Liam Moore Hypocrite or Hero?

133 posts
TiagoIlori

Re: Liam Moore Hypocrite or Hero?

by TiagoIlori » 09 Aug 2018 22:31

The timing was terrible but what he can he really do in his situation now? He’s apologised and now let’s move on, give him the benefit of a doubt. Don’t have to forgive him but I think it’s unfair not give him a chance to make amends

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 09 Aug 2018 22:58

Anyone who thinks he's a hypocrite is a hypocrite.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Aug 2018 23:34

quickwingerswife Good point, but I’m still booing him at Nottingham if he gets picked. His mates from Loughborough will be there so I’m expecting a slap, but hypocrites I can’t stand.

Tough competition but this has to be up there with the stupidest posts in HNA history, what an absolute gimp you are :shock:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 10 Aug 2018 00:24

genome
FiNeRaIn Get over it. Why would any player want to stay in this current Reading setup when we have zero ambition to reach the premier league? If there was any doubt before the transfer window about the clubs intentions, that's been put to bed with the huge lack of investment in our squad while the genuine promotion contenders of the division added all summer. The club is not going anywhere in its current state and I would absolutely try and force a move also. As it stands we have him until January, his agent will be in his ear motivating him so someone from the prem panics and overspends on him during the next window. Fair play to him.

On the flip side - if we didn't have ambition to get to the Premier League, why are our owners saying that they wouldn't sell our best player for any price?

If that’s true (which I doubt), owners were late to the dance and let this drag on for weeks/months. What this meant was, among other things, Clement didnt/couldn’t even include him in squad for very important opening game. (If Moore is as good as some say, maybe he's the difference and we win or draw the game). Why did he have to miss the game if we were never going to sell anyway? Grealish almost went, but has been playing for Villa? Owners can say what they want after the fact, and some will buy it, but reckon club was interested in selling...and came close to doing so.

(Re. Hause, not sure I’ve ever seen him play.)
Last edited by Denver Royal on 10 Aug 2018 04:03, edited 2 times in total.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 10 Aug 2018 01:38

As our best player, in my view, Moore deserved his POTS award.

Furthermore, in the post Hammond era, in which we've spunked millions on those who have failed to deliver, if his successor has ever been quilty of barking up the right tree it was the one that led to signing Moore. It took forever but was well worth the wait.

For this club to turn down £10m for one of it's players feels like a landmark event in it's history, not to mention an impressive statement of intent from our reclusive owners.

However, Moore is ready for the top flight and I can't help feeling we might have been better off taking the money and re-investing it in the squad.

When Tottenham sold Gareth Bale for what was then a huge fee, the proceeds built the side they have now.

Like Sidwell before him, I'm not sure Liam knows how to give less than 110% and, even if he's here only until Christmas, it will be a pleasure for us if not entirely for him.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 10 Aug 2018 01:54

Denver Royal
genome
FiNeRaIn Get over it. Why would any player want to stay in this current Reading setup when we have zero ambition to reach the premier league? If there was any doubt before the transfer window about the clubs intentions, that's been put to bed with the huge lack of investment in our squad while the genuine promotion contenders of the division added all summer. The club is not going anywhere in its current state and I would absolutely try and force a move also. As it stands we have him until January, his agent will be in his ear motivating him so someone from the prem panics and overspends on him during the next window. Fair play to him.

On the flip side - if we didn't have ambition to get to the Premier League, why are our owners saying that they wouldn't sell our best player for any price?

If that’s true (which I doubt), owners were late to the dance and let this drag on for weeks/months. What this meant was, among other things, Clement didnt/couldn’t even include him in squad for very important opening game. (If Moore is as good as some say, maybe we win or draw the game?). Owners can say what they want after the fact, and some will buy it, but reckon club was interested in selling...and came close to doing so.

(Re. Hause, not sure I’ve ever seen him play.)

Brighton made at least 3 offers culminating in the final one this week for £10m :|

They have been "close" to selling him for months but elected not to.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Aug 2018 06:57

Kind of tangential and obviously I’m very pro Moore, have made my feelings clear on that especially with this whole debacle, but am I the only one that thinks although he deserves another a shot at it he won’t be much cop in the prem? I think he is one of those players too good for the champ but not good enough for the top flight. I guess we won’t know until we find out which shouldn’t be too far down the road one way or another.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Aug 2018 07:14

Reckon he’d do well.

Personally think he is as good as a lot of the CBS who have made the step up in recent years such as Duffy, Dunk and Mawson

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 10 Aug 2018 08:40

It is completely down to Moore if he can be seen as a hero or hypocrite. If he gets his head down works hard and get back into the team fair play to him. Sure Clement will know if his head is in the right place for him to start games. If we dont see him in the squad after a handful of games he probably doesn't want to be here. I dont think its in Moores nature to sulk and be a lil bitch over this.
Anyone booing him needs to seriously examine their life.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 10 Aug 2018 08:57

as long as he performs and the team is competitive, I'll support him.

spin is spin and we have to accept that.

people conveniently forget that Rooney and Gerrard, so called loyal/badge kissing players both made similar moves to leverage more money from their clubs.

at a push, I'd rather a bit of honesty from a player than fake 'loyalty' particularly when an average player is on a great deal and won't move on

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Aug 2018 09:01

He should have been sold. He has issued a phony statement that he was backed into a corner and had to make. He doesn't want to be here and now we have to go through the motions until January when we will get this saga come up again. Would have rather took the money and bought an exciting attacking player who will be an upgrade on Aluko.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Aug 2018 09:02

Moore's post makes a bit more sense now its come out that we turned down 10m for him this week

tbh, suspect it will take a week or so to fully come to terms with it etc - he probably thought he would be on his way when that offer came in. Expect he'l be back for Brum and back in the first 11 after that

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Aug 2018 09:04

Old Man Andrews He should have been sold. He has issued a phony statement that he was backed into a corner and had to make. He doesn't want to be here and now we have to go through the motions until January when we will get this saga come up again. Would have rather took the money and bought an exciting attacking player who will be an upgrade on Aluko.

Don't really agree. We should have found an upgrade on Aluko without selling Moore. We've already shown we are useless at big money purchases, and if we'd had another 5-8m winger come in, I doubt they would be that good for us anyway

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 10 Aug 2018 09:13

by your definitions that would make last season our greatest ever, just because we spunked a load of random money

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Aug 2018 09:22

Hound
Old Man Andrews He should have been sold. He has issued a phony statement that he was backed into a corner and had to make. He doesn't want to be here and now we have to go through the motions until January when we will get this saga come up again. Would have rather took the money and bought an exciting attacking player who will be an upgrade on Aluko.

Don't really agree. We should have found an upgrade on Aluko without selling Moore. We've already shown we are useless at big money purchases, and if we'd had another 5-8m winger come in, I doubt they would be that good for us anyway

Marcus Maddison would have been arguably an upgrade and available for £2.5m. It would have then left the club with a big surpless of funds which would have helped longer term. Obviously we would have had to spend a bit on the Hause loan to replace Moore but all in all we would have been better off selling him IMO.

The whole timing of his request stunk as did his phony message that he released. I have no issue with him wanting a move but don't come out with it 2 days before the season starts, it is a slap in the face to all concerned. Had he announced he wanted to leave in May at the end of the 2017/18 I would have had no issue with it whatsoever, he's better than us.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Aug 2018 09:30

He's neither? He's a great player we are lucky to have and I believe him when he says he will fight for his place in the team.

He improves us a huge amount when he plays and I look forward to him and Ilori playing together again.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Aug 2018 09:55

OMA - we could have bought MM anyway, obvs for whatever reason no club has actually paid what looks like a small fee for him. Highly suspect wages are the big issue. No actual guarantee he can do it in the Champ either

And Moore’s transfer request came out publicly 9 days before the season start (not 2 days) He may well have made the request up to 2 weeks before the start of the season

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Aug 2018 11:11

elrey Let's find one fan who works for a company, and wouldn't leave that company to get paid a load more money.

Me.

More relevant would be someone who's signed a fixed term contract.

If I sign a four year contract and sign my name, my word and my honour that I will work for a certain salary there for a set time (knowing full well that there are other higher paying companies around) but taking the gamble that this is the best option there is no way in hell I'd be screwing over my company. I know because this has happened to me.

Ask the question, sure,but once it's clear you're expected to stay, drop it. He's a oxf*rd as far as I'm concerned. But then so are most players. And probably most people. Doesn't mean it's not oxf*rd behaviour. We live in a world of oxf*rd.

This sort of "anyone would do it so it's fine" mentality is a) factually wrong and b) just encourages this sort of behaviour.

Having said that what are our options now? Hate the guy and boo him or just be pragmatic, pretend we like him, let him bust a gut for us.

I'm going with the latter and whilst deep down think he can **** off I'll be cheering him on whilst he's with us and will look down on anyone who boos him. There's no point.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Aug 2018 11:26

Hound Moore's post makes a bit more sense now its come out that we turned down 10m for him this week

We don't know how the deal was structured though. Might not have been full cash amount upfront. Rumour has it that Dan Burn was signed for £4m. Appears that BHA haven't been splashing much cash.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Aug 2018 11:42

Lower West
Hound Moore's post makes a bit more sense now its come out that we turned down 10m for him this week

Appears that BHA haven't been splashing much cash.

Yeah just the £45 million odd.

133 posts