Green
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Brits Abroad Thread

by Green » 27 Jul 2018 09:56

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Aug 2018 21:24

18yo England youth international Reo Griffiths, has left Spurs for Lyon.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 08 Aug 2018 08:34

Chuba Akpom has gone to PAOK.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Aug 2018 17:23

Just saw that John Bostock transferred to Toulouse for €800k last month

Played in Belgium for Leuven where he helped get them promoted to the top division 3 years ago while winning the award for best player in the 2nd tier. Transferred to Bursaspor on 31st Jan this year but had injuries and the players kept striking as they were not getting paid (Bostock never got paid while there) but apparently in the handful of games he did play he really impressed.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Sep 2018 17:27

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Sep 2018 11:51

Winston Biscuit Reiss Nelson scores on his Hoffenheim debut

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/reiss-nelson-goal-hoffenheim-debut/

Reading about this it transpires that Nelson is the 8th British player to make his Champions League debut for a non-British club.
Was surprised to see one name at the top of the list - the first was Brian Deane who I didn't recall had managed to sandwich 18 appearances for Benfica between spells at Sheffield United and Middlesbrough, in 1998. Benfica went a bit English-crazy, Michael Thomas is second on the list and played for the same team as Deane, Scott Minto having joined the year before.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Sep 2018 14:24

Sanguine

Reading about this it transpires that Nelson is the 8th British player to make his Champions League debut for a non-British club.
Was surprised to see one name at the top of the list - the first was Brian Deane who I didn't recall had managed to sandwich 18 appearances for Benfica between spells at Sheffield United and Middlesbrough, in 1998. Benfica went a bit English-crazy, Michael Thomas is second on the list and played for the same team as Deane, Scott Minto having joined the year before.

Out of interest how many British/Irish players are their playing their domestic football for clubs in Europe (but outside of the British Isles) on a permanent (not loan) basis?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 Sep 2018 14:28

Sutekh
Sanguine

Out of interest how many British/Irish players are their playing their domestic football for clubs in Europe (but outside of the British Isles) on a permanent (not loan) basis?

https://uk.soccerway.com/players/players_abroad/england/

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Sep 2018 14:47

Winston Biscuit
Sutekh
Sanguine

Thanks, that's some list - an awful lot more than you'd think

Wonder if any might be on the radar for England duty at some point in the future.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 Sep 2018 14:51

Sutekh
Winston Biscuit
Sutekh

Wonder if any might be on the radar for England duty at some point in the future.

hopefully the recent trend of youngsters going to Germany kickstarts something. Was listening to a European podcast a couple of days ago and one of the journalists said that young English players were very much seen as what teams there need right now. Nagelsmann apparently spoke publicly about how good the England youth teams are and how people need to be watching what they are doing now instead of the Spanish.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 21 Sep 2018 18:28

Who was the last player to play for England who didn't play for an English team? Did Eric Dier ever play when he was at Sporting?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Sep 2018 10:02

Sutekh
Winston Biscuit
Sutekh

That is a lot more than I expected to see, but largely because most of them are players that wouldn't make it as a full time pro over here but can eking out a living elsewhere I guess.

The recent trend of good young English players going to Germany is interesting though. I do think it's success is a little over played though. Take Lookman as an example, he did well for RB Leipzig, but I don't think he played a whole lot more for them than he did for Everton but you'd think he was the first name on their teamsheet by reading some of the favourable reports.

I'm all for the likes of him and Sancho going over there and getting their careers going instead of sitting on their arse in the Premier League though. It can only be good for England and for the reputation and progression of English players.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 26 Sep 2018 13:58

Kulshaw72RFC Who was the last player to play for England who didn't play for an English team? Did Eric Dier ever play when he was at Sporting?

Owen Hargreaves?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Sep 2018 17:23

Just noticed that Terry Butcher quit as Manager of the Philippines national team last month and they have now appointed Yorkshireman Scott Cooper

Cooper was in the Wednesday youth team as a kid but opted to go the U.S to get a degree in his late teens and while there coached a team in the Indoor Soccer League and became a PE teacher. He then seems to have gone on a bit of a coaching adventure that Dylan Kerr would be proud of, including stints in Anguilla, Montserrat, Chester, Leicester, Thailand and now The Philippines.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Sep 2018 18:56

Scottish under 21 international David Bates going down a storm at Hamburg by all accounts

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Sep 2018 20:48

gazzer, loyal royal
Kulshaw72RFC Who was the last player to play for England who didn't play for an English team? Did Eric Dier ever play when he was at Sporting?

Owen Hargreaves?

I’m guessing it was Joe Hart whilst he was playing in Italy.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Sep 2018 21:18

Hoop Blah
gazzer, loyal royal

Owen Hargreaves?

I’m guessing it was Joe Hart whilst he was playing in Italy.

Yeah Hart I think. Beckham before him in 2010ish when on loan at AC Milan

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 27 Sep 2018 07:42

Wonder how long it will take Man City to buy back Sancho?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Oct 2018 09:37

Sancho signs new 4 year contract at Dortmund

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Oct 2018 08:50

Nelson gets 2 goals for Hoffenheim
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/45934863

130 posts