BBC Radio Berks

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BBC Radio Berks

by sandman » 31 Dec 2018 16:52

Old Man Andrews Not even slightly a good post. Anyone who thinks Mick Gooding is decent on the radio needs their head checking, he might as well not be there. He is a fence sitter and offers zero to the coverage.

The other two are there to shove their opinions in everyone's faces. It's good to have someone who provides a bit of balance.

Mick is perfectly fine on co-commentary.

Have to laugh at you attacking the local media over and over and then defending Williams who is the worst of the lot.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 31 Dec 2018 17:14

We all pay an annual BBC licence fee and some of us also pay a yearly ifollow subscription to listen to live match broadcasts which should be presented by a professional sports broadcaster and commenter, not a football fan.

Some of us rely on the live match broadcast as our only means to be at the game but too often the whole matchday experience is spoilt by Dellor and Williams talking nonsense. I would prefer Dellor to give a professional running commentary and Mick to give us an analytical view of certain parts of the game and refereeing decisions.

And as for Adi, he can just oxf*rd off with email-Rita, both useless in very different ways. One can’t read and the other can’t talk properly.

Dellor OUT

on the fence Mick can stay as the housing market is about to crash

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Dec 2018 17:17

Oilroyal We all pay an annual BBC licence fee and some of us also pay a yearly ifollow subscription to listen to live match broadcasts which should be presented by a professional sports broadcaster and commenter, not a football fan.

Some of us rely on the live match broadcast as our only means to be at the game but too often the whole matchday experience is spoilt by Dellor and Williams talking nonsense. I would prefer Dellor to give a professional running commentary and Mick to give us an analytical view of certain parts of the game and refereeing decisions.

And as for Adi, he can just oxf*rd off with email-Rita, both useless in very different ways. One can’t read and the other can’t talk properly.

Dellor OUT

on the fence Mick can stay as the housing market is about to crash

How boring.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Dec 2018 17:41

sandman
Old Man Andrews Not even slightly a good post. Anyone who thinks Mick Gooding is decent on the radio needs their head checking, he might as well not be there. He is a fence sitter and offers zero to the coverage.

The other two are there to shove their opinions in everyone's faces. It's good to have someone who provides a bit of balance.

Have to laugh at you attacking the local media over and over and then defending Williams who is the worst of the lot.

Bore off dullard.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Dec 2018 17:47

Oilroyal We all pay an annual BBC licence fee and some of us also pay a yearly ifollow subscription to listen to live match broadcasts which should be presented by a professional sports broadcaster and commenter, not a football fan.

Tbf, Dellor's resume and work experience is decent? Bachelor's degree in Sport and Exercise Science, Master's degree in Broadcast Journalism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Dellor

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Dec 2018 17:56

Denver Royal

Tbf, Dellor's resume and work experience is decent? Bachelor's degree in Sport and Exercise Science, Master's degree in Broadcast Journalism.

Yeah the guy is without question a decent sports commentator, can't believe anyone is questioning that.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 31 Dec 2018 18:08

Old Man Andrews
Gunny Fishcake
paddy20
Totally disagree. We have a total fan (Dellor) who speaks from his heart and two great ex-pros. Wouldn't want to change that

Hear hear, anybody who questions Adi’s loyalty and passion for our club is deluded. He’s been there , done it and literally worn the shirt which none of us have .......unless there are some ex players on HNO ? There’s a thought

Yet you can't get his name right?

I actually feel sorry for you.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Dec 2018 18:13

Gunny Fishcake
Old Man Andrews
Gunny Fishcake
Hear hear, anybody who questions Adi’s loyalty and passion for our club is deluded. He’s been there , done it and literally worn the shirt which none of us have .......unless there are some ex players on HNO ? There’s a thought

Yet you can't get his name right?

I actually feel sorry for you.

It's not difficult to get someones name right. Lazy.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 31 Dec 2018 20:17

Old Man Andrews
Denver Royal

Yeah the guy is without question a decent sports commentator, can't believe anyone is questioning that.

Don't agree - he's useless and has only got on because of daddy's contacts (Ralph Dellor)

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Dec 2018 21:47

Old Man Andrews
sandman

Bore off dullard.

Says the bloke getting upset about a oxf*rd letter in a name. :lol:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 01 Jan 2019 12:21

I only get to hear Berks on match days and from my experience of local radio the Berks boys are about par.

Dellor, a bit like Mellor (unintended fabulous poetry), is a posh boy who doesn't know much about football but comes across as enthusiastic.
Mick is the hardened old pro who likes to see good in players and the club.
Adie is somewhere inbetween-clearly not posh and a bit more opinionated than Mick.

I think some have been a bit harsh on Adie-IMHO he has made a much better job of broadcasting than I ever expected him to.
Having seen him make his debut at right-back some years ago I feel quite paternalistic towards him and want him to do well-he is , as he always calls Mick, a Reading legend.

My one complaint about their coverage ( I only hear a bit before games, not the commentary, and a half hour afterwards) is that they never know much about what is going on at the club such as injuries, potential transfers etc. and spend time guessing just as we fans do about why somebody is not in the squad, are they injured etc.?

It's local radio, don't expect the intellect and standard of a Radio 4.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 01 Jan 2019 18:14

Victor Meldrew
My one complaint about their coverage ( I only hear a bit before games, not the commentary, and a half hour afterwards) is that they never know much about what is going on at the club such as injuries, potential transfers etc. and spend time guessing just as we fans do about why somebody is not in the squad, are they injured etc.?

It's local radio, don't expect the intellect and standard of a Radio 4.

Just on this, it's quite tricky to build up inside knowledge when the pieces have been moving so rapidly behind the scenes. It's not the same as it was a decade ago where everyone inside the club knew what was going on.

Likewise, with players themselves more unapproachable than ever and taught to be mega media savvy, fewer bits and pieces get out. The best you can hope for is to somehow get in with the DoF or someone very high up.

Similarly, Dellor has a lot of other responsibilities on his plate and perhaps doesn't have the time that a local journo may have had years ago to cultivate relationships. It's the same reason people like Courtney and JLow seemingly get caught off guard so often.

Not excusing them all for failing to get information but it's a very tricky job even for professionals with a lot of experience.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Jan 2019 18:48

Some of the callers post match were more embarrassing than the players performance today and that's really saying something.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 01 Jan 2019 19:19

Old Man Andrews Some of the callers post match were more embarrassing than the players performance today and that's really saying something.

In what way? I will listen to tomorrow. Wasn't in the right frame of mind tonight to listen.
I bet Terry from the Isle of fxcking Wight rang in.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Jan 2019 19:27

Guys, please stop getting wound up by trolls.

Click on username and add as "foe" then his posts will be hidden,

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Jan 2019 19:52

I think most fans who call in on BBC Berks have no clue at all

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 01 Jan 2019 19:57

Can anyone shed any light on the Gomes Vs Dellor post match interview?

I missed it but there were a few interesting comments on Twitter.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Jan 2019 20:05

Ranty McRantface Can anyone shed any light on the Gomes Vs Dellor post match interview?

Tim said the Stam/Gomes style doesn't work for us.

Gomes said who got Reading to the Play Off final?

Dellor said Stam.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Jan 2019 20:26

sandman
Ranty McRantface Can anyone shed any light on the Gomes Vs Dellor post match interview?

Dellor said Stam.

Tim was trying (badly) to make the point that “Stamball” didn’t work once key players left. Not really anything contentious just not worded particularly well when speaking with someone whose natural language isn’t English and Gomes quite rightly asked him who got the club to the PO final.

Gomes also clearly stated his version of the passing game is not like “Stamball” he doesn’t want players just keeping the ball for the sake of possession he wants to seem them using the ball to pull opponents around and make space for quick movement. He also stated when there is an opportunity for players to go for goal then they should do that and not fartarse about Looking for the perfect moment.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jan 2019 20:28

Sutekh
sandman

Dellor said Stam.

Tim was trying (badly) to make the point that “Stamball” didn’t work once key players left. Not really anything contentious just not worded particularly well when speaking with someone whose natural language isn’t English and Gomes quite rightly asked him who got the club to the PO final.

Gomes also clearly stated his version of the passing game is not like “Stamball” he doesn’t want players just keeping the ball for the sake of possession he wants to seem them using the ball to pull opponents around and make space for quick movement. He also stated when there is an opportunity for players to go for goal then they should do that and not fartarse about Looking for the perfect moment.

Unfortunately, that's similar to what Stam said he wanted. It's just not what he delivered. And (exceptionally early in his reign) it doesn't appear to be what Gomes is delivering either.