Summer Transfers

567 posts
Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Summer Transfers

by Royal_jimmy » 07 May 2018 14:13

Who do you think will leave and who would you like us to bring in over the summer?

elrey

Re: Summer Transfers

by elrey » 07 May 2018 15:30

I'd like to sign me, I could do with earning a bit more money, and there doesn't seem to be much chance of doing any worse than the current lot.

The only issue is I'd probably fail the medical, what with doing my ankle in in India and having a dodgy muscle in my right leg. But I'm sure that won't matter either.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 07 May 2018 15:40

Jaakkola and/or Bond will leave (Have Legg, Southwood or Ward in contention; with one being understudy or the number 3 goalkeeper, send one out on loan and have one as the U23s goalkeeper) I would personally promote Southwood if he signs a new contract.

We'll keep Gunter, Obita, Bacuna, Richards and Watson probably as our full backs, could send Watson or Richards out on loan, although I would like to see Watson start ahead of Gunter, nothing personal against Gunter, he just can't stop crosses and I just don't rate him as much as other people do. Can see Tyler Blackett moving on.

Hopefully Ilori and Moore will stay. Ilori could be a great player if coached well. Even though some people want McShane to leave, he'll most likely be at the club next season. Hopefully Andresson and Holmes will get playing time at senior level next season, with Holmes perhaps going out on loan or staying in the U23s. Would like to see Axel as a backup in our first team next season. Gravenberch will move on.

Hopefully Evans stays but it's looking unlikely, I feel like he has something to offer. Also have a feeling Clement may keep JVDB and Edwards although I wouldn't have either of them at the club next season. Kelly and Swift will probably stay. Wieser will probably move on along with Quinn but I would like to see Wieser given a chance in pre season to see what he can do. Pelle Clement might go out on loan. Would like to see Rinomhota given a chance in the first team next season and perhaps start a few games. If I'm being honest, I think the whole midfield needs an overhaul, with more creativity and solidity. We really do need a defensive midfielder or two even with Joey and Evans there, I would sell Van Den Berg and keep Evans. Play Swift or Kelly in a more advanced position to provide creativity, and I would still want another creative centre mid brought in.

Barrow, Harriott and Meite will all be fit and firing in pre season I hope, would love to see Harriott and Meite more, perhaps put one of them on the right wing. Still think Aluko could do well but he needs to recapture his form at Fulham quickly ahead of the new season if he is to change the minds of the fans. I would move McCleary on if possible. Popa will probably leave but I would like to see him in the first team again. Depending on the fitness of Harriott and the possible sale of Popa, we may need to promote Tyler Frost and bring in another winger or two.

Would like to see Bodvarsson, Novakovich, one of Smith/Loader and one or two new strikers come in. Someone pacey perhaps.

So, I would like to see recruitment of:
- 1 X left-back depending if Omar Richards goes out on loan or not
- 1 X centre back - hopefully Elphick - McShane probably won't leave but I don't think he'll be at his best next season, Moore may decide to leave
- 1/2 X defensive mids
- 1 X creative centre mid
- 1/2 X wingers - depending on fitness/sales/loans
- 1/2 X strikers - at least one has to be top quality

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 07 May 2018 16:43

Adam Clayton from Boro...hasnt figured in Pulis's plans...the midfield type that Reading have missed this season..

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 May 2018 16:53

DOYLERSAROYALER Adam Clayton from Boro...hasnt figured in Pulis's plans...the midfield type that Reading have missed this season..

Only if he's still got his beard otherwise I'm out.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 07 May 2018 17:13

Royalwaster
DOYLERSAROYALER Adam Clayton from Boro...hasnt figured in Pulis's plans...the midfield type that Reading have missed this season..

Only if he's still got his beard otherwise I'm out.

Maybe it was the beard that didnt do it for Pulis...still a very under rated midfielder who could do a great job for us...beard or no beard :D

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 07 May 2018 21:44

If we’re raiding Boro for Clayton (and I’m a big fan), then I’d take Rudy Gestede as well to lead our front line

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 08 May 2018 09:33

3points If we’re raiding Boro for Clayton (and I’m a big fan), then I’d take Rudy Gestede as well to lead our front line

Why not just trade their whole team with ours?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 May 2018 09:56

RoyalJones
So, I would like to see recruitment of:
- 1 X left-back depending if Omar Richards goes out on loan or not
- 1 X centre back - hopefully Elphick - McShane probably won't leave but I don't think he'll be at his best next season, Moore may decide to leave
- 1/2 X defensive mids
- 1 X creative centre mid
- 1/2 X wingers - depending on fitness/sales/loans
- 1/2 X strikers - at least one has to be top quality

So more or less a whole new team then.

That not going to happen. Mannone, Gunter, Ilori, Moore, Obita, Swift, Kelly, Evans, Aluko, Bodvarson, Barrow and Bacuna are all good enough to play at this level.

That will be the nucleus of the first team squad. Add on Blackett, Clement, Edwards and van den Berg who can do a job. Add Richards, Watson, Holmes Andreasson, Smith, Rinhomhota and Novakovich who all have first team experience from this season as well as Barrett, Frost, Loader, Southwood and Meite.

Elphick would be a decent signing but we need to abandon the scatter gun approach to recruitment and concentrate on one or two key positions; a mobile box to box midfielder and a decent target man up front. We need a tighter squad, not a revolving door.

More importantly though, most of the problems with this squad are down to conditioning and coaching and that absolutely needs to be sorted out.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 08 May 2018 10:04, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 May 2018 10:03

I agree with those who are saying we don't need a massive overhaul. I think that would be foolish.

We just need to thin out the reserves a bit and release/sell those who aren't good enough - like your Mendes, your Rakels, your Wiesers.
Then we supplement the main squad with a RB to challenge Gunter (as Clement has said), a DM, a striker and maybe a right winger to challenge Aluko (which we may already have in Meite). And if Moore goes, a CB (Elphick would do). 5 signings would be plenty.

The main squad just needed this season to be over. Coming back with a full pre-season and a fresh approach with a new manager, and I don't think we'll struggle like we did this year.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 May 2018 10:53

Seen a rumour about Mason Mount being a target. Not sure we need another lightweight, young midfielder if I am honest. Would much rather we get a couple of fit, experienced enforcers into our midfield to allow Swift/Kelly that extra bit of freedom next season.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 May 2018 10:55

Old Man Andrews Seen a rumour about Mason Mount being a target. Not sure we need another lightweight, young midfielder if I am honest. Would much rather we get a couple of fit, experienced enforcers into our midfield to allow Swift/Kelly that extra bit of freedom next season.

Would agree, but having a quick look at the general consensus about him, he looks much more promising than Swift or Kelly. Apparently he's in the top 10 in the Eredivisie for Key Passes, Crosses, Accurate Crosses, and Accurate Corners. 9 goals, 8 assists.

I imagine we'd be after an enforcer as well.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 May 2018 11:00

genome
Old Man Andrews Seen a rumour about Mason Mount being a target. Not sure we need another lightweight, young midfielder if I am honest. Would much rather we get a couple of fit, experienced enforcers into our midfield to allow Swift/Kelly that extra bit of freedom next season.

Would agree, but having a quick look at the general consensus about him, he looks much more promising than Swift or Kelly. Apparently he's in the top 10 in the Eredivisie for Key Passes, Crosses, Accurate Crosses, and Accurate Corners. 9 goals, 8 assists.

I imagine we'd be after an enforcer as well.

Swift is a concern for me, especially with his fitness track record. I have heard good things about Mount, guessing wages would be faily low too. He can't be on a lot at Chelseas can he? I hope the budget is there for 3 new midfielders, got to try and clear out Edwards, Joey and Evans if we can.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 08 May 2018 11:12

id be disappointed not to see Meite in the side next year

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 May 2018 11:14

Theroyalbox id be disappointed not to see Meite in the side next year

It is probably attitude with him, hopefully he has grown up a bit out on loan this season. Not sure Clement isn't the sort of bloke to put up with one of his players partying all the time and snapchatting whilst driving. There is talent there with Meite, would be a good option off the bench.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 08 May 2018 12:15

As i have stated before, we should be only signing players who would be starting games. I will assume that the budget is only enough for one starting 11 player as prices for any decent champ player is insanely high. With Wolves setting the tone that a throwing money at players gets you promoted, I can see big investments this summer and bloating prices. So the rest will have to be funded by sales, which after this season I dont think anyone will be too bothered about.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 May 2018 12:20

Coppells Lost Coat As i have stated before, we should be only signing players who would be starting games. I will assume that the budget is only enough for one starting 11 player as prices for any decent champ player is insanely high. With Wolves setting the tone that a throwing money at players gets you promoted, I can see big investments this summer and bloating prices. So the rest will have to be funded by sales, which after this season I dont think anyone will be too bothered about.

Wasn't their net spend about the same as ours? I'd say they bought the right players and sold the right players, something we desperately need to do.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 May 2018 12:36

Old Man Andrews
Theroyalbox id be disappointed not to see Meite in the side next year

It is probably attitude with him, hopefully he has grown up a bit out on loan this season. Not sure Clement isn't the sort of bloke to put up with one of his players partying all the time and snapchatting whilst driving. There is talent there with Meite, would be a good option off the bench.

Trouble for Yakou is, Clement didn't sign him. He might not fancy him.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 08 May 2018 12:39

Old Man Andrews
Coppells Lost Coat As i have stated before, we should be only signing players who would be starting games. I will assume that the budget is only enough for one starting 11 player as prices for any decent champ player is insanely high. With Wolves setting the tone that a throwing money at players gets you promoted, I can see big investments this summer and bloating prices. So the rest will have to be funded by sales, which after this season I dont think anyone will be too bothered about.

Wasn't their net spend about the same as ours? I'd say they bought the right players and sold the right players, something we desperately need to do.

Wasn't it spread over the 3 years relating to FFP.
I believe it is the loans they had got had silly money to buy clauses in them.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 08 May 2018 14:24

genome I agree with those who are saying we don't need a massive overhaul. I think that would be foolish.

for me its not just important to swap poor players for better players, but its also very important to bring enough in so that the pervading feeling within the squad isn't all about this seasons abject failure and terrible performances.

567 posts