From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: RUMOUR - David Meyler

by From Despair To Where? » 22 May 2018 06:46

TiagoIlori
muirinho
TiagoIlori Average player

Average for what?

In the last 6 years he's had two promotions from the Championship, 3 seasons in the PL (two relegations), one FA Cup Final. That's actually pretty decent for a Championship player.

That also doesn’t stop them from being average. He was awful last season

Are we talking regular awful or Edwards/van den Berg awful?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 May 2018 09:57

TiagoIlori
muirinho
TiagoIlori Average player

Average for what?

In the last 6 years he's had two promotions from the Championship, 3 seasons in the PL (two relegations), one FA Cup Final. That's actually pretty decent for a Championship player.

He isn't average. But what would you know with a username like that

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 22 May 2018 10:15

Snowflake Royal
muirinho Like the sound of this, won't set the world alight, but is a good defensive midfielder. I wonder would he do any EASports related stuff?

Obviously I approve on Nationality grounds also, with Stephen Quinn leaving, and Liam Kelly backing off from international football, the Irish representation at the Mad Stad is getting a bit low, and could do with a boost.

Getting in solid Championship players on free transfers to bolster the squad hopefully means the transfer budget is being saved for a decent striker.

So long as it's not all blown on the usual - somebody who was a decent striker before they arrived at Reading, and will be a decent striker after they leave Reading, but can't hit a cows arse with a banjo while actually at Reading.

As an aside, pretty sure he has filled in at right-back before. So another little chink of light there for Ian Royal?

Say no to 'players filling in' as a plan.

Filing in when needed as a last resort is not the end of the world. Remember when Gunnarsson filled in at RB and set the world alight.
But I agree why do we need to get players who can play in several positions?

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 22 May 2018 12:25

From Despair To Where?
TiagoIlori
muirinho
Average for what?

Are we talking regular awful or Edwards/van den Berg awful?

Regular awful, couldn’t even get into Hull’s team. Really don’t understand why so many people seem to be creaming themselves over him when we can get better.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 22 May 2018 12:26

John Smith
TiagoIlori
muirinho
Average for what?

He couldn’t get into Hull’s team last season fella, if you think he’s going to improve the team you couldn’t be anymore wrong.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 22 May 2018 13:02

TiagoIlori
John Smith
TiagoIlori That also doesn’t stop them from being average. He was awful last season

He couldn’t get into Hull’s team last season fella, if you think he’s going to improve the team you couldn’t be anymore wrong.

Wonder how he managed to score 5 goals and get 2 assists while not in the team. 5 goals would have put him joint-third in our team, alongside Liam Kelly. In less games.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 May 2018 13:24

muirinho
TiagoIlori
John Smith He isn't average. But what would you know with a username like that

Wonder how he managed to score 5 goals and get 2 assists while not in the team. 5 goals would have put him joint-third in our team, alongside Liam Kelly. In less games.

25 league games for Hull last year, experienced international, still got a good few years left in him, on a free, count me in.

Plus he has the same birthday as me :D

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 May 2018 13:29

TiagoIlori He couldn’t get into Hull’s team last season fella, if you think he’s going to improve the team you couldn’t be anymore wrong.

Really, really poor posting 'fella'.

He's probably sick of Adkins

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 22 May 2018 13:50

The way I see it is, would you rather see Joey, Edwards or Meyler on the team sheet? My choice would be Meyler.
Its not the perfect fit for our needs but surely the type of player we should be looking at. Would rather spend out and get a better CM though.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 22 May 2018 14:25

Good reviews from the hull fans (admittedly I only read the first few)

https://www.not606.com/threads/meyler-to-do-one.358948/

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 May 2018 15:43

Read a couple of pages, looks good

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 22 May 2018 16:17

Hound Read a couple of pages, looks good

And he apparently thinks Adkins is a knob, so he must be a good guy.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 22 May 2018 16:50

muirinho
TiagoIlori
John Smith He isn't average. But what would you know with a username like that

Pretty sure majority have been in the start of the season, stats don’t even mean anything anyway, if you’re judging on players with goals you may as well have said this time last year that Edwards is better than Williams because he scored more goals.

Re: Hull forum, it’s a mixed bag. They’re very split on him, especially on the latter pages, Dave Edwards 2.0

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 May 2018 17:32

I see this as a realistic signing for where we are right now. Next season surely has to be about consolidation around mid table. Meyler would be a signing reflective of that. He is a decent Championship midfielder. He will do a job for us and is a slight upgrade on what we currently have.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 May 2018 18:00

Coppells Lost Coat The way I see it is, would you rather see Joey, Edwards or Meyler on the team sheet? My choice would be Meyler.
Its not the perfect fit for our needs but surely the type of player we should be looking at. Would rather spend out and get a better CM though.

Given Edwards and Berg fulfill different roles, it's strange to be asking whether you'd prefer them or Meyler. Edwards did not play as a DM most times I saw him.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 23 May 2018 08:37

Snowflake Royal
Coppells Lost Coat The way I see it is, would you rather see Joey, Edwards or Meyler on the team sheet? My choice would be Meyler.

Given Edwards and Berg fulfill different roles, it's strange to be asking whether you'd prefer them or Meyler. Edwards did not play as a DM most times I saw him.

Do all 3 play in central roles in midfield?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 May 2018 09:00

TiagoIlori
muirinho
TiagoIlori He couldn’t get into Hull’s team last season fella, if you think he’s going to improve the team you couldn’t be anymore wrong.

Pretty sure majority have been in the start of the season, stats don’t even mean anything anyway, if you’re judging on players with goals you may as well have said this time last year that Edwards is better than Williams because he scored more goals.

Re: Hull forum, it’s a mixed bag. They’re very split on him, especially on the latter pages, Dave Edwards 2.0

He was a regular until Adkins came in there but came back in to the side toward the end of the season. Seems to be a case that Adkins didn't rate him or he didn't fit into the style that he wanted to play, if so makes sense that he isn't offered a new deal.

This would by no means be a "wow" signing but a solid midfielder at peak age for low risk, which given we have to assume we will look to move on some of our exisiting midfielders makes sense and saves budget for us to use elsewhere.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 May 2018 13:27

Coppells Lost Coat
Snowflake Royal

Do all 3 play in central roles in midfield?

Well, yeah, if you want to be over simplistic. But it's pretty clear Edwards and Berg hage different responsibilities when playing.

If you want to be that basic, I'd rather have Bacuna or Kelly than any of them.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 May 2018 07:57

Snowflake Royal Well, yeah, if you want to be over simplistic. But it's pretty clear Edwards and Berg hage different responsibilities when playing.

Yeah, Edwards runs around and Joey kicks things whereas Meyer can run around AND kick things.

I get your point that they are all very different players but I see it as a Moneyball situation. We need to streamline the squad. Meyler offers more and is 4 years younger.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 May 2018 08:47

only issue there of course is that both Edwards and Joey are still in contract.

Would happily see them both leave in the summer if there are any takers