CONFIMRED - David Meyler

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - David Meyler

by linkenholtroyal » 05 Jun 2018 22:46

Lower West Another free transfer. Another strong character. A known quantity. Not some foreign hopefull. Solid business.

+1 early business, solid players and money left for more expensive positions, keep Moore, sign baldock and another striker and this could be a very good season.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jun 2018 22:53

Has his own YouTube channel as well, all about FIFA 18

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: CONFIMRED - David Meyler

by Platypuss » 05 Jun 2018 23:54

genome @SportsPeteO
Reading eye move for former Hull City midfielder David Meyler on a free transfer. #readingfc #hcafc

From the same chap who called the Yiadom transfer.

Pretty damn good hit rate.
#ITK

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Jun 2018 00:02

Platypuss
genome @SportsPeteO
Reading eye move for former Hull City midfielder David Meyler on a free transfer. #readingfc #hcafc

#ITK

Yeah. Pretty sure HITC were considered one of the nonsense websites but they've improved a lot

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 06 Jun 2018 18:26

I see alot of people talking about his 'character'. Any specific evidence of this?

I look at his twitter and see a fifa playing youtuber engaging with trolls.

I google david meyler and character and get stories about Willian psyching him out.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/02/16/willian- ... a-7319694/

Anyone??

Za Vas

by Za Vas » 06 Jun 2018 19:22

royal_rumble I see alot of people talking about his 'character'. Any specific evidence of this?

I look at his twitter and see a fifa playing youtuber engaging with trolls.

I google david meyler and character and get stories about Willian psyching him out.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/02/16/willian- ... a-7319694/

Anyone??

He's got a bit of fight about him and I think we need that. Over the past two seasons once we'd let a goal heads dropped and we would collapse - Ipswich being a prime example of that.

IMO its a good bit of business. Im happy with Yiadom and trying to see the sense in the O'shea deal too. Overall, a good start to the summer.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Jun 2018 09:05

happy with this one too. exactly what was needed.

looks like clement has correctly identified the gaps/weaknesses of our squad and is working quickly to fix them, without breaking the bank, so we can hopefully have some money to spend on a half decent striker

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Jun 2018 09:51

Maneki Neko happy with this one too. exactly what was needed.

looks like clement has correctly identified the gaps/weaknesses of our squad and is working quickly to fix them, without breaking the bank, so we can hopefully have some money to spend on a half decent striker

Agree with this. In Kelly, Swift, Barrow, Bacuna, Aluko and Popa we have flair and creativity but there's no steel or solidity. Good, low risk signing and it may give Evans a new lease of life.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jun 2018 10:05

From Despair To Where?
Maneki Neko happy with this one too. exactly what was needed.

Agree with this. In Kelly, Swift, Barrow, Bacuna, Aluko and Popa we have flair and creativity but there's no steel or solidity. Good, low risk signing and it may give Evans a new lease of life.

think the only new lease of life it will give Evans is at another club. I think Meyler/Bacuna sounds like a solid midfield pairing

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jun 2018 10:07

Maybe he's signing all these Irish players to convince future England star Liam Kelly to play for Ireland to increase his profile/experience/market value.

3 frees and all arguably important.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 Jun 2018 10:53

genome
Platypuss
genome @SportsPeteO

#ITK

Yeah. Pretty sure HITC were considered one of the nonsense websites but they've improved a lot

HITC are a nonsense website. But Pete retains a LOT of links from his days at Sky. His hit rate for Reading is well beyond most other clubs.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jun 2018 10:56

Pete is quality as is Alan Nixon. Only two I follow on Twitter. I follow Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee from the Chronicle but I am not sure they can be considered legitimate reporters.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Jun 2018 11:46

maffff
genome
Platypuss
#ITK

HITC are a nonsense website. But Pete retains a LOT of links from his days at Sky. His hit rate for Reading is well beyond most other clubs.

So by extension HITC are no longer nonsense

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 Jun 2018 12:31

genome
maffff
genome

So by extension HITC are no longer nonsense

Yes, although looking at many of the articles on their site there's still plenty of nonsense. They love pulling tweets out from fans and make whole articles on whether people are happy/moaning about signings or rumours.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Jun 2018 12:46

Royalwaster
2 world wars, 1 world cup I don't know how good this guy is but pleeeeeeease let's not repeat Stam's error of believing ten 1/10 players is the same as one 10/10 player!

He brought in so many average midfielders but seemingly forgot we can only play a certain number at a time.

*If* (and I don't know) he's no better than what we have then as has been suggested let's please aim higher if we need yet another midfielder that is.

This guy is a DM and exactly the kind of player we need - hope I'll never see Joey in a Reading shirt again.

Agreed.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 07 Jun 2018 12:57

Royalwaster This guy is a DM and exactly the kind of player we need - hope I'll never see Joey in a Reading shirt again.

Yes. Very good posting from you there

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Jun 2018 15:25

royal_rumble I see alot of people talking about his 'character'. Any specific evidence of this?

You don't make someone Captain of the Republic of Ireland Team without having certain qualities.

Last year far too often. We looked totally bereft of fight.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 11 Jun 2018 12:58

Lower West

You don't make someone Captain of the Republic of Ireland Team without having certain qualities.

What qualities would those be?

Frankly dubious about the significance of captaincy - it's not like cricket where they have a big say in what's going on. Often I think a captain is chosen based as much on their ability to deal with media duties and representing the club, and their ability to get on with fellow-players and management as anything on the pitch.

So, he may well have "character" and "leadership", which we need. But his having been captain doesn't show that, one way or another.
It may show he's articulate, not likely to do mad stuff, and his fellow pros don't hate him,
OR it's recognition of seniority or worth to the team.
OR he's too important to lose and is given the captaincy to keep him sweet.
OR he's so contemptuous of anybody he regards as inferior you couldn't get him on the pitch with a captain he didn't regard as good enough (Roy Keane springs to mind!)

I like David Meyler, and I think he's a welcome addition to the club. But I've got no idea whether he has, or has not, qualities that would prevent major mid-game meltdowns. Plenty on here would have thought both Elphick and Moore do, but it didn't help for Ipswich.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Jun 2018 13:14

muirinho
Lower West

What qualities would those be?

Frankly dubious about the significance of captaincy - it's not like cricket where they have a big say in what's going on. Often I think a captain is chosen based as much on their ability to deal with media duties and representing the club, and their ability to get on with fellow-players and management as anything on the pitch.

So, he may well have "character" and "leadership", which we need. But his having been captain doesn't show that, one way or another.
It may show he's articulate, not likely to do mad stuff, and his fellow pros don't hate him,
OR it's recognition of seniority or worth to the team.
OR he's too important to lose and is given the captaincy to keep him sweet.
OR he's so contemptuous of anybody he regards as inferior you couldn't get him on the pitch with a captain he didn't regard as good enough (Roy Keane springs to mind!)

I like David Meyler, and I think he's a welcome addition to the club. But I've got no idea whether he has, or has not, qualities that would prevent major mid-game meltdowns. Plenty on here would have thought both Elphick and Moore do, but it didn't help for Ipswich.

What qualities did that multi-capped Welsh International Chris Gunter bring to the party as captain?
Like you, I have no issue with the signing but I do feel that captaincy in football is grossly over-rated by fans and generally they don't do much more than deal with the toss at the start of a game.
There are exceptions but IMHO not many.
BTW isn't Meyler the one who got in an altercation with Pardew?
Not sure what that means-is he a hot-headed Irishman or just an ordinary guy, who like most of us, would happily chin our smug ex-,manager?.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Jun 2018 13:15

Spoke to my friend back in Cork this weekend who has a fair amount of footballing contacts. He said Meyler isn't well liked by a lot of people. Arrogant and "a dick".

I'm pretty sure he was made captain for 1 game right?