McDermott Sacked (AGAIN)

565 posts
Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

Re: McDermott Sacked (AGAIN)

by Longhorn1970 » 27 May 2016 22:01

photographer :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Why the sympathy for McDermott? The owners don't owe him ANYTHING. He's not doing this for free, he gets paid for what he does and will get compensated accordingly. He was a Madejski appointment, not the owner's appointment, and so will never have their full backing anyway. Out with the old and in with the new to begin afresh on a clean slate I say.

Why does he deserve ANY time at all? If you aren't doing ANY job well, no CEO will give you 6 months or a year more to flush away millions just because you're a 'nice guy'.

Point well made, I hear Leeds need a manager ..

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 27 May 2016 22:03

photographer
blueroyals This is a manager who took this club to the premier league a few seasons ago

Jason Roberts and ALF brought this club to the premier league. McDermott was the one who brought Akpan and Blackman, treated Danny Guthrie like shit, didn't include one of our best performing midfielders (Jay Tabb) in our final 25 in January, and was otherwise a totally shit Premier League manager who ruined the team spirit and brought us down.

He's a nice guy, but he's not a Championship/Premier League manager. Should probably be coaching the academy players or something.

You got it ..

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 May 2016 22:13

Longhorn1970
Lower West
RoyallyFcuked
I know we won't spend much, the point still stands tho.

Clarke was given plenty of money and that has all gone down the drain. That was a wake call for the owners.......

He had to cull top earners before he could sign McShane, Quinn and AAH on a free, how much you think he spent ? Then deduct sale of Blackman and Hector ..

Loan players wages must have been considerable. Vydra alone was £2.5 million.

Hurtado and Sa weren't cheap signings.

None of which would have brought unity to the camp. Vydra and Blackman showed no sign of bonding .
Last edited by Lower West on 27 May 2016 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 27 May 2016 22:21

LWJ
RG7Fan
Lower West
Sounds as if you've being playing computer games too long. From the numerous games I watched last season. Reality was the squad wasn't up to the task. Playing kids wasn't the answer either. Simple as that.

Which match was so successful with the diamond then?

Forest and Bolton to name two within the last few weeks of the season..

Suppose you weren't there though?

You mean the Bolton game (against the worst team in the division) where they were down to 10 men after 22 mins and it took us until the 90th+ to score? Yeah - real quality performance that one .... and no I wasn't there as it was away, but if you're calling that out as a success you have set the bar very low ...

Forest - I was on hols and was watching the web updates and it did sound Reading were good, but we still lost. Maybe it worked maybe it didn't - I would say it didn't given we lost.

Fact is "the diamond" didn't work all the time and should have been dumped when it was obvious it wasn't working, that is McD's fault.

Don't get me wrong, I was happy when he was appointed - but the on field performances didn't improve. He had a good squad (on paper) but obviously couldn't motivate them to play to win. I think everyone was looking for a 'nice' manager who would coax the team in to playing & winning - McD is that kind of man from what I see. Sadly I don't think that is the right thing for Reading - what they need is an uncompromising bastard who will remind them how it is and who knows the Championship.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 May 2016 22:25

Ok, I suppose now that Brian's gone we can say something?

Anyway, he said at the last forum that he wasn't happy with the midfielders we had available and that we couldn't play the way he wanted and in the formation he wanted because the balance in the squad was not right.

clauski

by clauski » 27 May 2016 22:36

Bristol Paul Can't see us sacking Brian and bringing in a (potentially) big name replacement without intending to make decent funding available however which could be good news.

Can't see us making decent funding available. Full stop.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 May 2016 22:39

sandman Anyway, he said at the last forum that he wasn't happy with the midfielders we had available and that we couldn't play the way he wanted and in the formation he wanted because the balance in the squad was not right.

Midfield performance was consistantly poor throughout the whole season.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 May 2016 22:40

Would only take Stam if every transfer rumour we have is headlined "Jaap Eyes transfer target"

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 27 May 2016 22:43

He should never have been appointed in the first place. Big mistake that one!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 27 May 2016 22:44

This is the most pessimistic I have ever felt about Reading FC.

The owners are completely incompetent. Now we have to go several steps backwards because the owners need to learn everything from scratch. They should have been humble and listened to Howe and Madejski. People who do know how to run an English football club. The only thing Madejski lacked was capital. But he sure knew how to run a football club in England along with Howe, Hammond etc.

clauski

by clauski » 27 May 2016 22:46

Wonder how Danzell Gravenberch is feeling 48 hours after signing for the club?

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 27 May 2016 22:49

LWJ
blueroyals I only renewed this week, surely there's a way I can get a refund?

If you didn't renew in person, do distance selling regs apply?

They may do.

Also as an ongoing contract (possibly) you could try the 14 day cooling off period rules?

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 27 May 2016 22:56

Crux
RoyallyFcuked Maybe the club should have appointed him on an interim basis or given him a contract to the end of the season instead, because clearly unless he worked miracles they had no intention of retaining him.

It seems whatever money there is available, they don't trust him to spend it. Whoever comes in needed to be given the summer.

There is no Money - Kitson has confirmed

You mean an ex-player (from some time ago) who masqueraded as the 'Secret Footballer' suddenly says we have no money and you believe him??? I'm sure he knows one or two people, but please ....

If there is no money then why sack BM which actually COSTS money???

tonyrfc

by tonyrfc » 27 May 2016 22:58

Never wanted him in the first place and I'm happy that he's gone. His second spell at this club almost mirrored his rabbit in the headlights performance when we were in the premier league. Completely out of his depth. The results speak for themselves.

Moving on. It would seem that there's a much bigger restructuring process going on at the club and Hammond/Brian leaving is just the start of it. We can only watch from a distance and hope it all works out in the long term.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 May 2016 23:01

Painful as it is Tony...I hope that you are right

Instinct, experience and nearing fifty years of supporting the Reading way...suggests otherwise

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 May 2016 23:23

tonyrfc Moving on. It would seem that there's a much bigger restructuring process going on at the club and Hammond/Brian leaving is just the start of it. We can only watch from a distance and hope it all works out in the long term.

From a newspaper interview of July 2015.

"Narin Niruttinanon - The objective is for the club to have more stable revenue income. It is no secret that most teams in the Championship don’t make money and if the financial performance of Reading continues in the way it has been, then you are looking a change of ownership once we feel that we can not continue to support the team."

Safe to assume that they'll run the club on a balanced budget. If it results in relegation so be it.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 May 2016 23:52

Loved Brian.

Hate that he was sacked.

Loved to see him back.

Wanted him to have a chance next season.

But for some reason I'm not at all fussed he's gone. Poor record since his return. I'm quite relieved if I'm honest. I say bring back Bullivant.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 27 May 2016 23:57

Top Flight This is the most pessimistic I have ever felt about Reading FC.

The owners are completely incompetent. Now we have to go several steps backwards because the owners need to learn everything from scratch. They should have been humble and listened to Howe and Madejski. People who do know how to run an English football club. The only thing Madejski lacked was capital. But he sure knew how to run a football club in England along with Howe, Hammond etc.

Agreed. Anyone that views McDermott's sacking as a good thing is missing the bigger picture. As was stated in TTE's "emergency sacking podcast" a reputation for sacking managers without having the ability to engender a sense of identity and build a team will ultimately result in an inability to hire a good manager and retain talent. I am actually indifferent on the decision to hire McDermott but I am absolutely biased on hiring a good manager and giving that manager enough time to build a team. If the management sack the next manager within 18 months time, it will become a bigger shambles than it already is.

Since I'm a "Yank" I'm naturally imbued with "positivity" (not the Adkins version mind you) but I also know that even here where franchises rule, a good manager coupled with enough time is the difference between a solid team and a drifting club that will never do anything. instability will kill a team. Instability coupled with concept of relegation will ruin a club.

Pick wisely owners and then back your selection with funding AND time. Either that, or move on please.

And BTW, anyone that did not view Hammond's departure of a signal that things are definitely on a bad path (or at least a significant departure from past methods) is kidding themselves. No long-term servant of a club leaves without a lot of undue pressure. It may be that "the Reading Way" is all but six feet under, but be wary of the next phase; None of us want a Bolton, Charlton, Blackburn...
Last edited by PremAddict on 28 May 2016 00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 28 May 2016 00:13

We should have a 'bald day' protest and support day...

'Bald' wigs worn by the fans to show solidarity with Brian and support for Stam (if we get him)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 May 2016 00:15

Some of us are already one step ahead on that :lol:

565 posts