54%
no
46%

Total votes: 82
loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Coppell to sign contract next

by loyalroyal4life » 10 Feb 2009 15:25

W&E Royal If we go up then he'll stay, why would he go? If we stay down then he'll go, why would he stay?

so that he isnt in charge of another team that gets relegated

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 10 Feb 2009 15:27

Ian Royal
Royalee Hopefully he'll go in the summer regardless and we can bring in someone like Martinez who is young, hungry and ambitious.

How did I know you were going to say something stupid like that, as soon as I saw your name as the last response?

Does it gall you that in his 6 seasons Coppell will have taken us to our 4 highest league finishes ever?

WHy whats wrong with MARTINEZ?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 11 Feb 2009 10:21

Royalee Coppell's had more resources than any other Reading manager in the club's history by a country mile, people forget that. Madejski is the reason we are where we are today, not Coppell. If Man City win the title and Champions League in the next five years after spending the most they've ever done in their history by a street, it won't make Mark Hughes the best manager in the club's history - what a stupid thing to say.

Coppell has had more resources than any other Reading manager by a country mile because of the success he has generated. No other manager has benefitted from the booty that Premier League football brings.

Pre Premier League, Coppell spent less than Pardew and Burns. Coppell brought us Premier League football on an absolute shoestring budget (far less than the spend of Pards, Burns, Bullivant). By being successful and taking us in to the top division he has generated the bounty which he has spent.

But if you look at it from a net perspective. Coppell is probably in negative territory as in he has generated more in player sales than he has spent on players.

Coppell has been the most resourceful manager the club has ever had. We have punched far higher above our weight under Coppell than any time before.
The next most resourceful manager was probably McGhee and then Branfoot (although Branfoots style of play left alot to be desired).

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Sir Steve to Sign New Contract?

by SteveRoyal » 12 Feb 2009 08:18

From the Daily Mail today...

Reading will offer manager Steve Coppell a new contract, even if he fails to win promotion back into the Premier League at the first attempt.

Coppell was on the verge of resigning when Reading were relegated, but fans signed a petition urging him to stay.

His contract expires in the summer and director of football Nick Hammond said: ‘As yet we haven’t had any discussions about a new contract for Steve, but we will.

'It’s not him or us dodging the issue.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... tract.html

I certainly hope we keep him on - he is definitely one of the best.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sir Steve to Sign New Contract?

by The 17 Bus » 12 Feb 2009 08:27

as suggested last week here
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84826

PS was there actually a petition??

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 12 Feb 2009 09:17

Long Live Sir Steve Coppell of Reading!!

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 12 Feb 2009 09:18

Daily Mail via BBC Rumours are saying we will offer contract to him

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 12 Feb 2009 09:19

Geekins Daily Mail via BBC Rumours are saying we will offer contract to him

Really, good old Daily Mail and BBC always the first with the news.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 12 Feb 2009 09:55

Presumably they picked it up of last nights EP

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 12 Feb 2009 10:20

If we dont go up this season i hope we get someone else in......Coppell is a very good manager BUT if we dont go up then its because he's doing exactly what he did to us last season, by not changing things around and staying too loyal to some of the players.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Feb 2009 10:36

TBM If we dont go up this season i hope we get someone else in......Coppell is a very good manager BUT if we dont go up then its because he's doing exactly what he did to us last season, by not changing things around and staying too loyal to some of the players.

dunno how you can possibly say that after the number of times he has changed things round, and put new, or younger players in the team this season

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 12 Feb 2009 10:41

It's all done to Sir Steve if he wants to carry on. I have a feeling he might step aside if we don't get promoted this season, the club is in a decent enough position on and off the field if he does.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 12 Feb 2009 11:01

brendywendy
TBM If we dont go up this season i hope we get someone else in......Coppell is a very good manager BUT if we dont go up then its because he's doing exactly what he did to us last season, by not changing things around and staying too loyal to some of the players.

dunno how you can possibly say that after the number of times he has changed things round, and put new, or younger players in the team this season

Im talking about getting rid of the deadwood and bringing in fresh players and dropping players when they are not performing (ie Harper & Hunt)

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 12 Feb 2009 11:06

Coppell is Reading - like Curbishley was Charlton. Look what happened to them we he was forced out by the Charlton equivalent of a number of Royalee's

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Feb 2009 11:26

TBM
brendywendy

Im talking about getting rid of the deadwood and bringing in fresh players and dropping players when they are not performing (ie Harper & Hunt)

didnt he drop harper for a few games already? when jem and brynn came in a did really well, until brynns legs couldnt cope?
since hunt is our leading assister, and even when he has a below par game hes still everywhere on the pitch working hard, i can see why,
this, coupled with the fact that till tabb arrived hunt had no competition, means that you are wrong

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 12 Feb 2009 11:32

Im talking about IF we dont go up.......there is no excuse not to keep 2nd place, if we fail then its due to Coppell making the wrong decisions. That's all i meant by my comment.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 12 Feb 2009 11:41

And how is Coppell meant to get rid of the deadwood and bring in fresh players while the transfer window is shut?

Remember that prior to that record breaking Championship winning season, we had been in this position (i.e. 2nd place) at this stage of the season before finishing outside of the play-offs. During the off-season, Coppell wielded the changes and look at what happened.

If Coppell doesn't do it this season, he might be able to figure out what was wrong and do something about it in the summer. Maybe then we can go up the following season!!!

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 12 Feb 2009 11:45

Thaumagurist* And how is Coppell meant to get rid of the deadwood and bring in fresh players while the transfer window is shut?!

Shut up Spacey......he's had 2 transfer windows to do it and hasn't done!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Feb 2009 11:46

TBM Im talking about IF we dont go up.......there is no excuse not to keep 2nd place, if we fail then its due to Coppell making the wrong decisions. That's all i meant by my comment.

how do you know? its not happened!

and all i meant is that, it seems at least to me, that coppell has been much less inclined to stick withm players, than he did last year
so it seems odd to moan about is currently

and what deadwood?

enough with this harper and hunt bashing, they are neither dead, nor wood

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 12 Feb 2009 11:50

brendywendy
TBM Im talking about IF we dont go up.......there is no excuse not to keep 2nd place, if we fail then its due to Coppell making the wrong decisions. That's all i meant by my comment.

how do you know? its not happened!

and all i meant is that, it seems at least to me, that coppell has been much less inclined to stick withm players, than he did last year
so it seems odd to moan about is currently

and what deadwood?

enough with this harper and hunt bashing, they are neither dead, nor wood

It's not too often I agree with you, but... agreed.