RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

944 posts
readingfc13

Re: What's going on with Harper?

by readingfc13 » 30 Jan 2009 16:45

I personally would wager money that no one is leaving this transfer window. It's all just rumour and speculation!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 30 Jan 2009 16:49

Dirk Gently
SteveRoyal Sky Sports says so. Fairly reliable.

And I'm the Queen of Sheba.

We were wondering where you'd got to..................

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Jan 2009 17:08

Dirk Gently
SteveRoyal Sky Sports says so. Fairly reliable.

And I'm the Queen of Sheba.

Until Sky News report it I won't be believing that.....

georgerob

by georgerob » 30 Jan 2009 17:13

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 30 Jan 2009 17:41

Yet Southgate has just been on SSN claiming it is very unlikely anyone else will arrive at Boro before Monday's deadline.

Harper is either there for a medical or he aint? One of them is fibbing, and Sky Sports run both stories. :lol: At least one of the stories will prove accurate.

I don't think it would be the end of the world if we lose Harper, but you just don't sell your captain at this stage of a promotion campaign! Or bloody well shouldn't.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

by Geekins » 30 Jan 2009 18:10

The only source i believe it the BBC Sport. Because they only print the facts except in the paper rumours section... which is self explanatary really. They are also quite quick to update their news, so if they say Harps is having a medical, then i expect that is true.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 30 Jan 2009 18:18

its the same sky sports that claimed that Everton had bid for Hunt in the last transfer window, which was just a big lie

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 30 Jan 2009 19:56

gazzer, loyal royal its the same sky sports that claimed that Everton had bid for Hunt in the last transfer window, which was just a big lie

Was it? Or was the bid just lower than the release clause, and so as not to create hype and a distraction to the player, the club just did what it still does, remains silent on transfers.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jan 2009 20:36

Deathy
gazzer, loyal royal its the same sky sports that claimed that Everton had bid for Hunt in the last transfer window, which was just a big lie

Was it? Or was the bid just lower than the release clause, and so as not to create hype and a distraction to the player, the club just did what it still does, remains silent on transfers.

Reading stated they had no bid from Everton
Everton stated they made no bid for Hunt.

The only people who reported a bid were Sky who were fed the story by Hunt's agent.

dobcheck

by dobcheck » 30 Jan 2009 21:07

If it does not come from the club then its not worth bothering about and dont get me started on Sky 'our source tells us' Sports News the tv equivalent of a tabloid paper gossip section.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jan 2009 21:39

Stranded
Deathy

Reading stated they had no bid from Everton
Everton stated they made no bid for Hunt.

The only people who reported a bid were Sky who were fed the story by Hunt's agent.

I'd give up, he's convinced we always lie about transfer bids.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 30 Jan 2009 21:58

Am I?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 30 Jan 2009 23:33

The boredom of late 20 somethings exchanging words on HNA on a Friday night in. Ho hum.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 31 Jan 2009 00:17

Dirk Gently And I'm the Queen of Sheba.

In that case you need a new avatar! :wink:

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 31 Jan 2009 01:09

... and Shorey leaving in a car at Upton Park :roll: Good for football, just not speculation.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 31 Jan 2009 09:33

Bugs re-reads Harpers contract and finds an oversight!

However, talks have stalled over the size of the initial payment after the existence of a sell-on clause in Harper’s contract persuaded the Royals to demand an increased first installment from Middlesbrough.

Boro are understood to be willing to pay around £2m up front, but Reading have demanded almost all of the total transfer fee because of their obligations to Harper’s former club, Arsenal.

The 28-year-midfielder was a trainee with the Gunners, and Arsenal are due to receive 40 per cent of any subsequent fee paid for his services.

Reading had hoped to stagger their payments to Arsenal to reflect the truncated nature of the deal they were hoping to strike with Middlesbrough, but the London club have refused the offer.

Therefore, the Royals would be forced to hand over almost all of Boro’s down payment, something they are extremely reluctant to do.

Talks aimed at securing a compromise have failed, and with the transfer window due to close at 5pm on Monday, Southgate, who denies any interest in Aston Villa full-back Nicky Shorey, is resigned to making no further additions to his squad.

“It’s unlikely that anything will happen between now and Monday,” said the Middlesbrough manager, ahead of this afternoon’s relegation battle with Blackburn. “We’re three days away from the window now, and I wouldn’t really see any additions coming in from this point onwards.

“You look at different players and try to strengthen if you can, but there are so many hurdles to cross before you sign a player. You have to get things right with the selling club, then you have to deal with players, agents and everything else that goes around that.

“You have to remain quite relaxed about it because you can only do what you can do.

You work as hard as you can to get deals done, but my view was always that if we could add something that would be great, but keeping what we have was always going to be the priority.”

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Jan 2009 10:02

As if the club would suddenly forget the existence of the sell on clause.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 31 Jan 2009 10:11

Does Harper have 'a cold' this close to transfer window end? :?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Feb 2009 17:46

3 predictions for me. I'm getting good at this.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 03 Feb 2009 08:42

I don't understand how these clauses in contract perpetuate.

If it was in Harpers original contract, surely it would only have been valid for the duration of that contract. Once he signed a new one then the clause would go. The only exception would be if he kept extending the original contract on better terms, in which case someone screwed up.

944 posts