Probably just those in the East stand with the sun in their eyes

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Hooliganism at Reading

by bobby1413 » 28 Mar 2014 16:37

Royal Biscuitman
Among the claims made in the piece were that Reading fans made Nazi salutes

Haha yea, probably right. Oddest thing to say in terms... I've never seen anyone "in real life" do a Nazi salute, let alone Reading fans

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 28 Mar 2014 16:43

bobby1413
Royal Biscuitman
Among the claims made in the piece were that Reading fans made Nazi salutes

Haha yea, probably right. Oddest thing to say in terms... I've never seen anyone "in real life" do a Nazi salute, let alone Reading fans

Nah, the article itself referred to away fans making Nazi salutes in the Madejski Stadium.
The front page implied it was Reading fans, what with the phrase "Nazi Salutes" written right next to a giant picture of a Reading 'hooligan'.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Mar 2014 17:05

Green
soggy biscuit Anyone know if Gutteridge is looking for a new career yet?

Nope, he's still publishing articles
http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/author/ngutteridge/

What's it now?

'Reading OAPS responsible for orchestrated crime wave in Reading Town Centre'

. Armed robberies
. Muggings
. Theft of vehicles
. Benefit Fraud
. Coffin Dodging

Read more on our centre pages.........

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 30 Mar 2014 13:00

leon
No Fixed Abode Does anyone remember the trouble after a Reading defeat at The Manor Ground? (probably one of RFCs last games there) Reading lads storming up the road where the crown green bowling club is, to be greeted by riot police on horses who came wading in........the pub at the top of the road, all the windows were smashed in.....

yeah. Happy days, Kes, happy days.

Anyway enough reminiscing about football in the last century.

I think that was Bullivant's last game in 98.
I remember standing in someone's garden to avoid the horse charge, only to get punched in the throat by some moron. Sneaky barsteward came from behind me, otherwise he might have realised he was attacking a(nother) Reading fan.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 31 Mar 2014 09:47

wally bassoon
No Fixed Abode Does anyone remember the trouble after a Reading defeat at The Manor Ground? (probably one of RFCs last games there) Reading lads storming up the road where the crown green bowling club is, to be greeted by riot police on horses who came wading in........the pub at the top of the road, all the windows were smashed in.....

After the 3-1 Victory?

I think there carnage was worse after the 2-0 defeat there, but yes Happy Days.

Which one was it where Barry Hunter delibretly took out the CCTV camera in the away end?

I think that was the 3-1 as well. Along with "Are you really worse than him?" as the replacement keeper came on at half time in front of us.

Quality night!

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 31 Mar 2014 10:33

Green
soggy biscuit Anyone know if Gutteridge is looking for a new career yet?

Nope, he's still publishing articles
http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/author/ngutteridge/
Still exaggerating the truth, referring to a new mini town as a garfen city to the South of Reading. I imagine the printed version has a front cover photo of the some dystopian future city alongside with shocking headlines such as "Cows and Sheep to be slaughtered to make way for homes", "Nazi Farmers to be executed" etc.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 04 Apr 2014 16:09

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Apr 2014 17:41

Hope this is true. No one else will want to touch him with a bargepole now, hopefully. UnLOLucky Maurice. :x :twisted: :evil:

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 04 Apr 2014 18:16

Only you could take such delight in seeing someone lose their livelihood a year before retirement age and go on to hope he doesn't get another job.

You poisonous old bat

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Apr 2014 18:23

Maguire Only you could take such delight in seeing someone lose their livelihood a year before retirement age and go on to hope he doesn't get another job.

You poisonous old bat

I don't normally defend RL, but I can't help but think the guy has brought it on himself by firstly running the article, being smug about doing so and then being unrepentant and refusing to offer any sort of genuine apology.

It's his job to know better and do better. So I say right on RL.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Apr 2014 18:41

Ta Ian. Not sure why Mags would wish to defend his actions, or sl8 me cos I'm glad he's gone. As you say, he brought it all on himself. I don't wish misfortune on anyone normally, but in this case I'll make an exception, more for his smug refusal to apologise than anything else.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 04 Apr 2014 18:51

It was a shit article but the Hillsborough reference was a throwaway and not the focus of it.

Don't see why you'd wish eternal unemployment on the guy, just seems malicious to me.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 04 Apr 2014 18:54

Maguire Only you could take such delight in seeing someone lose their livelihood a year before retirement age and go on to hope he doesn't get another job.

You poisonous old bat

If he is that experienced then perhaps he might have thought twice about such a ridiculous article. Bought it 100% upon himself and at his age he should have known better.

And stiil I don't see an apology to Reading fans.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 04 Apr 2014 19:04

Rubbish article thought it was, all those things did happen.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 04 Apr 2014 19:06

Maguire It was a shit article but the Hillsborough reference was a throwaway and not the focus of it.

Don't see why you'd wish eternal unemployment on the guy, just seems malicious to me.

If you're that bothered why not offer him a room? Maybe he can even cut your lawn for pocket money

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Apr 2014 20:11

You poisonous old bat

Probably not a bad result for him. I doubt it would have been classified as gross misconduct so at the very least he will be getting his notice paid off. Given the time he has been there, that would probably be at least 12 weeks. Might well have opted for a severance agreement too, in order to avoid any potential and embarrassing litigation (he would have had little to lose by pursuing that course of action).

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 05 Apr 2014 12:52

Maguire It was a shit article but the Hillsborough reference was a throwaway and not the focus of it.

He was complicit in allowing the non-Reading FC supporting public think that we're all a bunch of hooligans. He knew it wasn't true. He made some half-hearted attempt at an apology re the Hillsborough comments but couldn't be bothered to add that he apologised to our club and fans also. Had he done that, it would all have been forgotten about and joked about. Clearly, his superiors felt his position was untenable and got rid of him. Which, as I said, serves him right. I don't see there's anything wrong in stating that fact. Is he your dad or something? And if he only had a year until retirement, it's not eternal unemployment - he may not get a job for a year, but his pay-off and any private pension will probably cover that. :roll:

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 07 Apr 2014 11:58

A journalist who writes a misleading article which leads to his editor getting the sack isn't the type of journalise most editors would want to employ. Having said that, an Editor doing his job right decides what goes to print and can request changes or omissions.... he can sleep on the job if it's a story about a cat stuck up a tree as nobody cares if they get the name of the cat wrong, but not something like this, particularly when adding a fictional photo and shock headlines means he has failed his shareholders.

The owners had to sack him to disassociate their selves from the article

IMHO It was the throwaway Hillsborough reference which cost him his job not anything to do with Reading FC.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 07 Apr 2014 12:09

https://twitter.com/nick_gutteridge

Not a trace. Nice work from Winston Wolfe

455 posts