England’s World Cup Finals 2018

329 posts
bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: England’s World Cup Finals 2018

by bobby1413 » 08 Jul 2018 13:42

Hoop Blah Just a thought, but imagine how potent going forward we could be IF the likes of Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley and Sturridge were fit, in form and bought into this sides structure and work ethic.

Are you mental? It was players like those that has been England's downfall for years and years.

If they were all 100% fit I'd still leave them at home.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jul 2018 14:01

Agree in the case of Lallana and Ox, Hoop. Not sure about Barkley, but no chance Sturridge.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 08 Jul 2018 15:11

https://mobile.twitter.com/itvfootball/ ... frame.html

If this doesn’t make you happy, you’re dead inside.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Jul 2018 01:52

I honestly can’t get over what’s happening at the moment. I’m so overwhelmed my eyes water randomly at times, even discussing us in this way is such a weirdly surreal experience, my whole life we’ve always been mediocre underachieving overpaid under delivering shite and we’re an incredible country who deserves so, so much more than what’s it had. This is the furtherst we’ve got in my life time and I believe, I genuinely believe. There’s a modest arrogance to this squad. Excuse the contradiction but I think they are 100% confident in themselves and their abilities. Southgate has instilled a calm and determined attitude which runs deep through this team. The players look like they care, they look like they’re good enough, they know they are and they want it. I can’t explain the feeling and even though I’ve been singing it for weeks, I think, for the first time, I genuinely truly believe it.

ICH.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 09 Jul 2018 08:58

Crikey! This BBC montage video of the Colombia penalties mixed in with all our other penalty shootout failures over the has just had me crying like a dickhead. The music is England by The National. Just wonderful stuff. ICH

https://youtu.be/X559KTOhGHs

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 09 Jul 2018 09:01

Was difficult for me to get engaged with the game on Saturday, just because it felt so comfortable. never really felt threatened, scored at the right times, controlled the game.

it was a most un-england like performance, only further underlining the FACT that its obviously coming home.
that said we are definitely not exactly a well oiled machine as yet, plenty to improve upon, and id really like to see a couple of changes in midfield,but they probably wont happen without injury.

Certainly didn't see much to fear in Croatia in the other game either. they've got a cracking midfield, and it will be our first real test against a team with genuine quality, so it will be tight and a 50/50 game, but its not as though theyre streets ahead of us or anything.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Jul 2018 09:27

Scutterbucketz Crikey! This BBC montage video of the Colombia penalties mixed in with all our other penalty shootout failures over the has just had me crying like a dickhead. The music is England by The National. Just wonderful stuff. ICH

That is a thing of beauty.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Jul 2018 09:43

Maneki Neko Was difficult for me to get engaged with the game on Saturday, just because it felt so comfortable. never really felt threatened, scored at the right times, controlled the game.

Bang on. I didn't feel anywhere near the high that I did after the Colombia game. I wasn't nervous before the match, during the match, there was maybe a 5-10 minute period in the 2nd half where Pickford made some cracking saves that I felt a little twitchy, other than that, no.

That's not to say I wasn't buzzing, but that Colombia game was something else entirely

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 09 Jul 2018 09:48

Stranded
Scutterbucketz Crikey! This BBC montage video of the Colombia penalties mixed in with all our other penalty shootout failures over the has just had me crying like a dickhead. The music is England by The National. Just wonderful stuff. ICH

That is a thing of beauty.

I’ve watched it 3 times and cried every time. It’s wonderful editing to fit so much pain and joy into one 2 minute video. ICH

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 09 Jul 2018 09:57

What a team these bunch of players are, it's going to be so surreal going back to club football, especially if they go all the way... I would applaud each and everyone of them if they ever came down to Reading to play

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Jul 2018 10:03

Brilliant and it confirms two things, it's definitely coming home (natch) and the BBC should be the only channel allowed to show important world cup matches

ICH

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Jul 2018 10:04

Theroyalbox What a team these bunch of players are, it's going to be so surreal going back to club football, especially if they go all the way... I would applaud each and everyone of them if they ever came down to Reading to play

IF we win it I hope the FA do something like putting the World Cup trophy on tour around all the English league grounds and as many non-league as possible. Get the trophy on display on a Saturday morning before a game so the public can come along and have their photos taken with it etc. Would be amazing.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 09 Jul 2018 10:15

Theroyalbox What a team these bunch of players are, it's going to be so surreal going back to club football, especially if they go all the way... I would applaud each and everyone of them if they ever came down to Reading to play

It’s strange to think that they’ll be as revered as players such as Gordon Banks, Geoff Hurst, the Charltons and Bobby Moore etc etc; players who were well before my time but who have always held a god like status in my mind. But I’m totally fine with that. ICH

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Jul 2018 10:33

Scutterbucketz

It’s strange to think that they’ll be as revered as players such as Gordon Banks, Geoff Hurst, the Charltons and Bobby Moore etc etc; players who were well before my time but who have always held a god like status in my mind. But I’m totally fine with that. ICH

I was thinking about that the other day, maybe promoted by Southgate’s comments on this potentially being even bigger than ‘66 because of the media and social media these days.

It got me thinking though, as much those players are rightly idolised, how many of the general public would know who you meant if you asked them who Ray Wilson, George Cohen or Roger Hunt were? I’d guess most wouldn’t have a clue and many might not even know of Martin Peters, Nobby Stiles or Jackie Charlton.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Jul 2018 10:58

Maneki Neko Was difficult for me to get engaged with the game on Saturday, just because it felt so comfortable. never really felt threatened, scored at the right times, controlled the game.

Yeah, this. I watched it in The Rose & Thistle, and whilst the pub went berserk for both goals, the final whistle was greeted with a mild 'waheeeey', the sort you get at the end of a routine home win.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 09 Jul 2018 11:28

Sanguine

Yeah, this. I watched it in The Rose & Thistle, and whilst the pub went berserk for both goals, the final whistle was greeted with a mild 'waheeeey', the sort you get at the end of a routine home win.

Id take that any day over the Columbian heart attack!

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Jul 2018 11:45

Scutterbucketz

Imagine adding Ashley Young to that list :lol:

ICH

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 09 Jul 2018 11:52

I'd commit the name Nick Pope to memory ready for quiz answers in a decade's time.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 09 Jul 2018 12:07

Hoop Blah
Scutterbucketz

I was thinking about that the other day, maybe promoted by Southgate’s comments on this potentially being even bigger than ‘66 because of the media and social media these days.

It got me thinking though, as much those players are rightly idolised, how many of the general public would know who you meant if you asked them who Ray Wilson, George Cohen or Roger Hunt were? I’d guess most wouldn’t have a clue and many might not even know of Martin Peters, Nobby Stiles or Jackie Charlton.

Terry Paine, George Eastham & Albert Wilson

yeah I made the last one up

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jul 2018 14:24

Ron Springett

329 posts