The Non - League thread

10440 posts
Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Non - League thread 2013/14

by Terminal Boardom » 25 Jul 2014 10:16

Royal Rother The announcer is the Chairman so one would bloody well hope he was correct.

I have my doubts though.

If the shirts are not there on 2nd August, I will demand my money back. Simple as.

As for the EBFL and Huntercombe FC debacle, I would not be so keen to laud the praises of a club website. We all know how poor clubs are at keeping them up to date.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Jul 2014 14:18

:shock: Lauding the praises? Not at all.

I was completely unaware of any "association" of any kind between Windsor and Huntercombe. You mentioned the players had gone back to Huntercombe, but I didn't even know that was from whence they had come.

So I looked up Huntercombe's website and saw the Senior Team details are down as Windsor FC which seemed odd but made it appear (to this unknowing observer) that Windsor and Huntercombe were, to all intents and purposes, one and the same now.

Oh well, if there's a backstory here I guess all will be revealed in due course.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Jul 2014 08:49

Royalist

by Royalist » 27 Jul 2014 14:47

Just seen Maidenhead played FC United of Manchester. Guessing thats so the anti glazer thames valley Gloryhunters can watch their protest side?! Some trip for a friendly! Think the longest i've traveled for a pre-season game was brockenhurst a few years ago but thats a nice little village on a sunny day type trip and the game was secondary.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Non - League thread 2014/15

by Four Of Clubs » 27 Jul 2014 19:46

... bit of a struggle but I got Saturday's scores for most of those I'd put on the list:-

AFC Aldermaston 1-4 Andover New Street
Alton Town 2-1 Fleet Spurs
Bedfont & Feltham 1-3 Bracknell Town
Bedfont Sports 0-4 AFC Hayes
Brockenhurst 3-3 Binfield
Chalfont St. Peter 5-1 Chipstead
Chalgrove Cavaliers 1-2 Henley Town
Chessington & Hook v Reading Town – no result on either club site yet!
Chippenham Town 1-0 Oxford City
Corinthian Casuals 4-2 Loxwood
Cove 2-2 Egham Town
… was as this one – youngest chose from a short list - on the promise of good food – gave the Burgers 8/10 – nice bar as always but an uncomfortably sweltering day for players and the sparse crowd.
‘Sarnies’ got out of jail somewhat, as Cove changed keepers at half-time and the replacement one had only a few things to do but disastrously did two of them appallingly in the space of a couple of minutes to gift Egham a 2-1 lead. I think ex-RTFC Michael Buck was back at CB for Cove and didn’t exactly shine either – was partially at fault with one of the goals. Cove looked very decent going forward and their first half-keeper looked very good indeed – this is an area they have been found wanting badly in recent seasons, certainly whenever I’ve watched them. Still cannot comprehend how the &^%$ they clawed their way up to finish as high as 5th after the start they had to 13-14 – particularly at home.

Dunstable T 3-3 Marlow FC – (Frimley G pulled out at short notice - so Marlow took a quick trip up to last years champions and acquitted themselves quite well according to the home sites reports)
Fairford Town 0-4 Chippenham Park
Flackwell Heath v Windsor – no result on either club site yet! Presume it took place but being as it was at an odd venue don't s'pose many went?
UPDATE - if you can believe the Twitter feed on WFC's home page, Flackwell went 2-0 up 28 mins ago :shock: - maybe something amiss there?

Fleet Town 3-3 Hanwell Town
Godalming Town 0-2 Sholing
Guernsey 1-0 Wokingham & Emmbrook - was a close game by some accounts I've read - not sure if it was GFC 1sts though; think they were playing someone else before the Sumas. - actually just looked it up and GFC fielded two teams; one in each half - as opposed to at the same time :wink:
Hanworth Villa 0-2 Arlesey Town - though according to the HV site they were up against ARSLEY ! :D
Hungerford Town 0-2 Hemel Hempstead Town
Huntercombe FC 2-4 Marlow United
Knaphill 0-3 East Preston – hope no-one tried to go for this – game was moved to Bisley FC and switched to a 16:00h KO – was a reserve game of sorts first presumably.
- traditionally Westfield (Surrey) play Westfield (Sussex) in somewhat of an oddly contrived friendly and they have two or three pitches at Lyon Park - as well as a big BBQ.

Maidenhead United 0-3 FC United of Manchester
Milton United 1-3 Wantage Town
Shrivenham 3-0 Purton
Staines Town 0-1 Aldershot Town
Swindon Supermarine 2-2 Basingstoke Town
Tadley Calleva 1-6 Winchester City
Thame United 0-1 Didcot Town
Tring Athletic 2-2 Northampton Spencer
Uxbridge 2-0 Hendon
Walton Casuals 3-1 Burnham
Westfield 1-0 South Park

... good selection of friendlies upcoming this MW particularly on Tuesday evening - will knock a list together in the next day or so

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Jul 2014 22:10

Windsor lost 2-0 to 2 1st half OGs by the same player!

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 31 Jul 2014 16:42

Conference club Aldershot Town have formally exited administration, two years ahead of the scheduled date.

The Shots have disbursed funds to settle all creditors and completed their Company Voluntary Agreement.

"The board took the decision to clear the old club's debts at the earliest opportunity, believing it was the right thing to do for our creditors," a club statement said.

"This brings to a close what has been a challenging administration process."

The Hampshire club entered administration in May 2013, with debts of £1.4m.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 Jul 2014 21:20

Good to see that!

Nice to see some local competition surviving in preparation of where we are "apparently heading"

also

Reading Town under new ownership...big plans afoot...real ale, s$y tv etc....all for the price of a £60 ST

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 01 Aug 2014 11:46

That £60.00 will attract a good few I think....And I bet any "new" fans will thoroughly enjoy the experience and realise there is life outside of the Sky model.

Royalist

by Royalist » 01 Aug 2014 13:49

Thing is i doubt any new fans will sign up for a Season ticket just like that? Good offer but surely would only be taken up by people who already go enough to justify it?

Windsor manager already talking down this seasons chances. Fine by me. The club is in no shape to go up.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Aug 2014 14:50

What's wrong with the shape at the moment Royalist?

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 01 Aug 2014 15:16

... can someone please change the thread title now?

... the season starts in anger this w/e - indeed there are three matches tonight (Friday 1st) in our 'locally' featured leagues
CCL1
Dorking v Epsom Athletic @ at Horley FC - between Redhill and Gatwick - expecting a large crowd for this - some surprise that there weren't two Premier sides that opted for the Friday night opener - reportedly only Colliers Wood expressed interest?
WESSP
Fawley v Lymington
Verwood v Christchurch

Saturday 2nd August

Combined Counties League Premier
Ashford Town (Middx) v Cove
Badshot Lea v Bedfont Sports
Farnham Town v Epsom & Ewell
Hanworth Villa v Guildford City
Hartley Wintney v Colliers Wood United
Horley Town v Frimley Green
Knaphill v Camberley Town
Mole Valley SCR v Westfield
Raynes Park Vale v Chertsey Town
Windsor v Spelthorne Sports
Combined Counties League Division One
Alton Town v Worcester Park
Banstead Athletic v Cobham
Bedfont & Feltham v Sheerwater
Chessington & Hook United v AFC Croydon Athletic
Eversley & California v CB Hounslow United
Farleigh Rovers v Ash United
Sandhurst Town v Staines Lammas

WESSEX Premier
Bemerton Heath Harlequins v Petersfield Town
Blackfield & Langley v Andover Town
Fareham Town v Whitchurch United
Winchester City v Bournemouth

Aldershot v AFC Wimbledon
Ardley United v North Leigh
14:00 Basingstoke Town v Woking
Binfield FC v Beaconfield SYCOB
Burnham v Maidenhead United
Chalfont Wasps v Amersham Town
Didcot Town v Hungerford Town
Ealing Town v Edgware Town – match up between 2 'new' teams to the South Mids this season – Edgware Town (only vaguely associated with their forebears but not exactly a Phoenix club) entered straight in at STEP06 SSM1 – and will be playing home matches at Silver Jubilee Park (Kingsbury)
Ealing Town, the result of a club merger from the Middx County Leagues, have rather more conservatively entered at SSML2 (STEP07). They will play their home matches at Avenue Park – former home of long defunct Viking Greenford – sharing the ground currently used by London Tigers – who were formerly known as – yup you guessed it – Kingsbury FC – who played at Silver Jubilee Park ……… and so on and so on …. :? :? :? :?

Flackwell Heath v Marlow
Fleet Town v Hampton & Richmond
Godalming Town v Horsham
Hayes & Yeading United v St. Neots @ Maidenhead United FC
Henley Town v Tadley Calleva
Highworth Town v Swindon Supermarine
Leatherhead v Slough Town
Malmesbury Vics v Corsham Town
Marlborough Town v Wootton Bassett Town
Milton United v Dorchester
Purton v Wantage Town
Reading Town v FC Romania (Essex League) Civil Serv Club @ Burghfield
Sandhurst FC v Linby CW 3pm
Thame Utd v Aylesbury Utd
Uxbridge v Hayes & Yeading United
14:00 Woodcote / Stoke Row v Wokingham & Emmbrook

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Aug 2014 15:39

I've just moved to Dulwich... so what do I need to know about Dulwich Hamlet?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 01 Aug 2014 16:45

AthleticoSpizz Good to see that!

Nice to see some local competition surviving in preparation of where we are "apparently heading"

also

Reading Town under new ownership...big plans afoot...real ale, s$y tv etc....all for the price of a £60 ST

Not sure what good it will do them. To show Sky in a social club costs in the region of £700 per month. They will need to sell 140 season ticket sales just to cover that. Whereas I applaud the sale of real ale, how much wastage will there be owing to the short life span even of a small barrel.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 01 Aug 2014 16:49

maffff I've just moved to Dulwich... so what do I need to know about Dulwich Hamlet?

used to have one of the biggest non league grounds in the country and also one of the best histories as well. I went there once many years ago before Sainsbury's took an interest. Take a look at this http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.co.uk/2008/06/dulwich-hamlet-fc-champion-hill-stadium.html.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 01 Aug 2014 17:47

maffff I've just moved to Dulwich... so what do I need to know about Dulwich Hamlet?

...well there's plenty on here ...

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/dulwichhamlet/

...soon to become :

http://www.dulwichhamletfc.co.uk/

...oh and they play landlord to this 'larey' mob from Bermondsey - who've fallen down considerably from the not too long ago heights, of playing as high as the Football Conference in the late 80s. They got back into the Conference South in the mid 'noughties'. Lost a Play off in 06/07 and that seemed to herald their current plummet down to STEP05 where they play in the Southern Counties East (formerly Kent) League.

http://fisherfc.co.uk/

... choose wisely! :?

Can't say I've been to Champion Hill yet - bit too far inside the M25 for my usual jaunts - but they are (both) on my list to do - separately should Fisher ever return to their original home at the Surrey Docks Stadium in Rotherhithe.

Plenty of other pleasantly aspected NL clubs in the surrounding area too - mostly of the leafy suburban variety - I've done a few from the simple 'ground and clubhouse' type (Warlingham/Farleigh)- to the quite go-ahead (Whyteleafe/Chipstead) up as far as the very ambitious (Dartford) - just as long as you try and stay south of Croydon. :|

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 01 Aug 2014 22:52

Terminal Boardom

used to have one of the biggest non league grounds in the country and also one of the best histories as well. I went there once many years ago before Sainsbury's took an interest. Take a look at this http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.co.uk/2008/06/dulwich-hamlet-fc-champion-hill-stadium.html.

Saw a Reading XI play a pre-season friendly there around 96. Lovely little ground.

Royalist

by Royalist » 02 Aug 2014 10:59

Nice enough. Think i'm a bit spoilt by being so used to Stag Meadow which whilst being a bit tatty and beaten up is at least in a nice location! Been to over 100 non league grounds and it takes a lot for any of them to stand out tbh!

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 02 Aug 2014 12:57

... :oops:

no-one spotted my deliberate mistake in the preview above then ? 8)

Sandhurst are NOT playing at home twice today - the Sandhurst FC v Linby CW is 'of course' :roll: being played at Walesby Village in Notts so not exactly 'local'?

Looks as if the M3 might be fc£cked again this PM so will shun some new ticks in the Hants Premier - probably not much cover there either should it start raining again - also rules out a foray into the Wessex league - so will stay local - looking at one from Ashford (Mx), Eversley, Knaphill or Windsor.

Royalist

by Royalist » 03 Aug 2014 10:25

Didn't make it down to watch Windsor in the end, still cricket season after all, but how did the 'new' kit look?!

10440 posts