[POLL] Is Aluko really that poor?

Is Aluko really that shit?

Yes.
70%
No he has bad form at the moment like most of the team and is just a scapegoat because he cost loads.
20%
He's actually great and will end up being a Kebe if we give him a chance.
4%
Ian Royal.
6%

Total votes: 138
Old Man Andrews

Re: [POLL] Is Aluko really that poor?

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Oct 2018 11:31

John Smith
Coppells Lost Coat
CountryRoyal I was just thinking about the Simon Church lob from a ridiculous angle at Bellend road.

Even shit players do good stuff once in a while.

Andy Hughes v Wolves sprang to my mind. Not the gifted player but made the fans go nuts.

What about the Alex Pearce stepovers at Doncaster?

I genuinely reckon that bloke would get rinsed down at Woodley Goals. Shambolic dross of a player.

He is probably working there now tbf.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 05 Oct 2018 13:20

Old Man Andrews As in most issues of this nature I had to go Ian Royal.

Does anyone else wonder if IR votes for himself?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2018 13:30

PieEater

I'm a man of great humility so only very occasionally.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Oct 2018 13:31

Snowflake Royal
PieEater

I'm a man of great humility so only every time.

Fixed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2018 13:32

PieEater

I'm a man of great humility so only very occasionally.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 05 Oct 2018 16:21

On the OP, the answer is yes. Never understood the signing from the word go, just put it down to another of Stam’s abberation's. Gutting that he's still got nearly three years left on his contract :|

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2018 15:43

FYI we've played:
~ 496 minutes in the league with Aluko on the pitch this season before today, scoring 5 goals and conceding 11.
~494 minutes without Aluko on the pitch, scoring 9 and conceding 5.

Aluko's contributed one assist.

Just saying.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Oct 2018 15:47

Snowflake Royal FYI we've played:
~ 496 minutes in the league with Aluko on the pitch this season before today, scoring 5 goals and conceding 11.
~494 minutes without Aluko on the pitch, scoring 9 and conceding 5.

Aluko's contributed one assist.

Just saying.

Anyone got those same stats for last season?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2018 15:53

It doesn't take a huge amount of time to work it out just looking at the who scored / soccerbase match reports if you're interested.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Oct 2018 02:07

Snowflake Royal It doesn't take a huge amount of time to work it out just looking at the who scored / soccerbase match reports if you're interested.

Interesting stat, good work.

In the first half I was thinking yes he's got to be shit because we're doing so well without him.

Then it all screwed up and I think both him being shit and also the whole team being shit are true.

To me Ezatolahi has made a real difference. When he plays well we're good. When he gets tired we suffer.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2018 12:12

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Snowflake Royal It doesn't take a huge amount of time to work it out just looking at the who scored / soccerbase match reports if you're interested.

In the first half I was thinking yes he's got to be shit because we're doing so well without him.

Then it all screwed up and I think both him being shit and also the whole team being shit are true.

To me Ezatolahi has made a real difference. When he plays well we're good. When he gets tired we suffer.

Yes. I don't think anyone is saying everything is Aluko's fault. But he is the prime example of everything going wrong and the worst performer of any getting semi regulation appearances.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Oct 2018 12:22

2 world wars, 1 world cup

Class act.

Provided he doesn't get too down by being let down
by the rest of the team he should get better with fitness

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 09 Oct 2018 10:56

They're a flawed system but the WhoScored ratings suggest that somehow Aluko's form last season was his second best over the past few seasons. Likewise, his lack of end product is on par with his usual Championship output. If you take out the awesome season for Fulham in 2016/17, he's managed just 6 goals and 6 assists in 76 games. Throw in two years in the Prem and that goes to 8 goals and 9 assists in 118 games, so an average of about 2-3 goals and 3 assists per season.

2018/19 - 6.45 (1 assist)
2017/18 - 6.78 (3 goals 4 assists)
2016/17 - 7.08 (8 goals 10 assists)
2015/16 - 6.52 (3 goals 1 assist)
2014/15 - 6.34 (Prem) (1 goal 0 assists)
2013/14 - 6.64 (Prem) (1 goal 3 assists)

Stats wise, the bloke has had one stunning season in his recent career and that's it. You do wonder if we've fallen victim to the problem that other clubs found when they bought our top talent like Kitson, Shorey, Bikey, Sonko for big money, in that actually they played well in a very specific team/style/environment and when you take them out of it, they're going to struggle.

I feel sorry for the bloke, he actually didn't start too badly but as soon as the club's form collapsed his did as well. I get the feeling that if the overall form of the team had an upturn his would as well but sadly he's the club's record signing and he's going to always have that pressure of doing something special.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Oct 2018 10:57

Wimb They're a flawed system but the WhoScored ratings suggest that somehow Aluko's form last season was his second best over the past few seasons. Likewise, his lack of end product is on par with his usual Championship output. If you take out the awesome season for Fulham in 2016/17, he's managed just 6 goals and 6 assists in 76 games. Throw in two years in the Prem and that goes to 8 goals and 9 assists in 118 games, so an average of about 2-3 goals and 3 assists per season.

Stats wise, the bloke has had one stunning season in his recent career and that's it. You do wonder if we've fallen victim to the problem that other clubs found when they bought our top talent like Kitson, Shorey, Bikey, Sonko for big money, in that actually they played well in a very specific team/style/environment and when you take them out of it, they're going to struggle.

I feel sorry for the bloke, he actually didn't start too badly but as soon as the club's form collapsed his did as well. I get the feeling that if the overall form of the team had an upturn his would as well but sadly he's the club's record signing and he's going to always have that pressure of doing something special.

How is it possible to feel sorry for someone who clearly isn't giving his best effort for us who cost as much as he did and who is on about 25k a week? Don't really get that.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 09 Oct 2018 11:05

Old Man Andrews
Wimb They're a flawed system but the WhoScored ratings suggest that somehow Aluko's form last season was his second best over the past few seasons. Likewise, his lack of end product is on par with his usual Championship output. If you take out the awesome season for Fulham in 2016/17, he's managed just 6 goals and 6 assists in 76 games. Throw in two years in the Prem and that goes to 8 goals and 9 assists in 118 games, so an average of about 2-3 goals and 3 assists per season.

How is it possible to feel sorry for someone who clearly isn't giving his best effort for us who cost as much as he did and who is on about 25k a week? Don't really get that.

Doesn't matter what you're earning, he can't be enjoying his job that much when he's not making an impact AND his team are struggling. He doesn't strike me as someone so detached from the game that he's doing the minimum required to make his pay-cheque and goes home laughing about how stupid the club is to be paying him this much.

I think he's trying his best but as mentioned, it's clearly not working for whatever reason. When you're low on confidence your decision making isn't going to be top notch either.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Oct 2018 11:43

Wimb
Old Man Andrews

Doesn't matter what you're earning, he can't be enjoying his job that much when he's not making an impact AND his team are struggling. He doesn't strike me as someone so detached from the game that he's doing the minimum required to make his pay-cheque and goes home laughing about how stupid the club is to be paying him this much.

I think he's trying his best but as mentioned, it's clearly not working for whatever reason. When you're low on confidence your decision making isn't going to be top notch either.

If he team is struggling and your form is out of the window the least you can do is work hard. I just don't see him tracking back or protecting Gunter ever.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Oct 2018 11:44

leon
Wimb
Old Man Andrews

If he team is struggling and your form is out of the window the least you can do is work hard. I just don't see him tracking back or protecting Gunter ever.

Exactly that. You can tell the bloke has given up trying now, he must be able to tell he will never fit in here and it has demorlaised him. He should be doing all he can to get out of the club and off our wage bill, works best for both parties.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 09 Oct 2018 11:50

His tracking back is a bit of a weakness, can't deny that. Still think he puts in a decent shift though, certainly on a par with most of our attack minded players aside from Baldock who you really appreciate for the yards he covers.

There's obviously something about him that keeps getting him selected ahead of Sims/Academy players. If his attitude was absolutely awful I can't see why Clement would pick him.

He won't cancel his contract, the best you could do is find a club who are prepared to take him and pay him maybe 75% so we'd pay the rest. Think we had to do something similar to move Drenthe along?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Oct 2018 11:53

Wimb His tracking back is a bit of a weakness, can't deny that. Still think he puts in a decent shift though, certainly on a par with most of our attack minded players aside from Baldock who you really appreciate for the yards he covers.

There's obviously something about him that keeps getting him selected ahead of Sims/Academy players. If his attitude was absolutely awful I can't see why Clement would pick him.

He won't cancel his contract, the best you could do is find a club who are prepared to take him and pay him maybe 75% so we'd pay the rest. Think we had to do something similar to move Drenthe along?

He loses the ball. Thinks he's been fouled, throws his hands in the air and stands there moaning.

No thanks.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 09 Oct 2018 12:03

leon
Wimb His tracking back is a bit of a weakness, can't deny that. Still think he puts in a decent shift though, certainly on a par with most of our attack minded players aside from Baldock who you really appreciate for the yards he covers.

He loses the ball. Thinks he's been fouled, throws his hands in the air and stands there moaning.

No thanks.

If you'd had a year of awful form both personally and as part of a squad I'd dare suggest you'd have moments like that when you wonder if everything is against you.

Not condoning it, more saying I can understand it. Some players are so mentally tough that they're unphased by anything but just look at someone like Paul McShane. He literally got into a fight with his own team mate he cared so much and yet has also had a row with fans who were getting on his back. You can also never fault his effort on the pitch but some question his selection on account of quality levels.

Passion and effort are great and I'd love having a squad full of it but it's hard to sustain when you're taking a mental beating week after week. As I said, he strikes me as a player that's perfect for teams who are performing well. If he's not someone who handles tough situations well then that should have been part of the consideration when signing him and by the managers who pick him for the team.