Who do you want to replace Tim Dellor?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Who do you want to replace Tim Dellor?

by leon » 09 Dec 2015 10:25

strap
Armadillo Roadkill I've always like Dellor.

I have an instinctive aversion to posh people: privileged people have a way of getting the kind of jobs we'd all want - like when some Oxbridge product ends up with the good job in the media whose parents were in the media too - they didn't get there on merit, it was connection and the exclusive cultural milieu they sprang from. The BBC's cultural and economic authorities didn't grow up in social housing and fought their way into the media via the local comprehensive. So I do get why Dellor will have detractors. How can he be authentic when he had the benefits of his background? Well, I would contend that he is, at least, very good at his job, and his emotional commitment to Reading cannot be questioned.

So many hackneyed cliches it's difficult to know where to start with this. The connection you make between "posh people" and "privileged people" is something straight out of Corbyn's version of Mein Kampf and would be hilarious if it wasn't so stupid. Just because a person can speak the Queen's English does not make them privileged, posh or anything else. Or does anybody who doesn't speak "like wot eye does innit like", a posh privileged tosser as far as you are concerned?

What is your problem with "an Oxbridge product"? Perhaps if you'd actually bothered to work hard at school, you too may have ended up at Oxford or Cambridge. (Did TD go to either??). The inference is clear that you are disdainful of people who DID work hard at school and proper university.

As for people using connections to get on in life, what century are you living in? If you cannot be bothered to expand your network of contacts and put yourself "out there", why should that mean everybody else should be shackled by your constraints? Have you never heard of the saying "It's not what you know, it's who you know"? That phrase has been around since at least the time my grandfather was a boy - he told it to me years ago! It's as true to day as it's ever been, perhaps even more so since the advent of government (sic) abrogating their responsibilities to the people they were once elected to serve.

The BBC's cultural and economic authorities (sic) didn't grow up in anti-social housing and fought their way into the media via the local comprehensive in the old days - but that is the only pool they now draw from! "Meja studies" is now the de facto easy option for any "wannabe" "university" "graduate". We can all thank Bliar for that little piece of wonderful dumming down of tertiary education.

As for Tim Dellor, Mike Gooding and Adie Williams, I like them - and having met the last two can confirm they are exceedingly good people. Their accents are totally different which adds to the listening experience. Based on your ridiculous prejudices, are you suggesting TD is nothing more than a pompous privileged toff, MG nothing more than a former miner, (which indeed his father was), and AW nothing more than an a wide-boy comprehensive drop-out?

Never judge a book by its cover, (which is really all I needed to say really). I got out of the wrong side of the bed again today, and reading your drivel just sent me over the edge. Apologies, I have too much time on my hands.

Calm down you fcuking nutjob

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 09 Dec 2015 10:31

ayjaydee
Top Flight Whilst we're in the sacking mood and since Tim Dellor was instrumental in souring the mood around the club which eventually resulted in Steve Clarke losing his job despite the fact that we are only one victory away from the play off positions, who would everyone like to see replacing Dellor at BBC Berkshire?

I'm thinking Chris Tarrant would be a good shout to run the sports programme. He is Reading born and bred. Fantastic career in media. Very well spoken. Tons of experience on Radio with Capital breakfast etc. And he is a Reading fan. Linking Tarrant up with Adie Williams would be a great combination.

I don't mind Dellor that much but I think Adie Wiiliams is trying to be BBCRB's version of Adrian Durham or Mike Porky Parry. Supposedly playing devils advocate but in the main just stirring the shit.

I agree, I find Adie Williams really fcking annoying these days. He talks complete drivel and analyses his own analysis to the Nth degree, asking pointless questions just to produce some form of meaningless debate.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 09 Dec 2015 10:39

Crickey Strappers - you make some interesting points. And I had toned down my usual Marxist rhetoric to try and fit in a bit on here - looks like it didn't work, eh?

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 09 Dec 2015 12:05

I often listen to the local radio commentary when at away matches, and to Dellor and co via Reading FC Player for home matches. BBCRB coverage and commentary is undoubtedly top quality, and Dellor is a key part of that. On the rare occasions when he misses a game, the commentary suffers. I enjoy the presenters' banter as well. Long may they continue.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Dec 2015 12:14

Hmm, last time he was away I thought the commentary (on the football match) was significantly better.

I actually had a picture in my head of what was happening on the pitch which is rarely the case with Tim and Mick.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 09 Dec 2015 12:26

Dellor's alright.

I think he does a fairly good job of asking open questions to allow whoever he is interviewing a little bit of scope when they answer, and he voices his opinions in the right way (not shouting over everybody like he's on TalkSport), whether or not you agree with what he says.

I think he has a decent enough knowledge of the game to back his opinions up, and he has Williams and Gooding alongside him who are there to provide the analysis of ex-pros.

He also clearly wants the club to do well, and the coverage is pretty even-handed for a local radio station. His chat with Gooding is fine by me, you're supposed to enjoy football so I see no reason why they can't add a bit of colour to proceedings, talking about half time food or whatever. It's not Question Time, for fukk's sake.

If Radio Berkshire are sacking anyone, it should be that idiot Rita from the studio. When I'm driving back from the game I don't want to listen to her reading out emails and texts, emphasising the wrong words and being all weird. Also, when Williams calls her 'Reets' I want to plough into oncoming traffic.

Edit: He's posh. So? There's not much he can do about that, plus I don't see how his class should affect his ability to report on a football game.

biff

by biff » 09 Dec 2015 14:41

Adie Williams is truly thick and wholly pointless. It's painful listening when Dellor has to invent a question to answer after Adie poses him unanswerable drivel.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Dec 2015 15:00

biff Adie Williams is truly thick and wholly pointless. It's painful listening when Dellor has to invent a question to answer after Adie poses him unanswerable drivel.

Adie does chat a lot of shit. I don't like the text bird, she's really oxf*rd annoying.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Dec 2015 15:02

Ah, Rita. Lovely Rita. She's my favourite.

But fine, let's sack her.

download

by download » 16 Dec 2015 22:37

MoorgateRoyal Dellor's alright.

I think he does a fairly good job of asking open questions to allow whoever he is interviewing a little bit of scope when they answer, and he voices his opinions in the right way (not shouting over everybody like he's on TalkSport), whether or not you agree with what he says.

I think he has a decent enough knowledge of the game to back his opinions up, and he has Williams and Gooding alongside him who are there to provide the analysis of ex-pros.

He also clearly wants the club to do well, and the coverage is pretty even-handed for a local radio station. His chat with Gooding is fine by me, you're supposed to enjoy football so I see no reason why they can't add a bit of colour to proceedings, talking about half time food or whatever. It's not Question Time, for fukk's sake.

If Radio Berkshire are sacking anyone, it should be that idiot Rita from the studio. When I'm driving back from the game I don't want to listen to her reading out emails and texts, emphasising the wrong words and being all weird. Also, when Williams calls her 'Reets' I want to plough into oncoming traffic.

Edit: He's posh. So? There's not much he can do about that, plus I don't see how his class should affect his ability to report on a football game.

I think Dellor's pretty genuine and we know where his heart lies. Adie Williams needs to be told he is getting on everyone's nerves.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 18 Dec 2015 13:09

Rita's voice is wonderful, always makes me think she's fit as fcuk.. she's not :x

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 18 Dec 2015 13:25

download
MoorgateRoyal Dellor's alright.

I think Dellor's pretty genuine and we know where his heart lies. Adie Williams needs to be told he is getting on everyone's nerves.

not everyone

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 Jan 2016 16:18

was overtly positive about vydra before derby game.
clearly had read/heard the criticism he was getting over previous negativity

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 17 Jan 2016 22:58

I get the impression Tim Dellor slept with Top Flights missus or something....

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 19 Jan 2016 09:46

Reading legend Mick Gooding. How many times each show does he have to say that, and the voice of Reading FC.
This stuff is so irritating.

Also why read out tweets, don't people just go on twitter if they want to read that.
Copying what is said on social.media seems pointless

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 19 Jan 2016 17:29

Harpers So Solid Crew Reading legend Mick Gooding. How many times each show does he have to say that, and the voice of Reading FC.
This stuff is so irritating.

Also why read out tweets, don't people just go on twitter if they want to read that.
Copying what is said on social.media seems pointless

The most annoying thing about that? After Derby last week he had 3 callers, and numerous texts and tweets from people who weren't at the game, telling us nothing! I was listening online whilst sat in the car park trying to get away from the game yet he ignored my oxf*rd text.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Mar 2016 14:35

leon
strap
Armadillo Roadkill I've always like Dellor.

I have an instinctive aversion to posh people: privileged people have a way of getting the kind of jobs we'd all want - like when some Oxbridge product ends up with the good job in the media whose parents were in the media too - they didn't get there on merit, it was connection and the exclusive cultural milieu they sprang from. The BBC's cultural and economic authorities didn't grow up in social housing and fought their way into the media via the local comprehensive. So I do get why Dellor will have detractors. How can he be authentic when he had the benefits of his background? Well, I would contend that he is, at least, very good at his job, and his emotional commitment to Reading cannot be questioned.

So many hackneyed cliches it's difficult to know where to start with this. The connection you make between "posh people" and "privileged people" is something straight out of Corbyn's version of Mein Kampf and would be hilarious if it wasn't so stupid. Just because a person can speak the Queen's English does not make them privileged, posh or anything else. Or does anybody who doesn't speak "like wot eye does innit like", a posh privileged tosser as far as you are concerned?

What is your problem with "an Oxbridge product"? Perhaps if you'd actually bothered to work hard at school, you too may have ended up at Oxford or Cambridge. (Did TD go to either??). The inference is clear that you are disdainful of people who DID work hard at school and proper university.

As for people using connections to get on in life, what century are you living in? If you cannot be bothered to expand your network of contacts and put yourself "out there", why should that mean everybody else should be shackled by your constraints? Have you never heard of the saying "It's not what you know, it's who you know"? That phrase has been around since at least the time my grandfather was a boy - he told it to me years ago! It's as true to day as it's ever been, perhaps even more so since the advent of government (sic) abrogating their responsibilities to the people they were once elected to serve.

The BBC's cultural and economic authorities (sic) didn't grow up in anti-social housing and fought their way into the media via the local comprehensive in the old days - but that is the only pool they now draw from! "Meja studies" is now the de facto easy option for any "wannabe" "university" "graduate". We can all thank Bliar for that little piece of wonderful dumming down of tertiary education.

As for Tim Dellor, Mike Gooding and Adie Williams, I like them - and having met the last two can confirm they are exceedingly good people. Their accents are totally different which adds to the listening experience. Based on your ridiculous prejudices, are you suggesting TD is nothing more than a pompous privileged toff, MG nothing more than a former miner, (which indeed his father was), and AW nothing more than an a wide-boy comprehensive drop-out?

Never judge a book by its cover, (which is really all I needed to say really). I got out of the wrong side of the bed again today, and reading your drivel just sent me over the edge. Apologies, I have too much time on my hands.

:lol:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 07 Mar 2016 00:01

Maneki Neko
leon
strap

Bit of a delayed reaction!

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Apr 2016 16:15