BFTG . Brighton

123 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG . Brighton

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Aug 2016 10:58

genome
Gunny Fishcake Good game good result it's going to be a long season of transition but encouraging signs look very weak upfront

Are we in a transitional period following on from last season's transitional period which was following on from the transitional season that was 14/15?

Yes, and we are playing a possession game at the back as we did under
Burns
Rodgers
Adkins
Clarke
:wink:
Have enjoyed both home league games and in particular Swift and our two wingers.
We are physically weak in midfield but Stam seems to have addressed that-it is now just a question of addressing the problems up front and in both of the full-back positions.
If football was a standing-still game Kermorgant could be a star as demonstrated by his two second-half attempts but it isn't and we need more from a front man.

It's far too early to say whether we are making much progress and if the latest set of signings will turn out to be any better than our signings last season.
Sidwell showed what we are missing in terms of a tackling midfielder-for all his energy and bluster Williams seldom wins a 50/50.

As I don't go to many away games these days I'll settle for our Jekyll and Hyde team to be good at home and finish around mid-table.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Aug 2016 11:45

Do your work HNA

Half Biscuit

by Half Biscuit » 21 Aug 2016 12:06

The Real Sandhurst Royal Great comeback in the 2nd half from 2-1 down. Deserved the win as we took total control of the game.

Stone wall penalty not given in the second half by a set of poor officials who might as well been dressed in a Brighton kit.

This.
Gunter was taken down inside the area, right under my nose in the ED Stand. Ref bottled it, whole crowd in that area were incensed.
Didn't see a push on JvdB, but he powered the header into the roof of the net with a vengeance - er, defenders don't do that. Unless they're pushed.
Great intensity from Reading 2nd half, McCleary immense, many opponents will buckle, but Brighton just had enough nouse and composure on the ball.

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 21 Aug 2016 12:16

Lower West
Barcelona Blue Overall verdict, if we are going to play around at the back, then the midfielders need to give the defenders more options by running more off the ball, promising and the beginnings of something good

Seems as if the front 5 are intentionally pushing high up the pitch to create space . That's why Stam is looking for technically good defenders that are comfortable with the ball.

OK, but the point of creating space is so that you can exploit it. If there are no players IN that space, it's just space.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 21 Aug 2016 12:33

Half Biscuit
The Real Sandhurst Royal Great comeback in the 2nd half from 2-1 down. Deserved the win as we took total control of the game.

Stone wall penalty not given in the second half by a set of poor officials who might as well been dressed in a Brighton kit.

This.
Gunter was taken down inside the area, right under my nose in the ED Stand. Ref bottled it, whole crowd in that area were incensed.
Didn't see a push on JvdB, but he powered the header into the roof of the net with a vengeance - er, defenders don't do that. Unless they're pushed.
Great intensity from Reading 2nd half, McCleary immense, many opponents will buckle, but Brighton just had enough nouse and composure on the ball.

The penalty call was tight but I think the foul was outside of the area, with Gunter falling over just inside the area.

If we think Obita is a poor left back, it could be worse. Their let back was dreadful. And to be fair to Obita he won't face many as good as Knockaert this season.

To me I thought Brighton looked quite ordinary except for Knockaert. Quite a lot of endeavour but very reliant, creatively, on one player. Murray was worse than Kermogant yesterday. Did absolutely no work at all. Hemed looked more lively in 10 minutes than Murray did all game. And why did they take off a forward and put on Norwood? Playing for a draw? Hardly the move of a Championship chasing side.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Aug 2016 12:37

ladida_gunner_graham
Lower West
Barcelona Blue Overall verdict, if we are going to play around at the back, then the midfielders need to give the defenders more options by running more off the ball, promising and the beginnings of something good

Seems as if the front 5 are intentionally pushing high up the pitch to create space . That's why Stam is looking for technically good defenders that are comfortable with the ball.

OK, but the point of creating space is so that you can exploit it. If there are no players IN that space, it's just space.

Early days have patience. Still coming together.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Aug 2016 13:27

Well that was a good game. Brighton are a fine side but yesterday they looked a bit like a one man team. If "Knockout" is injured/suspended they'll have problems on that showing. Still a well organised and well drilled outfit though, that I expect to finish top 6 as a minimum, and some credit to Reading for stopping them effectively.

Thought we deserved the 3 points but as usual got naff all luck due to continued inconsistent and appalling referees (he was bad for both sides even though they are supposedly meant to be professional now) & just no breaks in their 6 yard box for the Cormorant. That said if it wasn't for our inability to defend at the start of the second half YET AGAIN we would have won the game irrespective.

Real team performance with no real man of the match which shows we're getting on the right lines and with the addition of Moore and Blackett should only get better.

Expecting a fairly strong side on Tuesday v the franchise which will hopefully be good enough to progress and give Stam a bit of further thought for the Cardiff game.

Now just need an impressive striker from somewhere....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2016 14:54

genome
Gunny Fishcake Good game good result it's going to be a long season of transition but encouraging signs look very weak upfront

Are we in a transitional period following on from last season's transitional period which was following on from the transitional season that was 14/15?

That's what happens when you have two different sets of owners and four managers in three seasons.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Aug 2016 17:52

Watching the highlights it's seems like the touch on VDB wasn't too much.. and I thought gunter was outside for the penalty shout..

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2016 18:18

NewCorkSeth Watching the highlights it's seems like the touch on VDB wasn't too much.. and I thought gunter was outside for the penalty shout..

+1 from a view of the highlights. Looked the sort of mild push you'd expect to get virtually every time you go up for something in the box, plus it didn't seem to come as he headed it, but before. It just doesn't look enough to give a foul for me.

Gunter's was the sort of one where the ref has to be right in line and close to give a penalty... just too much doubt otherwise.

Sweet finish from McShane. Nice to see the Brighton keeper flapping for Swift's. No one picking up at the penalty spot for their second, VDB marking nothing.

GloucestershireRoyal

by GloucestershireRoyal » 21 Aug 2016 19:05

All things considered, the result did not reflect how well we played against a Brighton side that was full of confidence. Disappointing performance.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Aug 2016 19:15

Ian Royal
NewCorkSeth Watching the highlights it's seems like the touch on VDB wasn't too much.. and I thought gunter was outside for the penalty shout..

+1 from a view of the highlights. Looked the sort of mild push you'd expect to get virtually every time you go up for something in the box, plus it didn't seem to come as he headed it, but before. It just doesn't look enough to give a foul for me.

Gunter's was the sort of one where the ref has to be right in line and close to give a penalty... just too much doubt otherwise.

Sweet finish from McShane. Nice to see the Brighton keeper flapping for Swift's. No one picking up at the penalty spot for their second, VDB marking nothing.

Its was certainly a foul on gunter but on the wrong side of the line. True about VDB for there goal. It was weak marking! From what people have said perhaps him being pushed up to cm will keep the bite he adds with less chance of his fouls coming in the box.

McDermolenko

by McDermolenko » 21 Aug 2016 19:19

genome Do your work HNA

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 21 Aug 2016 19:28

McDermolenko
genome Do your work HNA

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Aug 2016 19:38

McDermolenko
genome Do your work HNA

:lol: Amazing

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Aug 2016 20:47

LWJ
marlowuk

The booing of Norwood was unnecessary - he has been a good servant to the club

2 seasons he was here for, 2 seasons of mediocre football we've had. who jumped ship as soon as someone came in for him. How was he a good servant?!

Need I remind anyone how many corners it took for us to score last year.. And the percentage he would have taken.

He had just one year left on his contract and, according to him, hadn't been offered a new one. So he decided to join a club who were offering him a good deal. Would you have done any different in that situation? Would you have preferred he sat tight, ran down his contract and left for nothing, rather than getting the club a decent fee? In the circumstances it now appears a win-win situation.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Aug 2016 21:05

McDermolenko
genome Do your work HNA

Delivered :lol: :lol:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Aug 2016 21:16

GloucestershireRoyal All things considered, the result did not reflect how well we played against a Brighton side that was full of confidence. Disappointing performance.

This post confuses me.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Aug 2016 21:26

McDermolenko
genome Do your work HNA

Bet Gunts and Pepe have saved that picture.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Aug 2016 21:35

RoyalBlue
LWJ
marlowuk

The booing of Norwood was unnecessary - he has been a good servant to the club

2 seasons he was here for, 2 seasons of mediocre football we've had. who jumped ship as soon as someone came in for him. How was he a good servant?!

Need I remind anyone how many corners it took for us to score last year.. And the percentage he would have taken.

He had just one year left on his contract and, according to him, hadn't been offered a new one. So he decided to join a club who were offering him a good deal. Would you have done any different in that situation? Would you have preferred he sat tight, ran down his contract and left for nothing, rather than getting the club a decent fee? In the circumstances it now appears a win-win situation.

I don't think Norwood deserved to be booed, and thought there was as much applause as booing anyway.
I did find his message to the fans via GetReading a touch unnecessary - you can't leave for purely financial reasons on the one hand and then claim you left for footballing reasons on the other !
I don't think we are missing him, and I'm not sure he'll play much at Brighton but he's got his pay rise and we've got Liam Moore so as you say, it's win-win

123 posts