SPECULATION - Simon Cox

387 posts
bottom left hand corner

SPECULATION - Simon Cox

by bottom left hand corner » 04 Oct 2008 19:28

Just wondering if we have a deal with him if we want to sign him back then we have first approval. As he is doing very well at Swindon after getting a hat-trick today surely we must want him back if Doyle goes in January or end of season.

chandog

Re: Simon Cox

by chandog » 04 Oct 2008 19:29

bottom left hand corner Just wondering if we have a deal with him if we want to sign him back then we have first approval. As he is doing very well at Swindon after getting a hat-trick today surely we must want him back if Doyle goes in January or end of season.

the main question there is does cox wnat to come back?
he was pretty much forced out of the club as he got no first team chances and was constantly out on loan
the club gave no indication that he was wanted so why would he want to come back now when he is getting opportunities at swindon?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 04 Oct 2008 19:30

bottom left hand corner Just wondering if we have a deal with him if we want to sign him back then we have first approval. As he is doing very well at Swindon after getting a hat-trick today surely we must want him back if Doyle goes in January or end of season.

I think a much better question is - do we have sell-on clause when Man Utd buy him for £20million?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 04 Oct 2008 19:34

Playing at his level, and doing well, lets leave him there, not fair to try to take him back IMHO

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 04 Oct 2008 19:52

I believe he could hack it in the Championship. Won't come back to Reading though.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Oct 2008 23:28

hes not an idiot
he knew it was touch and go if hed get into the reading team in the prem-and i dont think he was good enough
and he took a chance at 1st team football at a lower level, its done him teh world of goodthere is no reason he should be bitter about his time at reading
i reckon hed come back, if coppell wanted him

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: SPECULATION - Simon Cox

by Royal Lady » 05 Oct 2008 11:09

He's certainly worth far more than the £200,000 we sold him for now.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 05 Oct 2008 12:38

Saw his hat-trick on The Championship this morning and looked very good.

How many goals has he scored so far this season?

bottom left hand corner

by bottom left hand corner » 05 Oct 2008 13:40

rg6royal Saw his hat-trick on The Championship this morning and looked very good.

How many goals has he scored so far this season?

Totally agree, he looked confident, he ran at the defenders as well which always says a player is confident. He is on 7 goals at the moment.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 05 Oct 2008 17:27

I saw his tear apart QPR in the carling cup this season. QPR won in the end, but the only difference between the sides was fitness.

Am i right in thinking Cox is a "local lad"? I thought he was a Reading fan. Sure he was surpless to requirments at the time, but *if* Doyle goes, he would'nt be.

It definatly was the right thing to go - it was unfair to keep the talented lad here warming the bench. But he would be ahead of Lita if he were here now! (you know what i mean...)

Would'nt be a bad shout if we dont go up...

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 05 Oct 2008 18:38

Should never of sold him in the first place?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Oct 2008 21:57

LoyalRoyalFan Should never of sold him in the first place?

We didn't have much choice. He was asked to stay and opted to go for first team experience. Clearly the correct choice given how well he is developing. Coppell doesn't stand in a player's way under those circumstances.

Don't think he'd come back in January. He'd want first team football and even with Doyle gone I'm not sure he'd be getting it week in week out. He needs it to really kick on.

I'd rather us replace Doyle, should he go, with a bit more experience.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 05 Oct 2008 22:03

Was he asked to stay?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 Oct 2008 09:05

Royal Lady Was he asked to stay?

Coppell said we didn't want him to leave and that it was his own choice to accept the Swindon offer.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Oct 2008 10:34

Royal Lady He's certainly worth far more than the £200,000 we sold him for now.

we let him go at that price because he wasnt getting games, and coppell is nothing if not fair to those he leaves out of the team in terms of letting them go if they want to.
he just wasnt premiere league quality, and even championship quality is pushing it slightly, still

id be nothing but ecstatic if the lad managed to prove me wrong though

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 06 Oct 2008 12:01

He wasn't given any opportunites, the one he did get he was stuck out of position and still played a better half than Oster and Fae managed all season.

Scored for fun for Northampton and now is making a mockery of the £200,000. When he leaves Swindon it will almost certainly be for nearly if not seven figures.

All well and good saying well Cox wanted to go but when he wasn't being given a single chance despite our other forwards doing nothing to warrant selection I'd have got pretty pissed off too. Hope he keeps banging them in for Swindon.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 06 Oct 2008 12:58

Agreed - but being allowed to go was based on the premise that we were staying up at the time.

I think that if we and he had realised that we'd be relegated in the end then he'd have not been encouraged to move on. Then he'd quite posibly now be getting the chances that Karacan, Pearce and Kelly are.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Oct 2008 13:02

agreed, considering he was considered ahead of these guys before he left

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 06 Oct 2008 13:07

Royal Lady Was he asked to stay?

A week or so before he left Kevin Dillon was on BBCRB and said that RFC definitely wanted him to stay and saw loads of potential in him - but that Simon wanted first team football and we could not guarantee him that.

I have no doubt that we have at least a sell on clause of 50% or so and possibly a buy back clause as well. In that case letting him go is not an issue. Some sell on clauses also give us say 50% of all sell ons up to age 24.

From the players point of view moving gave him first team football. If he does well and is sold RFC gets loads of dosh and if we need him we can buy him back fairly cheaply. I have no doubt we are still monitoring his progress but if we get promoted again there is little chance of him coming back until he has proved himself at Championship level at least.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 06 Oct 2008 13:32

If I were him, I wouldn't come back to Reading. I hope he continues to go from strength to strength. His performance in one half against Spurs in the cup was better than some players' performances during the whole season that year.

387 posts