CONFIMRED - Tiago Ilori

354 posts
bracksroyal10

Re: Rumour - Tiago Ilori

by bracksroyal10 » 05 Jan 2017 13:59

If it happens this would be a very clever bit of business by Jaap

Will be comfortable on the ball being a Rodgers signing and I think can play cb and also cdm.

I think VDB is very suspect on the ball in midfield at times so may be a place in there for Tiago but it would be harsh on Evans.

If it's a 3.75 mil deal, he won't have been purchased to sit on the bench

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2017 14:01

Surprised we would pay as much, but potentially a very good player

GetReading suggests the fee is a lower than reported though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jan 2017 14:06

Slater1993
Stranded
Slater1993 If we have that amount to spend on a defender, why a completely unproven 23 year old who couldn't get a game for Villa last season. Won't believe it until it's done.

I wouldn't take anything away from Villa's ridiculous season last year tbh. Probably better for him he didn't play.

Ok but in last season and a half he has only played 3 competitive games (FA Cup), he's 24 in feb, seems to not lived up to his potential.

For Liverpool, yes - played 15 games for Bordeaux season before last.

His potential appears to be not being good enough for Liverpool, which is hardly a bad thing.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 05 Jan 2017 14:18

Hound Surprised we would pay as much, but potentially a very good player

GetReading suggests the fee is a lower than reported though.

Article by the getReading deputy editor, in the absence of Charles. So must be concrete.

I guess we will find out roughly what we have paid if the club announces it as a record fee or not

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 05 Jan 2017 14:41

RichTea94 Fun fact: he holds the Sporting Lisbon youth sprint record- previously held by a certain C. Ronaldo and Nani.

If ever a manager can recognise a decent centre-back it should be our man.
So far he has bought in the excellent Moore and the not-so-great Blackett, although in the case of the latter it looks as though Stam sees him as a left of 3, an orthodox left-back or as a wing-back.I wonder if he doesn't see him as a true centre-back.
This Liverpool lad is very good on the ball (fits the Stam mould) but hasn't looked the strongest but a bit of Stam DNA might turn him into what we need.
Good to see that we might be spending a bit of money for a play-off push as, although we might not be ready yet for promotion, these opportunities need to be grabbed whenever they come around as they don't always.

I am trying to remember if we have ever signed anybody from Liverpool post-war but nobody comes readily to mind apart from Jack Whittham who I don't think we signed directly from them.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jan 2017 14:56

Slater1993
Stranded
Slater1993 If we have that amount to spend on a defender, why a completely unproven 23 year old who couldn't get a game for Villa last season. Won't believe it until it's done.

I wouldn't take anything away from Villa's ridiculous season last year tbh. Probably better for him he didn't play.

Ok but in last season and a half he has only played 3 competitive games (FA Cup), he's 24 in feb, seems to not lived up to his potential.

Point of order. There is a slight difference between living up to potential at Liverpool and living up to potential at Reading. You could also argue that Moore wasn't living up to his potential at Leicester.

Ilori should know this country's football very well and be the right match for our current system given his years on the continent. Also it's Jaap Stam and his team that has identified him as the right player and who could there be better than being able to spot a central defender. On top of that his English should be excellent and should be raring to prove himself.

On top of that he's apparently quick and would give us the cover we need if Moore or McShane are out as well as allow us to comfortably play three at the back rather than looking quite so dodgy with Berg or Blackett in there. It makes further sense when you understand that Stam primarily sees Blackett as a left back.

If he does arrive let's hope he looks as talented as Carrico did for the brief period he was here.

The deal value is less that £3.75m according to the EP but it could still be a record fee. I suspect though it's something like £2m down with more payable on promotion, appearances plus a sell on fee etc.

Lastly, is this the first ever loan or permanent transfer dealing directly between Reading and Liverpool in either direction? The only other I can think of was Jack Witham who was here for a few games in around 1975 but think that was a loan from Cardiff or something.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 05 Jan 2017 15:51

J Lo reporting it as done deal. Having medical now, apparently.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Jan 2017 15:53

From our Jonathan:

Tiago Ilori undergoing a medical and agreeing personal terms today ahead of a move to #readingfc from #lfc

Fee of £3.75m for Ilori would be the complete package (add-ons etc) so the upfront figure would be far lower #readingfc

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Jan 2017 15:54

genome From our Jonathan:

Tiago Ilori undergoing a medical and agreeing personal terms today ahead of a move to #readingfc from #lfc

Fee of £3.75m for Ilori would be the complete package (add-ons etc) so the upfront figure would be far lower #readingfc

Pretty much done then. Into the squad in time for Saturday?

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 05 Jan 2017 17:09

Is he cup tied? I would love to see him get a run out vs. United.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Jan 2017 17:17

seahawk10 Is he cup tied? I would love to see him get a run out vs. United.

Seeing's how Liverpool haven't entered the competition yet, I'm gonna have a guess and say no.

Hitchytwo

by Hitchytwo » 05 Jan 2017 17:25

I personally and excited about this transfer! (If it goes through). I completely trust stams judgement on the defenders. He must know what a 'hidden gem' of a centerback looks like, based on the Moore and Blackett signing.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Jan 2017 17:48

Held off Barcelona single handed by the looks of it....

https://youtu.be/DBia7Zgo5pk

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Jan 2017 18:01

Would we start a game at Old Trafford with a defence whose entire time together consisted of a coach journey up the M6 ?
Somehow doubt it, but quite happy to see him are his d but against QPR on Thursday night.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jan 2017 18:21

Royal Rother Held off Barcelona single handed by the looks of it....

https://youtu.be/DBia7Zgo5pk

Obvs it's highlights and only one game, but there's little not to get very excited about there.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular

by seahawk10 » 05 Jan 2017 18:28

CountryRoyal

Seeing's how Liverpool haven't entered the competition yet, I'm gonna have a guess and say no.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Jan 2017 18:30

seahawk10
CountryRoyal

If it's any conciliation I was going to just put :lol:

But i figured that you would be none the wiser so I thought I'd try and elaborate and not be as big of a pcunt. New year new me and all that.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Jan 2017 18:31

Hitchytwo I personally and excited about this transfer! (If it goes through). I completely trust stams judgement on the defenders. He must know what a 'hidden gem' of a centerback looks like, based on the Moore and Blackett signing.

Coopers days are numbered at RFC. Hasn't good what Stam requires. Reminds me of Flint at Brizzle City. Both very much in the mould of old fashioned English centre backs. Lack all round technical ability.

retro royal

by retro royal » 05 Jan 2017 18:33

Sky reporting

READING HAVE ILORI BID ACCEPTED

Reading have had a bid of £3.75m – plus add-ons – accepted by Liverpool for the 23-year-old Portugal U23 centre-back Tiago Ilori.

The decision to leave for the Championship club is now down to the player.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular

by seahawk10 » 05 Jan 2017 18:33

CountryRoyal
seahawk10
CountryRoyal

If it's any conciliation I was going to just put :lol:

But i figured that you would be none the wiser so I thought I'd try and elaborate and not be as big of a pcunt. New year new me and all that.

I should have known better seeing as this is United's first game in the cup as well and the Prem teams don't enter until Round 3.
I don't mind making a fool of myself from time to time. :D

Cheers

354 posts