Who do you want to replace Clarke?

1219 posts

Which one of these gentlemen, not currently managing, should lead the mighty Reading FC?

Steve Coppell
12%
Alan Curbishley
2%
Paolo Di Canio
2%
Avram Grant
1%
Glenn Hoddle
5%
Paul Ince
1%
Martin Kuhl
2%
Ally McCoist
1%
Brian McDermott
17%
David Moyes
12%
Nigel Pearson
24%
Gus Poyet
2%
Brendan Rodgers
2%
Uwe Rosler
0%
Tim Sherwood
3%
Mark Warburton
4%
Other (please specify)
8%

Total votes: 368
TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: Who do you want to replace Clarke?

by TBM » 07 Dec 2015 11:53

Surely the Thai owners will want a "big name" to help push the club forward....They have no ties to McD so unless they've just said "you guys chose and we won't get involved" then i cant see this happening

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 07 Dec 2015 11:54

Was Brian's success a fluke? No. You don't fluke a league of 46 games.

Was it right to be critical of Brian towards the end of his stint in charge? Yes. His tactics were failing, he didn't make the necessary changes, he fell into a trap of favouritism, made some duff signings and was churning out some dire football.

Should he have been sacked? No. It was a tough season, he deserved the chance to see it through and maybe even another shot at promotion the following year to see if lessons had been learned and whether he could develop as a manager.

Should he come back? No. I think we have moved on, have different players and style and can do better. The club doesn't owe him a job and acting on heart over head has never ended well in football.

But if he did come back, I wouldn't really mind that much, it would be nice to have 'one of our own' in charge and maybe it's what we need.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Dec 2015 11:59

I'd probably be happy enough with a McD on a short term contract until the end of the season. I don't think he's the answer and long term suspect it will end in tears, but he does deserve another chance imho.

I'm almost certain that McD's success was down to his relationship with the club and players, and bar our name it is a very different club to the one that he knew.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Dec 2015 12:05

Tw@tter conspiracy rumours have already started on Bergkamp, apparently missing from latest Ajax match press conference...

See more (or less) at http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... e-10558803

:lol:

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 07 Dec 2015 12:07

Although most of us have a very soft spot for Brian , you should never go back.....this would be a typical " Reading way " appointment and he didn't actually do that well at Leeds .

We need a new face , with no sentimentality attachment to the club and somebody who will simply deliver rather than spout false innuendo and talk bollox

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 07 Dec 2015 12:07

Sutekh Tw@tter conspiracy rumours have already started on Bergkamp, apparently missing from latest Ajax match press conference...

See more (or less) at http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... e-10558803

:lol:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Dec 2015 12:10

not having bergkamp.

be disappointed if they just go for a big name ex player

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Dec 2015 12:12

To be honest, I think the odds are probably just the result of hopeful betting rather than bookies being ITK.

RE: McDermott, I largely agree with EP

- His three (well, 2.5) good seasons with us were not a fluke. He built squads well.
- We quite probably would not have been relegated if he had made better decisions in the PL, like not dropping his best midfielder for no good reason and having to change formation. Our form when we played 4-5-1 (and didn't pick Gorkss) would have seen us through if we had sustained it all season.
- Despite that, we shouldn't have sacked him. He did well to get us there and we should have stood by him.
- He could probably work wonders with this squad - I'd like to see him get them playing like the team with Gylfi in it.
- He probably shouldn't come back. We have better options. I'd like to see the next McDermott - Kuhl or Viveash or even Rodgers - come in.

As for a big-name ex-player... meh. Could go either way. Would give them my full backing (which obviously means a lot) but wouldn't get excited.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Dec 2015 12:12

Extended-Phenotype Was Brian's success a fluke? No. You don't fluke a league of 46 games.

Was it right to be critical of Brian towards the end of his stint in charge? Yes. His tactics were failing, he didn't make the necessary changes, he fell into a trap of favouritism, made some duff signings and was churning out some dire football.

Should he have been sacked? No. It was a tough season, he deserved the chance to see it through and maybe even another shot at promotion the following year to see if lessons had been learned and whether he could develop as a manager.

Should he come back? No. I think we have moved on, have different players and style and can do better. The club doesn't owe him a job and acting on heart over head has never ended well in football.

But if he did come back, I wouldn't really mind that much, it would be nice to have 'one of our own' in charge and maybe it's what we need.

This.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 07 Dec 2015 12:13

melonhead not having bergkamp.

be disappointed if they just go for a big name ex player

He's not just a "big name ex player" though - he's been coaching Ajax for 4 years now....he'll have alot of contacts and can probably bring in a decent back room staff to aid him.

What can McD do? - bring some of his Leeds team with him?!

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 07 Dec 2015 12:13

Extended-Phenotype Was Brian's success a fluke? No. You don't fluke a league of 46 games.

Yep. Agree with pretty much every word of this.

bluerinse

by bluerinse » 07 Dec 2015 12:23

Heard a rumour that the club want a "dream team" of Bergkamp and McDermott.
Bergkamp has said yes to the job, but wants an assistant who has knowledge of the Championship.
Bergkamp and McDermott were team mates at Arsenal, and the current discussions going on are about trying to pursued McDermott to return to the club as Bergkamps assistant. However he is not sure whether he wants the assistant manager job having previously been the manager at the club.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 07 Dec 2015 12:31

bluerinse Heard a rumour that the club want a "dream team" of Bergkamp and McDermott.
Bergkamp has said yes to the job, but wants an assistant who has knowledge of the Championship.
Bergkamp and McDermott were team mates at Arsenal, and the current discussions going on are about trying to pursued McDermott to return to the club as Bergkamps assistant. However he is not sure whether he wants the assistant manager job having previously been the manager at the club.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

that's just ridiculous

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 07 Dec 2015 12:32

bluerinse Heard a rumour that the club want a "dream team" of Bergkamp and McDermott.

If Bergkamp came as manager and McD as assistant then I would quite literally jizz in my pants

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 07 Dec 2015 12:32

Why not have it as a Curishley and Gritt type of arrangement?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Dec 2015 12:33

Would McD want the hassle of it all again?

Leaving a very-much secure role at Arsenal to join a what will inevitably end-in-tears (one day) job at Reading may not be quite so attractive

Globe trotting scouting > trips to Blackburn Bolton etc

Holding Out Hope

by Holding Out Hope » 07 Dec 2015 12:34

Bergkamp, pretty pretty please.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Dec 2015 12:35

Since when were Bergkamp and McDermott team-mates at Arsenal. McDermott was in insurance and managing Slough and Woking before joining Reading while Bergkamp was at Arsenal. Or perhaps Dennis arranged his travel insurance through Brian (non flying of course) during his stint.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Dec 2015 12:38

Re: BMc, I'd have some reservations about his ability to manage as successfully without the same personal links, and to work well with the blend of players in the squad.

I also have concerns that if it doesn't quickly go well, it could open old wounds and splits in the fanbase and taint his record here.

Nothing concrete and if he can work with a more creative and finessed style of play and get results early then he's nothing short of perfect.

I spose that's less of a gamble than most other options.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 07 Dec 2015 12:40

Sutekh

Since when were Bergkamp and McDermott team-mates at Arsenal. McDermott was in insurance and managing Slough and Woking before joining Reading while Bergkamp was at Arsenal. Or perhaps Dennis arranged his travel insurance through Brian (non flying of course) during his stint.

I think Bluerinse was making a funny, m9

1219 posts