West Ham Match Thread - Sponsored by CarLOLos Tevez

253 posts
The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 01 Oct 2006 20:35

AbovetheI The faxct his name has Seol in it makes it doubly ironic. Or is it moronic? :?

A little from column A, a little from column B.

bracknell loyal royal!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bracknell loyal royal! » 01 Oct 2006 20:40

M4 Junction 11
Big Ern Sidwell MOTM, Trevez not good :shock:

Did you actually watch the game?

With all the hype I thought Tevez would have played better than he did, therefore I was not impressed. Sidwell was my MOTM - FACT!

What about Sonko?! Definately MOTM!!!!!!!

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 01 Oct 2006 20:50

bracknell loyal royal!
M4 Junction 11
Big Ern Sidwell MOTM, Trevez not good :shock:

Did you actually watch the game?

With all the hype I thought Tevez would have played better than he did, therefore I was not impressed. Sidwell was my MOTM - FACT!

What about Sonko?! Definately MOTM!!!!!!!

I agree he was also huge - Sonks keeps getting better and better!! I might change my mind when I see the game on TV (SS1 - Football First) tonight but on what I saw I'd say Sidwell shaded it on what he did all around the park and that off the line clearance ... from the corner who was there to head the ball away.

VOTE
Last edited by M4 Junction 11 on 01 Oct 2006 20:52, edited 1 time in total.

urzzz

by urzzz » 01 Oct 2006 20:51

dunno if this has been asked but does anyone have a link to the goal?

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 01 Oct 2006 20:52

urzzz dunno if this has been asked but does anyone have a link to the goal?

Page 2

Sonic

by Sonic » 01 Oct 2006 20:54

RIP ELM Park
Classic moment was when we sang for Pardew to give us a wave, and he did!! :shock:

Pards always was a clever bloke. He's heard that we're going to extend the mad stad, and what does that mean ....... more hot dog stands !!! With his rather iffy current job prospects he's just looking for a fall back position !!!!

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 01 Oct 2006 21:14

No-one has mentioned that i can see.. the perfect timing of the mahooooosive thunder crash, at kick off, it was pefect timing... which led straight into an amazing bellow of URZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 01 Oct 2006 21:50

Interesting to read the comments of those watching the game from afar.
The way I saw it from the back of the stand was that Reading played a side that lacked any of the old West Ham ,i.e. no passing game and especially later on loads of hit-and-hope long balls more Wimbledon than West Ham,the so called academy of football.
On a pitch that played really well considering the downpour the ball skidded a bit but not much and amazingly Mr Rennie had a fair game and was in no way a homer (nice change for us playing away).
Seol great strike (nothing to do with Bobby) and totally out of keeping with a game that lacked attacking flair with defences on top for most of the game.

3 very valuable points for us and all that I would criticise us for is not holding the ball long enough and poor Lita-he is trying hard but the ball doesn't stick.
In answer to those home posters I think we will have more possession and better attacking play once Kitson is back and Doyle can fed off his play rather than now where Doyle is spending much of his game trying to play lead target man.
A day when you needed to be there to share in the atmosphere rather than sat in the dry somewhere and a day when 3 points were gratefully received even if we fans had to defend for a lot of the second half and do our bit to keep the ball out (at least that is how it felt).
Nice to hear speculation about Pardew's future on 606 on the way home and to hear that his old favourite Andy Hughes had to be restrained by police at Norwich on a day that he helped his manager get the sack-they were doing o.k. until he got fit. :D
Now to watch MOTD2 to see how we looked on the tele.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 01 Oct 2006 22:03

Game just starting on Football First (SS1) Game 2.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 02 Oct 2006 09:40

A thoroughly entertaining day was topped up with 3 well received and deserved (just for the back 4's efforts) points.

After a swift few in Padders we made it (via Threshers) to Whitechapel where by it started to 'officially rain' (quote Silverfox). By the time we made it to Upton Park it was monsoon season and we got absolutely drenched. This morning my feet have trenchfoot.

I was well impressed to see the entire stand standing up with even the little nippers standing on their seats. Of course that goal was brilliant but as usual I and a few others made the excellent mistake of moaning when Seol started dicking around with it before he buried it. Proper get your coat stuff.

The rest of the 1st half wizzed by, Tevez looked ok showing some decent flicks and lay offs but you could sense that West Ham really weren't up to scratch.

Half time was spent serenading Chris Tarrant; 'does your missus know you're here' (bit stupid since they've split up). Another proper LOL moment when the hotdog seller had hundreds of wieners left but no buns. Does this mean that the stand were full of vegetarians who just wanted mayo and a bun? Perhaps I missed the by one hot dog, get a bun free offer.

The 2nd half was the usual backs to the walls old RFC I know, I was waiting for the equaliser only to be relieved by the commanding performance of Sonko and the Ice Man. Tevez quickly turned into a way-ward Eric Banner with some comedy shots. Teddy came on at which I point I groaned only for some bird next to me to chirp up 'don't worry we'll win 3-0'. Yeah right love - fairplay you did sing more than I but at least I was in tune, you were as flat as your tits.

Time ticked on by with West Ham never really threatening, but we weren't holding the ball. The midfield had gone to sleep and we were making it easy for them to get at us. Thankfully they were as ruthless as flea in a freezer. However if we do that anywhere else we'll be in trouble. After Sidders excellent clearance it was game over.

After managing a wild goose chase to find a pub nearby we made it the Upton Park queue. Only a mile long. Great.

After a few cheeky ones back at Padders it was time for me to get back to NSML! towers and wait until Liverpool away on the 4th. As Delia once said; BRING IT ON!

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 02 Oct 2006 10:31

He plays on the left,
He plays on the riiiiight,
Oh that boy Seol,
Made West Ham look shite.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 02 Oct 2006 10:33

EASTENDER MARKY He plays on the left,
He plays on the riiiiight,
Oh that boy Seol,
Made West Ham look shite.

8)

Take your time Seol, was chortLOLetastic :lol:

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 02 Oct 2006 12:00

My thoughts and memories from the game were:

1) Loving the standing - we had a young lad behind us, but he just stood on his seat and was fine. He also had a filthy repertoire of chants for a 10 year old!

2) Liked the comedy West Hooligans in the stand to the left. There was about 5/6 of the standing up the entire game, giving it to the Reading fans. They were right geezers...special mention to the guy in the maroon SI jacket and matching cap...comedy gold.

3) East London is a sh*thole

4) The queue at Upton Park tube...oh my god. Ended up walking to Plaistow.

5) Sonko is immense, definitely Man of the Match. Sidwell close 2nd.

6) We really really miss Kitson and his ability to hold the ball up and win headers away from home. I also feel we sometimes try and attack on the counter too quickly. Sometimes we just need to slow things down and keep possession.

Custard Cream

by Custard Cream » 02 Oct 2006 12:36

Didn't care about getting soaked yesterday. Was rather odd when the sun came out - my wet jacket started steaming!!

Great day out - amazing atmosphere!

I have been to 2 away games so far this season and ended up 'sitting' next to the same guy both times ..... what are the odds on that???

In fact I remember sitting next to him at Leicester away last season too!

I did ask him if he was a stalker, but he assured me he wasn't :)

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 02 Oct 2006 12:50

Seal My thoughts and memories from the game were:

1) Loving the standing - we had a young lad behind us, but he just stood on his seat and was fine. He also had a filthy repertoire of chants for a 10 year old!

2) Liked the comedy West Hooligans in the stand to the left. There was about 5/6 of the standing up the entire game, giving it to the Reading fans. They were right geezers...special mention to the guy in the maroon SI jacket and matching cap...comedy gold.

3) East London is a sh*thole

4) The queue at Upton Park tube...oh my god. Ended up walking to Plaistow.

5) Sonko is immense, definitely Man of the Match. Sidwell close 2nd.

6) We really really miss Kitson and his ability to hold the ball up and win headers away from home. I also feel we sometimes try and attack on the counter too quickly. Sometimes we just need to slow things down and keep possession.

as regards point 6 I agree but unfortunately Kitson is turning in to a bit of a sicknote. Lita for all his endeavour and running was pretty ineffective against a weakened West Ham defence with Ferdinand missing.

The team is doing great but I agree with Coppell that we need to play better and not sit back defending so much. We may yet regret not buying another quality striker as Long still has a lot to learn

YorkshireRoyal

by YorkshireRoyal » 02 Oct 2006 15:39

Better team lost, if only we could play football as good as West Ham. Bored out my brain watching Coppell resort to 11 behind the ball once again.

This lucky run can't continue, we keep getting outclassed game after game, but somehow keep sneaking away with points. When the luck runs out we'll be back fighting relegation.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Oct 2006 15:41

YorkshireRoyal Better team lost, if only we could play football as good as West Ham. Bored out my brain watching Coppell resort to 11 behind the ball once again.

This lucky run can't continue, we keep getting outclassed game after game, but somehow keep sneaking away with points. When the luck runs out we'll be back fighting relegation.

Ahhh bless, did mummy forget to buy you some Rusks when she went shopping.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 02 Oct 2006 15:42

YorkshireRoyal Better team lost, if only we could play football as good as West Ham. Bored out my brain watching Coppell resort to 11 behind the ball once again.

Post of the millenium.

You are Sir Dodger Royal and I claim my cuban.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Oct 2006 16:35

I see the bringing into disrepute of the Real Yorkshire Royal's name continues.

what a load of tosh

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 02 Oct 2006 17:32

In response to Cmonurz's concerns about possession, I'll make the same point that I made after the United game. Possession is only half of the story, position is equally important - having lots of possession in your own half is not especially damaging to the opposition. I haven't seen Sunday's match, but I have read elsewhere that we mainly restricted West Ham to long shots, which suggests that we were keeping them well away from the danger zone.

I agree that not having a lot of the ball is worrying, if for no other reason than the likelihood of fatigue setting in. However, we shouldn't simply read high possession statistics as an indication that the oposition were encamped in our six-yard box.

And for those who responded dismisively to Cmonurz's points, it seems that Coppell himself was critical of our style of play too.

Still, ten points from twelve, ey?.. 8)

Edit 1: Ooops, I meant Cmonurz.

253 posts