3140 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Royals on the Box/Internet Thread

by Stranded » 08 Aug 2017 20:28

NewCorkSeth
Stranded
NewCorkSeth No video.. What bull. I dont recall seeing it written anywhere that cup games were not included..

It's in the International FAQs. No Carabao Cup, Checkatrade Trophy or play off games will get live coverage. Only covers the league games not picked up for international broadcast.

They need to remove the Watch Live button for these games then to make it clearer.

I accept that its not available. I don't like that they hid the fact. When signing up all it said about live games was that I could watch them and that its up to 46 games a season. Thats not very clear.

Fair enough. Had to look at the FAQs to confirm myself but the 46 games was a bit of a give away thinking about it.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Aug 2017 20:35

Stranded
NewCorkSeth
Stranded
It's in the International FAQs. No Carabao Cup, Checkatrade Trophy or play off games will get live coverage. Only covers the league games not picked up for international broadcast.

They need to remove the Watch Live button for these games then to make it clearer.

I accept that its not available. I don't like that they hid the fact. When signing up all it said about live games was that I could watch them and that its up to 46 games a season. Thats not very clear.

Fair enough. Had to look at the FAQs to confirm myself but the 46 games was a bit of a give away thinking about it.

Its an odd way of putting it. With all the talk that certain games wont be available I didnt read into it to much.

Emmer Green Royal

by Emmer Green Royal » 08 Aug 2017 21:13

[quote="Stranded"][quote="Emmer Green Royal"][quote="Mr Controversial"]I'm getting funny messages about my location being unable to receive this broadcast for tonight's match.

I've tried several vpn locations around the world but none seem to work.

Still 30 minutes to kick off.[/quote]

On the app I get the same messages - but I'm in Austria so there should be no problem with location. I thought that because it cost more than last year's player there was a chance it would be better, but so far I'm being proved wrong.[/quote]

It is better, vast majority of league games live. Shame about tonight but it is on the site that it wouldn't be live.[/quote]

I agree that the offer is way better, but the service is still rubbish. The app says that both video and audio are available for tonight's match - neither work. How is that better?

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 09 Aug 2017 03:56

I got up at 12:30am (my time) to start recording the audio so I could listen to it at a reasonable time for me. Check it this morning, 20 minutes into the recording it stops. Did anyone else suffer the audio stopping and not working? I wish they offered a play-back for the audio, all I can download from the BBC iPlayer is the pre-match. :(

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 10 Aug 2017 06:19

The Gillingham game is up to watch in full now. The sound is as before, just ambient noise, no commentary, it is about 1 second our of sync, and in the second half, keeps dropping in and out every half a second. It's unwatchable with sound. So far, I don't think it's worth £110. It's worth something, but until they fix the bugs and offer proper commentary, it's a waste of money.

78royal

by 78royal » 10 Aug 2017 09:28

Is it possible to pay per game? If so I will try it out for the Fulham match

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Aug 2017 09:33

Rawlie19 The Gillingham game is up to watch in full now. The sound is as before, just ambient noise, no commentary, it is about 1 second our of sync, and in the second half, keeps dropping in and out every half a second. It's unwatchable with sound. So far, I don't think it's worth £110. It's worth something, but until they fix the bugs and offer proper commentary, it's a waste of money.

I really don't think it needs commentary - you don't have commentary at the game itself and I think that is the feel they are going for i.e that you are at the game though you can't be. If they got their own commentators in, they'd need to hire about 40 of them to cover each game, would be a massive overhead and the cost would go up. Not sure the radio commentary would work too well but could be wrong.

Sound needs sorting out though agreed but I've put that down as a teething issue and doesn't make it unwatchable, unless you really concentrate on the fact it is a little out of sync.

For me, it's worth the money - I now have the option to watch my team play live even though I can't get to the game and if I happen to watch all of them it's cost me less than €3 a game to do so. Even if I don't watch each game, I'll probably end up seeing more games live than the majority of fans in the UK, which is great.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 11 Aug 2017 04:20

Stranded
Rawlie19 The Gillingham game is up to watch in full now. The sound is as before, just ambient noise, no commentary, it is about 1 second our of sync, and in the second half, keeps dropping in and out every half a second. It's unwatchable with sound. So far, I don't think it's worth £110. It's worth something, but until they fix the bugs and offer proper commentary, it's a waste of money.

I really don't think it needs commentary - you don't have commentary at the game itself and I think that is the feel they are going for i.e that you are at the game though you can't be. If they got their own commentators in, they'd need to hire about 40 of them to cover each game, would be a massive overhead and the cost would go up. Not sure the radio commentary would work too well but could be wrong.

Sound needs sorting out though agreed but I've put that down as a teething issue and doesn't make it unwatchable, unless you really concentrate on the fact it is a little out of sync.

For me, it's worth the money - I now have the option to watch my team play live even though I can't get to the game and if I happen to watch all of them it's cost me less than €3 a game to do so. Even if I don't watch each game, I'll probably end up seeing more games live than the majority of fans in the UK, which is great.

There is already commentary offered separately! I'd be perfectly happy with the option to turn on/off the BBC Berkshire commentary to go with the video. No need to hire anybody else! What's wrong with this thinking?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Aug 2017 06:47

Guess my thinking is that radio commentary is a different beast to tv commentary but if they can sync it up suitably then why not.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 11 Aug 2017 09:09

78royal Is it possible to pay per game? If so I will try it out for the Fulham match

I think Rawlie pressed the "report post" button instead of the reply button, Here is his reason for reporting the post to moderators!
Rawlie19 Yes. £5 per game I think you'll find.

Click on the dropdown menu for Matches and pick First Team Fixtures, then in the Fulham game panel click on the 'Live on iFollow' link which will take you to the subscribe option.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/ifollow/subscribe/

78royal

by 78royal » 11 Aug 2017 09:45

Thanks Forbury and Rawlie.

Not seeing a subscribe option for the match on the android app but will check nearer the time.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 11 Aug 2017 17:35

Forbury Lion
78royal Is it possible to pay per game? If so I will try it out for the Fulham match

I think Rawlie pressed the "report post" button instead of the reply button, Here is his reason for reporting the post to moderators!
Rawlie19 Yes. £5 per game I think you'll find.

Click on the dropdown menu for Matches and pick First Team Fixtures, then in the Fulham game panel click on the 'Live on iFollow' link which will take you to the subscribe option.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/ifollow/subscribe/

Oops, my bad. In my defense, the buttons are next to each other... :oops:

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 11 Aug 2017 20:37

Now noticed for both the QPR and Gillingham games that I was able to get BBC Berks commentary on digital radio which wasn't the case in previous seasons. Anyone seen if the Beeb now has digital radio rights or something?

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 11 Aug 2017 20:52

Curious to understand why Stam/the club decided not to hold a press conference pre Fulham. Not buying the line, too close to the Gillingham pressie.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 12 Aug 2017 05:21

3points Now noticed for both the QPR and Gillingham games that I was able to get BBC Berks commentary on digital radio which wasn't the case in previous seasons. Anyone seen if the Beeb now has digital radio rights or something?

I noticed this, and think it's probably an error. You have to pay to listen to the games on the website, so they shouldn't also be offering it free on the BBC. But I will take advantage of being able to easily record from BBC audio while it lasts.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Aug 2017 13:36

Rawlie19
Stranded

There is already commentary offered separately! I'd be perfectly happy with the option to turn on/off the BBC Berkshire commentary to go with the video. No need to hire anybody else! What's wrong with this thinking?

I opened the commentary in a second tab for the QPR game. It linked up well enough.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Aug 2017 13:38

Is the Fulham game watchable? Its really not clear. They need to work on this site.

EDIT: It is available to watch. I messaged them.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 12 Aug 2017 13:48

3points Now noticed for both the QPR and Gillingham games that I was able to get BBC Berks commentary on digital radio which wasn't the case in previous seasons. Anyone seen if the Beeb now has digital radio rights or something?

The EFL Cup is always available online. The licensing issues are different for that competition.

Was the QPR game online or on your digital radio/ tv? The games should always be available on digital radio (or on digital tv), that is regional so (in theory) it is available to the same audience as the FM transmitters. The licence restrictions apply to online only.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 12 Aug 2017 14:19

Does the live match not appear until exactly 3pm?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Aug 2017 14:22

Jagermesiter1871 Does the live match not appear until exactly 3pm?

a few minutes before last time.

3140 posts