On this day

413 posts
Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

On this day

by Jerry St Clair » 24 Sep 2018 09:44

24 September 1994
Watford 2 - 2 Reading

One of my favourite away games in a season full of cracking away games. We filled the whole lower tier of the Rous Stand with a cracking, boisterous away following. There were definitely plenty of people on the pitch after the goals.

My hazy memory recalls that we came back twice to equalise, but not sure if that’s correct?

24 years ago, though. Christ.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: On this day

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Sep 2018 10:34

I actually think we were 2-0 down at half time if that game is the play-off season and McGhee was still around then.

Remember Simon Osborn scoring....

I'm pretty sure we were along the touchline somewhere as the ground was in the middle of re-development; I could be completely wrong though and that may have been a different season....

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Sep 2018 12:16

Mid Sussex Royal I actually think we were 2-0 down at half time if that game is the play-off season and McGhee was still around then.

I'm pretty sure we were along the touchline somewhere as the ground was in the middle of re-development; I could be completely wrong though and that may have been a different season....

Yep, the away end behind the goal was either closed off or already demolished. Recall we had to walk around the allotments to get to the away end. We were 2-0 before goals from Lovell and Osborn.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Sep 2018 12:20

This is a good and overdue thread idea. Should post links and photos of stuff that happened in our history on a daily basis, would be a real time passer.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Sep 2018 12:22

Two years ago today..... Oh for a couple of missed penalty kicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVSzPtjR8lQ

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Sep 2018 13:02

Old Man Andrews Two years ago today..... Oh for a couple of missed penalty kicks.

That was a great red card. Idiot.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Sep 2018 13:03

Old Man Andrews Two years ago today..... Oh for a couple of missed penalty kicks.

Last game I actually managed to attend,

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Sep 2018 13:06

paultheroyal

Love how f*cked off his mate is with him too.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Sep 2018 08:57

I think we lost 4-0 to Swindon Town away from home on this day in 1987.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 27 Sep 2018 03:59

Stranded
Mid Sussex Royal I actually think we were 2-0 down at half time if that game is the play-off season and McGhee was still around then.

Yep, the away end behind the goal was either closed off or already demolished. Recall we had to walk around the allotments to get to the away end. We were 2-0 before goals from Lovell and Osborn.

One of my fav away games from that season we filled that bottom tier made loads of noise even when we were two down. A small pitch invasion when Archie scored happy days.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 27 Sep 2018 07:43

Jackson Corner
Stranded

One of my fav away games from that season we filled that bottom tier made loads of noise even when we were two down. A small pitch invasion when Archie scored happy days.

Simpler times.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Sep 2018 12:44

Old Man Andrews I think we lost 4-0 to Swindon Town away from home on this day in 1987.

I remember that game and being caged in alongside their fans.
It was only later that we got the upper tier opposite.
Unless we can maintain the spirit and application shown on Saturday I fear that we will be playing them again next season.
Oh joy.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 27 Sep 2018 14:07

Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews I think we lost 4-0 to Swindon Town away from home on this day in 1987.

Unless we can maintain the spirit and application shown on Saturday I fear that we will be playing them again next season. Oh joy.

Heh, I hear you. Blackpool aside, not sure of 'all the cracking away days to look forward to' that some bang on about in League 1.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 27 Sep 2018 15:45

Victor Meldrew

Unless we can maintain the spirit and application shown on Saturday I fear that we will be playing them again next season.
Oh joy.

Victor, they're a mid table League 2 side! Have some positivity man!

RoyalSwine90

by RoyalSwine90 » 27 Sep 2018 16:20

On this day in 2011, having played terribly for 70 mins and to be 2-0 down, yet end up leaving with all 3 points was truly spectacular!

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 27 Sep 2018 17:12

Denver Royal
Victor Meldrew

Unless we can maintain the spirit and application shown on Saturday I fear that we will be playing them again next season. Oh joy.

Heh, I hear you. Blackpool aside, not sure of 'all the cracking away days to look forward to' that some bang on about in League 1.

So you are telling me you aren't looking forward to Accrington Stanley away on a Tuesday night? Fleetwood away on boxing day?

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 27 Sep 2018 17:43

Old Man Andrews
paultheroyal

How oxf*rd clumsy does JDVB look in that video. I'd almost forgotten.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 27 Sep 2018 17:49

Jagermesiter1871
Old Man Andrews
paultheroyal

How oxf*rd clumsy does JDVB look in that video. I'd almost forgotten.

Good lord!

We had almost forgotten about him! Can't remember a player who looked more clumsy and gormless then him. Well maybe Luke Chadwick but he had unfortunate genes.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 27 Sep 2018 19:43

Yeah McGhee went 3-5-2 then swapped back to 4-4-2 at half time and we bossed them. Admitted after the game that he got wrong to begin with so fair fukks.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Sep 2018 21:03

Victor Meldrew

Oh joy.

Worst away day of my life, or any other life for that matter.
easy target practice for the Swindom scum. and lost 4-0 in the bargain, what was there not to like?

413 posts