Reading FC Womens World

1862 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Reading FC Womens World

by RoyalBlue » 29 Mar 2018 21:32

Royals and Racers I took a trip over with the grandson to Wycombe last night to see the match against Yeovil- Dave Kitson was there- I`m not sure if he`s involved with coaching the women`s team. Yeovil pointless all season were pretty poor. The Royals were far quicker, controlled the game and fully deserved the win. " Woman of the match " I would give to the Yeovil keeper who had an excellent game.

I was there too. Whilst I spotted Neville Roach, I didn't see Dave Kitson. I'm pretty sure he isn't involved in coaching the women's team.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Mar 2018 21:43

(RoyalBlue) Well, hopefully!

Reading Ladies are very much an under appreciated local jewel....a lot of it due to pure bias.....and ignorance

Bring them back home to Reading....even playing at Scours has to be better?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Apr 2018 15:58

Reading Women doing brilliantly today, 2-0 up away at second place Man City but have had Jo Potter sent off, who, by the sounds of it took one for the team and did a last woman challenge.

Into 6 minutes of added on time.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Apr 2018 16:13

Great stuff. Delighted to see the women’s team doing well

The club set up for women’s football round here is really good as well. The club I coach at has girls teams all the way up to full senior. Aware of a couple of girls who I’m sure have a great chance of making it as a professional

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 01 Apr 2018 17:25

What a win today I would say the best in there short history. 2-0 away to the richest ladies team in Europe! Well done girls.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Apr 2018 18:56

I’m sure I’m not alone in saying that I care little for women’s football; but as an extension of Reading I’m happy when they do well.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Apr 2018 19:49

It’s good for the club and the image of town, so all good by me

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Apr 2018 19:52

Good to hear. If I was still local I think I'd have been going to quite a few academy and ladies games.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 02 Apr 2018 09:33

Snowflake Royal Good to hear. If I was still local I think I'd have been going to quite a few academy and ladies games.

I agree

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 02 Apr 2018 12:06

Do they change the size of the goal...if not then they defo should. The quality of goalkeeping is the real let down in women's football (which is fairly low quality anyway)

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Apr 2018 12:36

Having an excellent season. Considering Man City and Chelsea are head and shoulders above everyone else, they've got a win and 2 draws in their 4 games against them this season.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Apr 2018 15:03

BR0B0T Do they change the size of the goal...if not then they defo should. The quality of goalkeeping is the real let down in women's football (which is fairly low quality anyway)

I do agree that there seems to be a large amount of women goals that go high in the goal that a male keeper would probably save, which you could argue is down to the height disparity of men and women.

I think you'd really have to investigate it first before making such an assumption though.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Apr 2018 15:14

BR0B0T Do they change the size of the goal...if not then they defo should. The quality of goalkeeping is the real let down in women's football (which is fairly low quality anyway)

Speaks an ignorant *rse who probably hasn't watched any WSL games.

I suspect some of those GKs have also got pretty strong punches on them.

tidus_mi2

I do agree that there seems to be a large amount of women goals that go high in the goal that a male keeper would probably save, which you could argue is down to the height disparity of men and women.

I think you'd really have to investigate it first before making such an assumption though.

I think the shortest keeper in the WSL would be about 5'6" so no issue reaching high balls. Yes, they will be beaten by shots into the far top corner but many male keepers are too. Being shorter can also givesyou something of an advantage with lower shots and I suspect during the course of a game there are more of these.

Anyone who ever watched Steve Death play would also realise that short keepers can do OK, even with high shots!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Apr 2018 15:27

RoyalBlue

tidus_mi2

I think the shortest keeper in the WSL would be about 5'6" so no issue reaching high balls. Yes, they will be beaten by shots into the far top corner but many male keepers are too. Being shorter can also givesyou something of an advantage with lower shots and I suspect during the course of a game there are more of these.

Anyone who ever watched Steve Death play would also realise that short keepers can do OK, even with high shots!

Fair enough, I've heard of what Death could do but being 28, I never had the pleasure to see it myself.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 02 Apr 2018 22:23

RoyalBlue

The quality of women's football is not very good...this is fact. The games may be as entertaining as the men's but slightly different issue
Looking forward to Rose Namajunas v Joanna Jedrzejczyk fight at UFC 223 so it's not sexism

Goal size is just down to reality....

- The average female goalkeeper is 5 inches shorter than male counterpart
- Her standing jump is on average 4 inches shorter
- The average arm span is also 4 inches shorter...etc
- There's a reason Steve Death played in Div 3/4

also wtf are you on about with 'hard' punches

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Apr 2018 06:57

BR0B0T
RoyalBlue

The quality of women's football is not very good...this is fact. The games may be as entertaining as the men's but slightly different issue
Looking forward to Rose Namajunas v Joanna Jedrzejczyk fight at UFC 223 so it's not sexism

If it’s not sexism as you claim it can only be put down to an astounding level of ignorance I guess.

What was the average height of males when the goal size was set at the current dimensions?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 03 Apr 2018 10:37

Royal Rother
BR0B0T
RoyalBlue

If it’s not sexism as you claim it can only be put down to an astounding level of ignorance I guess.

What was the average height of males when the goal size was set at the current dimensions?

what is ignorant about it...it's down to facts

I also think kids should play with balls that are relative to their mass/volume/whatevs in comparison to adults...they don't

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Apr 2018 11:57

They do. Thats what the Size 3/4/5 balls are for. So the U6s I coach play with S3 with are considerably smaller than full size

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 03 Apr 2018 13:22

Hound They do. Thats what the Size 3/4/5 balls are for. So the U6s I coach play with S3 with are considerably smaller than full size

sorry should have been a bit more exact...

I did look at this a year or two ago. It seems the football size is arbitrarily smaller rather than in comparison to mass/volume/power/whatevs

Nephew plays for Northern_ireland/Swansea_academy etc so have seen a fair bit of youth coaching

I'm not sure what difference it makes tbh...and I'm basing elements of it on anecdotal memories

I suppose the positives are is that they don't have the 'strength' to play longer passes so can train for more short/accurate game

I watched the Milk Cup youth tournament and one thing that stuck out was they could recognise a good opportunity for a through ball but just didn't have the physical power to deliver it

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 03 Apr 2018 14:03

BR0B0T
RoyalBlue

Hey golden boy, I was lucky enough to watch Steve Death play for us when I first started watching Reading and trust me he was one hell of a goalkeeper... Great agility, fantastic reflexes and despite being in the era when forwards could literally flatten goalkeepers without it being called as a foul, he seemed to have an incredible ability to just rise up and take catch crosses with seeming ease.

Defenders must have loved having him playing behind them.

He was top class and had we risen up the leagues at that time he would have still been in goal!

1862 posts