Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

1360 posts
blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

by blythspartan » 03 Jun 2023 08:20

Hound
Sutekh Being linked with Forest's Cafu and Lyle Taylor (combined aged 63).

Wouldn’t be against one or two of these kind of players but no more than that. And obvs only if they were in good shape and also cheap

We were after that pair in jan so a fair chance we still have some interest

As much as I want to see a young hungry squad we need to add some experience too. Someone like Taylor could bang in goals for fun at this level.

I see that Fosu has been released by Brentford and he could be an option. I do feel that if we can sell the dream of going for promotion we could attract some decent players to drop down to League One.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jun 2023 08:36

blythspartan
Hound

Wouldn’t be against one or two of these kind of players but no more than that. And obvs only if they were in good shape and also cheap

As much as I want to see a young hungry squad we need to add some experience too. Someone like Taylor could bang in goals for fun at this level.

I see that Fosu has been released by Brentford and he could be an option. I do feel that if we can sell the dream of going for promotion we could attract some decent players to drop down to League One.

Yeah agreed. McGoldrick scored a load for Derby for example

We do already have Carroll though. Fosu would be worth a look depending on wage

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Jun 2023 10:34

I'm sure when the manager is confirmed we'll be looking at players like him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jun 2023 11:51

blythspartan
Hound

Not convinced we need much new experience, depending on departures.

Bouzanis, Sarr, Yiadom, Hutchinson, Ince, Hoilett and Carroll gives a spine of experience through the team. Plus Holmes has almost a 100 Championship starts now.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Jun 2023 13:17

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
Hound

Not convinced we need much new experience, depending on departures.

Bouzanis, Sarr, Yiadom, Hutchinson, Ince, Hoilett and Carroll gives a spine of experience through the team. Plus Holmes has almost a 100 Championship starts now.

And Hutchinson once managed to play a game too!

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 04 Jun 2023 10:32

NathStPaul David Stockdale available on a free.

This isn't me suggesting we sign him. It is more of a warning that we could sign him.

Rest easy - signed for York City

https://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/ ... -york-city

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 04 Jun 2023 15:49

A player I have always liked who has been released by Sheffield Utd is Ben Osborn. I know he wouldn’t drop down to League One but I wasn’t sure if it was Wilder who signed him for Sheffield Utd.

I’m hoping that we can sell ourselves as a club on the way up and maybe attract some decent players.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Jun 2023 18:20

blythspartan A player I have always liked who has been released by Sheffield Utd is Ben Osborn. I know he wouldn’t drop down to League One but I wasn’t sure if it was Wilder who signed him for Sheffield Utd.

I’m hoping that we can sell ourselves as a club on the way up and maybe attract some decent players.

Surprised to see he's only 28, feels like he's been around forever. Sure he used to score against us every time we played Forest.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jun 2023 07:44

blythspartan A player I have always liked who has been released by Sheffield Utd is Ben Osborn. I know he wouldn’t drop down to League One but I wasn’t sure if it was Wilder who signed him for Sheffield Utd.

Wilder signed him when Sheff Utd got promoted to the PL - agreed unlikely he would drop to L1 level but also has only started 1 game this year, so the lure of being first choice under a manager who rates him may be fairly decent - assuming Wilder has/does sign on the dotted line.

Would be an incredible signing for L1, hence very unlikely.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Jun 2023 08:54

How well would Billy Sharp be received if he comes over to us?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Jun 2023 09:12

Torn on Billy Sharp. Would be a nice player to have for his experience and obviously a good goalscoring record (except when he was originally on loan at us lol) but not sure whether we could really rely on him for goals next season.

If we were to end up with him, a good amount of experience between him and Carroll but I'd definitely be looking for someone else to come in and lead the line for us, preferably someone up and coming or in their prime.

I don't think it's a bad idea to get a couple of experienced players in the team this summer, just don't want to be overloaded with players the wrong side of 30 if we can help it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jun 2023 09:34

God no. No more ancient crocks ffs. I don't care how good they were 3 millenia ago.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jun 2023 09:41

Sharp is possible if/when Wilder is confirmed but given our own real striking option is already 34 not sure adding a 37 yo is a necessary signing. We need to bring a striker or 2 in but would rather we take a risk on a much younger player or actually use some of the transfer funds we may actually have this year to try and buy a first choice striker.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jun 2023 09:53

Stranded Sharp is possible if/when Wilder is confirmed but given our own real striking option is already 34 not sure adding a 37 yo is a necessary signing. We need to bring a striker or 2 in but would rather we take a risk on a much younger player or actually use some of the transfer funds we may actually have this year to try and buy a first choice striker.

I like Sharp, I liked him when he was at the club 10 years ago and thought it was a pity he wasn't signed permanently.
Even though he's now 37, the last two seasons he's had in the Championship (92 games possible) saw him make 77 appearances so doesn't strike me too much as someone with a career winding down, let alone injury prone. Still would prefer someone younger with real pace though who could complement Andy Carroll and scare the **** out of defenders.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jun 2023 10:15

Sutekh
Stranded Sharp is possible if/when Wilder is confirmed but given our own real striking option is already 34 not sure adding a 37 yo is a necessary signing. We need to bring a striker or 2 in but would rather we take a risk on a much younger player or actually use some of the transfer funds we may actually have this year to try and buy a first choice striker.

I like Sharp, I liked him when he was at the club 10 years ago and thought it was a pity he wasn't signed permanently.
Even though he's now 37, the last two seasons he's had in the Championship (92 games possible) saw him make 77 appearances so doesn't strike me too much as someone with a career winding down, let alone injury prone. Still would prefer someone younger with real pace though who could complement Andy Carroll and scare the **** out of defenders.

True he has been fully involved at Sheffield Utd - this last season though he was limited to 14 starts and hasn't scored or assisted since December - so suggests (fairly or otherwise) that his powers are definitely waning.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 05 Jun 2023 10:29

a 37 year old who scored 3 in 45 last season?! :lol:

banter club status will be confirmed if that happens

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jun 2023 12:13

People also need to factor in the Reading FC medical team. He'd be fit for nothing but glue within 6 weeks.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Jun 2023 12:14

Winston Biscuit a 37 year old who scored 3 in 45 last season?! :lol:

banter club status will be confirmed if that happens

yeah absolutely no way

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2023 13:10

Snowflake Royal People also need to factor in the Reading FC medical team. He'd be fit for nothing but glue within 6 weeks.

Knackered old player filling up the physios room whilst pulling in a tidy wage? What’s not to like?

Seriously one of those who could either score 20 and be ideal for a short term boost or play 10 times and not score. Wouldn’t be totally against it if Wilder wanted him but would rather not. Assuming Carroll stays would rather find someone who has recently scored goals at L1 or a young up and coming player

He is a horrible chap as well so that doesn’t help

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Jun 2023 13:35

For the record, i would not want us to sign Billy Sharp.

1360 posts