RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

944 posts
bishbosh92

Re: Harper off to Boro, says Echo

by bishbosh92 » 30 Jan 2009 12:11

Well i it coming from Sky Sports News i aint beliving it!!

the amount of crap they make up is unbelivable so it probly just them making stuff up !!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 30 Jan 2009 12:15

If Harps goes he will leave with my blessing but it will happen only if the club are happy to release him ....................regardless of what that northern rag may think, we don't need to sell.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 30 Jan 2009 12:19

Woodcote Royal If Harps goes he will leave with my blessing but it will happen only if the club are happy to release him ....................regardless of what that northern rag may think, we don't need to sell.

+1

I think I agree with almost everything you say these days Woodcote.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jan 2009 12:24

Yet more speculative paper talk hedged in such a way that the paper can claim to have had the inside track if by freak chance it happens, but can also claim a problem cropped up to stop it if it doesn't.

Rather than the truth that they've seen some rumours and are basically making it up. There is NOTHING new here apart from some completely spurious rumours about Harper having a medical there.

I think it would be stupid to sell Harps for less than £4m straight upfront at least, but should it happen, whilst it will be a big blow, we have the bodies, if not necessarily quite the quality (without changing our style) to cope with him leaving.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Jan 2009 12:28

There must be a teleport machine between Hogwood and Boro because Harps was spotted at training this morning.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

by Sun Tzu » 30 Jan 2009 12:37

loyalroyal4life

what most clubs allow 50% of the fee to be paid based on a team staying up? we are on about boro here not man utd, there is a big chance they will sink

Of course not, most deals are not 'cash up front' though.

I can't imagine many deals with Man Utd have relegation clauses for obvious reasons....they may well have bonuses payable if they win the league / Champions League etc in the same way that we paid out extras to some clubs when we won promotion....

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 30 Jan 2009 12:39

Ian Royal Yet more speculative paper talk hedged in such a way that the paper can claim to have had the inside track if by freak chance it happens, but can also claim a problem cropped up to stop it if it doesn't.

Rather than the truth that they've seen some rumours and are basically making it up. There is NOTHING new here apart from some completely spurious rumours about Harper having a medical there.

I think it would be stupid to sell Harps for less than £4m straight upfront at least, but should it happen, whilst it will be a big blow, we have the bodies, if not necessarily quite the quality (without changing our style) to cope with him leaving.

I really think the transfer window is bullsh*t.

I hope it gets binned in the next couple of years.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 30 Jan 2009 12:49

Arsenal have a 25% sell on clause in the contract, so if Harper goes for £5m we only get 3.75m

i can't see it happening, we didn't want to sell in the summer, why would we want to sell now when we are close to the premiership?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 30 Jan 2009 12:51

Dirk Gently There must be a teleport machine between Hogwood and Boro because Harps was spotted at training this morning.

Train until midday, 2pm flight from Heathrow, medical at 4, press conference at 5.

Although why we'd expect someone to train who was about to leave us I'm not sure !!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jan 2009 12:57

Sun Tzu
Dirk Gently There must be a teleport machine between Hogwood and Boro because Harps was spotted at training this morning.

Train until midday, 2pm flight from Heathrow, medical at 4, press conference at 5.

Although why we'd expect someone to train who was about to leave us I'm not sure !!

I would doubt either club would want him training at Reading today - Boro could get the medical and stuff out of the way and have their new signing possibly available tomorrow.

From our point of view, we'd be focussing on set peices etc for tomorrow, so wouldn't want to have a player involved who won't be involved (if that makes sense)

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 30 Jan 2009 13:00

Sensible points Stranded, you know that won't do

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 30 Jan 2009 13:00

I wonder who spotted him though !!

I'm happy to trust Dirk, but I've also got no reason to doubt the person who told me Harps was going up there. it is of course quite possible Harps decided not to go for personal reasons and I doubt either club would issue a statement to that effect...

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jan 2009 13:05

Given the two posters who said he was there and how I know at least one will know, he was there.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 30 Jan 2009 13:07

No smoke without fire and I feel the fact that both local staions here and their local press are reporting the exactsame story with the fees the same and everything means there is something happening. Maybe there is an agreement of the fee but he wants Harper for saturday. Even if he was to go up there today and sort it I'd heavily doubt he'd play for them tomorrow. So maybe Coppell has sorted eveything but has said let me have him Saturday and then he'll come up to you on the sunday? Maybe.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 30 Jan 2009 13:27

gazzer, loyal royal Arsenal have a 25% sell on clause in the contract, so if Harper goes for £5m we only get 3.75m

That illustrates the problem with these 'facts' - another posted claimed it was 40% !

We don't really know, although Arsenal do tend to make sure they get a share of anything their products are sold on for.

boy1985

by boy1985 » 30 Jan 2009 13:32

Alan Partridge No smoke without fire and I feel the fact that both local staions here and their local press are reporting the exactsame story with the fees the same and everything means there is something happening. Maybe there is an agreement of the fee but he wants Harper for saturday. Even if he was to go up there today and sort it I'd heavily doubt he'd play for them tomorrow. So maybe Coppell has sorted eveything but has said let me have him Saturday and then he'll come up to you on the sunday? Maybe.

If Coppell does think we need him Saturday, then why would he want to sell him? If it is likely he'll be leaving he shouldn't be involved at all, after all we'd have to cope without him for the rest of the season anyway. Unless of course we have a replacement lined up for him, which i doubt as we already have plenty of cover for that positon. It wouldn't suprise me to hear the club rubbishing these reports later today anyway.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Jan 2009 13:35

It's gone quiet on the "Saints are fire-sale-ing front"

but is there a ready-made Harps replacement just down the road in Hants?

boy1985

by boy1985 » 30 Jan 2009 13:36

Snowball It's gone quiet on the "Saints are fire-sale-ing front"

No

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Jan 2009 13:38

If Coppell does think we need him Saturday, then why would he want to sell him? If it is likely he'll be leaving he shouldn't be involved at all, after all we'd have to cope without him for the rest of the season anyway. Unless of course we have a replacement lined up for him, which i doubt as we already have plenty of cover for that positon. It wouldn't suprise me to hear the club rubbishing these reports later today anyway.

Maybe because with other men out at a difficult away game, SCC doesn't want another one out?

Then he has a week to settle the new midfield for the Preston game?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Jan 2009 13:39

boy1985
Snowball It's gone quiet on the "Saints are fire-sale-ing front"

No

Do you mean "because Harps is irreplaceable" or Saints ain't selling, or "The players Saints might sell wouldn't fit"?

944 posts