Season 2018/2019

271 posts
muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Season 2018/2019

by muirinho » 17 Jul 2018 09:23

Hound I think we'd all like to see some wins, or at least good performances in the last couple of games of pre-season

Sounds like (and this is a good thing) that PC has been working them very hard in pre-season. Some of the results have been down to doing a full week of hard training then straight into the game. As we get closer to the season, I'm sure the intensity of the training will ease off a little so they can properly prepare for each match

Yep, the only game so far that they didn't have intense training beforehand was Fulham, where they acquitted themselves reasonably well.

Game against Besiktas this afternoon follows on from a morning training session, so again, would imagine there'll be heavy legs out there. This season, these pre-season games seem to be an extension of training, trying out the new formations/tactics in a match situation.

TheSpread

by TheSpread » 17 Jul 2018 09:39

NewCorkSeth
TheSpread It's all about getting a winning momentum into the season. We haven't won yet.........

I don't nessecarily agree with that. It's a new manager doing his first pre season. It's about getting his tactics across and ensuring the players are fit for the season.

Is there any evidence that teams who win their pre season games do better over the course of a season?

Let's not forget he's been in charge since the 21st March. Head start.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Jul 2018 09:42

TheSpread
NewCorkSeth
TheSpread It's all about getting a winning momentum into the season. We haven't won yet.........

I don't nessecarily agree with that. It's a new manager doing his first pre season. It's about getting his tactics across and ensuring the players are fit for the season.

Is there any evidence that teams who win their pre season games do better over the course of a season?

I don't think 6 games of a relegation fight count as a head start. More of a hindrance than anything.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Jul 2018 10:17

NewCorkSeth
TheSpread
NewCorkSeth I don't nessecarily agree with that. It's a new manager doing his first pre season. It's about getting his tactics across and ensuring the players are fit for the season.

I don't think 6 games of a relegation fight count as a head start. More of a hindrance than anything.

How is it a hindrance? At the very least have had an opportunity to see the state of the team in competitive play and therefore have a better idea of what is needed moving into the transfer window and the new season.

Not saying it was ideal “preparation” but certainly wouldn’t have hurt - unless of course the whole experience sucked what moral he had out of him and will now depressingly meander along losing most games with the occasional draw interspersed, until he gets the sack.

Suppose that’s possible too :lol:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Jul 2018 10:46

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth
TheSpread

How is it a hindrance? At the very least have had an opportunity to see the state of the team in competitive play and therefore have a better idea of what is needed moving into the transfer window and the new season.

Not saying it was ideal “preparation” but certainly wouldn’t have hurt - unless of course the whole experience sucked what moral he had out of him and will now depressingly meander along losing most games with the occasional draw interspersed, until he gets the sack.

False opinions on players ability or leadership could be formed during a negative part of the season, players opinions on his ability could be formed based on those games, his vision could be blurred by what he saw at our lowest point in recent years..
I don't know is the actual answer but starting with a clean slate would probably have been better and that's hard to do in the circumstances of his appointment.

TheSpread

by TheSpread » 17 Jul 2018 11:12

NewCorkSeth
TheSpread
NewCorkSeth I don't nessecarily agree with that. It's a new manager doing his first pre season. It's about getting his tactics across and ensuring the players are fit for the season.

Clement would have had plenty of time to assess the squad in that time. Should stand us in good stead for the start of the season and hopefully we'll pick up form earlier than we would have done had he come in the close season.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Jul 2018 12:11

NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth I don't think 6 games of a relegation fight count as a head start. More of a hindrance than anything.

False opinions on players ability or leadership could be formed during a negative part of the season, players opinions on his ability could be formed based on those games, his vision could be blurred by what he saw at our lowest point in recent years..
I don't know is the actual answer but starting with a clean slate would probably have been better and that's hard to do in the circumstances of his appointment.

I can certainly see that side of the argument, but in the spirit of this hypothetical over analysis do you not think it would be more beneficial to theoretically underestimate/underrate a player (who may be playing below par) than if it was the opposite situation and then go into the new season with a crap player who played well above this level for a bit.

As it is I think the vast majority of the players put in consistent performances that we’ve come to expect from them. Kelly and Swift the two biggest exceptions although the latter’s overall performances have seldom inspired despite important contributions.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Jul 2018 13:50

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal

I can certainly see that side of the argument, but in the spirit of this hypothetical over analysis do you not think it would be more beneficial to theoretically underestimate/underrate a player (who may be playing below par) than if it was the opposite situation and then go into the new season with a crap player who played well above this level for a bit.

As it is I think the vast majority of the players put in consistent performances that we’ve come to expect from them. Kelly and Swift the two biggest exceptions although the latter’s overall performances have seldom inspired despite important contributions.

Fair point and I take it. I was trying to come up with things that support my unfounded opinion that a manager starting fresh in the summer would have a better chance than one who starts late in a relegation battle.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Jul 2018 18:30

NewCorkSeth

I can buy that. Except that, if we won all our pre-season games, and scored lots of goals, with lots of shots on target, would we be saying the games don't matter and mean nothing? :wink:

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Jul 2018 18:54

NewCorkSeth

I don't think 6 games of a relegation fight count as a head start. More of a hindrance than anything.[/quote]

Learnt a lot about the mentality of the players in that period. The number of red cards for example...... Those that battled and those that went awol.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Jul 2018 19:31

Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner I really fear for us this season. I feel uninspired by the signings so far and I'm not really a fan of Clement. I think the poor performances will continue as will the dull football.I hope I'm wrong.

Christ, if you can't go into a new season with optimism and enthusiasm, giving everyone a chance to prove themselves, I think you should probably give up on football. You're going to be unbearable during the season if things don't get off to a good start if you already feel like that.

Snowflake, I was unbearable when he was appointed apparently. As I've said before I would love to see him to do well but I'm struggling to. I saw first hand what he did at Swansea, yeah we al know he saved a decent side from relegation, but that summer he made them worse. They came out the following season and were boring, dull and 4 points adrift at the bottom when he was sacked. They went down. This bloke seriously worries me. But don't worry I'll keep me gob shut and I'll support the lads to the hilt as always and hope we are a million miles from where we are at the end of last season.
Last edited by Ascotexgunner on 17 Jul 2018 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Jul 2018 19:35

Losing to Besiktas, its gloom and doom on twitter already.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Jul 2018 19:51

windermereROYAL Losing to Besiktas, its gloom and doom on twitter already.

Just scored a late consolation to make it 2-1. Smith. 5 minutes left.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Jul 2018 19:57

Last minute equaliser. 2-2. McNulty bags his first for the club.

Rubin Kazan next up. k.o. 4pm BST on Friday. Live on BBC Berks.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Jul 2018 20:03

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth

I can buy that. Except that, if we won all our pre-season games, and scored lots of goals, with lots of shots on target, would we be saying the games don't matter and mean nothing? :wink:

Another fair point. I am firmly in the "friendlies results don't matter a jot" camp but there are many who probably put great stock in them.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 17 Jul 2018 20:40

Tilehurstsouthbank
Reading4eva My predictions for what it's worth:

1. Sheffield Wednesday
2. West Bromwich Albion
3. Stoke City
4. Nottingham Forest
5. Middlesbrough
6. Millwall

17. Reading

21. Blackburn Rovers
22. Sheffield United
23. Hull City
24. Aston Villa

Either a massive WUM or complete Fcukwitt. Difficult to work out which.

What makes my prediction any less than yours? It's a prediction nothing more. That in turn makes you the massive fcukwitt

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jul 2018 20:42

Sutekh Last minute equaliser. 2-2. McNulty bags his first for the club.

Rubin Kazan next up. k.o. 4pm BST on Friday. Live on BBC Berks.

Can very much see the team PC is looking at to start the season

Meite is the one that interests me - 4 games in a row up front, and whilst he hasn’t scored, he sounds like he has been pretty good

Good to see McNulty get a goal. Beşiktaş has a decent side out as well

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jul 2018 20:43

NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal

Another fair point. I am firmly in the "friendlies results don't matter a jot" camp but there are many who probably put great stock in them.

I think what you want to see is the side gearing up for the season and clear tactics in place. I think we’ve done that so far, and this feels a lot different to the shambles of last preseason

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Jul 2018 20:58

Hound
Sutekh Meite is the one that interests me - 4 games in a row up front, and whilst he hasn’t scored, he sounds like he has been pretty good

Played well on Saturday. Perhaps one of Stam's speculative purchases will come good. Be interesting to see him play with Bod.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Jul 2018 21:02

Hound
NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal

I think what you want to see is the side gearing up for the season and clear tactics in place. I think we’ve done that so far, and this feels a lot different to the shambles of last preseason

Maybe, but if we continually - and entirely - compare something to a 'shambles', then you are always going to come up smelling like roses. Being 'better than last pre-season' has it's limitations as a useful metric. What is more relevant, is how we compare, both now and going forward, to our peers in this division currently, and that's ultimately what we will be judged by.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 17 Jul 2018 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

271 posts