garbage most of the time.

I despair with some posts. You want our best player to leave? Am i reading it right? He's often injured? He played 38 games last season. Probably the one single factor that we stayed up in a god awful season. He played in every calendar month last season. Marked out of games? You seen his goal tally and assists from midfield? I take it, its a new season ticket you are getting?

But no - lets just bin off our one player, who pretty much every other championship club would want in their team!!! :roll:

As a long time supporter I am entitled to my opinion. Tbf I hadn’t realised over 6 seasons he’s averaged around 30ish appearances per season which isn’t too shoddy.

For me, we have had this very good team on paper for a while now but our results beg to differ. I think Swift is a quality player and can be decent in the Premiership. I also appreciate what he’s done for us but I’d rather spend his wages on 2/3 other players. I want to watch a team that can deliver on the football pitch so I am happy to see a complete overhaul of the team. It might go pear shaped but I am looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 May 2022 20:20

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

Am I the ONLY one who actually reads the agreement reached between us and the league and tries to understand it ?
Actually I know Stranded does to although we don’t always come to the same conclusion
Read it for yourself and see what you think. But do you really think that there are no controls over what deals we can offer ?
The average obviously doesn’t change with every deal because it’s a fixed, pre agreed figure recognising that we need to have some flexibility to offer differing deals to different players.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 May 2022 23:50

blythspartan Honestly, I don’t want Swift to stay. He’s been a great player at times over the last 5 years but he’s often been injured and marked out of games. .

If he's being marked out of games it normally means he's taking 2 or more opponents out of the game, a situation his teammates should be exploiting.

He did have a lot of injuries in his early days (I think on one occasion he ended up playing during the summer, which led to him either being returned to us broken or breaking down soon after) but then improved which, IIRC, he put down to changing his fitness regime.

His most recent injuries have probably had a lot to do with the lack of squad depth meaning we have played him too much/risked him when he should probably have been rested to avoid a minor tweak becoming a major issue, Despite his injuries this season, he still made a very significant contribution, which we will struggle to replace (I'm reconciled to us losing him), at least with just one player and probably two.

His contribution this season should be acknowledged for what it was - without it we would have been relegated long before Paul Ince turned up!