Hob Nob Regular

Re: The dedicated Chris Wilder thread

by morganb » 02 Jun 2023 17:54

Even being discussed on TalkSport now

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 02 Jun 2023 17:56

6pm confirmation or has everyone gone home already?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 02 Jun 2023 18:03

Elm Park Kid 6pm confirmation or has everyone gone home already?

They're not going to announce something like this at 6pm, are they? I think we're waiting until Monday at the earliest now for the club to announce anything.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 02 Jun 2023 18:06

Clyde1998
Elm Park Kid 6pm confirmation or has everyone gone home already?

They're not going to announce something like this at 6pm, are they? I think we're waiting until Monday at the earliest now for the club to announce anything.

Yep, the done deal doesn’t sound so done.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 02 Jun 2023 18:16

This better not go wrong now.

Visions of 1997, we interviewed the likes of Bernd Schuster, the German world cup winner, and ended up with Terry the taxi

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 02 Jun 2023 18:34

Fully expecting to see him announced as Swansea manager tomorrow morning

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 02 Jun 2023 18:54

Maybe they’re waiting on Dai to come over from China. Not sure why they trolled the fans with that tweet yesterday unless it was just an innocent tweet.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Jun 2023 19:17

They probably gave him until this w/e to make a decision, if he agrees to take over then it'll be announced at some point Monday. If he hasn't agreed to take over then Nathan Jones, Chris Davies or Ryan Mason should be announced at some point next week instead.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 Jun 2023 19:23

Decent weather this weekend and FA Cup final to watch. No one wants to think of work at the weekend. Probs given him the weekend to lolz with mates and come back Monday morning with his thoughts

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 02 Jun 2023 21:11

If he's come to our training ground then it's blatant he's seriously considering the job.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 02 Jun 2023 22:26

Hopefully just sorting out the details and announce it early next week

I still think it all feels very unlike us IF this happens, identify (hopefully) a very good candidate at a very important time having just gone down to league one, and get him on board and in good time for next season.

I know Twitter is full of tosh but someone on there was making a good point today about how having seen SW, Plymouth and Ipswich go up all pretty strong for L1 and along with us, Wigan (with points deduction) and Blackpool going into L1 it might not be such a strong league next year and with the championship getting ever stronger next season really needs to be a good shot at us getting back up

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 02 Jun 2023 23:36

SouthDownsRoyal Hopefully just sorting out the details and announce it early next week

I still think it all feels very unlike us IF this happens, identify (hopefully) a very good candidate at a very important time having just gone down to league one, and get him on board and in good time for next season.

I know Twitter is full of tosh but someone on there was making a good point today about how having seen SW, Plymouth and Ipswich go up all pretty strong for L1 and along with us, Wigan (with points deduction) and Blackpool going into L1 it might not be such a strong league next year and with the championship getting ever stronger next season really needs to be a good shot at us getting back up

This, it's why it would be a tragedy if we don't make the top 6 next season.

East Ding Divvy

by East Ding Divvy » 02 Jun 2023 23:56

Royal_jimmy
SouthDownsRoyal Hopefully just sorting out the details and announce it early next week

This, it's why it would be a tragedy if we don't make the top 6 next season.

Correct. All of these softies going "take mid-table and rebuild". Get a couple midfielders in and there's no reason we can't compete with Wilder. If we come top half with him and within 2 3 points of Play Offs I'll accept it. If we come any lower I'll be oxf*rd disappointed.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 03 Jun 2023 00:58

Blue ticks on Twitter confirming contract agreed. All be done and official in the clubs own time.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 03 Jun 2023 07:01

blythspartan It’s sounding like Hearts will be appointing Naismith so that’s one less job for him.

I have a preference about who we appoint but I’ll give any manager my backing until it becomes apparent that they’re not fit for purpose. I just want it all all done so that they can get a team together in time for preseason friendlies and the start of the season.

So about a week, then

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 03 Jun 2023 08:08

It’s only 3 weeks to pre season training so they better hurry up!

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 03 Jun 2023 09:49

The thing with Wilder though is that he will be the first manager in long, long time who we know for a fact is 'good' enough to manager at our level. Hugely experienced, proven winner, highly respected by previous fans. But also maybe someone who does need a bit of time to turn a club around. One benefit of being in League One is that he'll get more opportunities to experiment than if we had another season battling relegation in the Championship with a shoe-string budget squad.

I'm very much 'give managers more time even if things aren't going well', but I have to accept that all our recent managers were just not good enough (jury is still out on Bowen). But if we struggle for a while under Wilder and look 'clueless', I do hope that fans do show more confidence in him than they had in PInce/Gomes/Pauno etc.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Jun 2023 10:16

Yeah exactly. I'm in the give him 2-3 years unless we're near the bottom again which is unlikely as the teams in the bottom half of league one are really poor. It's a bit frustrating the league looks weak in a way because a lot of our fans will expect top 6 but call for Wilder's head if we don't.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jun 2023 10:40

Jackson Corner It’s only 3 weeks to pre season training so they better hurry up!

Why? That's 3 weeks before any serious contact time with players. Contracts don't run out for weeks yet in terms of transfers, and we have Bowen, Carey and co to manage transfers anyway.

Could take another couple of weeks and cause no real problems.

538 posts