BFTG - Preston -Home

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Preston -Home

by genome » 07 Apr 2018 21:42

Zip Just one other thing why do the vendors outside the ground insist you can’t take a bottled drink into the stadium with the cap on. They remove the cap before they give you the drink. Ridiculous.

A full bottle with a lid on is quite a good weapon.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 07 Apr 2018 21:43

Zip
Lower West
Zip Kelly has his moments as do Swift and Clement but they are all very inconsistent.

When you consider that they are only 22, 22 and 21 respectively. All 3 can only get better the more games they play. Likwise George Evans who still is only 23. Ideally in the summer we'll recruit an experienced head in the Elphick mould. To provide that much needed level of organisation and leadership to the midfield.

Yep agreed. That’s what we need.

You'd have thought that was the point of Edwards. Hasn't quite worked out that way though.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Apr 2018 21:48

genome Yeah, I liked it. It looked a little odd with just the small number of them, but hopefully it will attract more fans over there the more they do it.

I read something about free beer. Why wasn't this communicated?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Apr 2018 21:49

muirinho
Zip
Lower West

When you consider that they are only 22, 22 and 21 respectively. All 3 can only get better the more games they play. Likwise George Evans who still is only 23. Ideally in the summer we'll recruit an experienced head in the Elphick mould. To provide that much needed level of organisation and leadership to the midfield.

Yep agreed. That’s what we need.

You'd have thought that was the point of Edwards. Hasn't quite worked out that way though.

In fairness to him against QPR you could see him talking to those around him and organising them. He is a little too slow these days. A shame because he has been a decent player.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Apr 2018 21:50

genome
Zip Just one other thing why do the vendors outside the ground insist you can’t take a bottled drink into the stadium with the cap on. They remove the cap before they give you the drink. Ridiculous.

I know but it’s not been a problem at the club before so I’m surprised it’s deemed to be one now.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Apr 2018 21:52

Pepe the Horseman
genome Yeah, I liked it. It looked a little odd with just the small number of them, but hopefully it will attract more fans over there the more they do it.

I read something about free beer. Why wasn't this communicated?

I have already made enquiries for the Sunderland game

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Apr 2018 23:00

Mannone - 7 - Played very well again, he made the saves he needed to and didn't make a mistake in possession that I can recall. Why he was dropped is a real mystery to me. Did he fall out with Stam?

Gunter - 7 - I don't know if I'm imagining it but I think he played better at LB. Played well today which I hate saying.

Moore - 8 - MOTM. I would mark him higher but I have to be honest and say that watching the game I had no idea he won 21 headers and thought Ilori was the better of the pair but the statistics prove me wrong here.

Ilori - 8 - He has become undroppable. Put in some quality work in defense. If we keep these 2 theyll be a hell of a Cb partnership to beat next season.

Richards - 7 - I thought he didnt look out of place and was puzzled by the sub at half time. Anyone got a suggestion why?

Kelly - 7 - Seems to be more confident but was a little wasteful at times which is frustrating to watch.

Bacuna - 7 - Was a bit quiet in the second half when the majority of the attacks were coming down the opposite flank. Probably our best RB...

Swift - 7 - Put in a lot more defensive work than usual so might be looking to add something to his game. The lack of Williams behind him seems to have hampered his effectiveness. I hope he re-finds his form next season (if he stays)

Aluko - 7 - Cunningham did a good job silencing him but he threatened to pull off a quality run or two every now and again.

Barrow - 8 - Hes just super isn't he? I like him. Headbutted a Preston player but didn't get caught so I'm hoping no retrospective ban is on the way.

JDB - 6 - Off pace but just back from injury so can be excused. Chose poor runs often.

Subs:
Clement - 7 - Surprisingly good. Dedicated in defense and somewhat creative on the ball, heavy touch a few times dampened his effectiveness.
Evans - 5 - Meh
Martin - 5 - Double meh.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Apr 2018 23:04

NewCorkSeth Mannone - 7 - Played very well again, he made the saves he needed to and didn't make a mistake in possession that I can recall. Why he was dropped is a real mystery to me. Did he fall out with Stam?

Gunter - 7 - I don't know if I'm imagining it but I think he played better at LB. Played well today which I hate saying.

Moore - 8 - MOTM. I would mark him higher but I have to be honest and say that watching the game I had no idea he won 21 headers and thought Ilori was the better of the pair but the statistics prove me wrong here.

Ilori - 8 - He has become undroppable. Put in some quality work in defense. If we keep these 2 theyll be a hell of a Cb partnership to beat next season.

Richards - 7 - I thought he didnt look out of place and was puzzled by the sub at half time. Anyone got a suggestion why?

Kelly - 7 - Seems to be more confident but was a little wasteful at times which is frustrating to watch.

Bacuna - 7 - Was a bit quiet in the second half when the majority of the attacks were coming down the opposite flank. Probably our best RB...

Swift - 7 - Put in a lot more defensive work than usual so might be looking to add something to his game. The lack of Williams behind him seems to have hampered his effectiveness. I hope he re-finds his form next season (if he stays)

Aluko - 7 - Cunningham did a good job silencing him but he threatened to pull off a quality run or two every now and again.

Barrow - 8 - Hes just super isn't he? I like him. Headbutted a Preston player but didn't get caught so I'm hoping no retrospective ban is on the way.

JDB - 6 - Off pace but just back from injury so can be excused. Chose poor runs often.

Subs:
Clement - 7 - Surprisingly good. Dedicated in defense and somewhat creative on the ball, heavy touch a few times dampened his effectiveness.
Evans - 5 - Meh
Martin - 5 - Double meh.

Richards struggled against Bodin who got in a number of crosses in the first half. He will learn from this and will improve but he looked a little exposed today.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Apr 2018 23:51

(a) They clearly targeted the kid

(b) the winger was strong and powerful

(c) The B didn't always have cover

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 08 Apr 2018 00:02

2 shots on target in 3 games... 6pts

:lol: :lol: :lol:

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 08 Apr 2018 00:14

Welcome back Nigel Gibbs :D

Personally I can see remnants of the style we played in 2012 creeping back in (Get completely outplayed for nearly the entire match but somehow still manage to grab 3pts :lol: )

We are developing a backbone again. No more suicidal pass backs. Purposeful passes and players allowed to express their best attributes.

There's still so much work to do. But it's headed in the right direction.
Last edited by royalp-we on 08 Apr 2018 00:28, edited 1 time in total.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 08 Apr 2018 00:24

RoyalBlue
Westwood52 Gunts 6: Typical performance-technically OK-but still backs off letting numerous crosses get in-never got forward.

If you want to go on a Gunter witch hunt at least try to offer some vaguely credible evidence to support it. It is, of course, complete and utter bollocks to suggest he never got forward today. Nor did he let numerous crosses get in.

:shock: I was screaming at Gunter all second half for repeatedly backing off and letting the crosses come in

I actually thought Richards defended our left better than Gunter and we generally looked more solid first half

Quite enjoyed Clement's performance when he came on. Usually he's featherweight, but he tackled and scrapped and won the ball a lot. Very nice to see.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2018 00:43

John Madejski's Wallet
RoyalBlue
Westwood52 Gunts 6: Typical performance-technically OK-but still backs off letting numerous crosses get in-never got forward.

If you want to go on a Gunter witch hunt at least try to offer some vaguely credible evidence to support it. It is, of course, complete and utter bollocks to suggest he never got forward today. Nor did he let numerous crosses get in.

:shock: I was screaming at Gunter all second half for repeatedly backing off and letting the crosses come in

I actually thought Richards defended our left better than Gunter and we generally looked more solid first half

Quite enjoyed Clement's performance when he came on. Usually he's featherweight, but he tackled and scrapped and won the ball a lot. Very nice to see.

If you go to whoscored.com and select our game, then Bodin and pass accuracy, you can select key passes. All three of his came second half.

You can also go into the chalkboard, select Bodin and look at crosses. Most were second half.

So yeah, the stats would be more in your support than RB's and anyone with eyes knows Gunter rarely gets tight.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 08 Apr 2018 00:52

genome

Perhaps someone should tell the staff inside then. My Diet Coke was served with bottle top intact today.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 08 Apr 2018 01:04

ayjaydee
genome

Perhaps someone should tell the staff inside then. My Diet Coke was served with bottle top intact today.

Yeah I bought a bottle of water and it came with the lid on.

I didn't use it as a missile though, I was thirsty, and I'm not a neanderthal-like pcunt.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 08 Apr 2018 08:32

Snowflake Royal
John Madejski's Wallet
RoyalBlue

If you go to whoscored.com and select our game, then Bodin and pass accuracy, you can select key passes. All three of his came second half.

You can also go into the chalkboard, select Bodin and look at crosses. Most were second half.

So yeah, the stats would be more in your support than RB's and anyone with eyes knows Gunter rarely gets tight.

You don't need to put in crosses if you're being given the freedom of the county to go where you like. Bodin ran rings around Richards and QPRs best chance was a first half shot from him. If Blackett had played like that he'd have been booed off.

Also if you're going to use whoscored stats, maybe you should have a closer look.
Richards (45) Tackles 0. Interceptions 0. Clearances 1

Gunter (90) Tackles 3. Interceptions 3. Clearances 9.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2018 09:06

muirinho
Snowflake Royal
John Madejski's Wallet :shock: I was screaming at Gunter all second half for repeatedly backing off and letting the crosses come in

You don't need to put in crosses if you're being given the freedom of the county to go where you like. Bodin ran rings around Richards and QPRs best chance was a first half shot from him. If Blackett had played like that he'd have been booed off.

Also if you're going to use whoscored stats, maybe you should have a closer look.
Richards (45) Tackles 0. Interceptions 0. Clearances 1

Gunter (90) Tackles 3. Interceptions 3. Clearances 9.

If we were talking about tackles and clearances I might. Incidentally we're talking about Preston not QPR and I most certainly would not have been booing Blackett off.

Also, seeing as we're talking about stats, tackles and interceptions don't measure whether you are getting beaten regularly, "was dribbled" does. FYI, according to the stats neither Richards nor Gunter were. As for tackles and interceptions, Gunter made one second half tackle, not three, and two interceptions.

I think Clement made a good call. Richards was just back from injury and inexperienced and they targetted him. His big problem wasn't playing badly, it was Barrow doing absolutely nothing to help so it was often 2 on 1.

You'll note that Bodin got no more shots away first half than second. If he was going passed Richards with ease as you suggest I'd expect more.

Letting in cross after cross is not really any better than getting beaten repeatedly anyway.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 08 Apr 2018 09:10

Who'd have thought cutting out the suicidal defending would result in us not gifting goals and actually winning games?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2018 09:18

Jagermesiter1871 Who'd have thought cutting out the suicidal defending would result in us not gifting goals and actually winning games?

Who'd have thought stopping asking centre backs to be playmakers would lead to moving the ball forward quicker and fewer mistakes.

The players really let Stam down, there's no way he was telling them to play at walking pace and pass each other into trouble. They had no fight and were just listless and defeated. Three days with Clement and they have a totally different attitude.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Apr 2018 09:21

Zip
genome

I know but it’s not been a problem at the club before so I’m surprised it’s deemed to be one now.

Irritating I know, that’s why I always bring a selection of bottle tops with me.