Shane Long

1472 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Shane Long

by Snowball » 05 Feb 2009 22:30

Woodcote Royal Kitson and Doyle both contribute more than just scoring goals but you are having a laugh if you think this applies to Lita.

When on form, Leroy scores goals, that's it.

Agreed. Just look at the official numbers of assists attributed to Lita 7 in 4 years

In the last two seasons 2 goals and 1 assists 14 Starts 07 sub appearances = 14.7 "games" LITA (two totally meaningless goals, 4th score 90th minute when we are winning 3-0)
In the last two seasons 6 goals and 4 assists 10 starts 43 sub appearances = 14.3 "games" LONG (IMPORTANT GOALS.. won two points v Norwich, a point at Southampton, match-winner v Newcastle, first goal v Man City, made winner v Sunderland)

So in almost exactly the same time on the pitch for RFC Long has scored THREE times LITA's goals and FOUR times his assists

Lita's goals have meant ZIP
Long has won us at least 7 points.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 05 Feb 2009 23:36

Lita's had his chance lets start Shane saturday

Royal1983

by Royal1983 » 06 Feb 2009 07:57

juanpablo Lita's had his chance lets start Shane Saturday

Long does not deserve to start the game Saturday, I still think N.Hunt and Lita to start as they are our quickest forwards, them together would upset any defense just because of their pace and their ability to be in a position that is a threat. Lita is nowhere near as petulant as he was before he went on loan and he no longer struts. The reason I like him now is due to the fact that I can see a change in him even if others can't I never liked him 05-06 or 06-07 because of his attitude but he seems to have either toned it down or grown up and gotten rid of it. Long has developed an attitude and while he is seen as the golden boy by cops he won't go anywhere even if it would help him improve!!!!

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 06 Feb 2009 08:16

juanpablo Lita's had his chance lets start Shane saturday

So one start is a chance is it?? I am glad you are not the manager.

If anything Doyle needs to be dropped, his scoring has dropped dramatically.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Feb 2009 09:13

Royal1983
juanpablo Lita's had his chance lets start Shane Saturday

Long does not deserve to start the game Saturday, I still think N.Hunt and Lita to start as they are our quickest forwards, them together would upset any defense just because of their pace and their ability to be in a position that is a threat.

Long is faster than Lita. Doyle and Lita have both said that on seperate occaisions.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 06 Feb 2009 09:21

Snowball So you and the handful of other idiots that think Long somehow deserves more of a chance, over and above the hundreds of sub appearances he has managed to muster in his career here, know more than Coppell and the vast majority of RFC fans.

The above is a perfect example of the moronic input from too many on this list

Can you COUNT? When did SIXTY-FIVE become HUNDREDS?

The lad has started in the league a total of 20 times and appeared as sub in the league 65 times, many of those appearances being for less than ten minutes

Here's a lesson. 20+65 =85

Even if you add every cup game he has only started 34 games and been sub 65 times

Another lesson. 34+65 = 99. 99 is LESS THAN ONE hundred

I wasn't being literal :roll: Coppell in his latest interview has said that he will probably go with Leroy and Doyle up front eventhough Hunt is available. Will be interesting to see if Long is relegated from the bench as a result

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 06 Feb 2009 09:22

Snowball
Woodcote Royal Kitson and Doyle both contribute more than just scoring goals but you are having a laugh if you think this applies to Lita.

Agreed. Just look at the official numbers of assists attributed to Lita 7 in 4 years

In the last two seasons 2 goals and 1 assists 14 Starts 07 sub appearances = 14.7 "games" LITA (two totally meaningless goals, 4th score 90th minute when we are winning 3-0)
In the last two seasons 6 goals and 4 assists 10 starts 43 sub appearances = 14.3 "games" LONG (IMPORTANT GOALS.. won two points v Norwich, a point at Southampton, match-winner v Newcastle, first goal v Man City, made winner v Sunderland)

So in almost exactly the same time on the pitch for RFC Long has scored THREE times LITA's goals and FOUR times his assists

Why not look over the last four seasons, or does that not aid your stats?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 06 Feb 2009 09:43

Woodcote Royal All Leroy has to do to be genuinley ahead of Long is score about 5 goals a season.

Done. He has 8 this season.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Feb 2009 10:42

cmonurz
Woodcote Royal All Leroy has to do to be genuinley ahead of Long is score about 5 goals a season.

Not for Reading. I personally don't give a damn what players do out on loan.

You need to ask why doesn't he do it for READING?

Maybe he tried a bit harder at Norwich, looking for the move.

And yet again, people fail to make comparisons allowing for games started

Sure Lita has done "OK" But he has started TWENTY league games and scored 8. 20 (3) = 20.3 "games"

Long has started THREE games and scored three goals. His appearances are the opposite 3 (21) = 5 .1 "games"

Let's get something right. If Player X played 46 games and scored 23 goals, and
Player Y arrived in January, played 15 games and "only" scored 22 goals, you'd rate X higher?

X has scored more goals. MUST be better, right?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 06 Feb 2009 10:47

FFS. Is there a more misleading stat than 'starts and goals'?

3 starts, 3 goals makes Shane Long look like a superstar. Stop using it, it means absolutely nothing.

Woodcote said that to be considered above Long, Lita needs 5 goals. He has 8 this season, having convinced a team to play him from the start. Long has not achieved that.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 06 Feb 2009 10:52

Huntley & Palmer
Snowball So you and the handful of other idiots that think Long somehow deserves more of a chance, over and above the hundreds of sub appearances he has managed to muster in his career here, know more than Coppell and the vast majority of RFC fans.

The above is a perfect example of the moronic input from too many on this list

Can you COUNT? When did SIXTY-FIVE become HUNDREDS?

The lad has started in the league a total of 20 times and appeared as sub in the league 65 times, many of those appearances being for less than ten minutes

Here's a lesson. 20+65 =85

Even if you add every cup game he has only started 34 games and been sub 65 times

Another lesson. 34+65 = 99. 99 is LESS THAN ONE hundred

I wasn't being literal :roll: Coppell in his latest interview has said that he will probably go with Leroy and Doyle up front eventhough Hunt is available. Will be interesting to see if Long is relegated from the bench as a result

Normally at home Coppell goes with 2 strikers on the bench

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Feb 2009 11:02

Huntley & Palmer
Snowball

Why not look over the last four seasons, or does that not aid your stats?

BECAUSE

(A) Leroy has been going steadily downhill each year

Season 1 he was in the 106-point side when we scored for fun 22 (4) 11 goals
Season 2 he didn't look quite so hot 22 (11) 7 goals
Season 3 he looked crap 10 (4) 1
Season 4 he doesn't look much (for Reading) 4 (3) and one goal.

(B) I'm comparing two players Long & Lita

Long did not play his first start until April 17th 2006, with just two games of the season left. Effectively a blank season

(C) Long was just 19 then, a raw recruit that Coppell himself called a long-term prospect signing

So OK, given the imbalance in age and chances we could measure the two over the last 3 seasons

LITA.................LONG
22 (11) 07......09 (12) 02
10 (04) 01......07 (22) 03
04 (03) 01......03 (21) 03
36 (18) 09......19 (55) 08

36 (18) 09 goals: So in three years Lita needs 4 starts and two sub appearances to score one goal
19 (55) 08 goals: So in three years Long has need 2.4 starts and 7 as sub to score a goal

If you call a sub appearance 18 minutes average

36+04 = 40 games for 9 goals LITA
19+11 = 30 games for 8 goals LONG

I really don't see why you people cannot see it.

Yes, Lita, briefly has shown great promise but he has also looked selfish, poor attitude
and you cannot argue that he has not committed to the club, wants the money when
he leaves, has scored just two goals for Reading in two seasons (Long has scored six in the same time period, less games)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Feb 2009 11:04

cmonurz FFS. Is there a more misleading stat than 'starts and goals'?

3 starts, 3 goals makes Shane Long look like a superstar. Stop using it, it means absolutely nothing.

Woodcote said that to be considered above Long, Lita needs 5 goals. He has 8 this season, having convinced a team to play him from the start. Long has not achieved that.

Starts mean CONFIDENCE. The stats are absolute facts. How you interpret them is your business.

I have ALSO posted time on the pitch, and Long still beats Lita for minutes per goal

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 06 Feb 2009 11:26

Huntley & Palmer
Woodcote Royal
Royal Lady You can hardly complain that Leroy didn't score against QPR when our most prolific striker didn't either. :roll:

I'm not even suggesting he had that bad a game just that this was yet another match in which he was given the chance to show his fans that he is so much better than "no talent" Long yet he drew another blank whereas as Shane keeps chipping in with the odd goal from the bench.

Both players should count themselves lucky not to be fighting it out for 4th or 5th spot and Lita's fan club need to wake up and smell the coffee.

So you and the handful of other idiots that think Long somehow deserves more of a chance, over and above the hundreds of sub appearances he has managed to muster in his career here, know more than Coppell and the vast majority of RFC fans. :lol:

:mrgreen:

I was seriously tempted to ask if you wrote this post for a bet, before remembering that you are sufficiently deluded to believe such utter nonsense.

Just to remind you, I wanted us to sign another striker in the window because we are missing a third option worthy of the term. Had I been Coppell last Saturday, I would have started Leroy but still given Long his sub appearance, especially if we hadn't scored after an hour.

Long does OK from the bench but rarely does anything when he starts whilst Lita has contributed 2 league goals in 2 years to our cause......................how big an idiot does one have to be to big up the cause for EITHER player, especially those who ignore Long's modest achievements in favour of Lita's one goal a season :|

Huntley & Palmer Lita has far bigger respect amongst the fans, as witnessed by the reaction of the crowd at home when he has come on since his return from Norwich. Long appearing raises nothing more than a polite clap, he doesn't offer the excitement nor the anticipation of Leroy whether starting or as a sub.

:mrgreen:

Was it you who said Hahnmann was cr@p because he's got short arms :D I just wondered because this observation is on a par with it. So, Leroy should play because he gets a big cheer from those who know slightly more about this game than you.

Furthermore, where is the evidence to suggest that Long is happy just coming off the bench? What we do know is that Lita demanded to go out on loan rather than wait his turn................................a great attitude worthy of consideration over those who are prepared to stick around and fight for their place :|

Their are idiots and then are moderators who should have faced a Court Martial years ago (and I'm referring to you and no one else)
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 06 Feb 2009 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Feb 2009 11:29

Their are idiots and then are moderators who should have faced a Court Martial years ago (and I'm referring to you and no one else)

eh?!

your all idiots IMO by the way

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 06 Feb 2009 11:45

Both Lita and Long have something to offer RFC as they are different types of striker; personally, I think it would be better if we actually kept hold of some of our younger strikers and saw their development and maturity through to something approaching the finished article - which neither Lita or Long are at this time.

Our recent past has been littered with discarded younger strikers who have pushed on and developed with other clubs; Henderson, Tyson and Cox being 3 that come immediately to mind (and a case could be made for Morgan as well).

I would like to think that both will play a part for us during the rest of the season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 Feb 2009 11:47

Snowball
cmonurz

Perhaps you should be asking yourself that question as it gives a great indication as to why Lita is thought of as a better player than Long, and one more trusted by his manager to start games when his first choice two are unavailable.

It shows that perhaps we've not got the best out of Lita and that Norwich managed to harness his ability a little better than us, or that Lita just needs to be trusted to play and let loose, in the same way as Doyle is trusted to through his lean spell (in terms of goals scored) at the moment.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 06 Feb 2009 12:05

Hoop Blah
Perhaps you should be asking yourself that question as it gives a great indication as to why Lita is thought of as a better player than Long, and one more trusted by his manager to start games when his first choice two are unavailable.

It shows that perhaps we've not got the best out of Lita and that Norwich managed to harness his ability a little better than us, or that Lita just needs to be trusted to play and let loose, in the same way as Doyle is trusted to through his lean spell (in terms of goals scored) at the moment.

God forbid that anyone should consider how many goals Long might have scored had he thrown his toys out of the pram and demanded to out on loan rather than snatching a few minutes off our bench to impress..........................................let's face it, hell will freeze over before an original thought enters cmonurz head.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 06 Feb 2009 12:16

:lol:

Or, Lita knows that the worst thing for him and Reading is that he stagnates on the bench, and asked, rather than demanded, that he go out on loan. The loan spell maintained his match sharpness at this level, as well as proving he can score goals in the Championship. 8 of them, which is more than 5.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Feb 2009 12:18

Snowball
cmonurz

So why did he refuse the move he was offered?

Whilst you can't take appearances and goals for Norwich without the proviso that they inevitably play differently to us and so it's not quite the same. Lita has got 1 goal in about 6 appearances for Reading this season, which isn't especially bad for a player struggling with form in our team. Particularly seeing as about half of those appearances occured at the start of the season when the whole team was misfiring, and our biggest assist provider was at left back.

Long has failed to force himself into the first team plans, or impress in anyway when he's been giving starting appearances in the entire time he has been here.

Neither are ideal, but Lita is a much more worthy cause to play than Long.

Long may not have a great deal of cards this season, but then he doesn't have a great deal of minutes either. COmpare his minutes to Rosenior for example (given this is what you're doing for goals and Lita) and I'm sure he has a much higher card rate per minute.

And given he tends to come on late as a sub, he doesn't get that much opportunity to get cards, because refs will not usually book you for your first offence or two. Unless they are very serious.

Long is an ok 4th choice Championship striker. That is all.

1472 posts