Rumour - Josh Laurent

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Rumour - Josh Laurent

by Sutekh » 26 Jan 2023 07:04

Rumour emerging that Reading are in negotiations with Stoke to strike a deal to bring Josh Laurent back to the club.

Obviously this would have to be a loan, at least to begin with, and maybe suggests the departure of Ejaria is quite likely this month.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... ty-8074233

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Josh Laurent

by Hound » 26 Jan 2023 07:59

Swap maybe?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Jan 2023 08:39

Just how is this even possible. His wages are probably 3 times higher than our alleged £8k bar. If loan deal then we have to start shuffling the pack unless some are sent back. How could he possibly fall out of favour so soon yet put in a stella performance on Saturday. Be shocked and perplexed if this happens.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2023 08:43

Actually it was slightly flippant regarding Ejaria but I guess that’s the only way this one could work

On a very small sample of comments it looks like Laurent has done ok there but if he’s unhappy they may let him go if they got something in return

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jan 2023 08:48

Hound Actually it was slightly flippant regarding Ejaria but I guess that’s the only way this one could work

On a very small sample of comments it looks like Laurent has done ok there but if he’s unhappy they may let him go if they got something in return

P.Ince did reference recently how he's had conversations with a couple of players who would want to come back, Laurent could have been one of those players at the time, that might change now as he's seeing more game time though.

If it's a swap deal for Ejaria, that would be a really sensible bit of business from our end, I can't see it though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2023 08:57

Dunno, expect opposition managers tend to think more highly of Ejaria than most of our fanbase. And if Laurent isn’t happy there….depends how vocal he has been about it

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Jan 2023 09:57

paultheroyal Just how is this even possible. His wages are probably 3 times higher than our alleged £8k bar. If loan deal then we have to start shuffling the pack unless some are sent back. How could he possibly fall out of favour so soon yet put in a stella performance on Saturday. Be shocked and perplexed if this happens.

Not sure we're actually limited to 8k/week anymore, I think we just have an overall wage budget of ~£16.5m that we have to abide by.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 26 Jan 2023 10:15

The way I heard it was that Joao would go to Stoke.
With Joao hardly getting any game time would he actually be missed?

Many of us would like to see Joao stay but clearly he is not a favourite (currently) with the manager.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jan 2023 10:21

South Coast Royal The way I heard it was that Joao would go to Stoke.

Many of us would like to see Joao stay but clearly he is not a favourite (currently) with the manager.

I doubt it but P.Ince already thinks we could use another forward option, so losing one (quality) forward in exchange for a midfielder might not be something P.Ince is too interested in entertaining.

It might mean more opportunities for Azeez though as a forward and possibly a younger player though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2023 10:22

Wouldn’t be against that actually

Like Joao but he can’t be too happy and isn’t getting proper game time

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2023 12:22

Ince confirms we’re looking at midfielders this window. Does seem to be some legs in this one

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2023 12:41

tidus_mi2
paultheroyal Just how is this even possible. His wages are probably 3 times higher than our alleged £8k bar. If loan deal then we have to start shuffling the pack unless some are sent back. How could he possibly fall out of favour so soon yet put in a stella performance on Saturday. Be shocked and perplexed if this happens.

Not sure we're actually limited to 8k/week anymore, I think we just have an overall wage budget of ~£16.5m that we have to abide by.

Also think it's doubtful Laurent has moved to earn £24k a week plus. £14k - £18k maybe I guess

Seems unlikely but I'd welcome him back with open arms. Would add some more pace and drive to midfield. And give us more cover.

Laurent is better than any of our current option imo.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2023 12:45

Hound Wouldn’t be against that actually

Like Joao but he can’t be too happy and isn’t getting proper game time

Seems safe to say Joao isn't staying beyond this season. Our set up doesn't suit him and he doesn't suit our set up. He's probably on more than Laurent, even after his pay bump at Stoke.

I don't see a downside, leaves us a little shorter up top, but not really any qualitative loss on recent form. Azeez has a lot of potential, as does Ehib, potentially makes some room for them. Hell, could use Ince as a strike partner.

And perhaps we're also looking at a striker.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jan 2023 13:52

We wouldn't be able to get another player in if Joao moved out and Laurent moved in, we'd have to move someone else on first (Ejaria).

I don't think P.Ince would want to leave us any lighter up front considering that Carroll has a history of injury issues, Long has had a couple of knocks this season and Azeez is prone to one as well.

I don't think it's the worst piece of business ever if that was to be the case though, Laurent in midfield would probably be more effective than Joao up top for us. Wouldn't say he'd be our best midfielder but he'd still be able to add something different nonetheless.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 26 Jan 2023 14:27

Hound Ince confirms we’re looking at midfielders this window. Does seem to be some legs in this one

Shirley he's way too old

traff

by traff » 26 Jan 2023 15:06

YorkshireRoyal99

I doubt it but P.Ince already thinks we could use another forward option, so losing one (quality) forward in exchange for a midfielder might not be something P.Ince is too interested in entertaining.

It might mean more opportunities for Azeez though as a forward and possibly a younger player though.

The trouble is he appears to be made of balsa wood.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jan 2023 15:40

traff
YorkshireRoyal99

The trouble is he appears to be made of balsa wood.

I don't think Azeez will be the CF we are after anyway, I think he's going to be best as a wide player and that's where we should look to develop him. I could be wrong though, hopefully he does become a successful player in whatever position he ends up playing.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2023 18:18

YorkshireRoyal99 We wouldn't be able to get another player in if Joao moved out and Laurent moved in, we'd have to move someone else on first (Ejaria).

I don't think P.Ince would want to leave us any lighter up front considering that Carroll has a history of injury issues, Long has had a couple of knocks this season and Azeez is prone to one as well.

I don't think it's the worst piece of business ever if that was to be the case though, Laurent in midfield would probably be more effective than Joao up top for us. Wouldn't say he'd be our best midfielder but he'd still be able to add something different nonetheless.

Well obviously.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 26 Jan 2023 22:48

YorkshireRoyal99 We wouldn't be able to get another player in if Joao moved out and Laurent moved in, we'd have to move someone else on first (Ejaria).

I'm all for this move as i would be confident it would make us a better team especially having Laurent back and hopefully bossing the midfield, something we've missed all season.
On the flip side, it really scares me sending arguably our most prolific and natural goal scorer when on form to a fellow divisional rival currently sitting below us in the league. If Joao hits form at Stoke then they're comfortably safe!!!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jan 2023 08:56

Crowbar6753

I'm all for this move as i would be confident it would make us a better team especially having Laurent back and hopefully bossing the midfield, something we've missed all season.
On the flip side, it really scares me sending arguably our most prolific and natural goal scorer when on form to a fellow divisional rival currently sitting below us in the league. If Joao hits form at Stoke then they're comfortably safe!!!

I don't think I'd be massively worried about Stoke. If they finish above us, fair enough, but I can't see them going down this season anyway. They aren't a great side, but I don't think they'll go down, there are worse sides than them.