Freebies

706 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Freebies

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Jun 2022 10:24

morganb Not one you'd expect someone to make up -

https://mobile.twitter.com/BigBadWolfRF ... 9898031105

Convinced I just saw Grant Ward at the stadium. Could do with a player in his mould tbf

Grant Ward, midfielder, released by Blackpool

Was he not doing pretty well at Ipswich before suffering from a really bad injury and he's never really recovered? Squad player at absolutely best if that's the case.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Jun 2022 10:47

Convinced I just saw Grant Ward at the stadium. Could do with a player in his mould tbf

On the other hand what sort of nerd happens to recognise a random player . I wouldn’t recognise half our players if they weren’t wearing a shirt with their name on (be honest, who would look twice if Tetek or Dann walked past you in jeans and a hoodie….)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jun 2022 10:59

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal It's surely not hard to understand when boro fans are slating him and able to produce a video of substantial numbers of errors from one season.

But yet you'd rather have Southwood who is subjectively worse than Lumley.

Subjective being the operative word. Ie you think he's worse, but I don't.

I think the video of Lumley showed more errors than Southwood made last season. And Southwood is the devil we know, rather than the one we don't. Plus I'd always rather give a decent contracted, relatively young, academy graduate a chance than sign a ropey new player who is at an age where improvement is unlikely.

But that's besides the point. I don't expect everyone to agree. It's not hard to understand though.

Like, I understand why you and and stranded think Lumley will be good. I don't agree, but I understand.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jun 2022 11:09

YorkshireRoyal99

Was he not doing pretty well at Ipswich before suffering from a really bad injury and he's never really recovered? Squad player at absolutely best if that's the case.

He's had two bad injuries. One that effectively ended his time at Ipswich in 18/19. Worked his way back to fitness and signed for Blackpool end of '19. Was a very key player in their promotion season but his achillies went in an early season game v Bournemouth and hasn't been back since.

Has very decent experience at Champ level and if he is fit would be a very good signing in our current predicament. Both injuries were more bad luck than the sign of an underlying problem, so if he is fit then and this random spotting has some legs then it may not be a bad deal. Maybe 1 year with an option for a couple more if he stays fit - only 27.

Mainly though very surprised that anyone would be able to recognise him - probably couldn't pick him out on the pitch in a shirt with his name on.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jun 2022 11:17

Would be worth a trial certainly

Fitness would be the key

But yes not convinced anyone would recognise him wandering around near the stadium unless they were very Familiar with Blackpool or Ipswich. Never know though

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Jun 2022 12:11

Sounds positive in terms of ability then in that case, I didn't realise where he went after Ipswich and just assumed he was very much a L1 standard player as I thought that's where he may have stayed. Could be a decent option for us then.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 29 Jun 2022 13:19

See Jordan Holsgrove has been released by Celta Vigo. Thought he looked good as a youngster and is a CM so surely worth a look.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 29 Jun 2022 13:24

andrew1957 See Jordan Holsgrove has been released by Celta Vigo. Thought he looked good as a youngster and is a CM so surely worth a look.

He signed for Pacos De ferreira
https://www.fcpf.pt/2022/06/27/jordan-holsgrove-e-o-primeiro-reforco-para-2022-2023/

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 29 Jun 2022 15:22

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99

He's had two bad injuries. One that effectively ended his time at Ipswich in 18/19. Worked his way back to fitness and signed for Blackpool end of '19. Was a very key player in their promotion season but his achillies went in an early season game v Bournemouth and hasn't been back since.

Has very decent experience at Champ level and if he is fit would be a very good signing in our current predicament. Both injuries were more bad luck than the sign of an underlying problem, so if he is fit then and this random spotting has some legs then it may not be a bad deal. Maybe 1 year with an option for a couple more if he stays fit - only 27.

Mainly though very surprised that anyone would be able to recognise him - probably couldn't pick him out on the pitch in a shirt with his name on.

That means he will be given 5 years :)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jun 2022 17:49

Sounds positive if unlikely. Why on earth someone with two serious injuries behind them would set foot anywhere near us with our horrendous record is beyond me.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jun 2022 08:44

Snowflake Royal Sounds positive if unlikely. Why on earth someone with two serious injuries behind them would set foot anywhere near us with our horrendous record is beyond me.

If there is any truth in it - maybe we are the only club looking to take a risk and he knows he'll need a decent pre-season too to have any chance of being fit. He's also a London lad, so may fancy being closer to home - he can even live in London and commute down.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jun 2022 08:57

Our injury record was only so bad for last season really, I wouldn't look too much into it really, especially now management has changed hands as well.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Jun 2022 12:50

YorkshireRoyal99 Our injury record was only so bad for last season really, I wouldn't look too much into it really, especially now management has changed hands as well.

Last 2 seasons actually

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jun 2022 13:29

Royal_jimmy
YorkshireRoyal99 Our injury record was only so bad for last season really, I wouldn't look too much into it really, especially now management has changed hands as well.

Last 2 seasons actually

Season before last wasn't nearly as catastrophic, just a lack of squad depth made it more apparent in that season really.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jun 2022 15:00

It's been dreadful for a decade. Last season doubly so.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jun 2022 15:15

Snowflake Royal

It's been dreadful for a decade. Last season doubly so.

Depends what you class as "dreadful". Having a handful on injuries in a 23-25 man squad isn't anything from the norm, however having half of our limited squad like last season injured is what I'd class as dreadful.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 Jun 2022 19:48

I have read that Derby are set to sign Conor Hourihane if they ever come out of administration. Not a player I am a fan of but you’d have thought he could still do a job in the Championship.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jun 2022 22:48

blythspartan I have read that Derby are set to sign Conor Hourihane if they ever come out of administration. Not a player I am a fan of but you’d have thought he could still do a job in the Championship.

Yeah not sure how they could afford him or why on earth he’d chose to go there

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jul 2022 08:08

Hound
blythspartan I have read that Derby are set to sign Conor Hourihane if they ever come out of administration. Not a player I am a fan of but you’d have thought he could still do a job in the Championship.

Yeah not sure how they could afford him or why on earth he’d chose to go there

Only reason I can think of is he knows, if fit, he'll play every game there but at Champ level (at most clubs) he'd likely be in and out of the side.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jul 2022 08:09

Bowen has said we are keeping tabs on Long and Andre Gray - though I never quite get what keeping tabs means in this context. Occasional chats with agents?

Gray looks to be off to Greece anyway.

706 posts