BFG QPR

101 posts
Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

BFG QPR

by Westwood52 » 30 Mar 2018 21:16

I was on edge from about 30 minutes in & this was just a desperate case of battling through and TBF several players gave it everything. The fault lines are deep and remain; however you cannot fault the effort and fight. I was expecting the worst when I saw Edwards and Joey selected, and wondered if Clement knew enough about us . Our three statues in midfield were in stark contrast to the mobility QPR had. Luckily they had nothing up front or out wide.

IMHO:

Mannone 8: MOM. One top class save, brave and of course the penalty save. Couple of poor clearances, and Moore was clearly the better performer;but hey the three points were down to him.

Gunter 6: The upper end of his performances this season & a couple of very good moments. However never got forward with any conviction.
Tyler 6: Smashed them all day-but a couple of lapses.
Moore 9: Gave it everything.Simply superb.
Ilori 7: Shaky at times, but then dug in 2nd half.

Joey 6: The faults were still there,but could not fault the effort.
Edwards 6: Gave it everything,and out on his feet-hence the lazy tackle for the pen.
Swift 6: Just didn't work for him-and wasn't really a threat. Very unfit, as you would expect.

Alukho 7: After the goal; I thought this is it; this is the game he turns on the full throttle-their LB was in bits-but after that very little.
Martin 7: Best I ve seen him play for us-then tired badly, as you would expect.
Barrow 5: not at his best.

Bacuna: I have said he should always start-but TBF to Clement, he was very poor.
Kermit: No change really.
Evans: Not on long enough to judge-should have been on far sooner.

Ref: Got very little right-apart from the pen and the squeeze on Mannone at a corner. Close to awful-so inconsistent.

Atmosphere was terrific, hugely intense.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFG QPR

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Mar 2018 21:18

Big Friendly Giant? Per Mertesacker? I dont understand.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Mar 2018 21:19

Gotta agree about the atmosphere, the whole place went mental when Mannone saved the penalty.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Mar 2018 21:28

It made me realise how much Stam has sucked out of the atmosphere and team, was a total contrast. We’d have been humped if he was still in charge

Agree mainly with the gist of the ratings. Thought Swift was good though - couple of outstanding set pieces - shame we didn’t get too many. Blackett was great I thought. Really enjoyed his performance

Thought both Martin and Yann were pretty awful though - Yann better than Martin but stupid to give the Ref the chance to send him off

Overall, a lot more fight, a lot more effort and the defending was massively better. QPR looked a good side full of confidence and we kept them at bay pretty much throughout. 27 shots - but only about 5 were anything other than pot shots

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 30 Mar 2018 21:47

Moore outstanding led the team constantly talking plenty of blocks cracking penalty save but i thought Mannone looked very shaky hope that has given him confidence

Pat Butchers Ring

by Pat Butchers Ring » 30 Mar 2018 21:49

Great effort from the team and clearly meant a lot. Great last 10 minutes from the fans and finally the team offered something for us to get behind. Jaap stam take notice give the fans something and they will back you.

That said, we shouldn't get carried away. We clung on against an average lower mid table team. The previous management team have left Clement with a shower of sh ite and despite what our captain says a change HAD to happen.

Hopefully the pressure is off now, this team will limp across the line and should just stay up but with players like Joey VDB we are going down next season. Big changes needed starting with defensive midfielder and dropping our captain.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 30 Mar 2018 21:52

Henley Royal 1 Moore outstanding led the team constantly talking plenty of blocks cracking penalty save but i thought Mannone looked very shaky hope that has given him confidence

He was given instructions. Even ilori looked capable. Great defensive performance.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Mar 2018 21:58

Interesting game, we rode our luck but deserved the points for the spirit we showed.

Two players stood out for similar reasons.

Blackett had an excellent game. He made a couple of mistakes but he was strong, read the game and passed the ball well.

Ilori. Yes Ilori. He actually played like a centre half. Just like Blackett, strong and could read danger before it happened. Some decent interceptions.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Mar 2018 22:02

Thought it was noticeable the crowd really got behind both Aluko and Blackett today as well. Hopefully helped their performances a little

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 30 Mar 2018 22:31

I may have damaged my vocal chords after the penalty save.

Far far far from a great performance but they put their bodies on the line and they were all blowing at the end. Hat's off Mr Clement, that's a sea change in attitude.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Mar 2018 22:34

Great team performance. To be honest the best way to win a game given the current plight as it was a real backs to the wall team effort that earned that bit of luck. Will hopefully instil belief back into the players especially for the remaining home games

One question though, what game was the referee actually refereeing?

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 30 Mar 2018 22:38

Still not quite sure how we won that game but three points is three points and a great team effort overall.

Aluko's goal must be up there with the best ever scored at the Madjeski, certainly for individual goals. I really thought once that had gone in we would go on and make it an easy win but we seemed to get very jittery having taken the lead. The second half was particularly painful, with us surrendering possession at every opportunity and on balance a 1-1 would have been a fair result. If we do stay up this team will need some serious surgery in the summer if we don't want a repeat of this season.

Mannone - 6 mostly for the pen save, though in truth was a poor pen - he looked nervous otherwise and lucky to get away with some poor punches and one horrendously scuffed clearance

Gunter - 7 solid and never stopped running, don't remember any mistakes which is a plus for him

Moore - 8 MOTM so many blocks and was really cajoling the players around him, Blackett in particular, and also the crowd

Illori - 6 some strong tackles but gave the ball away a lot

Blackett - 7 thought he did well, got forward in support when needed and solid in the tackle

Aluko - 6 excellent in the first half and an amazing goal though faded badly in the second

Edwards - 6 penalty apart he was pretty good, dynamic and kept the ball moving

JVDB - 6 worked hard, some strong tackles but always looks limited at this level

Swift - 5 clearly unfit though put in some good set pieces including a corner (possibly a fk) that a QPR defender nearly glanced into their own net

Barrow - 5 did very little of note apart from run down blind alleys

Martin - 4 either unfit or couldn't be bothered, added no attacking threat to the team in any case

Bacuna - 5 meh

Kermorgant - 6 yes he got sent off but at least he was putting himself about and making an effort unlike Martin

Evans - N/A

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Mar 2018 22:40

Sutekh Great team performance. To be honest the best way to win a game given the current plight as it was a real backs to the wall team effort that earned that bit of luck. Will hopefully instil belief back into the players especially for the remaining home games

One question though, what game was the referee actually refereeing?

The one where there were no fouls in the first half and it was cannibal holocaust in the second.

Without the sticking rocks up peoples bums bit, obviously.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Mar 2018 22:47

On paper looked like a Stam starting 11. Though unlike a Stam team. Did for the majority of the time did maintain a better defensive shape.

Criticism of Aluko is in my personal opinion unwarranted. As worked extremely hard the whole of the second half. The fact he was playing so deep was the fact that we had no ability to retain possession and play the game in the QPR half.

Both substitutions were spot on. JVB did wander a little. Giving little central defensive cover. While Martin is lacking match fitness. Which probably explains his on pitch frustration.

You do feel if the management team as a whole is better. Much work to do. Defending better and grinding out results will satisfy me for the remainder of this season.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Mar 2018 22:52

Sounded on the radio like the one difference here was the fight the players suddenly found in them. I wonder how many points this sort of fight is worth in a season. In this game it was probably worth at least 2 if not 3 points.

Well done players, well done Clement, well done Gourlay et al for making the change special well done for the obvious (Aluko for flash of brilliance) and Mannone (for winning us the game).

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Mar 2018 22:53

It’s felt like a Saturday but I knew it can’t have been because we won at home. Loved the passion in the East Stand at the end. That was great to see. Also good to see the passion from the players at the end. The players still switched off badly at times especially just before half time.

Mannone. 7 Two crucial saves but one dreadful punched clearance in the first half
Gunter 5 Gave the opposition winger far too much space and time to deliver crosses
Moore 8 Some crucial blokes and loads of headed-clearances
Illori 7 Much better today
Blackett 7 One terrible clearance in the first half. Otherwise he played well
Van Den Berg 7 Much better today. Did little wrong
Edwards 6 Worked hard but gave away a really poor penalty
Swift 5 Decent first half but faded badly in the second period
Aluko 7 What a stunning goal. Did ok thereafter
Barrow 5 Didn’t get much change out of their defence
Martin 4 Slow and lazy. Please play Smith Mr Clement

Bacuna 5 Didn’t notice him do much
Kermorgant 4 Unlucky to be sent off but the second yellow was avoidable
Evans 5 OK and should have come on earlier

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Mar 2018 23:03

Posted some thoughts on the match thread so will try not to duplicate too much. Much better drive forward... we looked to attack with some urgency and moved the ball up the pitch quickly. And more commitment to the cause.

Mannone - 8 two cracking saves - one for the pen, though a couple of wayward kicks out and a little unconvincing on crosses.
Gunter - 7 most his usual really, slow at throw ins, stands off his man, can be a bit soft in challenge... but better intent going forward, less negative. A good performance
Blackett 8 I may be going overboard here, but he'd been an absolute shambles under Stam recently and that was actually a very good performance, very few errors
Moore 9 MotM blocked virtually everything and didn't fanny about
Ilori 7 harsh with Blackett's score maybe generally all round good
Berg 7 a good performance with few mistakes and a couple of good fouls. He's got one of the best brains for the passing game, shame his body lets him down
Edwards 8 contender for MotM, linked midfield and attack, closed down well, lots of neat touches and turns... Didn't see the pen incident though.
Swift 7 surprisingly committed defending and some neat touches... wasn't helped by the pitch or weather
Barrow 8 always looked a threat but didn't go his way
Aluko 7 this is likely to be controversial and he was certainly much improved and a genuinely top goal. But several times he botched chances to create another and he's the first to stop playing or lose focus. Good defensive work when he wasn't getting frustrated at not getting something right. Like Swift (and Barrow) hampered by the boggy conditions
Martin 6 plugged away, but looked isolated and leaden

Bacuna 7 defended well
Kermorgant 6 unlucky with both cards IMO, more of a nuisance than Martin despite us long having lost momentum.
Evans 6 didn't notice him but we kept the clean sheet si that's good.

Ref -5 awful
Clement 10 couldn't realistically ask for more.

Shouldn't get carried away. We'd have lost that under Stam and not just because he was doing badly. QPR had enough opportunities to win two, maybe three, games and fluffed them all. Nice to get lucky for a change. We showed character and fight. And we'll surely get better.

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 30 Mar 2018 23:05

Still haven't won at home on a Saturday this season - Clement out.

In all seriousness it was a fantastic result, but we did ride our luck at times. QPR could've had at least one or two in the first half, and we offered very little offensively in the second half.

Still, there were obvious signs of improvement which is encouraging considering how little time Clement has had with the team. Lots of very well timed challenges on the ground, as well as not being afraid to kick it upfield instead of nervously passing it across the back four. Also some glimpses of what could be a very good counter-attack with Barrow and Aluko, though it never quite clicked in the final third.

Aluko's goal was superb, certainly the best I've seen at the Madejski for a while - McCleary's vs. Burnely a few years ago is probably the only one I can think of which comes close.

Ilori looked a lot better than usual, and even Blackett was fairly solid (albeit one mistake where he sliced the ball back into our box which forced Mannone into making a save at the feet of one of their strikers). I thought Gunter was superb defensively.

Edwards and Joey both disappointed, the former seemed very off the pace getting caught in possession a few times and the latter still causes my blood pressure to sky rocket every time he goes into a tackle. One of his challenges in the first half would've been more at home in a London Irish game. Yann and Martin were both pretty anonymous during their respective times on the pitch (apart from when Yann was sent off, of course...).

Speaking of the sending off - thought the ref was fine first half but very poor second. Though it did cause the crowd to get a bit animated which was much more enjoyable than usual!

Overall, a very good win which eases the immediate pressure and creates a healthy gap to 22nd, but it probably masked an average performance which we'll need to improve upon in the future.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Mar 2018 23:06

Zip Blackett 7 One terrible clearance in the first half. Otherwise he played well

and

"but a couple of lapses."

and

"made a couple of mistakes but"

3 of the 4 of the reports on TB can't be wrong, he unsurprisingly made noticeable mistakes.

I don't wish to be negative for what was a fantastic fight and result but as always with mistakes in the back they either don't matter or they REALLY matter. I can't stand liabilities in goal or in defence and he clearly is still one. If Clement can iron this out of him I'm sure he'll make a fantastic player as he has many other qualities.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Mar 2018 23:12

CavershamRoyal Still haven't won at home on a Saturday this season - Clement out.

In all seriousness it was a fantastic result, but we did ride our luck at times. QPR could've had at least one or two in the first half, and we offered very little offensively in the second half.

Still, there were obvious signs of improvement which is encouraging considering how little time Clement has had with the team. Lots of very well timed challenges on the ground, as well as not being afraid to kick it upfield instead of nervously passing it across the back four. Also some glimpses of what could be a very good counter-attack with Barrow and Aluko, though it never quite clicked in the final third.

Aluko's goal was superb, certainly the best I've seen at the Madejski for a while - McCleary's vs. Burnely a few years ago is probably the only one I can think of which comes close.

Ilori looked a lot better than usual, and even Blackett was fairly solid (albeit one mistake where he sliced the ball back into our box which forced Mannone into making a save at the feet of one of their strikers). I thought Gunter was superb defensively.

Edwards and Joey both disappointed, the former seemed very off the pace getting caught in possession a few times and the latter still causes my blood pressure to sky rocket every time he goes into a tackle. One of his challenges in the first half would've been more at home in a London Irish game. Yann and Martin were both pretty anonymous during their respective times on the pitch (apart from when Yann was sent off, of course...).

Speaking of the sending off - thought the ref was fine first half but very poor second. Though it did cause the crowd to get a bit animated which was much more enjoyable than usual!

Overall, a very good win which eases the immediate pressure and creates a healthy gap to 22nd, but it probably masked an average performance which we'll need to improve upon in the future.

Kelly’s goal v Derby a few weeks ago was up there with Aluko’s. Surprised you thought Gunter was superb. He gave their wideman all the space in the world.

101 posts