Baba Rahman

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Baba Rahman

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Aug 2022 17:03

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded Reports from over here stating this is done and he is returning on loan for another season.

Would imagine any other deals now will be free agents.

Just looking ahead to after Thursday (and going into January), whilst moving Moore on would be of benefit to the club massively in terms of the wage bill and would allow us much more flexibility to bring players in, I'm just not sure who will be available the longer we leave it, particularly in January.

I'm not sure if we could potentially accelerate any deal to pay Moore off to allow us to bring some more players in that are free agents, obviously presuming the player himself wants that to be the case and we can actually do that, but if we could do that sooner rather than later then I think it would be important for us as it might give us the freedom to bring in 3/4 free agents (if good enough) to help bulk out our squad.

Paying off Moore frees up one place in the squad. Not sure how you stretch that to bringing in 3-4 free agents.....

How many spaces do we currently have in the squad? Do we have 21 players (currently) and we have space for 25, hence the 3-4 free agents potentially. Correct me if I'm wrong though there.

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 30 Aug 2022 17:04

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded Reports from over here stating this is done and he is returning on loan for another season.

Would imagine any other deals now will be free agents.

Just looking ahead to after Thursday (and going into January), whilst moving Moore on would be of benefit to the club massively in terms of the wage bill and would allow us much more flexibility to bring players in, I'm just not sure who will be available the longer we leave it, particularly in January.

I'm not sure if we could potentially accelerate any deal to pay Moore off to allow us to bring some more players in that are free agents, obviously presuming the player himself wants that to be the case and we can actually do that, but if we could do that sooner rather than later then I think it would be important for us as it might give us the freedom to bring in 3/4 free agents (if good enough) to help bulk out our squad.

Paying off Moore frees up one place in the squad. Not sure how you stretch that to bringing in 3-4 free agents.....

Maybe "pay him off" is a euphemism, like "show him the ropes" or "make him an offer he can't refuse"?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Aug 2022 17:08

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

How many spaces do we currently have in the squad? Do we have 21 players (currently) and we have space for 25, hence the 3-4 free agents potentially. Correct me if I'm wrong though there.

How does paying off Moore allow us to bring in 3-4 players though ?
Just don’t see how you make that jump.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Aug 2022 17:32

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

His salary is equivalent to 3 or 4, so if there's head room in the squad it's possible.

Puscas went and we immediately signed Sarr and are rumoured to have at least a couple of other irons in the fire. So 1 in 1 out doesn't really seem to be the whole picture.

If you have actual concrete information otherwise, just say so.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 Aug 2022 17:34

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

His salary is equivalent to 3 or 4, so if there's head room in the squad it's possible.

Puscas went and we immediately signed Sarr and are rumoured to have at least a couple of other irons in the fire. So 1 in 1 out doesn't really seem to be the whole picture.

I’ve checked for the hidden caveat … paying him off means paying up his contract, so saves us exactly zero salary for the year

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Aug 2022 17:37

I don’t think YR is talking about the whole contract, he's generally talked about negotiating a part pay out. He's at the optimistic end for sure.

Not that there's any reason to think Moore will do anything but sit here and take.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Aug 2022 17:38

Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

I’ve checked for the hidden caveat … paying him off means paying up his contract, so saves us exactly zero salary for the year

Correct.
Paying off his contract gives us no financial benefit.
Puscas leaving (presumably) meant we were no longer paying some or all of his wages, hence we could afford Sarr.
Not sure why that is such a difficult concept to grasp..

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Aug 2022 17:39

Probably because you didn’t make any effort to explain the point of view

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Aug 2022 17:39

Snowflake Royal I don’t think YR is talking about the whole contract, he's generally talked about negotiating a part pay out. He's at the optimistic end for sure.

Not that there's any reason to think Moore will do anything but sit here and take.

We can only work on what YR actually says. He talks about paying off Moore’s contract.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Aug 2022 17:41

Snowflake Royal Probably because you didn’t make any effort to explain the point of view

Sorry, when did we have to explain basic stuff to you ?
Not that you’d absorb it anyway.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Aug 2022 20:33

It depends if the EFL regard us paying off his contract (either all or just a percentage if we were lucky) as part of the £16.5m~ wage budget for the season, or whether it would be seen as a separate, one off payment, similar to that of a transfer fee for example. So it would count towards our profit/loss calculations for FFP, but not actually towards our total wage bill.

Can completely understand why it would count towards our total wage cap of course, but as Ian mentions, unless there is something in writing that says differently then it's something that could be explored to benefit us in bringing more players in.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Aug 2022 20:38

YorkshireRoyal99 It depends if the EFL regard us paying off his contract (either all or just a percentage if we were lucky) as part of the £16.5m~ wage budget for the season, or whether it would be seen as a separate, one off payment, similar to that of a transfer fee for example. So it would count towards our profit/loss calculations for FFP, but not actually towards our total wage bill.

Can completely understand why it would count towards our total wage cap of course, but as Ian mentions, unless there is something in writing that says differently then it's something that could be explored to benefit us in bringing more players in.

It’s paying his wages. It would count to our wage bill. If anything it is making our financial position worse as we’d be paying it in one sum before we have earned the income to pay it rather than in monthly instalments.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Aug 2022 20:42

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99 It depends if the EFL regard us paying off his contract (either all or just a percentage if we were lucky) as part of the £16.5m~ wage budget for the season, or whether it would be seen as a separate, one off payment, similar to that of a transfer fee for example. So it would count towards our profit/loss calculations for FFP, but not actually towards our total wage bill.

It’s paying his wages. It would count to our wage bill. If anything it is making our financial position worse as we’d be paying it in one sum before we have earned the income to pay it rather than in monthly instalments.

And that would make sense - however if, for whatever reason, it's not viewed as that by the EFL then it's definitely an avenue that should be explored. I know it has been mentioned by some in the rumour mill a few weeks ago, so there may be something in it, or there might not be.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Aug 2022 21:44

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

And that would make sense - however if, for whatever reason, it's not viewed as that by the EFL then it's definitely an avenue that should be explored. I know it has been mentioned by some in the rumour mill a few weeks ago, so there may be something in it, or there might not be.

There isn’t. It’s not even worth thinking about. Paying someone’s wages counts as paying their wages. What are you going to count it as ? The idea you could treat it like a transfer fee makes no sense, given we aren’t allowed to pay transfer fees !

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Aug 2022 23:52

Happy to have Baba back. I think this side will suit his game better

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Aug 2022 08:04

Happy with Baba. And clearly wants to play for us which is good

With Moore - maybe we just get him fit and into the squad. Dann is obvs good only for the knackers yard and he is an experience champ CB who may actually suit the new ‘style’

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2022 08:12

Hound Happy with Baba. And clearly wants to play for us which is good

With Moore - maybe we just get him fit and into the squad. Dann is obvs good only for the knackers yard and he is an experience champ CB who may actually suit the new ‘style’

Serious question, who would you genuinely drop out of the squad for six months for Moore?

Holmes? No chance.
Sarr? No chance.
Hutchinson? No.
McIntyre? No.
Abrefa? No thanks
Clarke? Maybe?
Dann? He'll barely ever be fit to make it in anyway

We'd need at least 1 injury for Moore to get on the bench. His career is done here.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 31 Aug 2022 10:38

Re the Moore pay off stuff. He’s on about and we can’t be 100% sure, but somewhere between 30 and 35k pw. I think we can all roughly agree on that.

20k pw is 1 mill a year. So to buy him out of his 30k pw contract would be somewhere in the region of 1.5 mill, give or take. Say we said to him look we will pay you half your salary - circa 750k and you can get 15k per week at a new club, you will be financially the same for the remainder of the season.

If I were Moore, and that were put to me I would think ok I’ll take that. Agent please go find me a club willing to pay me 15k pw. Which I think is probably doable.

We have saved 15k/17.5k per week In wages. Which would be enough for three 5 to 6k pw additional players.

Something like this must be agreeable you’d think.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 Aug 2022 11:16

Snowflake Royal
Hound Happy with Baba. And clearly wants to play for us which is good

Serious question, who would you genuinely drop out of the squad for six months for Moore?

Holmes? No chance.
Sarr? No chance.
Hutchinson? No.
McIntyre? No.
Abrefa? No thanks
Clarke? Maybe?
Dann? He'll barely ever be fit to make it in anyway

We'd need at least 1 injury for Moore to get on the bench. His career is done here.

Agree completely about his career here being done, but he's still a capable defender at this level so if we had to keep him for another season, he would be a good option to have on the bench at least. Wouldn't say he gets into our starting XI or anything but, out of our 6 first team CB's, it would be Holmes, Hutchinson, Sarr, McIntyre, Moore, Dann for me, which is competent enough for the season.

I think Clarke has done well, Abrefa as well, but they could use some proper game time with the U23's. Would rather them be playing minutes for our U23's and Moore just being in our matchday squad getting none/little minutes rather than Clarke/Abrefa sitting on our bench and not playing that much for the U23's.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Aug 2022 12:03

Obvs I’d much rather get rid but strongly suspect that’ll be very difficult

We’ll have injuries no doubts. TMc, Dann, Hutch - all injury prone

Better just to get Moore motivated and at least may provide some use rather than just rotting away in the background