Rumour - Jordan Hugill

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rumour - Jordan Hugill

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2023 12:22

Coppells Lost Coat Hard pass. We have target men. We have the probably the best header of the ball in the league in Carroll yet still dont use him effectively. Meite also can be a lump target man who does win his fair share of headers. Long also puts himself about enough.

A player that has gone to 7 clubs in 7 seasons. Says enough to me. Never scored more than 15 goals in any season in his entire career.
I am not sure why we are entertaining the idea of getting another player who was doing well 4/5 years ago but has done diddly squat since. We are in no desperation for another player who might try hard.

Just because he might be available does not mean we need to have in in our squad.

We could say that about a lot of our current squad though, especially those we have signed and most are doing just fine for us now.

It's not stellar, but it's decent enough and we are getting by with "decent enough" players at the minute. Considering we only have 1 contracted striker beyond the end of this season, it would make sense, although our midfield would ideally need addressing first if we really had to pick and choose.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2023 12:27

leon
YorkshireRoyal99
His record at this level is decent at most clubs he has been at. I'm not expecting him to fire us to promotion, but if he can get 13-15 goals over a 46 game season, for what he will cost in wages, that would be good business from us, we have to be realistic with where we are.

He's had a decent impact at both QPR and Cardiff where he has played on a fairly regular basis for both.

At championship level in the last 5 years he's scored 28 goals in 150 games. So in a 46 game season he might get 8........

YorkshireRoyal99
Better than throwing record fees and big wages on an inexperienced Championship forward that struggled to fulfil their potential and price tag and are now shipped out on loan to Italy.

This is what I love about HNA - I literally said the OPPOSITE to this.

Although following your logic he would be better than setting fire to all our team and then shitting on the corpses....which is a fair point

:lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jan 2023 13:17

Anyway, I'm pretty neutral on this but looking at his goals per min record over his career - he's averaging a goal every 232 mins, which isn't bad at all.

But his record has been getting worse over the years - last season where be played regularly was 19/20 and he managed 13 goals in 30(+9) Champ apps.
Last edited by Stranded on 12 Jan 2023 13:20, edited 2 times in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jan 2023 13:19

Coppells Lost Coat Hard pass. We have target men. We have the probably the best header of the ball in the league in Carroll yet still dont use him effectively. Meite also can be a lump target man who does win his fair share of headers. Long also puts himself about enough.

A player that has gone to 7 clubs in 7 seasons. Says enough to me. Never scored more than 15 goals in any season in his entire career.
I am not sure why we are entertaining the idea of getting another player who was doing well 4/5 years ago but has done diddly squat since. We are in no desperation for another player who might try hard.

Just because he might be available does not mean we need to have in in our squad.

He scored 15 in 41 back in 19/20 tbf, so not that long ago. And by most accounts had a pretty decent spell at cardiff last year

I do think if he signs then it’s very much because we don’t think more than 1 of Meite, Long or Joao will be here next season. And in that context I think it’s a solid target

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2023 14:18

It's all a bit thoroughly 'Meh' but beggars can't be choosers.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2023 14:21

Snowflake Royal It's all a bit thoroughly 'Meh' but beggars can't be choosers.

Very simple way of putting it, but yes I think most would agree. But that's where the club is I think at the moment, far, far better than what we suffered last season, along with many seasons previous. At the moment, I'd be quite happy to accept "meh", with the scope to improve.

In the players case, won't be winning the golden boot, but you'd probably anticipate double figures for the season providing gametime is adequate.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2023 16:37

YorkshireRoyal99

Very simple way of putting it, but yes I think most would agree. But that's where the club is I think at the moment, far, far better than what we suffered last season, along with many seasons previous. At the moment, I'd be quite happy to accept "meh", with the scope to improve.

In the players case, won't be winning the golden boot, but you'd probably anticipate double figures for the season providing gametime is adequate.

That's a little optimistic in my view.

Aging striker who was once highly rated but never lived up to expectations and has been on the slide for a while - if that's what we're setting up for next season, I'd pass because I think we can do better in the summer.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2023 16:55

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Aging striker who was once highly rated but never lived up to expectations and has been on the slide for a while - if that's what we're setting up for next season, I'd pass because I think we can do better in the summer.

Who do you think we could get that is better? Not saying he's the cream of the crop for us or anything but just genuinely curious as to who fans think we could go after realistically.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2023 17:13

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Who do you think we could get that is better? Not saying he's the cream of the crop for us or anything but just genuinely curious as to who fans think we could go after realistically.

I'm not a scout, so no idea. But not 30 never quite excelled and going backwards at our level.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 12 Jan 2023 18:37

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Possibly Sam Surridge on loan from Forest. Apparently, he had a shocker in the cup against Blackpool but he is only 24.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 12 Jan 2023 19:48

blythspartan
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal That's a little optimistic in my view.

Possibly Sam Surridge on loan from Forest. Apparently, he had a shocker in the cup against Blackpool but he is only 24.

Once our transfer embargo is over i would like to go back to the so called "Reading Way" we're just not very good when it comes to buying expensive players.
I understand the 106 team was a bit of a perfect storm of players but it worked, there weren't many super stars but it worked perfectly. Let's go back to scouting young players from lower leagues & Ireland etc....pick an identity of how we want to play moving forward and slowly build a team around that so called identity whatever that may be.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 12 Jan 2023 22:06

I think the Moneyball style market inefficiency of finding rough diamonds in crap leagues is probably gone or at least the rest of the world is playing the same game now.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Jan 2023 08:58

Crowbar6753
blythspartan
YorkshireRoyal99

Once our transfer embargo is over i would like to go back to the so called "Reading Way" we're just not very good when it comes to buying expensive players.
I understand the 106 team was a bit of a perfect storm of players but it worked, there weren't many super stars but it worked perfectly. Let's go back to scouting young players from lower leagues & Ireland etc....pick an identity of how we want to play moving forward and slowly build a team around that so called identity whatever that may be.

I think we have to be realistic about what next season has in store - we will have more flexability in who we can sign and the wages we can offer but we will only move slowly away from the current set up. Next year will be a combination of experienced heads picked up on the cheap - Hugill may fit into that and some punts on younger talent who will have a re-sale value.

I don't see us paying for anyone unless we generate a fee first i.e. if we are able to get some money in for Ejaria or we finally sell Puscas/Joao leaves in this window - then we may well look to reinvest that but otherwise it is going to be another season of, hopefully, clever loans and freebies.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Jan 2023 09:11

blythspartan
YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah this is who I thought would be a decent signing for us when I saw him play against Blackpool and just in other games where I've seen him. Another striker who is probably out of his depth in the PL but might be suited to a team like ourselves in the Championship.

Similar to Hugill though, his record isn't exactly fantastic at any club he's been at, although he has the benefit of being significantly younger, although his wage demands (thinking more long-term rather than just strictly a loan for the remainder of the season) will also likely be higher.

But as mentioned, I don't think we are going to be mental with our spending in the summer even out of restrictions. I can imagine we will be seeing a similar strategy to this season, but with obviously more leeway on what we can do.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jan 2023 09:13

Crap, expensive and making Forest’s match day squad so very unlikely

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 13 Jan 2023 10:23

blythspartan
YorkshireRoyal99

He is a bit of a lump, very similar to another player to come through the ranks at Bournemouth, Jayden Stockley who may or may not still be at Charlton.
Not sure that we would be greatly improved by getting him but if Joao were to move then a loan deal for him might be no worse than for Hugill.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 13 Jan 2023 19:22

See Jamal Lowe has gone to QPR on loan. He could do a decent job for us next season

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 14 Jan 2023 15:56

Is he an improvement on most our forwards? Yes.

Can we get a better striker on a tight budget? Probably not.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2023 16:19

I'd say No, Yes.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Jan 2023 16:06

I think I agree Ian