Royalty points-what is the point?

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

Re: Royalty points-what is the point?

by T.R.O.L.I. » 09 May 2011 12:44

Svlad Cjelli
T.R.O.L.I. TBF, Brendy, that's the crux - any banding (even 100+) would have been slightly fairer. As Schards pointed out - he bought a ticket for his daughter and she had 0 RPs.

So Schards - a ST holder - is a happy bunny.

Forget the fact that she is the daughter of a STH for the moment. The issue for some here is that it's a newbie with 0 points.

But as you say - it's not like we've sold out already.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 09 May 2011 12:47

T.R.O.L.I.
Svlad Cjelli
T.R.O.L.I. TBF, Brendy, that's the crux - any banding (even 100+) would have been slightly fairer. As Schards pointed out - he bought a ticket for his daughter and she had 0 RPs.

Forget the fact that she is the daughter of a STH for the moment. The issue for some here is that it's a newbie with 0 points.

But as you say - it's not like we've sold out already.

But the ticket was purchased during the general sale period...and it's not as though there was a massive demand if the ticket was purchased within 10mins of the 'general sale' starting...and we still aren't sold out...so I don't see what all the fuss is about...

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 May 2011 12:48

Hoop Blah
Svlad Cjelli

At the potential cost of group of 3 or 4 who go to every game without season tickets but now have to sit elsewhere though.

:?: I don't know how fat Schards' daughter is but I'm pretty sure she won't need 3 or 4 seats

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 May 2011 12:51

Svlad Cjelli Perhaps the club has responded to all the regular criticism that ST holders don't get enough advantages compared to people who buy individual tickets for matches?

Perhaps that group of 3 or 4 who go to every game without season tickets will think more seriously about the benefits of buying one?

But at the end of teh day they'll still get a ticket, so it's not as though Schards's daughter (as an example) is stopping them from actually seeing the match.

Well I guess that's one way of looking at it!

It might not be the best way to keep your customers happy though.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 09 May 2011 12:52

Hoop Blah
Svlad Cjelli Perhaps the club has responded to all the regular criticism that ST holders don't get enough advantages compared to people who buy individual tickets for matches?

Perhaps that group of 3 or 4 who go to every game without season tickets will think more seriously about the benefits of buying one?

But at the end of teh day they'll still get a ticket, so it's not as though Schards's daughter (as an example) is stopping them from actually seeing the match.

It's a way of channelling them to become long-term customers, though, rather than just people who decide if they're customers on a day-by-day basis.

BTW, not saying it's right - and I don't doubt that if there'd been more time they'd have used points, like they have with the away tickets. Just playing Devil's Advcoate and trying to think the way the club would think.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 May 2011 13:07

By virtue of their points totals they're already long term and committed customers though Dirk, they just purchase in a way that might not be the clubs the ultimate goal.

I can only guess, but I'd assume that the chunk of fans I'm thinking of, roughly defined as those 15-20 games a season regulars, aren't season ticket holders for pretty valid reasons (ie they go to 15-20 games a season so it's not financially sensible to pay upfront for all games).

At the end of the day it comes down to rewarding the loyalty and using the points system they have in place. They don't want to do that which I personally find a bit of daft way of running things.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 09 May 2011 13:15

Yep - and I do think they would have done if they'd had a longer selling period. (If might also have eased the load on the on-line site to spread teh sales out a littele, too).

But for the past so many years there have been frequent threads on here saying that it's not worth buying a ST if you can't make all the games, and how the differences between benefits for STHs & non-STH have been eroded.

This is the club doing something to address that difference - and still that's wrong!

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 09 May 2011 13:15

Svlad Cjelli
Hoop Blah

It's a way of channelling them to become long-term customers, though, rather than just people who decide if they're customers on a day-by-day basis.

BTW, not saying it's right - and I don't doubt that if there'd been more time they'd have used points, like they have with the away tickets. Just playing Devil's Advcoate and trying to think the way the club would think.

I think the 'more time' argument is a bit false when no tickets need to be sent out, they are merely uploaded on to the member card.

It's a fairly minor point in this case as I don't think anyone's going to miss out on a ticket, but I think the explanation of why the ticket office didn't put a point limit on the second day sales is, simply, no one bothered to think of it, rather than any marketing strategy.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 09 May 2011 13:17

I find that hard to believe, considering that they did clearly think of it for away tickets, which went on sale at the same time.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 09 May 2011 13:21

Svlad Cjelli I find that hard to believe, considering that they did clearly think of it for away tickets, which went on sale at the same time.

I think you give the ticket office too much credit for their thought processes. I would imagine they realised that the away game might sell out, (hence the banding) but don't think the home one will so just went for season ticket holders first, then everyone else. Rather than thinking that a day of banding would help the regular non S/T's get the better seats over the less regulars.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 May 2011 13:33

That's the meat of it Schards, I really don't think the club have thought about this, certainly not to Dirks suggested extent anyway.

The number of seats available means the demand vs supply equation isn't really a massive problem so they just went for the easiest option of general sale without really thinking about the consequence (however minor) on the regular fan.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 09 May 2011 14:45

Hoop Blah That's the meat of it Schards, I really don't think the club have thought about this, certainly not to Dirks suggested extent anyway.

The number of seats available means the demand vs supply equation isn't really a massive problem so they just went for the easiest option of general sale without really thinking about the consequence (however minor) on the regular fan.

Have we sold out yet? No...so there isn't an issue, surely? :roll:

If the club had put separate banding in for the home tickets it would have meant that the sales would have been spread out, without needing to be as the demand is obviously not that great as there are still seats available...4 days to go before the match, there isn't the time for banding, if the club want the maximum revenue...The club is a business at the end of the day...Shops in the January sales don't hold back the best stock, they have it ready to go on the first day of the sale in order to maximise the profit...same principle here...

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 09 May 2011 15:18

Turns8 surprisingly missing the point ...same principle here...

Not when there is a priority system in place for selling tickets it's not, a priority system that is there to reward it's customers loyalty and spread the workload on the TO.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 09 May 2011 15:29

PieEater
Turns8 surprisingly missing the point ...same principle here...

Not when there is a priority system in place for selling tickets it's not, a priority system that is there to reward it's customers loyalty and spread the workload on the TO.

Haven't heard any horror stories of queues around the stadium though or the phonelines being constantly engaged for hours or not being able to purchase online etc...so I'd say the club seem to have got the whole ticketing spot on this time in terms of the demand not being that great etc...

Any 'loyal' fan wanting a ticket can still get one at this point in time...a full 6 and a half hours after they went on GENERAL SALE...where is the problem with that...if they had put a banding system in place then they would be limiting the number of tickets they could sell today..thus stopping people from purchasing etc...what we don't know are the number of fans in each bracket...if you class a 'loyal' fan as anyone with over say 1500points who isn't a STH then you may find that there are only 500 fans in this bracket for example...why would the club limit the sales today to 500, when they can open it up to general sale and potentially sell all of the remaining 10,000+ tickets!!!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 May 2011 15:39

You haven't read about the issues with log in to the system for ages or the lack of ability to buy the ticket you want because it only gives you the buy best option then?

As I said before, it's not so much about getting A ticket but THE ticket you want.

I just think it's a bit shoddy to not use the loyalty system to reward loyalty in any way for what will now be the biggest home game of the season.

Royal We
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal We » 09 May 2011 15:49

Even being a season ticket holder doesn't help. I went away for the weekend immediately after the Derby game and didn't get home until Sunday evening. By that time my normal seat had been allocated to some other b***ard!

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 09 May 2011 15:53

Royal We Even being a season ticket holder doesn't help. I went away for the weekend immediately after the Derby game and didn't get home until Sunday evening. By that time my normal seat had been allocated to some other b***ard!

So you went somewhere with no internet or phone!!! :roll:

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 09 May 2011 15:55

Royal We Even being a season ticket holder doesn't help. I went away for the weekend immediately after the Derby game and didn't get home until Sunday evening. By that time my normal seat had been allocated to some other b***ard!

I'm not sure what possible changes to the selling system would have helped you - unless they'd delayed release of ST seats for 24 hours.

Royal We
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal We » 09 May 2011 15:56

Turns8

So you went somewhere with no internet or phone!!! :roll:

Yes - but I'm not telling you where!

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 09 May 2011 15:57

Hoop Blah You haven't read about the issues with log in to the system for ages or the lack of ability to buy the ticket you want because it only gives you the buy best option then?

As I said before, it's not so much about getting A ticket but THE ticket you want.

I just think it's a bit shoddy to not use the loyalty system to reward loyalty in any way for what will now be the biggest home game of the season.

But there are still tickets available, so what is the issue!!!...the club sees current STH as it's most 'loyal' and they all had a window of 24hours to purchase a ticket...for THE ticket they wanted..

Why do some people have to make a massive drama out of everything and no matter what the club does it's never enough!!! :roll: