266 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Derby County (h) sponsored by a new hope

by Royal Rother » 04 Aug 2018 21:19

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Yeah ok... I guess that means Michael Owen is actually a genius pundit.

Mick Gooding played intelligently in midfield for years, one of the best for Reading. He's managed at Championship level and has been a co-commentator on Reading for about a decade.
He's good at his job, insightful and knowledgeable. Of course, he's not perfect and he may occasionally get things wrong.

In comparison, I'm struggling to think of anything you've got going for you. You're certainly not right about how we're playing and the qualities of the various players as much as Gooding. Though I'll concede you're not as bad as Dellor.

From my quick re-reading of your BFTG there wasnt too much different in our opinions but thats not a surprise as it was fairly obvious how the players performed so I'm not getting your attack on my opinions. I'm not paid to do it.

I may be in the minority here but I dont think he is good at his job. He is slow to respond to questions, often gives no insight beyond a vague or boring statement (like when asked about Yiadom in the first he said "I like him, he's fast"), frightfully dull in his apres-match analysis (imo seemingly picking the first player to come to his mind when selecting his MOTM), overly critical of seemingly random and often innocuous incidents and most annoyingly completely against any tactics or players that dont fit into his expectations of a footballer. Its like listening to all those pundits calling Ozil shit because he doesnt run really fast. Anelka and Berbatov dealt with it too. Not every player has to run about like a lunatic, pressing everyone near the ball.

In fact if you re-watch the match both the first and second chance were created specifically because Swift was not closing down, he was lurking seemingly out of harms way waiting to pounce on a bad pass which he did to great effect. For the first chance the pass would never have been made if Swift was up in his mans arse pressuring him. Just a shame Bod was a bit short in the stretch for that one.

I know you missed the first 35 minutes so I'll let you know he spent the first half saying Bod shouldnt be playing only to change his tune at the end of the game with the benefit of hindsight. Cracking insight there. The player I said was shit scored our only goal so I guess hes my MOTM.

And I'm not just picking on him for this game. I have never liked his punditry. It's like listening to a less volatile John Giles.

I like him but he agrees with EVERYTHING Tim Dellor says which is just ridiculous.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Aug 2018 21:21

NewCorkSeth
Snowball
Franchise FC
True but that doesn't make his opinion any more or less valid.

I can see it now. Discussing my brain tumour with (a) a recently retired brain surgeon OR a random Nobber.

It’s just opinion innit?

I reckon surgical practices and neurology changes quite a bit in 20 years. If the surgeon retired 20 years ago from some middling hospital rather than a state of the art specialty surgery I'd suggest a second opinion.

A man who has worked on brains will still know shedloads more about brains than an estate agent or plumber

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 04 Aug 2018 21:25

genome RE: Aluko. I didn't think he was bad last night. He looked motivated, ran with purpose. He got lucky with the break of the ball at times but he looked positive.

Playing for a move, obvs...

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 04 Aug 2018 21:29

Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal
Royal Rother JDB is a League 2 Player.

He's had 45 minute preseason. oxf*rd off back to your pub team.

:lol:

Well at least he didn't call him a beefed up Simon Church.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Aug 2018 22:02

Snowball
NewCorkSeth
Snowball

I can see it now. Discussing my brain tumour with (a) a recently retired brain surgeon OR a random Nobber.

It’s just opinion innit?

I reckon surgical practices and neurology changes quite a bit in 20 years. If the surgeon retired 20 years ago from some middling hospital rather than a state of the art specialty surgery I'd suggest a second opinion.

A man who has worked on brains will still know shedloads more about brains than an estate agent or plumber

I was only taking the puss buddy. But former footballers often get more credence than necessary.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 05 Aug 2018 08:59

That was a far better performance than i’ve seen in a very long time from Reading. After the Palace game I put the Judas bet on as it didn’t look like anything had really changed. However, this was very different - the players really looked like they were up for it. 4 shots on goal in the first half! Disappointed not to win and would have been happy with a draw.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Aug 2018 15:25

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
leon
It means he understands a bit about football

Yeah ok... I guess that means Michael Owen is actually a genius pundit.

Mick Gooding played intelligently in midfield for years, one of the best for Reading. He's managed at Championship level and has been a co-commentator on Reading for about a decade.
He's good at his job, insightful and knowledgeable. Of course, he's not perfect and he may occasionally get things wrong.

In comparison, I'm struggling to think of anything you've got going for you. You're certainly not right about how we're playing and the qualities of the various players as much as Gooding. Though I'll concede you're not as bad as Dellor.

Err, well quite

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 05 Aug 2018 17:14

Snowflake Royal Mick Gooding played intelligently in midfield for years, one of the best for Reading. He's managed at Championship level and has been a co-commentator on Reading for about a decade.

Ian, I'd agree with that, but I'm less sure he's an 'expert' on today's game.

Speaking of player's in general, they are not necessarily sharp in the real world. An ability to kick a ball doesn't make one an expert. Many pros were marginal/poor scholars, and didn't go to uni. They elected to forgo education, pursuing a physical route over a mental one. How many could build/run/manage successful businesses or hold board/executive roles? What would their IQ scores be? Is Wayne Rooney smart? On the streets of Liverpool, footy was his life, to the exclusion of all else. Kyle Walker? Danny Rose?

Are ex-player's experts? Maybe some, but not all. I rate Gary Neville, for example. Shearer, not so much. Some have looked and sounded foolish on camera/radio. Many are hired as characters or personalities, as much as knowledge. It sells papers, means more viewers and listeners. Tbf, there's a target audience to play to as well, to encompass the traits of most listeners. As such, the commentary can be basic and not reach schoolboy footy levels at times.

When players retire in their 30s, what is out there for them? If you know and can talk footy, you might go in to management over radio. Yet many fail in management because of the additional knowledge and skill-sets required. There's no direct correlation to the level you played at, either. A non-league player might know more than a top pro. Paul Clement never even played pro. Potter at Swansea wasn't a great player (but went to uni), and look what he did in Sweden. Many top pro's would struggle to accomplish what he did over there.

It's ever evolving and changing, too. Science, data, software, metrics, xG, etc. Some fans can sometimes grasp some of that as well as some ex-pro's who played, say, 20-30 years ago, imo. Furthermore, outdated expertise is difficult to eradicate, even though traditional English footy concepts are of diminished merit.

Again, I'd say Gooding 'knows a bit about footy', and I like him, but I wouldn't necessarily say he's an expert in it's current, modern format.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Aug 2018 18:28

Is it impossible for Denver Royal to say anything in just a sentence or short paragraph? Asking for a friend.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Aug 2018 19:20

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal Mick Gooding played intelligently in midfield for years, one of the best for Reading. He's managed at Championship level and has been a co-commentator on Reading for about a decade.

Speaking of player's in general, they are not necessarily sharp in the real world. An ability to kick a ball doesn't make one an expert. Many pros were marginal/poor scholars, and didn't go to uni. They elected to forgo education, pursuing a physical route over a mental one. How many could build/run/manage successful businesses or hold board/executive roles? What would their IQ scores be? Is Wayne Rooney smart? On the streets of Liverpool, footy was his life, to the exclusion of all else. Kyle Walker? Danny Rose?

Are ex-player's experts? Maybe some, but not all. I rate Gary Neville, for example. Shearer, not so much. Some have looked and sounded foolish on camera/radio. Many are hired as characters or personalities, as much as knowledge. It sells papers, means more viewers and listeners. Tbf, there's a target audience to play to as well, to encompass the traits of most listeners. As such, the commentary can be basic and not reach schoolboy footy levels at times.

When players retire in their 30s, what is out there for them? If you know and can talk footy, you might go in to management over radio. Yet many fail in management because of the additional knowledge and skill-sets required. There's no direct correlation to the level you played at, either. A non-league player might know more than a top pro. Paul Clement never even played pro. Potter at Swansea wasn't a great player (but went to uni), and look what he did in Sweden. Many top pro's would struggle to accomplish what he did over there.

It's ever evolving and changing, too. Science, data, software, metrics, xG, etc. Some fans can sometimes grasp some of that as well as some ex-pro's who played, say, 20-30 years ago, imo. Furthermore, outdated expertise is difficult to eradicate, even though traditional English footy concepts are of diminished merit.

Again, I'd say Gooding 'knows a bit about footy', and I like him, but I wouldn't necessarily say he's an expert in it's current, modern format.

Football is not that complicated.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2018 20:07

Denver Royal

Football is the same game it's always been. And I never said every professional footballer knows what they're talking about. I just said Mick Gooding, who is more than just an ex-pro, knows a lot more about the game and talks more sense than NewCorkSeth.

And lets face it, you don't have to be a genius to know writing on a Reading FC forum that a Reading FC legend who co-commentates on Reading FC games is full of shite, or whatever the specific words were, is going to be a touch contentious and unpopular.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Aug 2018 21:50

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal

Football is the same game it's always been. And I never said every professional footballer knows what they're talking about. I just said Mick Gooding, who is more than just an ex-pro, knows a lot more about the game and talks more sense than NewCorkSeth.

And lets face it, you don't have to be a genius to know writing on a Reading FC forum that a Reading FC legend who co-commentates on Reading FC games is full of shite, or whatever the specific words were, is going to be a touch contentious and unpopular.

Please Ian. Stop saying stuff I agree with.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 05 Aug 2018 23:03

Thought we were decent. Unlucky to lose. Still shakey under pressure, and orine to cinceding late goals, but im happy enough with how we looked.

7/10

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Aug 2018 08:41

Uke It would have been three goals if Mannone hadn’t pulled off the great save after McShane let the ball go across (which was the right thing to do).

Have we all forgotten that one?

Is that the save from Wilson? Good stop but wasn't going in, Wilson got it wrong and was whipping across the goal. McShane behind would have cleared. If I'm forgetting another though...

Not much more to add. We looked solid and the pressing was causing issues. Derby simply did not hurt us at all and if Mannone hadn't made his mistake, am comfortable we would have won that 1-0. The winner was an absolute kick in the teeth, which I fully blame my Mother in Law for, as she said at 90mins - "You must be happy with the draw at least".

Lots to build on and we have the whole week to do so, whilst Forest play tomorrow night against WBA.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 06 Aug 2018 09:06

Massive blow to lose it at the end. More positives than negatives to take from the game though. Was very impressed by our fitness levels of the team, which will get even better in the next few games. First game of the season and for 90 mins we out run Derby and I put it down to the quality of 1 cross was the difference between the 2 sides.
Positives;
We didn't look turd on SKY.
We pressed very well.
Link up play from the back was quick and decisive.
Aluko wasn't the worst player on the pitch.

Negatives;
Strike force looked toothless.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 06 Aug 2018 09:45

Had to laugh at this tweet I saw from a Derby fan this morning

That Richard Keogh’s having a bad game”

Vito Mannone...

“Hold my beer”#dcfc

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Aug 2018 10:17

Coppells Lost Coat
Negatives;
Strike force looked toothless.

Apart from having about 3 chances and scoring a really good goal they were toothless, yes.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Aug 2018 10:20

Thought Bodvarsson had a strange game. Absolute cracking header for the goal, couple of great moments, and then some absolutely awful first touches and tame shots. Could've had a hattrick.

Liked the look of Swift in a False 9/Shadow striker type role but his legs went in the second half.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Aug 2018 10:28

Yeah toothless is the wrong word. Wasteful would be fair enough.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Aug 2018 10:31

Also you have to remember Bod has had fcuk all pre-season - came back from the World Cup, had a holiday, only just recently came back to training.

266 posts