Back from the game - Donnie

108 posts
bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

Back from the game - Donnie

by bobbybottler » 17 Sep 2011 17:36

Best moment for me was the collective dropping of jaws around me when Church scored. Lots of cheering in the East obviously but up in the UW we were so moved that some people actually changed positions in their seats.

Otherwise....seen worse, 6/10, doesn't really feel like a corner has been turned but I felt OK at the end, and I wonder what changes he'll make for next time.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the game - Donnie

by Royal Lady » 17 Sep 2011 17:51

Can't deny I thought WTF at the inclusion of Church and the dropping of Karacan - but everyone played their part today - Joe Mills had a few lapses in second half - Gorkss was my MOTM for the second week running. I think he's better than Matt Mills in every respect and I really rated Mills. Kebe started off brightly and it was a shame about his injury. We have to remember this was "only" Doncaster though and we've got far, far tougher games ahead - but Church and ALF will be buoyed with confidence after scoring and the whole team should be proud of the way they played today. What happened with Feds at the end - he didn't appear to come over to the fans and Schards said he saw one of the coaching staff gesture to him to go and acknowledge the fans and he just pushed past him and went straight down the tunnel. :|

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Sep 2011 17:53

Even Church couldn't miss from that position! :D

Thought we might pay dearly after he missed those two excellent chances earlier in the game.

However, all credit to him for his absolutely fantastic work rate throughout the game today. My biggest criticism of him in the past has been that he has appeared lazy, has not closed players down or tried to chase apparent lost causes. He did both today to great effect. Also looked very pacey.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Sep 2011 17:56

Even Pearce ran around today. And BOOOOOO to the stupid woman behind me who knocks Jobi every time he has the ball. Idiot.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Sep 2011 18:01

Donny were very, very poor. We were better and deserved the win but for most of the afternoon I sat there thinking both teams are poor and will struggle this season...we'll struggle a little bit less.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 17 Sep 2011 18:06

Finerain - I take your point, they were very poor, but so were Watford and we made them look like Barcelona - so I was pleased that we actually beat someone that we should have beaten.

manny96

by manny96 » 17 Sep 2011 18:08

It was hardly a classic but we needed the result more than anything. Donny really offered very little at all - maybe one shot at the end that came off the outside of the post but I reckon Feds had it covered. Church did exactly what was asked of him - didn't stop running and chased every lost cause (even after he seemed to twist his knee in the wet in the first half) like Long used to. Pleased he got his goal - one miss in the first half was a poor finish, the other a class tackle by the defender.

Cummings was a cut above and will be without doubt first choice right back with a performance like that - utterly composed and confident and threatening going forward. Otherwise, the team showed that bit of fight that's been missing and will hopefully boost confidence. Agreed that Mills had a couple of shaky moments but it's a steep learning curve and he seems to be doing alright.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 17 Sep 2011 18:22

much more desire and passion from all the players today which was good to see.

Back 5 looked ok (would still drop pearce) and i think dropping karacan was not a bad decision although maybe someone other than tabb could work. I think if Alfie is going to start games soon then someone like howard could provide service he needs.

Cummings for me was MOM, can't believe how much better he looks compared to when he first joined

Hopefully something to build on going forward

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 17 Sep 2011 18:30

Royal Lady What happened with Feds at the end - he didn't appear to come over to the fans and Schards said he saw one of the coaching staff gesture to him to go and acknowledge the fans and he just pushed past him and went straight down the tunnel. :|

I noticed that too ... wonder what that was about.

My MOTM was Gorkss - agree with other poster that he's better than Mills. Otherwise Church and Cummings were very good. And Legs has a much better game than previously - back to his self again from last season.

fester_royal

by fester_royal » 17 Sep 2011 18:42

Compared to last week that was a completely different sqaud.. Some shaky moments still granted..and yes it was 'only doncaster'.. But much better. Church was a player reborn, chased and pressured donny into a number of mistakes which we lacked against Watford. He missed a few yer but performances like today should build.

Thought the back four, especially gorks, looked solid.. Threw themselves into everything today and looked desperate to keep a clean sheet. I think that should be it for Harte and griff now.. Good servants yea, full squad regulars..no

Let's just hope we don't cock it up now at cov

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 17 Sep 2011 18:45

Feds 6 - nowt to do really, but stayed focused
Mills 6 - peach of a ball for the goal, but couple of errors.
Gorkss 7 - won loads of headers, no nonsense. MOTM.
Pearce 5 - still not overly confident with him, and his distribution upsets me
Cummings 6 - made some good tackles, would've liked to have seen him get forward a bit more
McAnuff 7 - enthusiastic, ran well, much better.
Leigertwood 5 - still not playing well, had a bit of a crap game
Tabb 6 - quiet, but did the dirty work.
Kebe N/A - can't really give a rating, looked good before coming off, should've tested keeper better with header
Hunt 6 - needs to time his jumps better when going for headers, never really got into it
Church 8 - ran and ran, best game for a long while. fortunate goal, but he won't care.

Le Fondre - 8 superb header, forced the defence to make an error for our first. goal and a half assist? more of the same plz!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Sep 2011 18:46

Royalwaster
Royal Lady What happened with Feds at the end - he didn't appear to come over to the fans and Schards said he saw one of the coaching staff gesture to him to go and acknowledge the fans and he just pushed past him and went straight down the tunnel. :|

My MOTM was Gorkss - agree with other poster that he's better than Mills. Otherwise Church and Cummings were very good. And Legs has a much better game than previously - back to his self again from last season.

Seeing as all he ever gets is shit from you lot, are you suprised? He's made the scapegoat both on here and twitter every week.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 17 Sep 2011 18:56

Must admit I was probably the only person to be glad at the inclusion of Church. I thought he'd be bouyed up by the reserves win and up for a fight and he certainly looked like he was. He fought for everything and I really liked the way him and Le Fondre played together. In fact I would be happy if Brian picked them to start next week - heck, I'd be glad to see the same team next week. The one I felt worried about was Tabb given his performance at Charlton, but although he didn't quite look up to his absolute best he was his usual self - winning headers and fighting for the ball. And wasn't Gorks great? But I still think Church sneaks it for MOTM.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 17 Sep 2011 19:00

A much needed win but lets not go overboard, this is at home to the bottom side.

Having said that, it's something to build on. Defence looked a lot tighter and we created a good few chances unlike in recent weeks. It's amazing think that, once Kebe went off, we only had 3 outfield players who played in the play off final so, maybe, it's no surprising we are not quite gelling yet.

Worryingly, I think any hope of a top ten finish (assuming no sensational loan signing) rest with Church. I think he's the only forward who has the potential to take a quantum leap this season in the way that Long did last. Hunt is a known quantity, Manset is never going to be a big hitter in this division and Le Fondre (prob to early to judge) doesn't look to have an all round game outside the opposition penalty box and that's a luxury we can't afford.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 17 Sep 2011 19:01

Church was top class, didn't stop running all game and really showed he wants a place in the team. Brilliant finish too :wink:

Great finish from Alfie too. Gorkss looked superb throughout as did Cummings.

Everyone out there today seemed determined to get the three points, which I think was shown when we made 3 blocks in quick succession even though we were 2-0 up, would have been easy not to have bothered closing down.

"In the jungle the mighty jungle the lion sleeps tonight" :lol:

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 17 Sep 2011 19:02

Royalwaster

Feds was fine, he had already clapped the East stand and shaken everyones hand.

Remember, all goal keepers are mad!

The performance was................well, better, but hardly top 3, still a win is a win.

Cummings and Mills really did make my day, so nice to see some full backs making forays up front, great work from them both for the second goal.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Sep 2011 19:16

Brlliant, well done today lads. Been off work ill for three days thoroughly bored but that's brightened me up no end and made the weekend for me. Fantastic, get the team spirit going and anything is possible. :D

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 17 Sep 2011 19:20

Church.That goal cost me a pint.Well done. :wink:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Sep 2011 19:28

A lot better and let's call that progress. Points of note.

One of Church's best games in a Reading shirt minus his finishing. Hunger to do well was there.
Impressed with Mills certainly going forward, good pace on getting back, sloppy on the short pass and needs work on.
Gorks a great purchase and will improve.
Pleased Tabb started, busy but pretty ineffective but again will improve.
Kebe was back to his best before the injury. Shame he had to go off.
Cummings, great game and now his shirt to lose.
Pearce improved but still a worry with his lack of pace. Put a good block in.

Towards the end i thought we were over run and if they picked out a better ball to the two outside the full backs then there were goals for them towards the end.

Job done, three points and on to Coventry.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 17 Sep 2011 19:38

paultheroyal Impressed with Mills certainly going forward, good pace on getting back, sloppy on the short pass and needs work on.

This ^. There was one incident when the ball was played over the top to their winger (Barnes?) but Mills easily kept up with him and made sure nothing came of it. If Harte was there then he probably would have been clear through.

108 posts