Back From The Game - Coventry Away

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Back From The Game - Coventry Away

by Ian Royal » 25 Sep 2011 21:36

Just watched the highlights.

Positive:
Good finish by Church and looking like a good partnership with Le Fondre, that should see us playing a much better brand of football.

Negative:
Federici beaten at his near post, yes it was a freakishly placed and powerful shot, but all he had to do was be in the right place and get a hand to it. Just a sign that he really isn't that good.
Hunt, woeful penalty, made it about as obvious as possible where he was going to shoot.

Just on the highlights looked like a draw was a fair result. We really needed to pick up points in an easy opening run of games and we haven't done. Still there's a fair amount of potential in that team. HRK for Hunt so we can play a proper winger. Howard in for Legs so we've got someone in midfield who can pass and isn't in atrocious form.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 25 Sep 2011 23:17

handbags_harris I've seen the Coventry goal now, and quite frankly any 'keeper should be embarrassed to concede from that angle inside the near post. It can be considered nothing except absolute p*ss-poor goalkeeping.

Spot on!

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 25 Sep 2011 23:56

]
handbags_harris I've seen the Coventry goal now, and quite frankly any 'keeper should be embarrassed to concede from that angle inside the near post. It can be considered nothing except absolute p*ss-poor goalkeeping.

ISort of agree, although he did blast it - I thought Fed's just didn't get the chance to react quick enough. Hell of a tight angle.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 26 Sep 2011 00:14

I've watched it in slowmo and I don't think Feds could have done too much about it. He tried hard but the pace of the ball beat him.
It was a brilliant shot right in the near post top corner that carried on rising into the roof of the net at speed. OK he got beat at the near post... but that was an almightily acurate shot to get beaten by.
I can't really faulter Feds positioning either.
Give McSheffrey a clap and move on.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Sep 2011 00:21

Maybe I'm over critical of Federici, but with most of the goals this season, I haven't been thinking he had no chance, I've largely felt slightly dissatisfied with his performance on them without there being any really obvious mistakes... apart from against Millwall.

He just strikes me as suspect.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 26 Sep 2011 00:39

That's a mighty tight angle right into the near top corner.
He flapped but got beat
Excuse the blur

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 Sep 2011 08:07

Royal With Cheese ]

ISort of agree, although he did blast it - I thought Fed's just didn't get the chance to react quick enough. Hell of a tight angle.

Likewise. And although I know the GK Union is very strong and united, other keepers and goalkeeper coaches I have spoken to, also say there was little he could do given the power, pace and rising nature of the shot. It was a great finish and I doubt anyone could have reacted quickly enough to save it. Furthermore, had Feds tried to anticipate a shot of that nature, he would have been rightly criticised had the shot been hit across him, as in most cases it would have been.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 26 Sep 2011 09:53

Should also be added that (with the possible exception of Cummings) Federici was the only one on the top of his game from the goal onwards.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 26 Sep 2011 09:55

I would agree that normally the keeper should not be beaten at his near post. But this is because its freakishly difficult to kick it right in the corner from a tight angle, so normally the keeper has a chance.

However on the occasions where this is done it is impossible to save. Watch the replay, Federici has it covered, sees it, reacts early, jumps and doesn't get it. A fraction left, right, up or down and its a miss or a save, class finish and nothing to be done.

Another good example below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf-od48IfkI

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Sep 2011 10:41

Z175 I would agree that normally the keeper should not be beaten at his near post. But this is because its freakishly difficult to kick it right in the corner from a tight angle, so normally the keeper has a chance.

However on the occasions where this is done it is impossible to save. Watch the replay, Federici has it covered, sees it, reacts early, jumps and doesn't get it. A fraction left, right, up or down and its a miss or a save, class finish and nothing to be done.

Batigol - one of my all time favourites...terrific stuff

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 26 Sep 2011 11:13

Z175 I would agree that normally the keeper should not be beaten at his near post. But this is because its freakishly difficult to kick it right in the corner from a tight angle, so normally the keeper has a chance.

That went straight over Spunky into the far corner. How can that be a good example of what happened on Saturday?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 26 Sep 2011 12:06

Z175 Another good example below.

Nothing like it! Seamen drops too early and the ball goes right over him. Should've stood up to it.

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 26 Sep 2011 12:21

Whilst I suspect no keeper is ever happy when they concede, Fed's own reactions after the ball went in suggested he felt he could and should have done better.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Sep 2011 13:35

BenReadingFC

I've watched it in slowmo and I don't think Feds could have done too much about it. He tried hard but the pace of the ball beat him.
It was a brilliant shot right in the near post top corner that carried on rising into the roof of the net at speed. OK he got beat at the near post... but that was an almightily acurate shot to get beaten by.
I can't really faulter Feds positioning either.
Give McSheffrey a clap and move on.

I am not a Feds fan and don't think he should have regained his place last season, but I agree
That was a superb shot and timed to perfection. In fact McSheffrey deserves a clap for his whole performance, which showed him to be head and shoulders better than anyone else on view. He almost livened up a typical drab Royals v Cov game

Percy's Rocket

by Percy's Rocket » 26 Sep 2011 21:46

McSheffery could hit that shot that hard 100 times and it would be 30% row Z 20 % rows A to E 30 % side netting 19% saved and 1% the tiny gap he found.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 26 Sep 2011 21:55

Just watched http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15054276.stm . Federici hardly covers himself in glory with the Cov goal, but witness - AGAIN - how flat-footed Pearce is in lolloping behind McSheffrey meaning that no pressure is put on the man having a pop on goal. Fed also threatens to cost us another goal around the 50 second mark of that clip, managing to palm another shot from a tight angle back into the middle of the 18 yard box, only for Cov to blast over :| - as usual he makes the straight-forward look difficult. Reading's goal calmly finished by Church.....yes, Church :shock: . Gorkss beaten all ends up for the pen.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Sep 2011 22:47

floyd__streete Just watched http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15054276.stm . Federici hardly covers himself in glory with the Cov goal, but witness - AGAIN - how flat-footed Pearce is in lolloping behind McSheffrey meaning that no pressure is put on the man having a pop on goal. Fed also threatens to cost us another goal around the 50 second mark of that clip, managing to palm another shot from a tight angle back into the middle of the 18 yard box, only for Cov to blast over :| - as usual he makes the straight-forward look difficult. Reading's goal calmly finished by Church.....yes, Church :shock: . Gorkss beaten all ends up for the pen.

Harsh on Pearce, he makes the angle narrow and puts pressure on the shooter, it literally has to be perfectly placed and powered to go in.

I was far more concerned about how lacklustre Legs attempt to block off the through ball was. Pearce can't do anything about his pace.

Agree on Feds for that palm. Hold it or stick it wide, don't palm it straight to a nice shooting angle.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 26 Sep 2011 23:35

A keeper positions himself to NOT get beat at the near post, plain and simple.

I actually think if Federici doesn't crouch so low he would save that anyway. No need to be that low to spring yourself up!

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 27 Sep 2011 12:13

Good for Church to get the goal, but he seemed to need an age to get the ball under control and place his shot. There's not many defences that will give him that much time.

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 27 Sep 2011 12:53

Church is now halfway towards last season's total. In two games!