January transfer window 2023

313 posts
morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: January transfer window 2023

by morganb » 13 Jan 2023 12:01

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... l-25965840

Paul Ince has laughed off speculation linking Reading FC with moves for new players this transfer window, with Reading remaining under a transfer embargo any new additions to the squad must be preceded by departures in the first instance.

Owing to the conditions of the embargo and having a full squad of 25, there is no room for fresh faces as things stand.

No one is going out at the moment so no one is coming in. If we can free up a couple of spots, then great, if not then we go with what we've got. I'm talking to these agents but I'm thinking why am I bothering because I can't do anything.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2023 12:43

YorkshireRoyal99 I think we just need to establish a consistent position for him. I think he's showed his best ability starting at CB in a 3, but we brought him in as a midfielder, he's had a few games at wing back where he's looked very uncomfortable but at CB he seems to be best there. Versatility is nice, but if we want to really improve him and potentially get a good resale value, he will need to be playing consistently in one position.

Now that, I can completely get behind. Too many players don't seem to have clear positions anymore and consequently are mediocre in several when they could be great at one.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 13 Jan 2023 13:37

https://mobile.twitter.com/ReadingFC/st ... 4393640965

We're delighted to say that #AmadouStays!

Amadou Mbengue has penned a new deal with the Royals

This morning, Mbengue completed the paperwork on a contract that keeps him in RG2 until the end of the season - with a view to then extending those terms beyond the conclusion of the current campaign.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2023/j ... to-royals/

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Jan 2023 13:57

morganb https://mobile.twitter.com/ReadingFC/status/1613891114393640965

This morning, Mbengue completed the paperwork on a contract that keeps him in RG2 until the end of the season - with a view to then extending those terms beyond the conclusion of the current campaign.

That's an interesting wording - suggests there is an option for a futher year or two built in (poss on a slightly higher wage). Whether that is something the club can trigger or needs agreement from both parties would be interesting to see.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Jan 2023 14:12

Pleased with that with Mbengue, happy to have him with us until the end of the campaign and hopefully that will be extended as well. The wording is interesting for sure but providing it's not something daft for him, which I think is unlikely, then it should be a formality.

Confirms that we need outgoings for incomings now. Maybe a loan deal out for Tetek and Ejaria, maybe the latter moving permanently, and then the ability to bring in a couple fresh faces might just do the squad some good.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jan 2023 14:44

Good news. Possibly a pay rise next season which terms of embargo don’t allow for now. Who knows. Anyway like him so pleased he has signed

Happy to get Tetek, Ehib and co out on loan and be done. Hope would bethe kick up the backside may have given ejaria what he needs rather than just let him go as he has still has plenty to offer and a bit of quality which we don’t have loads of

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Jan 2023 14:57

I'm not sure I agree on Ejaria, I'm not sure what he's got to offer us really anymore and I just don't think he will ever fit the ethos of the team. We all know that, on his day, he is capable, but we've had him now over several different managers and has played plenty of games for the club and we've never seen him really have even a good spell since he signed permanently (would only say his loan spell was a significant period of time where he saw some good performances).

He has also progressively been used less and less over the last few seasons. Made 36 apps in 19/20 and 38 apps in 20/21 but he made 26 apps last season and only 8 this time around. Ok, some of that comes down to injuries but I just generally don't think he has offered us enough in the last 3/4 seasons and he's offering us less and less over time.

Only 2 goals last season out of 26 apps and they both come against Fulham, nothing else in 25 games for us, so I wouldn't even like to say his creative quality, that we all hoped he would show, would benefit us because there doesn't seem to be that either. I think it's just best for both parties to just move on at this point. A talented player, but reminds me of a street footballer trying to play an 11-a-side game.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Jan 2023 15:31

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 I think we just need to establish a consistent position for him. I think he's showed his best ability starting at CB in a 3, but we brought him in as a midfielder, he's had a few games at wing back where he's looked very uncomfortable but at CB he seems to be best there. Versatility is nice, but if we want to really improve him and potentially get a good resale value, he will need to be playing consistently in one position.

Now that, I can completely get behind. Too many players don't seem to have clear positions anymore and consequently are mediocre in several when they could be great at one.

Always thought that was the case for Loader

Played at ST, CAM, even off the right hand side on occasions

Too much, particularly for a 17/18 year old breaking into the team and as such, was very ineffective in the majority of games here

It’s why I never thought Gomes would work here, tried to overcomplicate things - which really isn’t necessary in the Championship

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Jan 2023 15:36

Hound Good news. Possibly a pay rise next season which terms of embargo don’t allow for now. Who knows. Anyway like him so pleased he has signed

Happy to get Tetek, Ehib and co out on loan and be done. Hope would bethe kick up the backside may have given ejaria what he needs rather than just let him go as he has still has plenty to offer and a bit of quality which we don’t have loads of

I thought it was quite telling when Ince was listing the midfielders we’ve used and have this season, he went from Ince to Hendrick to Loum to Fornah to Hutchinson. No mention of Ejaria. He did say he was looking at a CM but it’s a one out - one in policy so reading between the lines I doubt Ejaria has a future here

Will never see eye to eye with you on Ejaria, haven’t really “got” him since he joined. As mentioned in the last post, never think he’s fitted a succinct role in the team, never been given the chance to settle in one position. Will always commend his attitude and ability to work hard but would gladly see him move on now

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Jan 2023 18:50

Stranded
morganb https://mobile.twitter.com/ReadingFC/status/1613891114393640965

That's an interesting wording - suggests there is an option for a futher year or two built in (poss on a slightly higher wage). Whether that is something the club can trigger or needs agreement from both parties would be interesting to see.

If it needs agreement from both parties it’s hardly worth bothering with is it ? An option surely is something one party has the right to invoke, otherwise it’s just what happens at the end of any contract….

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Jan 2023 20:15

It's basically an extention until the end of the season on the current terms and then a new contract on better terms when we free up some budget and restrictions are lifted.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jan 2023 09:19

May have agreed terms for next year already, just a matter of signing the contract in June or whenever

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 18 Jan 2023 11:59

We're interested in Jamal Lewis on loan from Newcastle according to twatter. Not sure why we need three left backs unless someone is off.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Jan 2023 12:05

Norfolk Royal We're interested in Jamal Lewis on loan from Newcastle according to twatter. Not sure why we need three left backs unless someone is off.

I always remember people saying that most rumours they just chuck random clubs in the rumour to make them seem credible, wasn't really sure that was true but since we've been under a strict transfer embargo and aren't currently in a position to sign players right now, it certainly makes me believe most of these rumours are made up nonsense.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Jan 2023 15:32

Seems to be that people are extensively linking us with players from Newcastle. There must be something in it, meaning we must have some sort of good relationships with the loan managers/recruitment department in Newcastle somewhere, but whether there is much truth to the rumours, who knows.

He was one of Norwich's best performers at one point at the top of the Championship/lower PL, stalled a bit since going to Newcastle. Still, if this ever came off, he'd surely be better than what we've currently got in that position, but would mean we'd need to send Rahman back surely.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 18 Jan 2023 15:48

YorkshireRoyal99 Seems to be that people are extensively linking us with players from Newcastle. There must be something in it, meaning we must have some sort of good relationships with the loan managers/recruitment department in Newcastle somewhere, but whether there is much truth to the rumours, who knows.

He was one of Norwich's best performers at one point at the top of the Championship/lower PL, stalled a bit since going to Newcastle. Still, if this ever came off, he'd surely be better than what we've currently got in that position, but would mean we'd need to send Rahman back surely.

Lewis was very skilful and good going forward, perfect for Norwich at time under Daniel Farke. Questions remain over him defensively though, he's quite small and probly got a bit bullied in prem.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 19 Jan 2023 07:58

YorkshireRoyal99 Seems to be that people are extensively linking us with players from Newcastle. There must be something in it, meaning we must have some sort of good relationships with the loan managers/recruitment department in Newcastle somewhere, but whether there is much truth to the rumours, who knows.

Bowen has a relationship with someone senior Newcastle, he mentioned it at the last fans forum when he was talking about the Hendrick transfer.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 19 Jan 2023 12:33

Norfolk Royal We're interested in Jamal Lewis on loan from Newcastle according to twatter. Not sure why we need three left backs unless someone is off.

That Huang Kad on twitter called it back in august tbf

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jan 2023 12:50

I’m sure Lewis would be a decent signing a fair chance he’d be interested in coming

If there was some way they could make it work (Baba signing elsewhere for example) then great

However suspect we want to keep Chelsea sweet as well and not try to cancel the loan etc - and may potentially see Lewis join for next season rather than this

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2023 12:13

Must there?

313 posts