Jeff Hendrick

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Jeff Hendrick

by Hound » 07 Jul 2022 16:01

Stranded As Danny Drinkwater has been mentioned on this thread. It appears he is with the squad at SGP this week.

Interesting

Wouldn’t be totally against it.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Jul 2022 16:03

Wouldn't be against him signing, be good for continuity and shown what he can do with minutes on the pitch and when he's fit. A proper pre-season and staying relatively injury free and he'd do ok for us.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2022 16:23

blythspartan
Stranded As Danny Drinkwater has been mentioned on this thread. It appears he is with the squad at SGP this week.

This wouldn’t surprise me if only to get fit. DD divides opinion on here and I can’t even make up my own mind about whether I’d want him back. At times last season he turned back the clock but then sometimes he was atrocious and gave the ball away far too cheaply.

No way would you take a player away on a training week just so they could get fit. Would have to be on the basis of a signing, if he wanted to get fit so he could play for someone else he could go run round his local park.
He’s clearly a very good player, perhaps if he was a contracted Reading rather than just sent out on loan we’d see a different player.
If he was playing for 10k a week I’d happily take the risk because the upside could be huge.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2022 16:24

I'd rather not gift the opposition two easy attacks a game thanks.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2022 16:31

Snowflake Royal I'd rather not gift the opposition two easy attacks a game thanks.

Nor would anyone
Seems a bit of an irrelevant thing to say though.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Jul 2022 16:34

Snowflake Royal I'd rather not gift the opposition two easy attacks a game thanks.

You would rather have them all shipped out on loan instead!!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jul 2022 16:35

Nameless
blythspartan

This wouldn’t surprise me if only to get fit. DD divides opinion on here and I can’t even make up my own mind about whether I’d want him back. At times last season he turned back the clock but then sometimes he was atrocious and gave the ball away far too cheaply.

No way would you take a player away on a training week just so they could get fit. Would have to be on the basis of a signing, if he wanted to get fit so he could play for someone else he could go run round his local park.
He’s clearly a very good player, perhaps if he was a contracted Reading rather than just sent out on loan we’d see a different player.
If he was playing for 10k a week I’d happily take the risk because the upside could be huge.

Agreed with the bit in bold. If the financials are right, then I'd be pretty happy.

Think out of all the players last year, DD was the one who improved the most once Ince came in, specifically after Rae gave him a bollocking at Bournemouth.

Put in some MOTM performances towards the end of the season in key games as well - Barnsley was one and I think there was another away game as well.

Plus, if it pisses of Ian, worth every oxf*rd penny :wink:

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Jul 2022 16:35

Nameless
blythspartan

I think it has been done by clubs before, but different circumstances e.g. a long serving player allowed to train with the club after his contract expires to keep fit for a move elsewhere, but it's very rare.

I don't know whether he's officially been classed as a "trialist", or even how long he's been at the club for but still, there seems to be a consensus at the club to keep him on if this leads to him signing on. £10k is a respectable wage for him and I'd be happy to take him at that and that helps shape our midfield position somewhat as well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2022 16:36

I'm game if you guys want to get what you deserve from wanting him back.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2022 16:39

Thing with DD is he is going to be very comfortably off. Not really sure 5k a week here or there makes a lot of difference to him, so negotiations might be easy enough

Slightly surprised he enjoyed it so much after some of the abuse he got

But I’d have him back I think. Probably a safer bet than someone who we don’t know how motivated they will be etc - like Hendrick

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jul 2022 16:43

Hound Thing with DD is he is going to be very comfortably off. Not really sure 5k a week here or there makes a lot of difference to him, so negotiations might be easy enough

But I’d have him back I think. Probably a safer bet than someone who we don’t know how motivated they will be etc - like Hendrick

Yep. He was dire absolutely dire for much of last season so I get where Ian is coming from but he did improve a lot under Ince and was pretty much the only ballwinner in the side. If his fitness is there then I would have him back. Certainly the best tackler in the side.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Jul 2022 16:44

Particularly given his farewell message on social media at the end of last season, it seemed apparent he wasn't coming back.

He still might not be in fairness, but it's more positive than negative for me if he does considering most of his performances under Ince. If we can get that for next season, he will be a really good addition to our midfield.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Jul 2022 16:55

Picking up a decent wage helps, but our training facilities etc - which are world class is a massive draw for some of these players.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jul 2022 17:04

Zip
Hound Thing with DD is he is going to be very comfortably off. Not really sure 5k a week here or there makes a lot of difference to him, so negotiations might be easy enough

Yep. He was dire absolutely dire for much of last season

Was he really though? First month he was good. Late October to November up and down. Injured December. Horrendous January before a fairly solid last few months (from Peterborough onwards). Do think people are somewhat overweighing his awful period in January to his overall performance

Still wouldn’t take him back mind - too many bad memories

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 07 Jul 2022 17:11

paultheroyal Picking up a decent wage helps, but our training facilities etc - which are world class is a massive draw for some of these players.

+1 - Paul, change of subject are there any new developments regarding Long?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2022 17:28

Guessing long would already be here if he was going to sign. May be wrong ofc

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jul 2022 17:32

Hound Guessing long would already be here if he was going to sign. May be wrong ofc

I don’t think he will be returning. Not overly concerned about it though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2022 17:49

Zip
Hound Guessing long would already be here if he was going to sign. May be wrong ofc

I don’t think he will be returning. Not overly concerned about it though.

No likewise

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Jul 2022 22:43

blythspartan
paultheroyal Picking up a decent wage helps, but our training facilities etc - which are world class is a massive draw for some of these players.

+1 - Paul, change of subject are there any new developments regarding Long?

I typed a message and then deleted it because situation changed.

Stop the press: all is not lost. They are talking. Reading are looking to pay more than they are currently limited too. Interestingly my source said “Reading are looking to pay more than permitted £8k. I thought this was quite telling and making it genuine because this source would know nothing about our wage limits particularly the £8k.

If no develops by Monday, i will know more Tuesday night.

Even I am surprised, all is not lost.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Jul 2022 06:48

If we are "looking to pay more than permitted" it is quite clearly a big fat no for me.

To be fair, I was never sold on the idea in the first place