54%
no
46%

Total votes: 82
rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Coppell to sign contract next

by rg6royal » 06 Feb 2009 11:57

I hope so. It's simple...If we go up then he stays for at least one more season. If we don't go up then he goes.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 06 Feb 2009 12:40

W&E Royal If we go up then he'll stay, why would he go? If we stay down then he'll go, why would he stay?

What ever the outcome this season, Steve Coppell will be leaving, but hopefully on a high. He wants that 'break' and you can't argue really.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 06 Feb 2009 13:31

Deathy
W&E Royal If we go up then he'll stay, why would he go? If we stay down then he'll go, why would he stay?

What ever the outcome this season, Steve Coppell will be leaving, but hopefully on a high. He wants that 'break' and you can't argue really.

I thouhgt he said that he had a nice break at the end of last season, and came back refreshed, perhaps a 6 week break at the end of each season is whats needed.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 06 Feb 2009 13:33

Sun Tzu
The 17 Bus
Should the worst happen and he decides to leave for any reason, i hope that perhaps the club can arrange a charity match, so that we are able to wish him well, and thank him for all he has done at RFC.

Maybe we could stage a game against Birmingham in early May ?

Do you think he will have made his decision by that game then??

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 06 Feb 2009 13:36

The 17 Bus
Deathy

I thouhgt he said that he had a nice break at the end of last season, and came back refreshed, perhaps a 6 week break at the end of each season is whats needed.

He said he needed a break from the game, not a bleedin' holiday in Florida.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 06 Feb 2009 13:49

I think managers should be shown a lot more loyalty than what most clubs give them. Only a handful do this, and i'm glad we're one of those. Long live Sir Steve Coppell.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 06 Feb 2009 14:11

I got the feeling at the end of last season that SSC was getting fed up with the whole game of football and wanted a break or an early retirement. Even though he was persuaded to stay on this season, I've always felt that whatever happens to us at the end of the season, he'll decide to go.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Feb 2009 15:31

bummer, I was undecided, so picked no and now it's 51% against

If I'd said yes it would be 51% for and I could feel happy

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Feb 2009 16:10

The 17 Bus
Sun Tzu
The 17 Bus
Should the worst happen and he decides to leave for any reason, i hope that perhaps the club can arrange a charity match, so that we are able to wish him well, and thank him for all he has done at RFC.

Maybe we could stage a game against Birmingham in early May ?

Do you think he will have made his decision by that game then??

Probably.

But if he hasn't there won't be any chance of arranging a game after it....

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 06 Feb 2009 17:12

The day Coppell leaves will be the end of an era.

If he leaves in the Summer it will probably be a disaster.

Palace haven't been the same post coppell. We are far better off with Coppell staying with Reading for decades.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 Feb 2009 17:31

Hopefully he'll go in the summer regardless and we can bring in someone like Martinez who is young, hungry and ambitious.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Feb 2009 21:28

Royalee Hopefully he'll go in the summer regardless and we can bring in someone like Martinez who is young, hungry and ambitious.

How did I know you were going to say something stupid like that, as soon as I saw your name as the last response?

Does it gall you that in his 6 seasons Coppell will have taken us to our 4 highest league finishes ever?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 Feb 2009 21:51

Coppell's had more resources than any other Reading manager in the club's history by a country mile, people forget that. Madejski is the reason we are where we are today, not Coppell. If Man City win the title and Champions League in the next five years after spending the most they've ever done in their history by a street, it won't make Mark Hughes the best manager in the club's history - what a stupid thing to say.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 07 Feb 2009 05:15

Top Flight The day Coppell leaves will be the end of an era.

If he leaves in the Summer it will probably be a disaster.

Palace haven't been the same post coppell. We are far better off with Coppell staying with Reading for decades.

That's some sense right there

Agreed 100%

If he cant be convinced to stay on as manager I'd like to think RFC would offer him another role within the club

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 07 Feb 2009 09:00

I think it's more about the stability of the club. Clubs that change managers generally don't do as well as those that keep them long term. Coppell knows he fits in well here, and I can see him giving the prem another shot if we get promoted. The season after that I'm not so sure.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 07 Feb 2009 10:54

Royalee Coppell's had more resources than any other Reading manager in the club's history by a country mile, people forget that. Madejski is the reason we are where we are today, not Coppell. If Man City win the title and Champions League in the next five years after spending the most they've ever done in their history by a street, it won't make Mark Hughes the best manager in the club's history - what a stupid thing to say.

Of course due to the huge influx of funds into the game EVERY manager at just about EVERY club has got more resources than his predecessors over the last century or so so that's a bit of a weak criticism. Presumably Ferguson is no shakes as a manager becasue he's had so much money at his disposal ?

Coppell has also generated more funds than any manager has ever done at Reading and it's possible his NET spend isn't any higher than (say) Pardew's.

And if Madejski is the sole reason you have to wonder what happened in the 11 years before Coppell arrived because I can't recall many Premiership seasons, but I can recall a few relegations.

Bottom line is that it's been a three way thing - Coppell, JM and circumstances. The 3 have combined extremely well. Remove any one of them and things wouldn't be so rosy.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Feb 2009 20:18

Ian Royal
Royalee Hopefully he'll go in the summer regardless and we can bring in someone like Martinez who is young, hungry and ambitious.

How did I know you were going to say something stupid like that, as soon as I saw your name as the last response?

Does it gall you that in his 6 seasons Coppell will have taken us to our 4 highest league finishes ever?

[spacey] No he hasn't. 3 highest, maybe.
[/spacey]

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 08 Feb 2009 17:31

SCIAG
Ian Royal

[spacey] No he hasn't. 3 highest, maybe.
[/spacey]

If we go up automatically he will have done.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 08 Feb 2009 17:43

:roll: for 'hopefully'.

Are you saying Coppell isn't ambitious? Here, have another :roll: .

If he wasn't ambitious, he wouldn't be in the fecing game, would he!!

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 09 Feb 2009 12:35

If Coppell steps down then fine, he has lived out his contract and also goes away being our best ever manager. I for one will be back down the car park with a thank you sign! :wink: