JOSE GOMES' BARMY ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

115 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

JOSE GOMES' BARMY ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Millsy » 05 Jan 2019 21:34

Ok, time for some positivity. We all know we need it and it is certainly not undeserved after today.

The boys did us VERY proud today.

Gomes is very respectful of the club and the players and they seem to be responding to him and his playing style. Its' time we do too.

These guys have it in them to keep us up. If they can play like that when they have no pressure then it's our responsbility to relax the pressure on them at home so they can do it here too.

So far I'm v pleased with Gomes and am really believing in the players for once.

WE CAN DO THIS. COME ON READING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: JOSE GOMES' BARMY ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2019 21:37

Give the man an even-break

He is here to hatchet the squad down

I wish him all of the best

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Jan 2019 21:50

It has to begin with a win against Forest. We have to start scoring goals, Playing one upfront isn’t imho enough. I would like to see two strikers played ....preferably Bod and Loader. However they need a much better service than they are currently receiving. So do we play narrow and scrap our underperforming wingers? Do we bring a winger in during this window?

When Ezatolahi is fit what is the make up of our central midfield?
Moore is now fit. So who plays alongside him? Ilori could be going. Does Blackett come back in? Or do we look to bring in a beast at centre back who can dominate in the air?
Yiadom will continue at right back but do we stick with Richards on the left? If we do he has to be careful with his passing because he gets caught out too far forward too often.

I hope you’re right about Gomes. I quite like his interviews. It’s one thing saying the right thing for radio Berkshire listeners. That doesn’t bring points and wins to the table. We desperately need a win. It’s over two months since the last one. Let’s hope he can deliver. I wish him all the best.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2019 22:13

Yep, I sort of wish he’d been in at the start of the season and given a proper chance to work with some of the players

However, is just about getting results now. No time to look good etc. For all his ideas and confidence he seems to have given a couple of the players, we desperately need 3 points next week. Playing the way he is trying to implement isn’t really the traditional way to battle to some points but maybe is the best with the players at his disposal

He’ll certainly need a fair bit of luck and support.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2019 22:19

Jeez

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Jan 2019 22:20

AthleticoSpizz Jeez

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2019 22:30

Lower West
AthleticoSpizz Jeez

in reference to nobody wanting him here when he was was first appointed

then all of a sudden wishing that he was here at the ‘start of the season’ stuff :lol:

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Jan 2019 23:37

AthleticoSpizz
Lower West
AthleticoSpizz Jeez

then all of a sudden wishing that he was here at the ‘start of the season’ stuff :lol:

Let's see how the next 8 games go. That should be sufficient to see if his ideas actually work on the field. That's where Stam failed. He knew how he wanted his teams to play but was unable to adapt to an alternative style to the players he had. Many of his (and Teverden's) signings simply didn't work out. The squad at last looks in the best shape it has for some considerable time. With plenty of real prospects for the future. Just needs some calm heads, experience and steel to provide on field leadership.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jan 2019 23:40

I like him. His comments about trimming the squad are bang on and he's started using Aluko and Swift better than Clement did.

That's as much as I'll say if you're looking for positives.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Jan 2019 01:56

Snowflake Royal I like him. His comments about trimming the squad are bang on and he's started using Aluko and Swift better than Clement did.

Clement was an appalling manager. The players hated him, apparently, and his stats are beyond shit. As in worst RFC manager ever. Possibly.

I’m sure you’ll check and report back. If I’m wrong.

It really was a shit show.anyway.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Jan 2019 08:11

Gomes may well be the perfect manager for what Reading are trying to do. Fact remains it may well also be completely the wrong time to put him into the job.

Only time will tell on that though.

Biggest issue ahead for the club is that it’ll likely need a minimum of 45 points to stand a chance of staying up and therefore has 20 games left to get 25 points when previously it managed just 20 from 26 games (or if you look at league games 2018 as a whole it’s something like 35 points from 47 games).

So very basically the club has to go from winning 7 league games in 47 to winning 8 games or so in 20. You see the difficulty there?

If Gomes manages that then, IMO, promotion to and survival in the PL will be a cinch.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jan 2019 08:11

AthleticoSpizz
Lower West
AthleticoSpizz Jeez

A little out of context that though. The context being it’s a difficult time of the season to be implementing his playing style - whereas I think it would have been more successful if he’d joined in the summer

Been on record many times as saying I don’t think PC should have been sacked when he was and stick with that

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 06 Jan 2019 13:25

Hound
AthleticoSpizz
Lower West

A little out of context that though. The context being it’s a difficult time of the season to be implementing his playing style - whereas I think it would have been more successful if he’d joined in the summer

Been on record many times as saying I don’t think PC should have been sacked when he was and stick with that

Gomes would have faced the same selection problems as PC. Aluko is undoubtably a gifted footballer. Doesn't have the inner character to put in a shift week in week out though. His return to the squad says it all. Watch how Manchester Utd regrouped behind the ball when they lost possession. Whereas too many in our squad shrug their shoulders start walking or slowly jog back.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 06 Jan 2019 13:56

leon
Snowflake Royal I like him. His comments about trimming the squad are bang on and he's started using Aluko and Swift better than Clement did.

Clement was an appalling manager. The players hated him, apparently, and his stats are beyond shit. As in worst RFC manager ever. Possibly.

I’m sure you’ll check and report back. If I’m wrong.

It really was a shit show.anyway.

I have zero inside knowledge, but it seemed to me the only one that was sorry Clement was going was Meite, as Clement had given him his chance. There was some regrets from players that they were playing badly and had let the club down, but not much about letting Clement himself down.

Swift is a frustrating player. but he's one of the few with the creativity to actually do something. If Gomes gets the best out of him (and somehow manages to eliminate some of the silly errors) he'll do a lot for us.

I see from this Steve Sidwell rates Swift and Gomes apparently.
https://www.football.london/reading-fc/ ... n-15634609

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 06 Jan 2019 14:26

Zip It has to begin with a win against Forest. We have to start scoring goals, Playing one upfront isn’t imho enough. I would like to see two strikers played ....preferably Bod and Loader. However they need a much better service than they are currently receiving. So do we play narrow and scrap our underperforming wingers? Do we bring a winger in during this window?

Moore is now fit. So who plays alongside him? Ilori could be going. Does Blackett come back in? Or do we look to bring in a beast at centre back who can dominate in the air?
Yiadom will continue at right back but do we stick with Richards on the left? If we do he has to be careful with his passing because he gets caught out too far forward too often.

I hope you’re right about Gomes. I quite like his interviews. It’s one thing saying the right thing for radio Berkshire listeners. That doesn’t bring points and wins to the table. We desperately need a win. It’s over two months since the last one. Let’s hope he can deliver. I wish him all the best.

Loader? Really?
I've seen enough of him quite frankly to see he needs to be shipped out on loan and nowhere near our first team. That one on one decision yesterday to take the extra touch and try and round the keeper and making a real mess of that chance summed up where he is at the minute.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jan 2019 14:48

Ascotexgunner
Zip It has to begin with a win against Forest. We have to start scoring goals, Playing one upfront isn’t imho enough. I would like to see two strikers played ....preferably Bod and Loader. However they need a much better service than they are currently receiving. So do we play narrow and scrap our underperforming wingers? Do we bring a winger in during this window?

Loader? Really?
I've seen enough of him quite frankly to see he needs to be shipped out on loan and nowhere near our first team. That one on one decision yesterday to take the extra touch and try and round the keeper and making a real mess of that chance summed up where he is at the minute.

He made a mess of that chance but I think he can link up play and would want to see how he does in a two man attack. No probs if McNulty is given a chance ahead of him and alongside Bodvarsson.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 06 Jan 2019 15:06

When was the last time we had a young player go on loan to a League 1 or 2 club and be successful?

Really interested to know what you think Loader is going to learn at a League 1 or 2 club.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jan 2019 15:11

Don Samuel maybe? If not, Tshibola

Agree don’t think a loan would do him a great deal of good tbh. Not at his age. Better just training with the first team

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Jan 2019 15:15

He needs a goal. Then he’ll kick on I reckon.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 06 Jan 2019 15:18

Ascotexgunner Loader? Really?

Based on yesterday's game, on par with Rashford? Or does he need to stand on the ball and fall over to achieve that?

Overall though I'd agree. He doesn't quite have it in him yet to play up front on his own, especially with the kind of service he receives from midfield.

115 posts