BFTG Brighton H

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG Brighton H

by M Brook » 11 Mar 2015 09:45

A much better performance and a much better atmosphere. Maybe the two go hand in hand. Chalobah at FB on Monday please.

Anyway, I think I've worked out the crucial role that HRK plays in the team. If we accept that, like every team, we are going to score, say, one in every 5 shots at goal then Hal is the one whose job it is to miss the 4, leaving someone else - last night it was Mackie - to score the goals. It is important not to underestimate the importance of this role as clearly, as evidenced by numerous comments on here, it is easily misunderstood. Hal, we salute you.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 11 Mar 2015 09:48

It's Cox and Taylor who look identical to me :shock:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Mar 2015 09:55

Might just have been my angle from behind the dugouts, but their penalty looked nailed on to me. My view was that Cooper/Chalobah/Gilkes whoever it was, pushed the Brighton player over as he turned him.
Maybe I was seeing things.

Not much more to add that hasn’t been said already, we were much improved, and chased and harried Brighton, fully worth our 3 points.

I’ve never seen someone handball in a game as much as Hector last night, I counted 4.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Mar 2015 09:55

PieEater It's Cox and Taylor who look identical to me :shock:

Plus Mackie and Murty. And Chalobah and Welbeck.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 11 Mar 2015 09:56

Fucks sake, It's always play a blinding performance the games I can't make

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Mar 2015 10:17

bobby1413 Is it just me that struggles at times to recognise the players. From the back row it's difficult picking out HRK, Hector, Blackman, Mccleary, Akpan, Chalobah, Williams.

Mackie was Great, loved that bit in the second half where he sprinted all out to the keeper who was about to kick the ball, then immediately sprinted back to the defender who had just received the pass. It was a bit like what Shunt used to do.

No. Williams has two sweat bands one on each wrist and a lighter skin tone, mcCleary two and darker tone plus quite solid, Akpan one and darker, Chalobah none. Hector's got a paler skin tone and is quite lithe.

Its not prrfect but combined with where they arr on yhe pitch it helps.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 11 Mar 2015 10:22

Ian Royal
bobby1413 Is it just me that struggles at times to recognise the players. From the back row it's difficult picking out HRK, Hector, Blackman, Mccleary, Akpan, Chalobah, Williams.

Mackie was Great, loved that bit in the second half where he sprinted all out to the keeper who was about to kick the ball, then immediately sprinted back to the defender who had just received the pass. It was a bit like what Shunt used to do.

No. Williams has two sweat bands one on each wrist and a lighter skin tone, mcCleary two and darker tone plus quite solid, Akpan one and darker, Chalobah none. Hector's got a paler skin tone and is quite lithe.

And different coloured boots.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Mar 2015 10:37

ZacNaloen Fucks sake, It's always play a blinding performance the games I can't make

me too

tempted* not to go to the cup game now

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Mar 2015 10:40

marlowuk A home win at last and some goals to celebrate - just what was needed before next Monday!! The side seem to have taken the energy and urgency from the display against Bradford and brought it to this game as we contested every ball and seemed generally very sharp. We were also - for the first half at least - pressing the opposition higher up the pitch rather than simply falling back and conceding the mid-field to them!

Mackie has to be MOTM not just for his 2 well-taken goals but also for the tireless effort he put in all game (well - for the 80 minutes or so he was on the pitch)! Chalobah also impressed me as he did against Bradford albeit playing LB tonight. He is composed on the ball and passes it out of defence constructively. The two youngsters did well in the central defence too. Hector and Cooper looked solid (the penalty against Cooper looked very soft to me!) although their defensive headers invariably fell to the opposition. Williams had another good game and controlled the midfield for me. Akpan was solid and Blackman looked useful.

McCleary and Gunter (almost impossible to name one without the other) created a lot particularly in the first half. Feds had little to do and HRK did little! Pog was great when he was brought on and, for those who accuse SC of ignoring the youth, it was good to see young Keown brought on for the last 10 minutes or so. I think that must have been his debut for the first team unless someone can tell me otherwise?

McCunter

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Mar 2015 10:43

bobby1413 Is it just me that struggles at times to recognise the players. From the back row it's difficult picking out HRK, Hector, Blackman, Mccleary, Akpan, Chalobah, Williams. .

only ever struggled with akpan / chalobah

the rest look totally different.

HRK- massive arse
MCleary distinctive hair
Hector really tall
Williams- looks like Williams
blackman, not very black
Last edited by melonhead on 11 Mar 2015 10:47, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Mar 2015 10:45

M Brook
Ian Royal

And different coloured boots.

Do any players wear a simple pair black boots any more?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Mar 2015 10:47

pearce did for a bit last season
then went for white ones that make it look like hes just got socks on

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 11 Mar 2015 12:24

Sanguine Plus Mackie and Murty.

So true!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Mar 2015 12:37

Good result last night to ensure that we are now safe.
Mackie is now finally showing why we got him-up until the last few weeks he ran around a lot but with no end product but of late he has been a real crowd-pleaser and suddenly a key player.
I think Clarke should show a video of the game to Kanu and possibly Blackman to highlight what working for the team is all about.
Interesting selections last night-presumably it is in his deal for Chalobah to not only play every game but also by the end of the season in every position.
I presume Clarke played him there because the little Spanish scouser is all left foot and cuts inside every time and apart from the one time that it worked for the penalty for the rest of the game Chalobah looked very comfortable.

What's to be done with Kanu?
Was he played last night because it doesn't matter much if he gets injured whereas with Pog and the others it does?
No wonder the club is in such dire straits financially if some idiot thought it worthwhile to offer him a long term contract after just a couple of decent and very rare performances in games that didn't matter at the end of the last Premier season.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Mar 2015 12:51

I thought we played reasonably well and we were effective in utterly bossing the midfield because Akpan (best I've seen him play for us) and Williams dovetailed so well in closing Brighton down. We're still ponderous and indecisive in possession at times but some poor Brighton play for the first and two wonderful Mackie finishes gave us a thoroughly deserved win.

The only player whose performance I'd have an issue with last night was McCleary. Clearly kicked out at a Brighton man when we had decent possession higher up the pitch so not only was our forward momentum stopped at a stroke, we had an unwanted extra couple of minutes added on at the end and we really should have been reduced to 10 men. Very selfish and poor attitude shown from a player bang out of form.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 11 Mar 2015 13:32

Atmosphere & Support

Didn't want a new thread but wanted to make a point of saying, last night is the reason I go to football. It was much like it used to be, actually supporting the players and team. I know that's been really hard in recent times due to abysmal performances and lack of passion.

However, actually singing about individual players and singing about RFC. The long chant about Mackie was excellent in the second half.

It makes a nice change from constant "why don't you go home... back to your..." and "oxf*rd off brighton... etc..." or other chants with no relevance to the team or players.

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 11 Mar 2015 13:48

Did anyone find out if their boyfriends knew they were there, Bobs?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 11 Mar 2015 14:02

Seen the hightlights, i hope the ball bobbled for hals shot :lol:

Penalty is so soft.

Mackies just playing with confidence, only thing that's changed.

Bob1871

by Bob1871 » 11 Mar 2015 14:02

bobby1413 Atmosphere & Support

Didn't want a new thread but wanted to make a point of saying, last night is the reason I go to football. It was much like it used to be, actually supporting the players and team. I know that's been really hard in recent times due to abysmal performances and lack of passion.

However, actually singing about individual players and singing about RFC. The long chant about Mackie was excellent in the second half.

It makes a nice change from constant "why don't you go home... back to your..." and "oxf*rd off brighton... etc..." or other chants with no relevance to the team or players.

In Y24 last night, I was asked to sit down with 5 minutes to go by another supporter for singing Steve Clarke's barmy Army. Everybody else was stood but he didn't want to! Tells you what you need to know about some of our fans!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Mar 2015 14:46

that they want to sit and watch the game?