Green park station/south Reading station

805 posts
Skyline

by Skyline » 11 May 2007 16:36

Fair enough - I couldn't remember the exact details. I just remember wanting to not be travelling by train when it happened.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 11 May 2007 18:19

This is what the RFC planning statement says (p57)

Green Park Railway Station
Planning permission has been granted for a new railway station at Green Park. The station would be within walking distance of the stadium and is due to open in 2008. The station will be on the Reading to Basingstoke line and will initially be served by a 30 minute service with proposals to increase to a 15 to 20 minute service as demand increases. These services could be used by supporters and subject to capacity, matchday special services could be feasible. Discussions with train operators will be pursued to try and provide these.

Pedestrian and Cycle Facilities
A pedestrian link from Green Park to the stadium provides access between the stadium and the new railway station at Green Park to be completed in 2008. A link between the new railway station and Green Park will be provided by the Kennet Valley Park development.
The existing walkway delivers pedestrians to the site entrance at Northern Way. The Club will improve this with a new, more direct, footpath adjacent Foudry Brook that will deliver spectators on site in the vicinity of the Car Park.2.

The Cube

Re: Green park station/south Reading station

by The Cube » 22 May 2007 23:08

Royalshow Anybody who travels on the Reading to Basingstoke line seen any signs of work starting.The GP website says it will be ready for 2008.Surely this means that work must have started on site?

I'm fed up of using the station shuttle.

I know this question was a long time ago, but I've only just managed to remember to have a look. There are absolutely no signs of any station construction work on either side of the line.

Hope this was helpful.....

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 25 May 2007 16:42

Platypuss This is what the RFC planning statement says (p57)

Planning permission has been granted for a new railway station at Green Park. The station would be within walking distance of the stadium and is due to open in 2008. The station will be on the Reading to Basingstoke line and will initially be served by a 30 minute service with proposals to increase to a 15 to 20 minute service as demand increases. These services could be used by supporters and subject to capacity, matchday special services could be feasible. Discussions with train operators will be pursued to try and provide these.

A pedestrian link from Green Park to the stadium provides access between the stadium and the new railway station at Green Park to be completed in 2008. A link between the new railway station and Green Park will be provided by the Kennet Valley Park development.
The existing walkway delivers pedestrians to the site entrance at Northern Way. The Club will improve this with a new, more direct, footpath adjacent Foudry Brook that will deliver spectators on site in the vicinity of the Car Park.2.

Having spoken to FGW staff at Reading West about this, they will be very lucky if they can convince FGW to lay on more than the normal two car service for that line on a weekend. Not without some substantial payment by RFC anyway

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 25 May 2007 19:09

Huntley & Palmer

Having spoken to FGW staff at Reading West about this, they will be very lucky if they can convince FGW to lay on more than the normal two car service for that line on a weekend. Not without some substantial payment by RFC anyway

Thats not like FGW at all.They never seem to cut corners or put on the least trains they can. :lol: Quite possibly the worst company i have ever used.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 May 2007 13:20

Royalshow
Huntley & Palmer

Thats not like FGW at all.They never seem to cut corners or put on the least trains they can. :lol: Quite possibly the worst company i have ever used.

you should try the trains from Cambridge to London. Slower, shitter, less regular, smaller and not very reliable.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 26 May 2007 15:12

Ian Royal
Royalshow
Huntley & Palmer

you should try the trains from Cambridge to London. Slower, shitter, less regular, smaller and not very reliable.

Not sure if it's the same individual or holding company as the Cambridge line but I travelled to Norwich in February. The train I was due to catch from Reading to Paddington was late, so I caught an earlier one as my connection time was only half an hour between Paddington and Liverpool Street. I therefore incurred an extra fee as my ticket wasn't valid on the train I caught. The train was also dirty and litter strewn. The train to Norwich from Liverpool Street was on time and clean as well, as One Rail seem to clean their trains after every journey. The journey back was a reverse of the journey there, with the Paddington train late and dirty and the Liverpool Street train on time and clean. Complete contrast.

I also do Theale to Twyford every day. The 0808 Theale to Reading is usually puntually not too bad, but is generally unclean. The 0831 Reading to Twyford is again generally not too bad punctually, but is already strewn with litter. The amount of Metro's left on the floor, seats bins, is ridiculous. Unfortunately FGW have a reputation for unclean trains, and the amount of delays is high. IMO FGW can f**k off. The only reason I use them is because I have no choice, and that includes the bus.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 May 2007 15:31

The Cambridge liverpool st trains function as their supposed to about once a month.

you get delays more often on the Reading padd line, but there are so many trains it doesn't usually cause that much of a problem.

Cambridge to Brum is a pig as well. I'm yet to ctach my intended train in about 4 attempts. and it's an hour between them.

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 26 May 2007 17:11

the whole of the train network is oxf*rd up really

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 30 May 2007 10:02

handbags_harris
Ian Royal
Royalshow
Huntley & Palmer

Not sure if it's the same individual or holding company as the Cambridge line but I travelled to Norwich in February. The train I was due to catch from Reading to Paddington was late, so I caught an earlier one as my connection time was only half an hour between Paddington and Liverpool Street. I therefore incurred an extra fee as my ticket wasn't valid on the train I caught. The train was also dirty and litter strewn. The train to Norwich from Liverpool Street was on time and clean as well, as One Rail seem to clean their trains after every journey. The journey back was a reverse of the journey there, with the Paddington train late and dirty and the Liverpool Street train on time and clean. Complete contrast.

I also do Theale to Twyford every day. The 0808 Theale to Reading is usually puntually not too bad, but is generally unclean. The 0831 Reading to Twyford is again generally not too bad punctually, but is already strewn with litter. The amount of Metro's left on the floor, seats bins, is ridiculous. Unfortunately FGW have a reputation for unclean trains, and the amount of delays is high. IMO FGW can f**k off. The only reason I use them is because I have no choice, and that includes the bus.

You were lucky, the Norwich to Liverpool St service is a cattle truck most times.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 30 May 2007 11:30

Huntley & Palmer Having spoken to FGW staff at Reading West about this, they will be very lucky if they can convince FGW to lay on more than the normal two car service for that line on a weekend. Not without some substantial payment by RFC anyway

FGW do put on extra services for big sporting events (like Newbury Races, for example) when they lay on extra trains and carriages.

I see no reason why they wouldn't do this for Reading games.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 30 May 2007 12:13

Jerry St Clair
Huntley & Palmer Having spoken to FGW staff at Reading West about this, they will be very lucky if they can convince FGW to lay on more than the normal two car service for that line on a weekend. Not without some substantial payment by RFC anyway

FGW do put on extra services for big sporting events (like Newbury Races, for example) when they lay on extra trains and carriages.

Henley Regatta being another example (although even the addition of 2 carriages is still nowhere near enough!).

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 30 May 2007 18:03

Royalshow the whole of the train network is oxf*rd up really

For someone who has commuted to London for 20 years I have suffered the bad with the truely appalling, but must admit that SWT have got it right- the trains are new, good quality and clean; They re-did the timetable so that the trains have a chance of running on time - which they do - annoyingly it took a while to adjust to the fact that trains shut their doors 30secs before departure time, rather than allowing for them turning up 5 minutes late. The only downside is the ever growing cost of a train ticket - and thank god I do not park (currently £8:50 a day, when a train ticket is £32 per week).

so in summary some parts of the network have managed to unoxf*ord themselves.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 30 May 2007 20:16

SWLR
Royalshow the whole of the train network is oxf*rd up really

For someone who has commuted to London for 20 years I have suffered the bad with the truely appalling, but must admit that SWT have got it right- the trains are new, good quality and clean; They re-did the timetable so that the trains have a chance of running on time - which they do - annoyingly it took a while to adjust to the fact that trains shut their doors 30secs before departure time, rather than allowing for them turning up 5 minutes late. The only downside is the ever growing cost of a train ticket - and thank god I do not park (currently £8:50 a day, when a train ticket is £32 per week).

so in summary some parts of the network have managed to unoxf*ord themselves.

To be fair, agreed. SWT had an appalling record up until about 2 years ago when suddenly everything seemed to run smoothly. Those old slam door trains were part of the problem, and not particularly appealing to the traveller either, but the new trains they have are spacious and reliable. And they run on time. FGW, take note!!!

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 31 May 2007 11:56

Jerry St Clair

From what the guard was saying, it comes down to the fact that this will be a regular occurrance rather than once in a while like Newbury. They usually run 2-3 car trains on that line and the rolling stock is more vital elsewhere on the network. As I say, only relaying what I was told.

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 12 Jun 2007 21:06

Any sign of doing anything yet?

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 16 Jun 2007 07:03

With regard to Platform capacity at Reading, the station layout means that trains can also leave for the Basingstoke line, (which diverges from the main Berks & Hants Line at Southcote Junction), from Platform 4, 5 or 8, all of which are capable of handling 12 coach trains if necessary.

This already happens on a daily basis with cross country movements featuring trains of 8 carriages plus, which run 'fast' to Basingstoke and beyond.

The restrictions on train length will imposed by the length of platforms at Green Park. (And of course, the other intermediate stations on the line).

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 16 Jun 2007 10:23

sandown race course, 2 trains an our stop at esher but on race days they stop loads of trains there that would normally be through services

so theoretically they could get the bournemouth and portsmouth trains that run fast to/from basingstoke to stop at green park on match days

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 27 Jun 2007 09:21

weybridgewanderer sandown race course, 2 trains an our stop at esher but on race days they stop loads of trains there that would normally be through services

so theoretically they could get the bournemouth and portsmouth trains that run fast to/from basingstoke to stop at green park on match days

Only if the platforms were long enough to deal with these trains.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 27 Jun 2007 09:32

bobby m's syrup
weybridgewanderer sandown race course, 2 trains an our stop at esher but on race days they stop loads of trains there that would normally be through services

Only if the platforms were long enough to deal with these trains.

Not necessarily. On the Reading to Waterloo line the trains at peak times used to be 8 coaches in length even though the platforms at stations like Earey could only accomodate 4 of them. You were just told to only use the front 4 coaches if you wanted to get off at certain stations. I don't see why that can't be the case at Green Park.

805 posts