SJM staying on as chairman

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

SJM staying on as chairman

by Royal Lady » 16 Oct 2013 19:00

For another two years - AZ still trying to get the money together??

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: SJM staying on as chairman

by Norfolk Royal » 16 Oct 2013 19:02

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Oct 2013 19:04

Hmm - like I suggested, maybe AZ is having to find the money from somewhere....

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 16 Oct 2013 19:05

Chairman =/= co-owner.

Sir John is a fantastic ambassador for the club and is a major reason why we are where we are now. That's why AZ is so keen on keeping him on as chairman. Keeps the 'Reading way' going while also looking to expand (see new training ground).

What this shows is that there is clearly no animosity behind the scenes between the two, and there is no imminent meltdown on the horizon.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Oct 2013 19:07

OR it could show that SJM ain't going nowhere until he gets the rest of the dosh....and why should he!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 16 Oct 2013 19:12

Royal Lady OR it could show that SJM ain't going nowhere until he gets the rest of the dosh....and why should he!

He's only staying on as chairman because he was asked to by AZ though

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 16 Oct 2013 19:16

Royal Lady For another two years - AZ still trying to get the money together??

Cool story she-bro.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 16 Oct 2013 19:18

Other than adding more questions about AZ's lack of money, I'm not sure what to make of this. Rumours of the two having conflicting opinions on how to take the club forward and all not being well behind the scenes, yet then AZ 'decides' to offer him the opportunity to remain as chairman for two more years, it just doesn't feel right; especially with the take-over missing its deadline and now SJM having no idea when it will take place. If anything, it just raises more doubts about Anton's lack of money, and SJM doing best by RFC by ensuring he remains chairman and maintains some level of control over the clubs future, rather than him being asked to do stay on. Weren't we told SJM would no longer be chairman at this stage and then be offered a club presidency role - well that changed. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Having SJM around for the long-term is a good thing, but the uncertainty of TSI/AZ remains and that as far as I'm concerned isn't a good thing. Missing a deadline is one thing, but to not be able to provide an approximate date to complete the takeover is another! It's only natural for the supporters to ask if the guy actually has the money behind him or not, and it would seem not.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 16 Oct 2013 19:21

You could read a lot, little, or nothing into this, depending on pre-conceived notions.

The most you could read into it sensibly is that AZ has had to stand back for a couple of years for some reason, maybe for the reasons SJM has alluded to, it sounds plausible. AZ is a young man after all, he has got plenty of time to get further involved in Reading FC in the future. He owns more than half the club don't forget. He has just had a kid and no doubt has bigger fish to fry in a business sense which may be taking up his time.

if your glass is half full you will say that AZ clearly hasn't got the money to complete the deal, is reneging, is looking to sell his share, maybe he is pulling out, etc, etc, and so it goes on.

I actually think that if SJM had any real concern he would at least make some sort of coded statement or if, as he says, he has the best interests of Reading FC at heart, would go into battle and take the media offensive to AZ, implying that there is some renegotiation required or that TSI are reneging in some way. He is not doing that.

The actual situation is that since TSI have taken over we have shown, without marquee signings unless you count Drenthe, that the finance is there to compete at the top end of the championship and the bottom half of the premiership.

There doesn't appear to be any immediate reason to believe that situation will change substantially.

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 16 Oct 2013 19:25

Christ you mongtards have to turn every bit of media information into a negative spin.
Get a grip you depressing bunch of jizz monkeys.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 16 Oct 2013 19:26

Why announce this now?
Surely it would normally be the case that it would have been announced at the end of the season and why specifically 2 years?
At the Mad Man's age now 2 years is a very long time and to commit himself to a project that he appeared to want to cash-in on last year to pursue other things makes me think that all is definitely not right at our club.

BTW all the talk of the owner's baby and needing to spend time in Russia ,is he now a house parent and that skint that his missus has rushed back to work?
As Floyd said to Winchester the other week real life is not just one lovely-jubbly fairy tale that always must have a happy ending so that you can fall asleep cuddling your Teddy.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 16 Oct 2013 19:30

One8Seven1

Other than adding more questions about AZ's lack of money, I'm not sure what to make of this. Rumours of the two having conflicting opinions on how to take the club forward and all not being well behind the scenes, yet then AZ 'decides' to offer him the opportunity to remain as chairman for two more years, it just doesn't feel right; especially with the take-over missing its deadline and now SJM having no idea when it will take place. If anything, it just raises more doubts about Anton's lack of money, and SJM doing best by RFC by ensuring he remains chairman and maintains some level of control over the clubs future, rather than him being asked to do stay on. Weren't we told SJM would no longer be chairman at this stage and then be offered a club presidency role - well that changed. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Having SJM around for the long-term is a good thing, but the uncertainty of TSI/AZ remains and that as far as I'm concerned isn't a good thing. Missing a deadline is one thing, but to not be able to provide an approximate date to complete the takeover is another! It's only natural for the supporters to ask if the guy actually has the money behind him or not, and it would seem not.

So you're basing all this on random internet rumours and are choosing to avoid Sir John's pretty clear comments that all is fine? A deal will get worked out eventually, but why would he put another deadline on the deal given how you lot all reacted when the last one was missed? There's no rush, the club is run as a business. They're not reliant on AZ pumping millions into the club every month, the plan has always been to let the club run itself financially and that's what it is doing. The 'uncertainty' isn't putting brakes on investment in infrastructure or wages so what's the rush? It really isn't as big a deal as some are making it out to be.

The big worry would be over accusations of fraud/money laundering etc but the fact that Sir John is willing to stay on as chairman stamps them down completely.

Just chill and support the team. The club aren't making a big song and dance about this because it is not an issue.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 16 Oct 2013 19:30

Victor Meldrew At the Mad Man's age now 2 years is a very long time and to commit himself to a project that he appeared to want to cash-in on last year to pursue other things makes me think that all is definitely not right at our club.

Please explain this logic to me :lol:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Oct 2013 19:38

Royal Monk Christ you mongtards have to turn every bit of media information into a negative spin.
Get a grip you depressing bunch of jizz monkeys.

Fcuk off. People are concerned for the club they support, some of them have seen Reading Football Club put in danger before and don't want to see the club in trouble again nothing wrong with asking questions whether you like it or not.
Last edited by sandman on 16 Oct 2013 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Oct 2013 19:40

Not sure SJM wanted to cash in to pursue other projects. He wanted someone to take over the financial burden and he wanted to step back from day to day involvement. He's got someone at least sharing the financial burden and he's got no need to get back into a hands on role as we have new people on the board making it much more of a team effort than previously.

I have no idea of the ins and outs and haven't read HNA for ages so hadn't even realised there was a conspiracy theory going the rounds !

I suspect there will be a team on the pitch on Saturday , and the Saturday after and I'm not much more concerned than that. Of course it would be a huge shame if the club fell apart but it doesn't look like that is happening and even if it is there is nothing I can do about it....

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 16 Oct 2013 19:45

- TSI take majority share, announce remaining shares will be purchased later (Sept 13)
- SJM to remain chairman until buyout completed, then offered club president role
- TSI miss takeover deadline
- SJM offered 2 year extra stay as chairman
- Talk of life presidency a distant memory
- Meltdown insues

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Oct 2013 19:57

To whoever was saying SJM would tell the media more about AZ if there was something remiss - you do realise he is dealing with Russians here right? You don't diss a Russian and get a pat on the back from them. :roll:

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 16 Oct 2013 20:06

Royal Lady To whoever was saying SJM would tell the media more about AZ if there was something remiss - you do realise he is dealing with Russians here right? You don't diss a Russian and get a pat on the back from them. :roll:

So SJM isn't telling the truth because somebody is going to stick a poison tipped umbrella up his arse. Good thinking.

You still think Maddie is under the roadworks presumably, although, tbf, you could be right about that.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 16 Oct 2013 20:08

Royal Lady To whoever was saying SJM would tell the media more about AZ if there was something remiss - you do realise he is dealing with Russians here right? You don't diss a Russian and get a pat on the back from them. :roll:

Oh dear god.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 16 Oct 2013 20:16

winchester_royal
Victor Meldrew At the Mad Man's age now 2 years is a very long time and to commit himself to a project that he appeared to want to cash-in on last year to pursue other things makes me think that all is definitely not right at our club.

Please explain this logic to me :lol:

Writing as somebody fairly near to JM's age I saw it that after 20 years of involvement in a sport that he is not greatly interested in (by his own admission) he thought his role had reached an end.
He had done his significant bit in saving the club, helped it achieve a more lofty status than any of us might have dreamed of, gained a knighthood and it was now time (last year) to cash-in on the loans that he had made to protect his investment and who could blame him for sailing off into the sunset and sit peacefully looking at the cars he loves so much?-to do that it made sense to continue for just 18 months to ensure some stability at the club but no longer have the ultimate responsibility.

Sadly for him it looks as though the man with deep pockets hasn''t got deep pockets so JM ,still very keen to get the rest of the money,feels that he must remain (Sir) Johnny-on-the-spot and not be at arm's length to do what he can to get his dough.
He is an old bloke and I feel sure that there are other things that he would like to do while he can and having had a taste of retirement from the responsibilities of club ownership the last thing he might want is to carry on the chairmanship for a further 2 years with his co-owner having such little impact on the running of the business.