46%

Total votes: 82
TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: Sir Steve to Sign New Contract?

by TBM » 12 Feb 2009 11:53

brendywendy
TBM Im talking about IF we dont go up.......there is no excuse not to keep 2nd place, if we fail then its due to Coppell making the wrong decisions. That's all i meant by my comment.

how do you know? its not happened!

and all i meant is that, it seems at least to me, that coppell has been much less inclined to stick withm players, than he did last year
so it seems odd to moan about is currently

and what deadwood?

enough with this harper and hunt bashing, they are neither dead, nor wood

We sign Tabb in the transfer window and that's supposed to strengthen our team in a bid to push for promotion......what about another central defender, a right winger and a striker - thats what i feel we personally need. Having players that can "cover" those positions isn't enough IF we dont gain promotion.

Never said Harps or Hunt were deadwood but the likes of Leroy, Long, Gunnarsson, Dubbery just aren't good enough (my opinion not fact).

And players not wanting to be here.......its obvious from Hunts display/attitude that its affected his game - yes he's top assister but he could have been a hell of alot better if he was more focused.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 12 Feb 2009 12:01

Royal With Cheese Coppell is Reading - like Curbishley was Charlton. Look what happened to them we he was forced out by the Charlton equivalent of a number of Royalee's

LOL. Charlton had nowhere near the infrastructure and facilities in place of RFC and they replaced Curbishley with three managers in one season which was a complete joke. Perfect comparison knobcheese.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Feb 2009 12:05

Royalee showing his social skills are as highly developed as his analytical ones.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Coppell to sign contract next

by Ian Royal » 12 Feb 2009 12:25

it's sheer idiocy to think we wouldn't offer him a contract. Coppell has the job as long as he wants it unless something spectacular happens.

Doesn't mean we'll be offering him a contract any time soon though. Just that if he wants to stay he'll get one before his current one runs out.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 12 Feb 2009 12:31

Ian Royal it's sheer idiocy to think we wouldn't offer him a contract. Coppell has the job as long as he wants it unless something spectacular happens.

We'll only offer one if he's going to accept it.

If he decides he wants to go we won't try and keep him by throwing a big new deal his way.

It will be done sensibley and in private.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Feb 2009 13:23

Whatever happens during the rest of this season, I reckon we will be saying goodbye to Sir Steve.

If we fail in our quest for promotion I reckon he will say that he has done all that he can do for us and that it is best for the club and supporters if someone else takes over at the helm.

If, as we all hope (well almost all!), we get promoted, I think that he will decide to leave on a high. And it will be a very big high.

I want to remember him as the fantastic manager who twice led us to the promised land. I wouldn't want that memory tarnished, should we subsequently get relegated, and I suspect he might feel the same way.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Feb 2009 13:36

TBM
brendywendy
TBM Im talking about IF we dont go up.......there is no excuse not to keep 2nd place, if we fail then its due to Coppell making the wrong decisions. That's all i meant by my comment.

how do you know? its not happened!

and all i meant is that, it seems at least to me, that coppell has been much less inclined to stick withm players, than he did last year
so it seems odd to moan about is currently

and what deadwood?

enough with this harper and hunt bashing, they are neither dead, nor wood

We sign Tabb in the transfer window and that's supposed to strengthen our team in a bid to push for promotion......what about another central defender, a right winger and a striker - thats what i feel we personally need. Having players that can "cover" those positions isn't enough IF we dont gain promotion.

Never said Harps or Hunt were deadwood but the likes of Leroy, Long, Gunnarsson, Dubbery just aren't good enough (my opinion not fact).

And players not wanting to be here.......its obvious from Hunts display/attitude that its affected his game - yes he's top assister but he could have been a hell of alot better if he was more focused.

tabb will be in the team when hes ready, once hes up to speed with our ethos here, and once hes proved he deserves a chance in training, like it should be

disagree totally about duberry/-is that the same player thats played in how many clean sheets recently?
also disagree about lita at this level

i still think you are ignoring the much increased player switching this season-in defence-midfied-on the right wing, and up front
and also ignore the fact that armstrong and nhunt got pretty much straight in the team bar a week or so.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 12 Feb 2009 15:40

brendywendy i still think you are ignoring the much increased player switching this season-in defence-midfied-on the right wing, and up front
and also ignore the fact that armstrong and nhunt got pretty much straight in the team bar a week or so.

Im not ignoring it cos you dont understand what i mean!

Anyway, the "swapping" you're on about was only done due to injury or suspension and to be honest the players coming in weren't any better than those going out.

Marcus injured - Federici in
Bikey suspended - Dubbery in
Kebe suspended - Henry in
Marek injured - Karacan/Cisse in
N.Hunt injured - Lita in

What im on about is signing decent players that can fill those positions straight away.....yes Tabb will play "when ready" but "when ready" might be too late when we miss out on promotion and our best players all leave the club.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Feb 2009 17:28

Of course we won't offer him a massive deal if he doesn't want to stay. We'll talk to him in private and try to convince him to sign a new contract because it'll be best for the club.

We'll still try and convince him to stay. Depending on how he feels maybe not that hard, because we understand the reality. But he'll be offered a contract.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 12 Feb 2009 17:38

Ian Royal But he'll be offered a contract.

Not if he tells us he's going....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Feb 2009 18:11

Sun Tzu

You appear to be thinking in rather simplistic black and white terms. There will be a dialogue.

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 12 Feb 2009 18:35

Royalee knobcheese.

I rather like this word. I shall try to use it in conversation when next the opportunity arises.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 12 Feb 2009 18:47

Meanwhile Coppell insists he is in no rush to discuss renewing his contract as manager as he is focusing on promotion.

His current deal runs out at the end of the season and, as we revealed yesterday, the club will open talks with him in the next few weeks.

“I never ever look beyond my existing contract,” said Coppell. “I am in exactly the same position as some of the players. I’m sure what will happen will be determined by where we finish – the same goes for the players.

“I don’t make the decisions. My only desire is to get as many points as we can and finish as high as we can.”

Reading will be keen to keep Coppell even if they do miss out on promotion.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... ay_coppell

Also interesting to read what Coppell thinks of Harper.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 12 Feb 2009 21:26

Ian Royal
Sun Tzu

You appear to be thinking in rather simplistic black and white terms. There will be a dialogue.

Excellent, you've finally come round to what I said 4 pages ago !!

They will talk, if they decide the partnership will is worth continuing then a contract will be drawn up. if they decide that it's time to part then the lawyers won't get a look in.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Feb 2009 22:16

you're doing a schards and talking semantics.

My arguement has been consistent all along. There is an open offer for Coppell to sign a new contract. Discussions won't be gone into until closer to the end of the season, but the club will be trying to persuade him that he still has a job to do next season. Contract terms will be discussed in a dialogue involving him, Hammond and Madejski during this.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Feb 2009 22:20

SCIAG
Ian Royal
Royalee Hopefully he'll go in the summer regardless and we can bring in someone like Martinez who is young, hungry and ambitious.

How did I know you were going to say something stupid like that, as soon as I saw your name as the last response?

Does it gall you that in his 6 seasons Coppell will have taken us to our 4 highest league finishes ever?

[spacey] No he hasn't. 3 highest, maybe.
[/spacey]

Assuming we finish in the top 3 he will.

8th tier 1 ( 8th )
18th tier 1 (18th)
1st tier 2 (21st)
1st, 2nd or 3rd tier 2 (21st, 22nd, 23rd)
2nd tier 2 (larger Premier League = 24)
4th tier 2 (24th)

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 12 Feb 2009 22:46

Ian Royal you're doing a schards and talking semantics.

My arguement has been consistent all along. There is an open offer for Coppell to sign a new contract. Discussions won't be gone into until closer to the end of the season, but the club will be trying to persuade him that he still has a job to do next season. Contract terms will be discussed in a dialogue involving him, Hammond and Madejski during this.

Not sure it's me who's playing with words !

All I've done is followed on from my original thoughts that any new deal will be done on a gentleman's agreement. Terms and conditions won't come into it, Coppell won't go or stay because of what salary may be offered. If you want to make a different point that's fine but I'm not sure it makes much sense to tell me I'm 'doing a Schards' when it's not me that's arguing over anything !!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Feb 2009 12:45

Sun Tzu
Ian Royal you're doing a schards and talking semantics.

Not sure it's me who's playing with words !

All I've done is followed on from my original thoughts that any new deal will be done on a gentleman's agreement. Terms and conditions won't come into it, Coppell won't go or stay because of what salary may be offered. If you want to make a different point that's fine but I'm not sure it makes much sense to tell me I'm 'doing a Schards' when it's not me that's arguing over anything !!

May I remind you, it's you who started quoting and argueing with me.

You appear to be equating offering a contract with salary negotiations and formal written offers. I am not. I am saying he has an open job offer and there will be discussions where he is asked to stay on. Not a formal contract offer, but still to all intents and purposes it's essentially the same thing.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 13 Feb 2009 14:16

Oh dear, I didn't realise it meant that much to you !

I'm happy to concede that everything you have said is spot on

I'm not sure there is much merit in prolonging discussion on something we may as well agree on.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 13 Feb 2009 15:10

Royalee
Royal With Cheese Coppell is Reading - like Curbishley was Charlton. Look what happened to them we he was forced out by the Charlton equivalent of a number of Royalee's

LOL. Charlton had nowhere near the infrastructure and facilities in place of RFC and they replaced Curbishley with three managers in one season which was a complete joke. Perfect comparison knobcheese.

I'm genuinely confused as to the point you are making. Ask any Charlton fan now if they think him going was the best for their club and I think you'll find the answer is a resounding no.

Your views on Coppell are well known so I thought the analogy was well founded.