Lucas Joao off?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Lucas Joao off?

by windermereROYAL » 01 Jun 2022 10:26

Of course it`s the summer and speculation is rife, but with our current predicament this report could by true, there are a few clubs interested.

https://twitter.com/FootballLeagueW/sta ... 9545554945

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Lucas Joao off?

by NathStPaul » 01 Jun 2022 10:28

Depends on the fee and who the replacement is. Getting a fee for him plus a player in exchange could be appealing (depending on the player of course).

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Jun 2022 10:33

So we want to sell Puscas, Joao and Moore. Meite’s fitness is a question mark. So who do we have left under contract? TMac, Dann and possibly Tetek.
All well and good but pre season is in three weeks time and the new season starts next month.....

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jun 2022 10:41

This would make sense.

Only way Joao stays beyond next year is if we somehow go up. We may also have been told that if we can raise funds, we can spend.

We have to accept that the squad we end up will look a lot weaker on paper but if they play more as a team, we may end up strangely being stronger.

Definitely feels like the plan is get rid of all big earners and start again.

One angle though, as Ince made it clear he want's Moore to be one of his CBs next year, so we are clearing the high earner decks to allow us to keep him and strengthen.

Going to be a crazy couple of weeks - glad to be going on holiday to tune it all out.

Joao out for 5m, Carroll coming back - might not be the worst deal in the world.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Jun 2022 10:46

Stranded. I would be surprised if we got close to £5 million for Joao.
I hope you’re wrong about Ince wanting to keep Moore.

Enjoy your holiday.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Jun 2022 10:47

Could see Forest taking a punt on him. Deserves a chance in the Prem.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jun 2022 10:59

Zip Stranded. I would be surprised if we got close to £5 million for Joao.
I hope you’re wrong about Ince wanting to keep Moore.

Enjoy your holiday.

28/29 with 38 goals and 14 assists in 83 games - 5m with 1 year left is probably what we should be looking to get. 4m would also be ok.

Depends who wants him - if Forest want him then you've got to try and squeeze a PL extra out of them. Realistically we could get anywhere between 3.5 and 7 for him depending on who and how many clubs want him.

And thanks - can't wait.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Jun 2022 11:12

Stranded This would make sense.

Only way Joao stays beyond next year is if we somehow go up. We may also have been told that if we can raise funds, we can spend.

We have to accept that the squad we end up will look a lot weaker on paper but if they play more as a team, we may end up strangely being stronger.

One angle though, as Ince made it clear he want's Moore to be one of his CBs next year, so we are clearing the high earner decks to allow us to keep him and strengthen.

Going to be a crazy couple of weeks - glad to be going on holiday to tune it all out.

Joao out for 5m, Carroll coming back - might not be the worst deal in the world.

I'm struggling to see how this would make sense. We have too often seen how badly we struggle without Joao in the team. We get rid of him and just what attacking threat are we left with? Sign a replacement? We've seen time after time how asking prices go up when the selling club know we have money in the bank from a previous sale. Add to that the EFL are likely to restrict how much we are able to spend.

Yes, we risk losing Joao on a free in a year's time but relegation to League 1 will cost us far more than we could ever hope to get through selling him now.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Jun 2022 12:19

Would be a really big loss for us, only him and Meite in our current squad are capable of getting goals and no guarantee that either a) Meite will stay or b) he will come back as good as he was having basically a season out.

Saving his wages and commanding a good fee looks good on paper, but the more we are shifting on our under contract players, the more pressure we put on ourselves. Our recruitment looks as if it really, really has to be bang on this summer for us to have a decent season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jun 2022 12:23

RoyalBlue

I'm struggling to see how this would make sense. We have too often seen how badly we struggle without Joao in the team. We get rid of him and just what attacking threat are we left with? Sign a replacement? We've seen time after time how asking prices go up when the selling club know we have money in the bank from a previous sale. Add to that the EFL are likely to restrict how much we are able to spend.

Yes, we risk losing Joao on a free in a year's time but relegation to League 1 will cost us far more than we could ever hope to get through selling him now.

To be fair we struggled a lot of the time with him in the team in the 2nd half but yes his goals were key in keeping our heads above water.

I guess the balance is, does keeping Joao guarantee survival or does getting his wages off the books (he's on ca. 15k) allow us to strengthen across the board making for a more balanced team that may succeed with a "lesser" striker on the books - and by succeed I mean stay up.

There is probably a little bit of hedging going on here too - i.e. get rid of highly paid players where we can get a fee and although we can't buy this year - build a side that can do enough - then come this time next year , we may have a transfer kitty of 10m just based on these sales - which could be enough to turn a side from one that just stays up to one that may be able to compete higher up the table.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 01 Jun 2022 12:37

RoyalBlue

Yep, unless we get offered a ridiculous amount of money I cant see why we'd sell. We've already lost 3 of our 4 highest scorers from last season, take Joao out and we will seriously struggle IMO

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 01 Jun 2022 12:58

We massively struggled with out him in the team. However that was due to the way we played and didn't change our style of play or formation.
If an decent offer comes in I would accept - yes he is very good player but we only seen that for only half a season at a time.
Hopefully as now we have some sort of structure in place, we have several plans / players in place for such a departure if it happens.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 01 Jun 2022 13:02

Zip So we want to sell Puscas, Joao and Moore. Meite’s fitness is a question mark. So who do we have left under contract? TMac, Dann and possibly Tetek.
All well and good but pre season is in three weeks time and the new season starts next month.....

You just have to embrace League 1 in 2023/24. I am.

On Strings

by On Strings » 01 Jun 2022 13:03

Another big wage who was always leaving this summer. Shame, as we wont replace his quality, but may open that door for Clarke to get a chance.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 01 Jun 2022 13:27

Joao is quality when he’s up for it but I have seen too many games where he has been poor and he gets injured a lot. I am personally keen for a major clear out but fully accept that it might backfire like it did for Ipswich several years ago.

For Joao it would be great to see him get a chance of playing in the Premiership but it won’t be easy to replace his goals. I am going to trust Bowen and co to make the right decisions.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Jun 2022 13:49

Real awful shame that we have to get rid of him. One of the best strikers we've had in a very long time, big strong, powerful, good with his feet, great finisher, has it all really. Only thing is his injuries I guess, and the tendency to rely on him only so when he's out we're screwed.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jun 2022 13:55

Bit of noise about Andre Gray

I would hate to lose Joao in many ways but can see the logic. If we were to say bring in Gray and Carroll and still come out 2-3m up after wages etc it would make sense

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Jun 2022 14:03

Hound Bit of noise about Andre Gray

I would hate to lose Joao in many ways but can see the logic. If we were to say bring in Gray and Carroll and still come out 2-3m up after wages etc it would make sense

Yeah that would seem like a sensible/reasonable sort of switch in forwards. I suppose you can say lose Joao & Puscas for a combined £5m, for arguments sake, in return for Gray and Carroll on free transfers. Looking around £30k p/w between both Joao and Puscas, potentially £20-25k p/w for both Gray and Carroll. Rough estimates of course.

I'd personally be relatively pleased if that was to be the case.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Jun 2022 14:03

Millsy Real awful shame that we have to get rid of him. One of the best strikers we've had in a very long time, big strong, powerful, good with his feet, great finisher, has it all really. Only thing is his injuries I guess, and the tendency to rely on him only so when he's out we're screwed.

Having said what I have just said though, I do also agree with this as well.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 01 Jun 2022 14:10

Why is there a massive clamour for Andy Carroll to return? He is 33 years old and injury prone and expensive. Are you all seriously suggesting there aren't younger players out there available on a free transfer that are in a similar mould?