New manager rumours and speculation

768 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: New manager rumours and speculation

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 May 2023 13:38

ReadingGlasses Every manager has to start somewhere, and even the best will have had little or no managerial experience at some point. Sometimes it's worth taking a punt, and you could end up with next McGhee / Pardew / McDermott.

However, it's a big risk. You could also end up with someone out of their depth.

Managing Reading now isn't a simple task: the club needs a massive rebuild, both on and off the pitch. It would be a lot to ask from an inexperienced manager to step in to a situation like that. Although it hasn't been something the club had done a long time, now may be a good point to look to someone more experienced to come in take on that job.

To an extent it's mitigated a bit by having Bowen there in the background, but even he really hasn't got a huge amount of experience as directly as a manager. Much as it might be nice from a fan connection point of view to have someone like Murty, Hunt, Kerr etc in the job, it's probably just too much of a risk right now.

I think it depends what the expectation levels are. If the club are not anticipating to be in a play off/promotion challenge next season, then there would be less risk involved with a more experienced manager. If the club are expecting to be in and around those positions, then it would probably be more of a risk.

It all comes down to who impresses in interviews and whether the decision makers at the club believes that the next manager will be the one to deliver the goals that we set for the duration of their contract at least.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 May 2023 13:39

elrey
Hendo
elrey
Why? He's done well. He's gone to quite a few clubs that were having problems and got them out of those problems. The last team were doing REALLY BADLY, and he almost saved them, they must have been so far adrift when he took over.

Suggests he can get them playing better.

If he had no connection to Reading and someone was suggesting a manager who had only managed in Vietnam and Africa, there would be outrage, the likes of which have never been seen before.

The fact he used to play for us, should not mean that his managerial history is ignored.

I've met DK a few times and he's a right laugh, loves the club and will hopefully have a successful career as a manager, but right now, wouldn't want him as manager. Hell, I don't even want Parkinson as manager and he has an incomparably better record than Kerr.

Imagine we hired a manager with no connection, had just been playing football for some random team in Sweden, no managerial experience whatsoever, well that was Mark McGhee....

Ok great, just because it worked once 30 years ago, it should work now. I was only 2 when McGhee was hired, so wasn't around much football chat, can anyone convey the mood around the club when he was hired? Was his appointment met with derision?

Also the football club was in a much, much better position than it is now. He came in with a pretty decent team and got them playing to their potential. We have about 10 contracted players, that a lot of people would be quite happy to see the back of.

elrey

by elrey » 26 May 2023 13:40

Stranded
Hendo
elrey
Why? He's done well. He's gone to quite a few clubs that were having problems and got them out of those problems. The last team were doing REALLY BADLY, and he almost saved them, they must have been so far adrift when he took over.

If he had no connection to Reading and someone was suggesting a manager who had only managed in Vietnam and Africa, there would be outrage, the likes of which have never been seen before.

The fact he used to play for us, should not mean that his managerial history is ignored.

I've met DK a few times and he's a right laugh, loves the club and will hopefully have a successful career as a manager, but right now, wouldn't want him as manager. Hell, I don't even want Parkinson as manager and he has an incomparably better record than Kerr.

Very much this - if the above record was held by say erstwhile former Plymouth striker Kevin Nugent and someone suggested him based on his record in Vietnam, Kenya and South Africa then the pelters he would get...

Kerr clearly has something about him as a coach and/or manager but is he the sort of risk we should be taking now - absolutely not. I have nothing against former players coming back and being involved in the club/first team but it has to be the right fit.

I don't think any former player is the right fit for now the closest is probably Murty but even then that is a long way of being right.

I don't know. If someone has shown they can produce well at that level, the might be worth a try. Who else do we go for? There are different sorts. The sort that probably don't want to come to Reading, the sort we don't want to come to Reading and those who might be a bit of a risk and might work out.

Obviously you don't say "oh, you had some success in some small leagues, come work for us" you INTERVIEW THEM too. See where they're at in terms of philosophy and all of that.

Sure going into League One is where a risk is probably going to have the least impact. We took a risk with Ince, I mean, Shince, as he should have been known as his record is SHIT. Paunovic's record wasn't great either, did well for the Serbian U-3s team, and then had one good season in Chicago... how the ef did he get the job?

elrey

by elrey » 26 May 2023 13:47

Hendo
elrey
Hendo

Imagine we hired a manager with no connection, had just been playing football for some random team in Sweden, no managerial experience whatsoever, well that was Mark McGhee....

Ok great, just because it worked once 30 years ago, it should work now. I was only 2 when McGhee was hired, so wasn't around much football chat, can anyone convey the mood around the club when he was hired? Was his appointment met with derision?

Also the football club was in a much, much better position than it is now. He came in with a pretty decent team and got them playing to their potential. We have about 10 contracted players, that a lot of people would be quite happy to see the back of.

Well, the first games I saw at Elm Park were with Porterfield as manager, and it was a load of rubbish. Madejski was new to the club, and he hired a complete unknown. After McGhee he put in Quinn and Gooding, no managerial experience, then went with someone who did, Bullivant, and it didn't work out, then Pardew, with no experience, it worked out, then Burns with experience, it didn't work out, Coppell was the first manager with experience he appointed where it worked out.

He seemed to have a knack for getting those managers. And a knack for finding duffers with experience.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 May 2023 13:59

elrey
Stranded
Hendo

Very much this - if the above record was held by say erstwhile former Plymouth striker Kevin Nugent and someone suggested him based on his record in Vietnam, Kenya and South Africa then the pelters he would get...

Kerr clearly has something about him as a coach and/or manager but is he the sort of risk we should be taking now - absolutely not. I have nothing against former players coming back and being involved in the club/first team but it has to be the right fit.

I don't think any former player is the right fit for now the closest is probably Murty but even then that is a long way of being right.

I don't know. If someone has shown they can produce well at that level, the might be worth a try. Who else do we go for? There are different sorts. The sort that probably don't want to come to Reading, the sort we don't want to come to Reading and those who might be a bit of a risk and might work out.

Obviously you don't say "oh, you had some success in some small leagues, come work for us" you INTERVIEW THEM too. See where they're at in terms of philosophy and all of that.

Sure going into League One is where a risk is probably going to have the least impact. We took a risk with Ince, I mean, Shince, as he should have been known as his record is SHIT. Paunovic's record wasn't great either, did well for the Serbian U-3s team, and then had one good season in Chicago... how the ef did he get the job?

You see, I just feel you are saying that because we are talking about Kerr. The club will have had applications from all over the world and they need to filter down who they interview - they would likely look at a track record of doing well in Kenya and at best put on the maybe pile.

Also take a look at Gor Mahia in Kenya - he won 2 titles there in 2017 and 2018 - they had been champions in 2013, 2014 and 2015 and 19 times in total. So whilst not disparaging winning any league, he did so at the most successful club in Kenyan football.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 May 2023 14:43

elrey
Hendo
elrey

Well, the first games I saw at Elm Park were with Porterfield as manager, and it was a load of rubbish. Madejski was new to the club, and he hired a complete unknown.

yeah the unknown Scottish League, European Cup Winners cup, Supercup winner and Scottish PFA player of the year .

Who was recommended to the chairman by his ex boss the unknown Alex Ferguson.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 May 2023 14:48

elrey
Hendo
elrey

So every nobody with no record will succeed because McGhee did. Someone call Jose Gomes and get him back!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 May 2023 16:00

leon
elrey
Hendo

Well, the first games I saw at Elm Park were with Porterfield as manager, and it was a load of rubbish. Madejski was new to the club, and he hired a complete unknown.

yeah the unknown Scottish League, European Cup Winners cup, Supercup winner and Scottish PFA player of the year .

McGhee may have been a lot of things but a complete leap in the dark isn't one of them.

I actually watched a documentary on that Aberdeen side the other day. Brilliant stuff.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 May 2023 16:13

Be disappointing if Wilder goes to Hearts. Not exactly a project there even. They won't win the SPL.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 26 May 2023 16:53

Royal_jimmy Be disappointing if Wilder goes to Hearts. Not exactly a project there even. They won't win the SPL.

It’s all speculation at the moment and seems to be regurgitating news from a week ago. He’s still 1/6 with the bookies to be our next manager.

I can see why he’d consider Hearts but I don’t rate the SPL tbh. Apart from Rangers and Celtic the quality is shit.

Anyway, this is Reading and nothing ever seems straightforward. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t have a new manager in time for preseason friendlies.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 May 2023 18:54

Well it's going to be Tuesday at the earliest now before we hear something concrete.

Would be good to have this put to bed by end of next week.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 May 2023 20:57

Seems to be on Twitter now that wilder is actually a thing and announced early next week

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 26 May 2023 23:45

Yet not one credible journalist (John Percy, Mike McGrath etc) has ran the story once all summer yet everyone in meltdown on social media :roll:

elrey

by elrey » 27 May 2023 00:33

Stranded
elrey
Stranded

You see, I just feel you are saying that because we are talking about Kerr. The club will have had applications from all over the world and they need to filter down who they interview - they would likely look at a track record of doing well in Kenya and at best put on the maybe pile.

Also take a look at Gor Mahia in Kenya - he won 2 titles there in 2017 and 2018 - they had been champions in 2013, 2014 and 2015 and 19 times in total. So whilst not disparaging winning any league, he did so at the most successful club in Kenyan football.

Not at all. I have no sentimental feelings about Kerr or anyone else.

I saw an article about him, before this I knew nothing about his post Reading career. It says he's doing quite well, I asked whether this was a coincidence. Whether someone was writing this story for a reason.

Sure, have a look at other managers who have done well outside of Europe too. There must be some gems out there.

elrey

by elrey » 27 May 2023 00:34

leon
elrey
Hendo

He had NO MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE.... sigh. He was an UNKNOWN ENTITY as a MANAGER.

elrey

by elrey » 27 May 2023 00:35

Snowflake Royal
elrey
Hendo

So every nobody with no record will succeed because McGhee did. Someone call Jose Gomes and get him back!

Seriously? That's what you got out of my post? Wow.

elrey

by elrey » 27 May 2023 00:38

From Despair To Where?
leon
elrey

McGhee may have been a lot of things but a complete leap in the dark isn't one of them.

I actually watched a documentary on that Aberdeen side the other day. Brilliant stuff.

He could have failed as much as he succeeded. Look at Paul Clement. A great "reputation", not as manager, but within the backroom staff. The next best thing in up and coming managers. Hasn't managed since failing in Belgium two years ago.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 May 2023 12:17

elrey
leon
elrey

He had NO MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE.... sigh. He was an UNKNOWN ENTITY as a MANAGER.

So a very well known and decorated Scottish footballer who came with a recommendation from possibly the greatest British manager ever but he had no previous management experience.

Got it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 May 2023 13:19

This is definitely comparable to Dylan Kerr.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 May 2023 20:56

elrey
leon
elrey

This is it, if you have someone like a Ferguson or Klopp or Guardiola recommending an unknown then you take notice. When it's johnny agent then you should take it with a pinch of salt.

768 posts