Are Reading really this bad?

221 posts
Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Sep 2007 16:00

Am gonna post this again on this thread is its probably more relevant to this one than the one i put it on. :oops:

There's not a manager in the history of football that didn't want a couple of players to improve his squad. One of the reasons Coppell has such a good relationship with JM is because he is equally as prudent and equally doesn't want to spend over the odds on players. Therefore if someone did come along that Coppell thought was worth the money then ive no doubt JM would stump up the money. It's wages that will prove to be the stumbling block as far as JM is concerned and its wages that will narrow down an awful lot of the market for Coppell..

Up until now we've done well to keep hold of players that have been crucial to our development over the last 5 or 6 seasons. We've been able to build a togetherness and team ethic by this method without spending excess money on individuals. Sidwell's departure and the speculation concerning Shorey and to a lesser extent Lita means that those elements that were our strength are going to be severely tested.

In my opinion keeping hold of Shorey during this window was more important that bringing in any of the numerous names that have been bandied around on these boards. To have lost another vital cog in our success so soon after Sidwell would really have sent a negative message out to players, fans ( although most seem to take that view anyway) and opposition alike.

If we're not going to compete on the financial level of the majority of this league then we need to continue to concentrate on the things we do well. Of course we will lose out on potential signings and inevitably individual players will leave us but if we can keep this to minimum of 1 a season ( and make sure they leave on our terms ) then thats the best we can hope for.

As depressing as it sounds to most fans, every season we spend in the top division, mixing with the big boys but doing it on our terms should be viewed as a success, not as a reason for the wrist slashing that is going on at the moment.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 03 Sep 2007 16:10

paultheroyal
Gordons Cumming Now they're having a go at Doyle!!!!!!

FFS

:roll:

What a bunch of t*ts!!

All bow to the messiah!

I have been to all games this season - and its just not happening for him. Seems short of pace - hold up play has been missing and is just not sharp. Just an observation.

Apart from the Chelsea game I don't think Doyle has been the same player since he returned from injury. Could be simply down to lack of confidence, keep thinking he just needs to score a scrappy goal to give him a boost. Agree with those who said Kitson should start, though the Sunderland game is one where we'll need to get stuck in to get a result, it suits Hunt better than Convey.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Sep 2007 17:36

KC Royal
paultheroyal
Gordons Cumming Now they're having a go at Doyle!!!!!!

FFS

What a bunch of t*ts!!

All bow to the messiah!

I have been to all games this season - and its just not happening for him. Seems short of pace - hold up play has been missing and is just not sharp. Just an observation.

Apart from the Chelsea game I don't think Doyle has been the same player since he returned from injury. Could be simply down to lack of confidence, keep thinking he just needs to score a scrappy goal to give him a boost. Agree with those who said Kitson should start, though the Sunderland game is one where we'll need to get stuck in to get a result, it suits Hunt better than Convey.

We've had a tough start to the season in terms of number and intensity of games.

Kitson looked up for it Saturday and so did Convey. Hunt was probably still knackered.

Reading West

by Reading West » 04 Sep 2007 10:15

IMHO we've had 3 good games and 2 bad games in the 2 bad games we've tinkered (due to injury) with the wide positions which hasn't worked.(even though fae should make a very good CM).I'm sure SC will sort that out for the sunderland game.

Jason Cundy on talk sport yesterday he didn't expect Reading to stay in the bottom3 for too long.

Also had a quick chat with Sonks on sunday, and he hopes to be back soon.

No need to panic :lol:

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 04 Sep 2007 10:22

I know its early days but the one slightly alarming thing is the fact that we've picked up more points in the less pressured "bonus games" (ie Man U/Chelsea/Everton) than in the bread and butter games (Bolton/W Ham) so far. That was true of West Ham, and to a lesser degree Sheff Utd last season, and was one of the main reasons why both struggled imo. It suggests that either, as someone mentioned with Doyle, that we're feeling the pressure of being a proven Premiership team this season, or complacency, which at times did look evident against West Ham.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Sep 2007 10:24

Or that we've just put in 2 poor performances.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 04 Sep 2007 10:29

Or that the season is not decided on two results, Bolton were under pressure to win, and West Ham had a point to prove after last season, also spent loads and players like Bellamy can do real damage if on top form which he was.

Cookie

Re: Are Reading really this bad?

by Cookie » 05 Sep 2007 20:32

Forest Gump Second deservedly heavy loss in a row; failed to score for 2nd premiership game; defence all at sea; no confidence up front.
So perhaps we deserve to be 3rd bottom? I know it's still early in the season but it we are going to survive something needs to change.

In the week Coppell was complaining about the effect of injuries/call-ups on the squad and the club respond by releasing more players on loan without apparently taking advantage of the transfer window before it closed.

Steve Coppell must be very concerned about his teams prospects. I know that I am. So someone give me a reason to be cheerful!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 Dec 2007 02:06

Worth reading some of the reaction after the home game against West Ham to see the contrast in mood 3 months on...

All is not rosy yet of course but IMHO there was always a damned sight more reason for the supporters to retain faith in the squad than not. Those of us who had it have been suitably rewarded with a solid progression since that somewhat depressing afternoon in September.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 28 Dec 2007 07:24

Every Reading fan been rewarded, it was down to the Management and the players.

From the fans who thought that the team could not improve to the fans who knew that a team does not become consistently poor overnight - everyone has been rewarded.

Especially the loyal fans that travelled home and away to see their team play.

Even so, no sliding scale.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Dec 2007 18:22

readingbedding Every Reading fan been rewarded, it was down to the Management and the players.

From the fans who thought that the team could not improve to the fans who knew that a team does not become consistently poor overnight - everyone has been rewarded.

Especially the loyal fans that travelled home and away to see their team play.

Even so, no sliding scale.

Hear hear.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 Dec 2007 22:41

Indeed; but those who showed unwavering faith in the ability of the players and management to get things right during the dodgy spell are somewhat more deserving of their reward.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Dec 2007 00:09

Royal Rother ......so shove it up your bollocks floyd_streete.

Here here - and same goes for that chap Cmupmyarse as well

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 29 Dec 2007 00:26

It's not really a p*ssing contest, from the fan who can see them home and away all the way to the fans who follow Reading through the media etc, we're all fans in our own way.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 29 Dec 2007 00:31

readingbedding It's not really a p*ssing contest, from the fan who can see them home and away all the way to the fans who follow Reading through the media etc, we're all fans in our own way.
On the other hand, we're all equally entitled to bask in the warm glow of our own superiority when we get the chance, so - as usual - I'm with Brother Rother on this one.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Dec 2007 00:35

Exactly Arch. What reward do us positive fans get if we don't get to gloat when the negative nancy's are proved to have declared the demise of RFC early once more.

nyar nyar nya nyar nyar.

Told you we weren't doomed to be whipping boys and guaranteed relegation. :P

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 29 Dec 2007 00:54

I still can't believe there were some idiots on BBCRB no less than 4-5 weeks ago calling for Coppell to be sacked.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 29 Dec 2007 00:57

Ian Royal Exactly Arch. What reward do us positive fans get if we don't get to gloat when the negative nancy's are proved to have declared the demise of RFC early once more.

nyar nyar nya nyar nyar.

Not much in the grand scheme of things to be honest, loads and loads of fans agree with you.
Surely when you go to these matches you've felt that.

Some people will moan about anything I guess, and reach for the panic button.

Now where is that more deserving and more superior tent?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Dec 2007 01:13

readingbedding
Ian Royal Exactly Arch. What reward do us positive fans get if we don't get to gloat when the negative nancy's are proved to have declared the demise of RFC early once more.

nyar nyar nya nyar nyar.

Not much in the grand scheme of things to be honest, loads and loads of fans agree with you.
Surely when you go to these matches you've felt that.

Some people will moan about anything I guess, and reach for the panic button.

Now where is that more deserving and more superior tent?

The bastards do shout loud sometimes. It can get quite unnerving and make you think you're one of very very few who arn't reactionary idiots.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 29 Dec 2007 01:16

God I love being part of the RTG brigade. We're really on top at the moment aren't we guys? :wink: :wink:

221 posts